Economics: Terms and Discussions

hii, guys i am student of B.SC. agriculture so i am not very much familiar with economics term and their meanings so a lot of of time i feel difficult in understanding the issue related to economics such as equity , stock , etc i have difficulty e…

hii, guys i am student of B.SC. agriculture so i am not very much familiar with economics term and their meanings so a lot of of time i feel difficult in understanding the issue related to economics such as equity , stock , etc i have difficulty especially understanding economics term . and one more point i am very poor in english as i am from a hindi medium school so here i want to discuss economic times editorial my view on editorail and i want to share difficult word with you puys so that we have a discussion on difficult word . i also want to welcom commerce BBA, student and my seniors please solve my querry related to economic terms in saral bhasa so that i can understand easily here i also discuss important news which is happening in economic world . so i want to request all puys please help me here in discussion of economic times with your valuable idea here from today i am posting i link of economic times editorial and difficult word which i found in that news paper and i am using oxford dictionary so if you find any problem then you please refer oxford 8th edition

most important:- if you find any mistake in this pls inform me as soon as possible
silver linings and a bright future
link for economic times Silver linings and a bright future - The Economic Times
optimism
noun [ uncountable ] ~ (about/for sth)
a feeling that good things will happen and that sth will be successful; the tendency to have this feeling
optimism about/for the future
We may now look forward with optimism .
a mood of cautious optimism
There are very real grounds for optimism.
Both sides have expressed optimism about the chances of an early agreement.
opp:-pessimism
(2)dregs noun
[ plural ]
1 the last drops of a liquid, mixed with little pieces of solid material that are left in the bottom of a container
coffee dregs
2 the worst and most useless parts of sth
the dregs of society
3 ( literary ) the last parts of sth
the last dregs of daylight
(3)flaw
noun
1 a mistake in sth that means that it is not correct or does not work correctly
syn:- defect , fault
The argument is full of fundamental flaws.
~ in sth The report reveals fatal flaws in security at the airport.
There is still a basic flaw in your selection procedure.
2 ~ (in sth) a crack or fault in sth that makes it less attractive or valuable
The vase is in excellent condition except for a few small flaws in its base.
3 ~ (in sb/sth) a weakness in sb's character
There is always a flaw in the character of a tragic hero.
(4)cynic
noun
1 a person who believes that people only do things to help themselves, rather than for good or sincere reasons
Don't be such a cynic!
2 a person who does not believe that sth good will happen or that sth is important
Cynics will say that there is not the slightest chance of success.
cyni - cism / BrE snszm ; NAmE snszm / noun [ uncountable ]
In a world full of cynicism she was the one person I felt I could trust.
(5)plod
verb
( -dd- ) [ intransitive , transitive ]
to walk slowly with heavy steps, especially because you are tired
syn:- trudge
+ adv./prep. Our horses plodded down the muddy track.
We plodded on through the rain.
~ your way + adv./prep. I watched her plodding her way across the field.
plod noun [ singular ]
(phrasal v)plod along/on to make very slow progress, especially with difficult or boring work
syn:-slog
(6)dent verb, noun
verb
1 ~ sth to make a hollow place in a hard surface, usually by hitting it
The back of the car was badly dented in the collision.
2 ~ sth to damage sb's confidence, reputation, etc
It seemed that nothing could dent his confidence.
noun
a hollow place in a hard surface, usually caused by sth hitting it
a large dent in the car door
(IDM)make, etc. a dent in sth
to reduce the amount of sth, especially money
The lawyer's fees will make a dent in our finances.
(7)obscure :- adjective, verb
adjective
1) not well known
unknown
an obscure German poet
We went to see one of Shakespeare's more obscure plays.
He was born around 1650 but his origins remain obscure.
2) difficult to understand
I found her lecture very obscure.
For some obscure reason , he failed to turn up.
The meaning of his comment was obscure to everyone but himself.
obscurely:- adverb
They were making her feel obscurely worried (= for reasons that were difficult to understand) .
verb
~ sth
to make it difficult to see, hear or understand sth
The view was obscured by fog.
We mustn't let these minor details obscure the main issue.
A shadow fell across her face, obscuring her expression.
(sun - dry
adjective
[ only before noun ] ( formal )
various; not important enough to be named separately
a watch, a diary and sundry other items
(IDM)all and sundry ( informal ):- everyone, not just a few special people
She was known to all and sundry as Bella.
The club is open to all and sundry.
(9)ponderous
( formal )
1 ( disapproving ) ( of speech and writing ) too slow and careful; serious and boring
SYN:-tedious
He spoke in a slow ponderous voice.
2 moving slowly and heavily; able to move only slowly
SYN:- laboured
She watched the cow's ponderous progress.
ponderously:-adverb
ponderousness:-noun [ uncountable ]
(10)cavil
verb
( -ll- , especially US -l- ) [ intransitive ] ~ (at sth) ( formal )
to make unnecessary complaints about sth
SYN:- quibble
Several countries cavilled at the cost of the project.
(11)arduous
adjective
involving a lot of effort and energy, especially over a period of time
an arduous journey across the Andes
The work was arduous.
arduously:- adverb
They searched arduously for clues.
(12)condemn
verb
express disapproval
1 ~ sb/sth (for/as sth) to express very strong disapproval of sb/sth,uaUally for
moral reasons
The government issued a statement condemning the killings.
The editor of the newspaper was condemned as lacking integrity.
sb to punishment
2 [ usually passive ] to say what sb's punishment will be
SYN:-sentence
~ sb (to sth) He was condemned to death for murder and later hanged.
~ sb to do sth She was condemned to hang for killing her husband.
sb to difficult situation
3 [ usually passive ] ~ sb to sth to force sb to accept a difficult or unpleasant situation
doom
He was condemned to a life of hardship.
They were condemned to spend every holiday on a rainy campsite.
sth dangerous
4 [ usually passive ] ~ sth (as sth) to say officially that sth is not safe enough to be used
a condemned building
The meat was condemned as unfit to eat.
show guilt
5 ~ sb to show or suggest that sb is guilty of sth
She is condemned out of her own mouth (= her own words show that she is guilty) here is my blog where we prepare together and discuss every thng so please give a look www.rkpushkar.wordpress.com

guys ihave a request to you if you have any query related to economics pls post it here and try put your view about economic times editorial so that we discuss the whole editorial and understand it better way you also post important news on economics so that we use this thread for economic times and economics discussion my blog rkpushkar and here try to post difficult question which i am not able to solve in each topic so if you have time you also put difficult question and ans my question i regularly update that page . thank you for helpso welcome on my blog page

First of all nice initiative. Good that we finally have a thread on eco, i myself am many a times flummoxed by the various terms and verbiage used in bussiness and eco.

Anyway i just want to share with fellow puys that i came across a book called "THE INTELLIGENT INVESTOR" BY BENJAMIN GRAHAM. I'm not through with it yet,but i'd say its a good book to get any one started. Deals with various terms through good examples..I'd suggest it to all of you out there who find themselves struggling in the incipent stages of unravelling the whole myth about economics!

First of all nice initiative. Good that we finally have a thread on eco, i myself am many a times flummoxed by the various terms and verbiage used in bussiness and eco.

Anyway i just want to share with fellow puys that i came across a book called "THE INTELLIGENT INVESTOR" BY BENJAMIN GRAHAM. I'm not through with it yet,but i'd say its a good book to get any one started. Deals with various terms through good examples..I'd suggest it to all of you out there who find themselves struggling in the incipent stages of unravelling the whole myth about economics!

Thaats the book the warren buffet admires and says " I'm 15% fisher and 85% benjamin"

Hi puys here is my review on one of the articles in ET dated i4th jan

Both, because neo-liberalism is the problem

Its a pretty stright forward article,talking about the flaws of a capitalist economy in general and the follies of the indian state for adhering to a capitalist economy in particular. It talks of a paradigm shift in the economic pattern from a solely healthy capitalism to a more so called "neo-liberalism", which made corruption so rampant that it became a socially acceptable vice. To sum up, it talks of India in the current perspective,where the state is marred by scam upon scam, yet the economy is on the rise. But all this is only making a few men richer by the day, whereas the majority of the country continues to struggle in poverty.

Now, what i would like to share are two terms which i came across in this article

Crony capitalism is a term describing an allegedly capitalist economy in which success in business depends on close relationships between business people and government officials. It may be exhibited by favoritism in the distribution of legal permits, government grants, special tax breaks, and so forth.

Neo-Liberalism can be considered to be an economic policy which emphasises on efficiency of private sector, open markets and free trade. The sole aim of this policy is to maximise the role of private sectors in deciding the economic and political priorities of the state.

Hi puys!

Here is the next edition of ET articles

Getting brainy in North Korea

The tone of the article is partly sceptical and partly satirical,being more inclined toward the latter. It talks of North Korea, a state known for its totalitarian regime. It is a critical analysis of North Korea's claim of having developed a so called "Brain Drink', which is capable of multiplying brain cells and preventing wrinklnig of the skin. Since N.K is a highly secretive country, practically inaccessible to the outside world, not much crededbility can be laid on these claims.

Few good words i came across in this article were

1.Dotty- Ridiculous or absurd. It also means someone who is feeble

2.Prowess- Superior skill or ability

3. Elixir- A hypothetical substance believed to be capable of prolonging life indefinitely

Usually used in the phrase "Elixir of life"

4. Effete- Depleted of vitality, force, or effectiveness; exhausted
It also means infertile

5. Geriatric- Relating to the aged

Hope to see more puys participating in this thread:

nice dude keep it and i am also back from today i also post my view

Nice initiative guys...Hope it helps many of ur fellow aspirants..

i want to ask a question from you puys why any country give fund to other country for their development what is the definite of this thing to the country for example indian president visit some other country and givie 200 crore for developing the health services then what is the benefit from this to INDIA

rkpushkar Says
i want to ask a question from you puys why any country give fund to other country for their development what is the definite of this thing to the country for example indian president visit some other country and givie 200 crore for developing the health services then what is the benefit from this to INDIA

first of all
it would strengthen ties between both the countries ,not only on economic terms but also on cultural and emotional front
secondly it also helps to better the health system , an aid for health is afterall an aid
thirdly,the aid receiving country would also be willing to help us in trouble
next ,it helps in branding the image of the country
lastly,it's politics it may win us some favours on international fronts like
say if india wants to pass a bill in un then that country would be more willing to support us
hope it's clear

and yes this thread is a nice initiative

cmon puys i want this thread to continue

no one posting ehhhhhhhhh???????????????

a nice initiative..even i am a novice and totally clueless of the economics.. infact the word "economics" doesnt give me a good feeling.. but i am looking forward for a healthy participation here and will try my best to contribute in it..

i am rajneesh pushker i want a bit help from you guys please i write a blog everyday i update some question . about something and book review in my own language so that i can improve my english so pls if you have time pls give a look on my blog try to post my mistake and how i improve this . you also post your point of view your comment always welcome rkpushkar: MISSION IIMA2011
thanks in advance

olrite..i guess i will have to take the initiative now..lets discuss something about the stock market and terms related to it..does somebody know what exactly is NSE and BSE and what is NIFTY..may be i am too dumb to ask dis..:lookround:

i am also looking for a simple answer
which even a layman can understand

guys pls i want your support pls read this link and comment after that please post you comment please B-schools may approach Supreme Court against AICTE notification rkpushkar: MISSION IIMA2011

i am also looking for a simple answer
which even a layman can understand
as far as i know..NSE was first a tax paying company in 1992 and then was recognised as a stock exchange.Stock exchange is a place where stock or share transactions take place.There are 50 major companies listed under NSE and the index for NSE is S&P; CNXC NIFTY also known as the NSE NIFTY, an index of 50 major stocks.

BSE is also a stock exchange which has 30 major companies listed under it..There are many other stock exchanges but these two are the major players in the INDIAN economy.
as far as i know..NSE was first a tax paying company in 1992 and then was recognised as a stock exchange.Stock exchange is a place where stock or share transactions take place.There are 50 major companies listed under NSE and the index for NSE is S&P; CNXC NIFTY also known as the NSE NIFTY, an index of 50 major stocks.

BSE is also a stock exchange which has 30 major companies listed under it..There are many other stock exchanges but these two are the major players in the INDIAN economy.

hmmmmmmm
good easy answer