ESSEC MBA- for sept 2010 intake

hey guys! anyone here applying to ESSEC mba this year? I’ve got my interview date this weekend. Anyone out here also coming along? and does anyone know process for applying to the eiffel scholarship? and what’s the probability of gettin …

hey guys!

anyone here applying to ESSEC mba this year? I've got my interview date this weekend. Anyone out here also coming along?

and does anyone know process for applying to the eiffel scholarship? and what's the probability of gettin thru?

cheers!

ranjita

Hey Ranjita,

I had my interview with ESSEC yesterday... Went pretty well... questions were pretty standard.. I think I gave satisfactory answers though there was no WOW moment.. I really like the School and the way the curriculum etc has been structured..

As far as the Eiffel Scholarship is concerned I think the school will directly do the application work for it consultation with you only after you get accepted to the the program.

The deadline for the same is some time in January and you come to in June or something as far as I remember.. all details are available through the ESSEC website.. will post a link or something once I find it..

How was your interview.. could you share a profile.. not a lot of discussions going on about ESSEC on pagalguy so would like to understand the type of applicants...

Thanks,

URSB

oh! finally... i was abt to ask ki itna sanaata kyon hai? 😁

my interview was pretty ok too.. just general qns on why mba, why now, why essec etc... apparently results shud be out by dec 4th. (prety quick no?)
how many ppl had interview along with u? thr were only 3-4 ppl on friday i think...

as for profile, i'm a biotech engg in sales mktg for past 1.5 yrs.. so, i'm not too strong on wk ex front.. how abt u? wots ur profile?

cheers!
ranj

lol... there are a few ppl on the ESSEC 2008 Admits thread... But I guess starting this thread makes more sense...

Profile:

Work Ex: 3 years(Marketing, Sales, Project Management, International Business) Small Technology firm - Product Based

GMAT: 710

Extras: Decent, lots of sports

Post Career Goals: Start a venture around Internet marketing...

Acads: just about ok

I think they've pretty much made up their mind by the interview shortlisting time... now they going to filter it out a bit...

I had my interview on Sunday morning.. there was one candidate before me.. also from Pune... he had around 2 yr of sales experience for Cummins.. Must be around 6 ppl on each day I suppose.. so around 18...

They had a total of around 30 Indians last yr for al prgorams.. So my guess.. pure guess would be selecting around 7-8 from this round... Oh well the speculation will end pretty soon...

best of luck..

hi guys,

can you elaborate a lil on the dual degree program from Essec and IIMA ? I could not find a single sentence on the website

Thanks !
Varun

you cannot do a dual degree with a school from your home country... any other option is available.. ask Annegret for more information...

decisions decisions decisions... ummm due date dec 4th... has anyone heard from the admission committee??

I got an admit!!! absolutely thrilled.... first admit... will be taking it based on the financials...

other ppl that applied pls get in on the discussions....

hey! me got admit too... where else u've applied? money does seem an issue... i'm hopin for some or the other scholarship... how abt u?

i think its better we discuss this on a slightly non - public forum.. I'll create a google group or something for all the admits from India...

If everyone has google wave.. we could use that.. it'll be a nice and easy way for everyone to collaborate...

Eiffel Scholarship anyone applying? any tips?

Guys,

I am first year student in the ESSEC MBA. I would suggest all of you to take a feedback from current students about ESSEC. It is a good business school but the ESSEC MBA is not a traditional one and may not be a good fit for everyone. Feel free to get an overview from all the current students as well.(Specially the international students including Indian students)

Cheers !

Guys,

I am first year student in the ESSEC MBA. I would suggest all of you to take a feedback from current students about ESSEC. It is a good business school but the ESSEC MBA is not a traditional one and may not be a good fit for everyone. Feel free to get an overview from all the current students as well.(Specially the international students including Indian students)

Cheers !

hey!

thanks for coming on this thread! Bievennue!

I guess there's just one major question on all our minds.. Eiffel scholarship! any tips? suggestions? reg essay etc..

Thanks in advance
cheers!
Guys,

Cheers !

Hey thanks a lot for joining the discussions.. seeing as you are a current student.. may be you could elaborate a bit on the fit aspect and feedback regarding your experiences there... good and bad... Also could you please give us a brief on your profile and future goals..

Thanks a lot,

Cheers

URSB

I can give you an idea of what i meant by fit.

Eg: ESSEC brochure quantitatively mentions excellent placements in consulting and finance which is very true. But its kind of misleading as it does not apply to you as you are not a native french. The best consulting firms in the world BCG, Bain, McKinsey all come to essec to recruit, but it wont be for you as they recruit only french native speakers.So even knowing french wont be enough. French is needed in Finance as well though not a perfect level as consulting.Clubs at essec including the finance and consulting clubs and management competitions are run totally in french so you will not have access to these.

The essec MBA is a very different model when compared to HEC or INSEAD and most other MBAs. It focussed mainly on fresh french graduates from college or students with little work experience. So some of the things which you expect will not fit in if you have more than 3 years of work ex. Again, dont just go by one opinion, try and ask as many questions as possible to other current students.

Finally, dont just evaluate the MBA depending on scholarships that you receive if any. Try to find out more about YOUR career prospects post MBA. ESSEC is one of the best in France, but the bigger question is, is it the best for you. Best of Luck !

I will be in India during late december. drop in an email @ [email protected] if you guys want to talk to me or discuss more and learn about life in Paris !

Hey people!

I guess this thread is not very active but hoping someone will take my question.. I am planning to apply to the ESSEC MBA program and have a reasonable profile for an applicant. However, what is missing from my profile is international travel and work-experience. I want to know how critical it is for an applicant to have this. I am not a big fan of 'please rate my chances' posts that one usually sees on forums at PG, but I still want to ask you this - with my profile, do you recommend me to even apply to ESSEC?

UG: B.E. 70.3%
GMAT: 730/5.5
ECA: Diploma in French language + decent ECAs during college and work
WEx: 3.5 years at a French Company (Technology Sector) - Plenty of international co-workers!

Merci beaucoup!
Bonne anne!

K.

Guys ....here are some first hand experiences about hunting for internships or jobs through ESSEC. There are thousands of internships or job offers in the ESSEC portal from the best companies in the world...but...

1) 99% of the jobs/internships are for multinationals but only for France which require knowledge of fluent French.
2) Jobs/Interns in UK are extremely competitive and sometimes virtually impossible for Indians because of Visa Issues
3) Jobs in rest of Europe Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg etc all have strict language requirements and/or Visa issues
3) There are some international offers Singapore,Hongkong, Shanghai and even Mumbai in the job portal which sound very promising but most of these offers are reserved strictly for EU citizens. This is called VIE.

Hi Mafistofilis..

Thanks for sharing some invaluable information on ESSEC.. Could you help with a few more answers?

1. There is no info on the website as to which electives are offered in English and which in French? I found that an ESSEC rep was very reluctant in coming with straightforward answers to this question. If possible, could you provide the list of 200 electives and the language they are offered in?

2. How would you rate ESSEC for Marketing(not Luxury Marketing)? Is the marketing program global/focussed on the French market?

3. Does the program help one improve English Communication skills- considering that most students are French?

4. For lesser experienced candidates, would you recommend a Masters from RSM/IE/HEC Paris to an MBA from ESSEC?

Thanks again!!

And yes.. Congrats Ranjita and URSB.. Hope I join your ranks soon :-)

Btw, I chose ESSEC due to the
1. Apprenticeship program
2. my limited (3. the apparent flexibility that ESSEC offers in terms of electives.

1. Students get a handbook when they join which has the information about which course is in French and English. Its a huge list and I dont know whether I can share the handbook publicly. If you can ask me about a specific subject, i can look up and let you know whether its available in Eng and /or French. Also there is a concept of "Chairs" at essec which like a specialization in a particular industry Eg ; Health care, Luxury..these chairs have very good company associations...but most of the chairs are offered French (Few are in English)

2. I am not really a marketing guy..so dont have much info on marketing. But from my experience here , u cant say that essec is particularly good for finance or marketing. In my opinion all streams are equal at ESSEC. Also whether program at essec is a global program, thats a long debate with arguments both in favor and against..

3. The program at essec cannot be thought of as a platform to improve english for indians. Many french students take classes in english to improve their english/ business english. In my opinion this cannot apply to indians as indians are generally fluent in english already.

4. the essec program is suited for lesser experienced people. (less than 2 or zero work ex). I cannot comment on masters courses of other colleges like HEC as i dont have much idea about them.

5. Apprenticeship is a great program at essec for ppl with very little or no experience(one must be less than 26 years of age). both from monetary aspects and job experience. but note than its quite a challenge to get into Apprenticeship for indians unless u know fluent french. So is getting internships. It is definitely not easy unless u already know fluent french before coming here.