Employment post US/UK MBA for Non-IT in non IB, Finance/Consulting

Hi All, I have spent considerable time in the forums and information for non-it candidates and those who are not seeking a career in Investment Banking/Finance/Consulting is very scarce and scattered. There is tremendous knowledge and experi…

Hi All,

I have spent considerable time in the forums and information for non-it candidates and those who are not seeking a career in Investment Banking/Finance/Consulting is very scarce and scattered. There is tremendous knowledge and experience here, hats off to Senapati, and it would be nice if the gurus and those with first hand experience can throw more light on the issues that impact these applicants.

I think funding and employment in the US and UK post MBA are critical factors and it will be very useful to have a thread some of you could tell us or share your experiences about getting jobs in the US and UK in fields other than investment banking, consulting or finance. I am talking about media, marketing, general management. From what I have read because of context it may be very difficult to get jobs in these fields and when one is taking loans of upto $100000 this could land one in a serious soup. So what are options for these fields. Is it better to get an MBA in India? Does anybody have first hand experience of a job search post MBA in these fields?

Hi, After some more research I think I have discovered some interesting information about placements in the UK. The forums at infozee.com have quite a few Indians doing their MBA in the UK from the top 10 to second tier schools and their reports are not encouraging.

With the exception of those with hardcore IT and finance experience before the MBA few of the students have been able to secure placements. The MBA in UK is more useful for those from business families and those who are going to return to India. Others are finding it extremely difficult to find suitable employment.

This raises questions of the value of an MBA in UK for careers outside IT and finance if placements are critical to you. Taking a loan of more than 35 lakhs and not finding a job and returning to India is not the best way to secure your future and start you post MBA life. I would be very interested to hear about experiences in the US and Canada.

It does appear though that for marketing, media and other non finance and consulting gigs getting placements even after MBA in the top schools in UK/USA could be a problem. It would really be nice if those who have first hand experience of this or otherwise in the UK/US can contribute to this thread and clear the doubts one has. It could be better to target Indian schools for better placement prospects and career/job progression after MBA. A bit sad really because that really narrows choices.

The whole point of giving up ones job, taking huge loans and doing and MBA is to improve your prospects in the job market and secure better career options. If this is not going to happen and there are uncertainties post MBA , for instance not getting the type of jobs that are suitable in one's field or coming back to India start a job search this seriously undermines the value of the MBA. Of course you have a great and enriching experience, more exposure and you learn about business but what about leveraging that and your previous experience. Would love to hear others opinions on this.

Cmon guys, I have read over 400 threads on this forum and countless others on other forums. Placement figures and statistics for Indian MBA students in UK/US seem simply unavailable. Surely somebody in this forum has informed opinion on this. I realise the non-it applicants and non investment banking, finance and consultancy fields rules out over 99% of posters on this forum but I remain hopeful.

I have also logged in infozee 100 times n i have not seen any comment of MBA student from UK/US/Canada/aus/NZ..in infozee....Plz this is a request tht without searching anything dont give u r advices to anyone......u r wrong advice can hamper the career of other person...n i also wanna do MBA from Canada/uk....i m searching in net from the last 2/3 months n now i have a fair idea about MBA programs........99% people in the indian forums say no to anyone who wants to do MBA from abroad n alwys discourages others...Actually this portrays negative attitide of Indians...as Indians are famous to say NO in the beginning.....this is a fact....i can prove it.....for eg if we ll tel anything to anyone in the beginning an indian will always say no.....this has become our habit......Aspirants of MBA should not listen to the useless advices of others jst try to get admisson in gud school n take feedback from alumni of that school if possible........n go ahead with full enthusiasm n suceed...