Durham or Aston ??? help needed

Hi ppl, Im coming back to this forum after quite sometime.Was in touch during my gmat preps 6 months back… well i have planned to do my mba this yr from a gud uk univ…after analysis of rankings,accredits,reputation,cost etc i applied t…

Hi ppl,

Im coming back to this forum after quite sometime.Was in touch during my gmat preps 6 months back..

well i have planned to do my mba this yr from a gud uk univ..after analysis of rankings,accredits,reputation,cost etc i applied to durham,aston,newcastle upon tyne and glasgow...Im BE ECE 65%,gmat 620,ielts 7.5,4yrs exp. in technology sales at managerial level.....

I have received offers from Aston,Durham and Newcastle upon tyne.waiting for glasgow reply....my primary target is aston or durham....

now im having confusion in choosing btwn the two..durham,though located in a relatively small city, is alluring with its research background and being one of the oldest in UK.aston is definitely impressing with its triple accreditations and being located right in the heart of birmingham,the second city of UK.....

im looking forward to a school having very gud business network n contacts as this is what is going to help post mba...

Badly need help from u guys as I have to respond to the schools in next few weeks.........

Hi,

Well I am no mba expert, but I was in UK recently and finding a job in UK post mba is tough , a lot depends on your pre mba work experience. If you are planning to change careers post mba ,its hard to switch.

I visited durham last year and its an awesome student town,very close to newcastle and very small,the atmosphere is amazing and the university itself is pretty reputed.I knew a couple of greek students who were friends and who completed msc finance but could not find a job in UK and went back to greece.

Its better to apply for mba in universities which are on the HSMP list as you can stay in UK for 1 year after mba and look for a job and Im not sure if both these universities are on that list.I dont have much idea abt aston. Also for non europeans , work permit issue proves to be a major stumbling block.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply letsrendevous.

Reg. HSMP i think we can also apply seperately.But Iam not considering that as a factor in my choice.My basic criteria would be an established school with good industry links and a good mix of international students.Iam coming across schools which is having more than 60-70% Indians.Then there will b no point in doing an international mba.

The more i google the more im getting confused with data.If anybody cud provide me with links of specific blogs on these two universities or any email ids of guys studying there would be really helpful.....

waiting patiently......

Hi,

Which university did u prefer atlast. Coming to me, I am Tilak from Hyderabad, having 4 years of IT exp. I received offers from Durham,Glasgow,right now. Waiting for Leeds,Birmingham as well.
I hope you might have joined Durham/Aston. So, could you please guide me in selecting the College, and the location. Please mention the Post study stay in UK, as well.

Cheers,
Tilak

neosurey congrats on your admits.

i would choose durham over aston every day of the week and twice on sundays.

overall uni reputation in the UK of durham is head and shoulders over aston.

whether it solves your "business network" criteria i don't know - that may be a lot to ask for from a 1 year course, but i don't think being in birmingham is necessarily going to do that either.

things are pretty bad over here job wise. either choice is risky. good luck.

Hi ppl,

Im coming back to this forum after quite sometime.Was in touch during my gmat preps 6 months back..

well i have planned to do my mba this yr from a gud uk univ..after analysis of rankings,accredits,reputation,cost etc i applied to durham,aston,newcastle upon tyne and glasgow...Im BE ECE 65%,gmat 620,ielts 7.5,4yrs exp. in technology sales at managerial level.....

I have received offers from Aston,Durham and Newcastle upon tyne.waiting for glasgow reply....my primary target is aston or durham....

now im having confusion in choosing btwn the two..durham,though located in a relatively small city, is alluring with its research background and being one of the oldest in UK.aston is definitely impressing with its triple accreditations and being located right in the heart of birmingham,the second city of UK.....

im looking forward to a school having very gud business network n contacts as this is what is going to help post mba...

Badly need help from u guys as I have to respond to the schools in next few weeks.........

Hi everyone,

I have got full time MBA offers from Aston, Durham , Bradford and Nottingham. As it happens when you have options, I am thoroughly confused. Based on the FT and EIU rankings as well as triple accreditation I guess Aston and Durham stand out as winners.
When it comes to choose between Aston and Durham I'm finding it really difficult. Can anyone please throw some light on the way they compare in terms of reputation, post MBA job opportunities and overall experience?
I'll highly appreciate your help.

Thanks
Anirban

Hi everyone,

I have got full time MBA offers from Aston, Durham , Bradford and Nottingham. As it happens when you have options, I am thoroughly confused. Based on the FT and EIU rankings as well as triple accreditation I guess Aston and Durham stand out as winners.
When it comes to choose between Aston and Durham I'm finding it really difficult. Can anyone please throw some light on the way they compare in terms of reputation, post MBA job opportunities and overall experience?
I'll highly appreciate your help.

Thanks
Anirban

Hi Anirban,

I've also got unconditional offers from Aston,Durham,Leeds,Nottingham,Glasgow,Solvay(Belgium),St. Gallen's (Switzerland) & conditional admits from Strathclyde & Bath (GMAT)..& still confused ?

However..if we compare Aston & Durham..then there is some more weight towards..Durham. Both r triple accr.
ASTON:
Aston's advantage is Birmingham..however it is expensive..& there is 4k GBP difference from Durham's fees (18k).
DURHAM:
-Durham is much recognised than Aston
-Older (3rd oldest Univ..in UK..after Oxford & Cambridge)..
-Cheaper..4k GBP..than Aston
-Have good electives..
-Option to study an International language..
-Offer exchange programmes to very good schools..
-Good reputation in India..
..The only negative point of Durham..in comparison with Aston is..its Location..which is a county..& Aston is located in the 2nd city of UK.

What have u decided..b/w the two ?