Engineering Management

Hi guys, I am a software engineer working with a firm for the past 10 months. I came across the MEM program offered by Duke and Dartmouth. Can somebody advise me on the advantages of this program. As an MBA in a reputed university would require…

Hi guys,
I am a software engineer working with a firm for the past 10 months. I came across the MEM program offered by Duke and Dartmouth. Can somebody advise me on the advantages of this program. As an MBA in a reputed university would require 3 years min exp and a lot of bucks...i thought this would be a better choice to switch careers. What about the job opportunities and how do i finance my studies...i am skeptical about taking loans...pls advice...

cheers
jinu

I have a duke admit too..Dint apply to dartmouth..

As far as reputation of both programs go, they are top class..Duke is one of the oldest em programs..Lot of flexibility at both places too from what i heard..Courses can be taken from the b schools too..

I think darty is a little more expensive than duke plus weather is cold ?..

As far as placements are concerned for indians, i know through the em community on orkut, that situation looks bleak with many cos unable to sponsor the h1b..to top it all, many indians with software exp profiles make competition for the few software jobs tough...

Thats as much as i know..

So since placements are bad...Dont u think its better to get into a B-school...instead of something specialized like EM.....What about finances...does one have to show the entire tition and livin expenses in the savings account for a visa?

hi i also thought of similar plans but not in us but in singpore( from nus) can any one comment on m.s in mot( master of tech management) m,s in iendustrial engg ( with specilisation in logistics or project management ) from nus

I am not sure if this is the right forum to continue this discussion.. but since you guys were discussing the Duke M.E.M program.. i thought I might have some information that could interest you guys.. one of my buddies and co-worker went to duke for the M.E.M program while i was just starting with the application process for a U.S. MBA degree..

Now he tells me that he is very happy with the quality of education.. the choices he has at duke and other things.. getting jobs wont be easy after an IT profile but you will eventually get one.. with some effort and focus from the start.. Since the duration of the program is short.. your internship search starts as soon as you get there.
however as far as I know.. you wont be able to switch from IT to any other domain .. He is going to join deloitte as a business technical consultant this july after working for a year in india.

The course is supposed to be good and you'll be a duke grad.. but you must be ready to take up normal IT jobs that could involve some coding..

That is all i can recollect from my memory right now.. but let me know if you wish to know something more specific.

Cheers!
A

Hey Wot me worry , thanx for the info....but does it actually matter what industry you worked in before the course.....this is because i am working in networking area which has nothing to do with coding....apart from that the we dont work in live environment...So there is much of on hand experience....It looks like u dont get to switch careers!! Well that was the whole idea...

Jinu,

I don't think your prior wk ex matters much.. although having some workex might help you waive off your internship requirement.. and this was something that helped my friend. Although he joined with one year wk ex.. a lot of his batch mates did not have any wrk ex... I guess career switch really depends on your internship search and you're most likely to find one in IT domain that would not involve much of hard core coding .. let me see if I can get my friend here to take your queries..

Cheers,
A

jinu_mathew Says
Hey Wot me worry , thanx for the info....but does it actually matter what industry you worked in before the course.....this is because i am working in networking area which has nothing to do with coding....apart from that the we dont work in live environment...So there is much of on hand experience....It looks like u dont get to switch careers!! Well that was the whole idea...

Hey A , thanks a lot...would be of great help

Cheers
Jinu

hi i hv got an admit from duke mem n usc for da same course. i hv an admit 4m neu for telecom sys mgmt. i want to kno which 1 is advisable. im enrolled in a mba prog in India. i wud also like to kno bout da jobs after mem..plz help..thanx