Evaluate my profile for International B-School (Ivy League)

Hi All I am a working professional from Samsung (Mobile R&D; division - Bangalore). I am looking for a brief guideline and profile assessment before applying to highly-esteemed international B-schools (which demand considerable amount of ti…

Hi All

I am a working professional from Samsung (Mobile R&D; division - Bangalore).
I am looking for a brief guideline and profile assessment before applying to highly-esteemed international B-schools (which demand considerable amount of time as well as money).

It would be great if the experts suggest me schools which are best-fitted for my profile.
As I am new in the forum, please feel free to redirect my post to appropriate folder.

~~Profile~~
Target Schools - MIT Sloan, Duke, Fuqua, Kellogg and INSEAD.
Male, 25 yrs old, born in Kolkata, India

GMAT 710(92%), Q 50 (92%), V 35 (74%), AWA 5.0 (58%)

Undergrad
Jadavpur University, Bachelor of Engineering (May-June 200 Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering.

GPA
9.03/10

10+2
West Bengal State of Higher Secondary Education, 93.7%, Stood 17th among 0.5M (10+2) Exam takers, Stood 34th among 0.15M Engineering Entrance Exam takers.

Work
I have been working in Samsung R&D; since July 2008. So, it would be 4-year experience on July, 2012. I am currently engaged in development of operating system or data-platform on 4G based mobile handsets for Samsung Electronics. Along with designing, coding and validating software for market-changing 4G smart phones, I am involved in mentoring new engineers, brain-storming for new technological advances and sharing my knowledge across Samsungs various software development centers.

International Exposure
I have been travelling to International R&D; locations of Samsung (in 1month 3months on a single trip 14 months on total) since the onset of Android based smart phone development work in Dec 2008. Samsung Head quarter at South Korea, Samsung Telecommunication centers at NJ, Seattle, Dallas and Alcatel Luscent Labs in NJ are the places, where I have interacted with different engineers and managers and coordinated as an experienced engineer of my module from Samsung India, Bangalore. Currently, I am working for another flagship product of Samsung with AT&T; and Samsung Telecommunication America, Dallas.

Achievements
1)Appreciated by the Vice President of Samsung India, Bangalore and Korean Leads for notable performance in developing Samsungs first 4G Phone.
2)Offered National Merit Scholarship for standing 17th in higher secondary examination in 2004 by Human Resource Department, Govt. of India.
3)Won medals for promising performance in Intra-Dept University Soccer League and Corporate Soccer tournament conducted for 32 corporate teams in Bangalore.
4)I was a contributing player of my Schools under-19 Cricket tournament. We have won several district level and state level tournaments.

Social-Responsibility
1) I am a part of my schoolmates who have established a Non-Profitable-Organization under the State norms. The organization is dedicated to help poor and needy students by providing notebooks, grocery etc, organize medical camp etc. This organization is currently working with the poor students of my Alma Mater.
2) I am a part of SISO-Seva, which is another NPO that helps local orphanages in Bangalore.
3) I have offered free tuition when I was pursuing under-graduated education.

Goals As a working professional, who works on cutting-edge data-oriented 4G technology, and an open-eyed ambitious person, who takes interest on marketing acumen of several biggies and the start-up life-cycle of promising entrepreneurial ventures, I believe that MBA from the Ivy League schools can provide me the launch pad to try my dream plan. I have a long term goal of establishing world class online delivery system of grocery and beverages. I know that its an open category and inherits enormous challenges from established traditional players, but, with global knowledge, research oriented course-curriculum, risk-taking and bright business network, it can be highly possible to position a global brand of online delivery system.

Hi All

I am a working professional from Samsung (Mobile R&D; division - Bangalore).
I am looking for a brief guideline and profile assessment before applying to highly-esteemed international B-schools (which demand considerable amount of time as well as money).

It would be great if the experts suggest me schools which are best-fitted for my profile.
As I am new in the forum, please feel free to redirect my post to appropriate folder.

~~Profile~~
Target Schools - MIT Sloan, Duke, Fuqua, Kellogg and INSEAD.
Male, 25 yrs old, born in Kolkata, India

GMAT 710(92%), Q 50 (92%), V 35 (74%), AWA 5.0 (58%)

Undergrad
Jadavpur University, Bachelor of Engineering (May-June 200 Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering.

GPA
9.03/10

10+2
West Bengal State of Higher Secondary Education, 93.7%, Stood 17th among 0.5M (10+2) Exam takers, Stood 34th among 0.15M Engineering Entrance Exam takers.

Work
I have been working in Samsung R&D; since July 2008. So, it would be 4-year experience on July, 2012. I am currently engaged in development of operating system or data-platform on 4G based mobile handsets for Samsung Electronics. Along with designing, coding and validating software for market-changing 4G smart phones, I am involved in mentoring new engineers, brain-storming for new technological advances and sharing my knowledge across Samsungs various software development centers.

International Exposure
I have been travelling to International R&D; locations of Samsung (in 1month 3months on a single trip 14 months on total) since the onset of Android based smart phone development work in Dec 2008. Samsung Head quarter at South Korea, Samsung Telecommunication centers at NJ, Seattle, Dallas and Alcatel Luscent Labs in NJ are the places, where I have interacted with different engineers and managers and coordinated as an experienced engineer of my module from Samsung India, Bangalore. Currently, I am working for another flagship product of Samsung with AT&T; and Samsung Telecommunication America, Dallas.

Achievements
1)Appreciated by the Vice President of Samsung India, Bangalore and Korean Leads for notable performance in developing Samsungs first 4G Phone.
2)Offered National Merit Scholarship for standing 17th in higher secondary examination in 2004 by Human Resource Department, Govt. of India.
3)Won medals for promising performance in Intra-Dept University Soccer League and Corporate Soccer tournament conducted for 32 corporate teams in Bangalore.
4)I was a contributing player of my Schools under-19 Cricket tournament. We have won several district level and state level tournaments.

Social-Responsibility
1) I am a part of my schoolmates who have established a Non-Profitable-Organization under the State norms. The organization is dedicated to help poor and needy students by providing notebooks, grocery etc, organize medical camp etc. This organization is currently working with the poor students of my Alma Mater.
2) I am a part of SISO-Seva, which is another NPO that helps local orphanages in Bangalore.
3) I have offered free tuition when I was pursuing under-graduated education.

Goals As a working professional, who works on cutting-edge data-oriented 4G technology, and an open-eyed ambitious person, who takes interest on marketing acumen of several biggies and the start-up life-cycle of promising entrepreneurial ventures, I believe that MBA from the Ivy League schools can provide me the launch pad to try my dream plan. I have a long term goal of establishing world class online delivery system of grocery and beverages. I know that its an open category and inherits enormous challenges from established traditional players, but, with global knowledge, research oriented course-curriculum, risk-taking and bright business network, it can be highly possible to position a global brand of online delivery system.

Dude,

Your profile is competitive for top schools, however, your goals amused me ...

First of all, your sentence "I believe that MBA from the Ivy League schools can provide me the launch pad to try my dream plan" shows lack of research, vision and highlights the stereotyped mindset about IVY league colleges..

Second, I wonder from where and how your work ex leverages your goal of an online delivery of system of grocery and beverages... I think that is what you really want to do, but, I believe to write it in the way you have written it is childish or better, to write it in your essays and convincing 'IVY league' adcoms to take you is suicidal... You better stick to some natural progression unless you got some evidence to back your online thingy ..

Third, can you tell me which source did you refer to while writing the goals para ... It's in one word: GLOBE, which is going round robin and robin and robin ...

Think about your short term goals and long term goals and use simple words to portray them ..

HTH !

Thanks for cutting to the chase. It's indeed a helpful feedback.

Second, I wonder from where and how your work ex leverages your goal of an online delivery of system of grocery and beverages... I think that is what you really want to do, but, I believe to write it in the way you have written it is childish or better, to write it in your essays and convincing 'IVY league' adcoms to take you is suicidal... You better stick to some natural progression unless you got some evidence to back your online thingy ..

I feel the online delivery system of grocery and beverage is not a disjoint dream in my case. I am working in 4G technology driven market of USA. I have found how people are using LTE data and how they are moving towards e-commerce. With the advent of 3G technologies, the economic trend of look-to-east and Indian consumer's bolstered belief on e-commerce (thanks to FlipKart.com, JustDial.com, and Snapdeal.com), I can foresee the huge market where full retail system can run online. Instead of taking on biggies, I can establish a well-connected network of vendors, reliable vendor system and fast-customized-SEO oriented web-infrastructure to realize my dream. But, I need seed capital, investor base, understanding of data-metrics that can be provided by an internationally acclaimed b-school. ISB is my first choice as my target prospect is Indians. I have already applied to ISB. But, candidly speaking, with my low score (I heard 710 is low compared to the pool to which I belong), I have to keep my planB ready.
I believe ivy-league schools and INSEAD are the best brandings available in the market. I have keen interest in marketing. I have seen my father working as a sales executive, and I have worked in Multi-level networking business to help out my father to carry the expense of a joint family. What I have learned from there is the concept of - Out-to-in thinking, and climbing up prospect's mind. I have seen Samsung doing the same since I have joined SS in July 2008. In 2008, Nokia has a bragging market share of 60%, but with the aggressive marketing, customizing product to cater to any class citizen, forming a brand name in mobile market, SS has won the game, topping the US market. I want to nurture my interest in the old and globally-praised (Global sounds again in my writing - because isn't that I look for? :-O ) B-schools. A challenging job in marketing can hone my acumen and make me more open to the market-structure. Definitely, my academics lean much towards the technical field; can't we expect a blend of analytical skill and marketing expertise?

Third, can you tell me which source did you refer to while writing the goals para ... It's in one word: GLOBE, which is going round robin and robin and robin ..

The para is not copied. But the profile format is taken from an old MGMAT post. I do believe my goal para need to be tweaked and polished (may be a lot :-))

Think about your short term goals and long term goals and use simple words to portray them ..

I went on my long term goal. My ST goal depends on the school (since, school and the location will affect my decision to choose one between PlanA and PlanB)

In short, I crave for "THAT on my own".

I would request you to give a critique. If possible, please provide your mail id,so that we can continue via mail.
Thanks for cutting to the chase. It's indeed a helpful feedback.

I feel the online delivery system of grocery and beverage is not a disjoint dream in my case. I am working in 4G technology driven market of USA. I have found how people are using LTE data and how they are moving towards e-commerce. With the advent of 3G technologies, the economic trend of look-to-east and Indian consumer's bolstered belief on e-commerce (thanks to FlipKart.com, JustDial.com, and Snapdeal.com), I can foresee the huge market where full retail system can run online. Instead of taking on biggies, I can establish a well-connected network of vendors, reliable vendor system and fast-customized-SEO oriented web-infrastructure to realize my dream. But, I need seed capital, investor base, understanding of data-metrics that can be provided by an internationally acclaimed b-school. ISB is my first choice as my target prospect is Indians. I have already applied to ISB. But, candidly speaking, with my low score (I heard 710 is low compared to the pool to which I belong), I have to keep my planB ready.
I believe ivy-league schools and INSEAD are the best brandings available in the market. I have keen interest in marketing. I have seen my father working as a sales executive, and I have worked in Multi-level networking business to help out my father to carry the expense of a joint family. What I have learned from there is the concept of - Out-to-in thinking, and climbing up prospect's mind. I have seen Samsung doing the same since I have joined SS in July 2008. In 2008, Nokia has a bragging market share of 60%, but with the aggressive marketing, customizing product to cater to any class citizen, forming a brand name in mobile market, SS has won the game, topping the US market. I want to nurture my interest in the old and globally-praised (Global sounds again in my writing - because isn't that I look for? :-O ) B-schools. A challenging job in marketing can hone my acumen and make me more open to the market-structure. Definitely, my academics lean much towards the technical field; can't we expect a blend of analytical skill and marketing expertise?

The para is not copied. But the profile format is taken from an old MGMAT post. I do believe my goal para need to be tweaked and polished (may be a lot :-))

I went on my long term goal. My ST goal depends on the school (since, school and the location will affect my decision to choose one between PlanA and PlanB)

In short, I crave for "THAT on my own".

I would request you to give a critique. If possible, please provide your mail id,so that we can continue via mail.

Dude,

Whatever be the case.. hope you got my point.. You should study the online retail thing in depth, as I can see a lot of websites already in that space...

2ndly, I am just another fellow applicant and not an adm counsellor.. Sharing the mail id and then having the convo defeats the purpose of the thread/forum... There is nothing more to address anyway.. You have got a lot of content in ur profile and I think you would be able to do justice to most of the top schools essays ...

Gud luck and yeah, 710 is not a low score... it is a 'humanly' acceptable score and all ad com members are humans ...

B/w I just noticed your target schools:

MIT Sloan, Duke, Fuqua, Kellogg and INSEAD

Man.. that's a killer... Duke and Fuqua IS one school and not ARE two schools...

Kellogg should be good and competitive... 22nd was the deadline for Part 1.. If you havent submitted ur CV then you are out of R1...

MIT -> again gud.. My research is limited on this school..

Duke (Fuqua) - Again very good esp. in marketing and healthcare

INSEAD -> undoubtedly good but just 10 months course... depends on work ex, post mba goals, blah, blah ...

Consider Tepper, it is a very good technology school. Also, check UCLA... but then these are far below your IVY league criteria ...

Over and out !

Hi Eminem,

As I said earlier, I appreciate your pedagogy in the whole matter, and your careful eyes don't even miss a "," (Duke , Fuqua - a typo :-)).

In case you are looking for schools that are strong in entrepreneurship (to help you in your e-commerce goal), then I would suggest you also look at Babson.
It's not Ivy league, but it might fit in with your goals.