Durham 2009 intake - Help needed

Hi , This is my first post on this forum. And must say that this forum is indeed a big plus to people like me. As my name suggests, I am a wannabe MBA grad. I have 9+ yrs of work exp in the IT industry with technical leadership during …

Hi ,
This is my first post on this forum. And must say that this forum is indeed a big plus to people like me.

As my name suggests, I am a wannabe MBA grad.

I have 9+ yrs of work exp in the IT industry with technical leadership during most of my tenure.

Qualification : BE (Comp Sc), MS (Software Systems)

I intend to do my MBA, and have decided to appy to "value-for-money" MBA schools in the UK. I want to come back to India after my MBA and hence do not intend to take a huge loan.

My poor GMAT score (
I have shorlisted Lancaster, Warwick, Edinburah, Durham, Starthclyde, Leeds and Bradford as my possible choices.

I have got a reject from Lancaster due to my poor GMAT score.
I have got an interview call with Durham and Leeds.
Awaiting Bradford and Edinburah

It would be great if someone on the forum could give their take on the Durham MBA and also share their interview experiences.

Cheers ,

Not a single reply! :confused:
Is Durham MBA not heard of ??

Hi ,
This is my first post on this forum. And must say that this forum is indeed a big plus to people like me.

As my name suggests, I am a wannabe MBA grad.

I have 9+ yrs of work exp in the IT industry with technical leadership during most of my tenure.

Qualification : BE (Comp Sc), MS (Software Systems)

I intend to do my MBA, and have decided to appy to "value-for-money" MBA schools in the UK. I want to come back to India after my MBA and hence do not intend to take a huge loan.

My poor GMAT score (
I have shorlisted Lancaster, Warwick, Edinburah, Durham, Starthclyde, Leeds and Bradford as my possible choices.

I have got a reject from Lancaster due to my poor GMAT score.
I have got an interview call with Durham and Leeds.
Awaiting Bradford and Edinburah

It would be great if someone on the forum could give their take on the Durham MBA and also share their interview experiences.

Cheers ,

Hi futurembagrad

I had applied for Durham as well and have received an interview call. Have you had your interview? If yes, can you please share what kind of questions were asked and your experience with the interviewee?

Thanks
SS
710/3yrs/IT

Hi SS ,

I just answered my interview with Dr. Allan Jessop.

The interview was OK and lets hope for the best.

Typical questions :
-> Describe my organization and what it does/strength/value etc
-> Current economic scene and how long do you think it will last.
-> Why MBA/now/Durham/long term goals.
-> Explain your work and the challanges you face.
-> Strengths/Weaknesses.
-> Any questions
-> How will you finance your MBA

When is your interview ?

So far I have got a good feedback on the Durham MBA and the university in general. I am still awating to hear from other schools.

What is your take on the Durham MBA ?

Cheers and all the best!

Hi futurembagrad ,

I have my interview scheduled on next monday.
I too have received good feedback about Durham. But I am not sure how good is its brand name in India, as we might have to come back .
I have applied to Lancaster and Bradford as well. But no response from any of them :(
Do let me know if you get any news from Bradford or Durham

Thanks,
SS

I have got a reply from Bradford. I have to answer their online test. I hope to do it this weekend.

And Durham said that they will take about 2 weeks to confirm my result.

I am eagerly awaiting Warwick and Starthclyde.

In case things go ok for Durham, i'll try to get in touch with some alumni here in India and get a first hand feedback. Let take a call after that.

Cheers!

I have got an admit for the Durham MBA - 2009. Got an e-mail for the unconditional offer yesterday.

The college and the university is good. But I am really not sure about its reputation here in India.

Can someone throw some light on this ?

Thanks in adv ,

Hey futurembagrad, Congrats for the admit!!

Hey can you tell me what should I mention in the essay related to Business Proposal in Leeds application? I have never prepared a business proposal. So should I mention the same?

Hi alphasumit,

I have given interview for Durham on 18 Feb.In their web site they have shown their average packege for 2008 was 45000 pound PA.How is the college all about.

Gautam

I have got an admit for the Durham MBA - 2009. Got an e-mail for the unconditional offer yesterday.

The college and the university is good. But I am really not sure about its reputation here in India.

Can someone throw some light on this ?

Thanks in adv ,

Hey futurembagrad,

Congrats for call,As far as their web site is concern there are lot of quotes from company people.You will have to contact some alumni....

Gautam

This is what I am trying to do. Contact an alumni here in India.
But I am unable to get anyone! :(

Alphasumit,
Regarding your question on the Leeds essay :
I too never gave any company business case in my career. But for the essay, I gave a business case from my company.

Dropping the essay might not be a good idea.

Futurembagrad, Thanks a lot for your guidance. I have submitted my application for Leeds and had the interview for Durham as well.

I have asked Durham admission commitee to provide me contacts of alumni in India. Will keep you updated as and when i receive any info.

Hi

I got the admit from Bradford yesterday 😃

Hi alphasumit,

I have given interview for Durham on 18 Feb.In their web site they have shown their average packege for 2008 was 45000 pound PA.How is the college all about.

Gautam

Hi Gautam,

Have you received any response from Durham after interview?
Also can you share your profile and which other schools have you applied to?

I had asked them to provide me some alumni contacts. So I will try to get in touch with them as soon as i get the contacts.
Hi

I got the admit from Bradford yesterday :)

Congratulations buddy!
So what have you decided ?
Which is better : Durham/Bradford ?

I have got 3 alumi contacts here in India. And I am yet to speak to them.

About Bradford,
Did you have an interview ?
Congratulations buddy!
So what have you decided ?
Which is better : Durham/Bradford ?

I have got 3 alumi contacts here in India. And I am yet to speak to them.

About Bradford,
Did you have an interview ?

Thanks man

I haven't got any response from Durham after the interview. But if I get through Durham, I would probably go for Durham only.

I will try to get in touch with the Bradford alumni as well. so lets see.

And I didn't have any interview with Bradford. They selected on the basis of essays only.

Do u have any specific reasons when you say that you would prefer Durham to Bradford ?

I just spoke to the alumni of Durham and the feedback is good. The only weak point is the reputation of Durham in India. Its not that good. Having said that, getting a job wont be a problem.
For that matter, Leeds, Bradford, Durham are all in the same league.

The quality of education, life in Durham, the size of the class is all very good. Durham is a town full of students and meeting up with peers and exposure is better in Durham.

So thatz about it on Durham.

Let me know your inputs on Bradford.

Hello Guys,

I got offers from Bradford and Nottingham. Awaiting results from few other universities. Any idea about the reputation of Bradford and Nottingham in India and in Europe?

Hello Guys,

I got offers from Bradford and Nottingham. Awaiting results from few other universities. Any idea about the reputation of Bradford and Nottingham in India and in Europe?

I am really not sure about Nottingham.
I have awaiting Bradford and have got Durham. So far the general opinion is that Durham is better.