Dropping MDI/NITIE/IIFT/SOM/SP/XL etc for Future CAT

Hey Guys…I have a call from IIFT Delhi.I am in a dilemma whether to join it or drop it and give CAT again.Though IIFT Delhi is an excellent institute but still wanted to get into one of the IIM’s.Leaving IIFT Delhi also seems to be risky as alre…

Hey Guys...I have a call from IIFT Delhi.I am in a dilemma whether to join it or drop it and give CAT again.Though IIFT Delhi is an excellent institute but still wanted to get into one of the IIM's.Leaving IIFT Delhi also seems to be risky as already I have 3 years of workex and few future CAT attempts left.My profile is also not that strong(BE Mumbai Univ Workex TCS) which can boost my MBA from US or ISB.Any help from seniors or fellow puys is welcome.I am sure there would be few ppl who have admits from colleges of the likes of IIFT like MDI,NITIE,XL etc would be thinking about the same.Thanks....

I think one should take the present opportunity and then look for better opportunities. CAT is very uncertain and no can can guarantee an IIM call before taking the exam.

If you are very keen on doing mba from IIM, then I would advice you to take IIFT admission and then try for IIMs next year. I came across some aspirants during IIM GD/PI who were studying in reputed institutes like xlri, fms, etc and were trying for IIM ABC. This way your risk would me minimum.

Anyway, your decision is yours.

Changezeee Says
Hey Guys...I have a call from IIFT Delhi.I am in a dilemma whether to join it or drop it and give CAT again.Though IIFT Delhi is an excellent institute but still wanted to get into one of the IIM's.Leaving IIFT Delhi also seems to be risky as already I have 3 years of workex and few future CAT attempts left.My profile is also not that strong(BE Mumbai Univ Workex TCS) which can boost my MBA from US or ISB.Any help from seniors or fellow puys is welcome.I am sure there would be few ppl who have admits from colleges of the likes of IIFT like MDI,NITIE,XL etc would be thinking about the same.Thanks....

hey dude, this is arpit, ur iift batchmate.
i would recommend that if ur too keen on ABC, FMS, or XLRI only then leave iift..otherwise i dont think u shud b leaving this place or taking a drop for that matter.
iift may not b the best b-school in india, but wen it comes to international business even iim's wud hv a hard time beating the same place for the respective course.
Changezeee Says

Me too in the same boat bro... have a call from MDI PGPM... 3 yrs of work ex in semiconductor industry... not sure of joining..
But the guiding principle is " A bird in hand is better than two in bush".

You(including me) can take CAT this year n hope for the best :gunsmilie:
Me too in the same boat bro... have a call from MDI PGPM... 3 yrs of work ex in semiconductor industry... not sure of joining..
But the guiding principle is " A bird in hand is better than two in bush".

You(including me) can take CAT this year n hope for the best :gunsmilie:

Let us make it Three .See you both at MDI.

waah gud to know that i am not the only one thinking like that
in my friend's opinion not the only fool!!!
waise i am waitlisted in NITIE which as per seniors shud get thru.

so now my thinking.
man CAT is really very uncertain as wud have accepted the fact that it all boils down to those 2.5hrs. no matter how hard u prepare its a bloody T20 game. IIM's bechaare kya karein itni population hai that's the only way for them.

since u have cracked IIFT(D) ur preparation for CAT this year wud have been very good and prolly u r feeling that 1-2 ques. in the section where u lost out u wud have landed up with a substring of "BLACKI" calls or must have got it this yhear but with high waitlist numbers or no converts.

I know buddy how one feels with gud levels of preps and confident of cracking it but cudn coz u didnt perform on one day. i also felt the same ki kya yaar TIME ke 5-6 mocks mein top 100 ranks aayi phir bhi crack kar nahin paaye. but remember any college be IIFT, NITIE,FMS,XL can only give u kick start rest u have perform , companies then won't care whr r u from.

i also consulted TIME, Noida faculty for counselling. and the faculty told me ki baccha socho agar CAT likhte waqt agle saal yeh dimaag mein aa jaaye that u have left NITIE for this day, then can u perform under this pressure??
so according to him writing GMAT is a must in cases like urs and me as GMAT is not that tuff compared to CAT. bhai qa-37, va-41 ques ke liye 75 minutes each hote hai, and only gud GMAT score can remove this pressure from us coz the score is valid for 5 yrs. so even if one doesn't has a gud profile after getting a gud score one can work on it and improve it thru work-ex some social work, hobbies etc. etc. then u will think ok ur score is valid for 5 yrs so even if u r unable to crack CAT u have a backup option.

and also one thing is also very sure in India competition for an MBA will neve decrease,it will only increase and that too exponentially.

take ur own call, and be mentally prepared that even in worst case u won't regret ur decision.

will let know similar thinking PUYS abt the decision i took for myself.

Changezeee Says

it gives me some relief that i m not the only one being acting strange. i have left IIFT D and have decided to take CAT one more time. though i hardly get any time these days to prepare i have this feeling that i will be able to extract time.

count me too in the gang. left IIFT D and gonna take CAT once more this year

waah gud to know that i am not the only one thinking like that
in my friend's opinion not the only fool!!!
waise i am waitlisted in NITIE which as per seniors shud get thru.

so now my thinking.
man CAT is really very uncertain as wud have accepted the fact that it all boils down to those 2.5hrs. no matter how hard u prepare its a bloody T20 game. IIM's bechaare kya karein itni population hai that's the only way for them.

since u have cracked IIFT(D) ur preparation for CAT this year wud have been very good and prolly u r feeling that 1-2 ques. in the section where u lost out u wud have landed up with a substring of "BLACKI" calls or must have got it this yhear but with high waitlist numbers or no converts.

I know buddy how one feels with gud levels of preps and confident of cracking it but cudn coz u didnt perform on one day. i also felt the same ki kya yaar TIME ke 5-6 mocks mein top 100 ranks aayi phir bhi crack kar nahin paaye. but remember any college be IIFT, NITIE,FMS,XL can only give u kick start rest u have perform , companies then won't care whr r u from.

i also consulted TIME, Noida faculty for counselling. and the faculty told me ki baccha socho agar CAT likhte waqt agle saal yeh dimaag mein aa jaaye that u have left NITIE for this day, then can u perform under this pressure??
so according to him writing GMAT is a must in cases like urs and me as GMAT is not that tuff compared to CAT. bhai qa-37, va-41 ques ke liye 75 minutes each hote hai, and only gud GMAT score can remove this pressure from us coz the score is valid for 5 yrs. so even if one doesn't has a gud profile after getting a gud score one can work on it and improve it thru work-ex some social work, hobbies etc. etc. then u will think ok ur score is valid for 5 yrs so even if u r unable to crack CAT u have a backup option.

and also one thing is also very sure in India competition for an MBA will neve decrease,it will only increase and that too exponentially.

take ur own call, and be mentally prepared that even in worst case u won't regret ur decision.

will let know similar thinking PUYS abt the decision i took for myself.

hello....ma'm plz recomended to do research b4 wrtin .....1)FMS XL...r instituion of repute..which have thr own exam..d legue has IIMABC, FMS,ISB XL.2)i donno if u so ambitious..tht u plznnin to drop..may b coz..NITIE doesn't come in Top ten..so try out..letz c.3)ppl having outstanding profile or highly ambitious..(hardly 10%)rite CAT 4 IIMABC,,FMS (90 sets...all over india)..XAT 4 XLRI(best in HR for asia).4)n IIFT is also a good institute...tryonce to get in...u will know d competion..do advice after u had enugh insites.NO offence.COnverts:IIMCLIK,FMSJoinin: FMS(coz frm delhi n many othr reason...thoughin fix..bt IIMC n FMS)
I think one should take the present opportunity and then look for better opportunities. CAT is very uncertain and no can can guarantee an IIM call before taking the exam.

If you are very keen on doing mba from IIM, then I would advice you to take IIFT admission and then try for IIMs next year. I came across some aspirants during IIM GD/PI who were studying in reputed institutes like xlri, fms, etc and were trying for IIM ABC. This way your risk would me minimum.

Anyway, your decision is yours.

hello..reputed institutes..like FMS XL hve so many programs dude...n rest u donno ppl alwayz speak...truth......also have othr program Not FLAGSHIP..so ppl might think of gettin...ABC..but still strange...they shud rathr try for stanford wharton if cud manage it to say IIMA.

Mrs. Hillary Clinton could do with a visit.

www.fukq.jimdo.com

dudeejay Says
hello..reputed institutes..like FMS XL hve so many programs dude...n rest u donno ppl alwayz speak...truth......also have othr program Not FLAGSHIP..so ppl might think of gettin...ABC..but still strange...they shud rathr try for stanford wharton if cud manage it to say IIMA.

hi dudeejay,

i dont feel like starting a debate here because the mods might take an action even before you begin your reply

i just had a few doubts...

i read all 18 of your posts(not that i have nothing better to do, just that talking to you on SB got me interested :))
almost all your posts comprise of b-school comparison & nothing else...

firstly,

dude....tel u one thing dirst of u really donno who is faking or who has ..made..it enven in d forum..
i hve seen instances....whr ppl say dat some1 didn't join IIMA coz....FMS...is in delhi.
n same way...one joined symbiosis to IIMK..so u never...know..hwt ppl r upto..

now this post by you on the fms thread made me reply since you have written the same thing many times, & i know the person you are talking about...

kindly explain this
dudeejay Says
.NO offence.COnverts:IIMCLIK,FMSJoinin: FMS(coz frm delhi n many othr reason...thoughin fix..bt IIMC n FMS)

Now , if you have converted CLIK, why did you post this on the Indore thread?

hi..
i m waitlisted 10..in gen can any body tell wht r chances..
n ppl who joinin ABC FMS..??so i can take a sigh of relif.:frown:

AFAIK , Indore WL hasnt moved a bit(I myself am waitlisted)
& even if i am wrong, because in your own words , "u really dont know who is faking" why have you posted this(again, on the FMS thread):

PS:i don't belong to n e thm...prepring to get in..:

All you have done on PG is compare b-schools, even if you think one is better than the other, good enough, I am not questioning your opinion, just keep it to yourself

& please don't question the integrity of people on PG, this was what made me reply in the 1st place...

PS : @mods, if this post is against the forum rules, pls delete it, & i sincerely apologize for the same...

Ok Guys, I am in a very similar situation right now.. I have a call from KJS for the IB course, and was rejected at Tapmi,SIIB and SIBM, and I am on the endless waitlist at IMT-G. Trouble is I have to submit my fees at KJ by Tuesday evening, so I have exactly 48 hours to make a decision. Tried taking advice from a million people and they all say "Do what you feel like doing" . Hell I feel like doing both !

On the one hand I feel that I will miss a huge opportunity if I dont join KJS, on the other hand I feel, I have no idea about how reputed this course is or how much IB fits into my scheme of things and I can try for better next time around... But CAT as some people mentioned is a freakin Lottery !!

Please help me out ! And pronto !

My two cents:

B-School wont make much of a difference in the long run. One of my family friends is Assistant Vice President of a very popular investment bank (name not disclosed on purpose), he's an MBA from Symbiosis (SIMS, yes SIMS!!). Where as his juniors (some of which are 10 years elder to him) are from the likes of IIM ABC, XLRI etc.

I've also talked to a few of my father's friends, one of them who is Head HR in a consulting company (name not disclosed on purpose), he also advised me to pick next best option rather than dropping an year.

Sure if you get into ABC or XL you'll have salaries twice as much as your neighborhood pals, but it will only take you so far. You should follow your own interests, my classmate chucked FMS to get into MICA. Sumitrocks chucked IIML to get into XLRI-PMIR. I admire both of them since they know what they want and how to get it.

Also a simple cost benefit analysis will show that taking IIFT/MDI now over IIM next year is a far better option than to drop an year. You're loosing on one year's pay + you're wasting one year + you're behind in the race + loads of risk for the next CAT/XAT.

There ya have it, advice which I got from experts, now passed on to you.

Hello Guys,
I am also in a similiar situation......fresher.....written CAT and Secured 96.99 and 96.75 in Xat.............I have a IMt-G ( Finance) convert and a job of infosys in hand.........I know that CAT is a kind of lottery which can go either ways.........I also want to pursue my MBA in Finance domain.......
I am not able to decide between Job(infy)+write Cat 2008.....OR.../..IMT(MBA) ??

Smbdy please guide me out..................

Also, the title sums it up beautifully....

Dropping MDI/NITIE/IIFT/SOM/SP/XL etc for Future CAT

Future maybe be 2008, 2009...even 2012, who knows?

"Better be safe than sorry"

Ahem. Another two cents - thats all I can afford to drop right now

I cannot understand why people are contemplating dropping admits to some of the most coveted b schools in the country and want to go out an a wing and a prayer for CAT next year - it kind of reminds me of the way we buy things at times - "We'll get it cheaper next year, lets buy it then ". The problem being, there will be a better, expensive model next year too - so will you postpone buying for another year so THAT one gets cheaper. Also, you need to know if the institute that you can join now gives you what you need. I know, MDI is not IIM - but it gives you more than most IIMs on a lot of counts. Same goes for IIFT and NITIE.

In the end, all that matters is whether the two years you spend give you good learning and a great job. When these institutes can give it to you, why are you not willing to trust in the reputation they have built? You think saying you're at IIMA when you're 30 and balding is a credit to yourself? get real. Be sensible, a few lakhs spent to join one of these schools would be far more sensible than betting your future on a test whose outcome you do not know. For most people, anything over around 97% in CAT needs more than a little luck. After three years, I'm not willing to chance my career on that anymore. Are you?

I'm joining MDI this year And I am proud to call myself a ManDevIan!

P.S. Two years into your job, no one will care whether you're from IIMA or from ICFAI. If you can swim, you will rise, or you will sink. Life is more than CAT :)

Cheers!

dudeejay Says
NITIE doesn't come in Top ten..

Dude,

If u r talkin bout those rankings whr the likes of "Dare to thik beyond IIMs" feature in the top 10s... then I am proud to be a part of the college which does not figure in such a list.

And for any other list... by the likes of Outlook/Business World/CSR-GHRDC... just refer to them to get your facts correct..!! And tell me if you dont find it... Would lead you to them..

Secondly, just try to obtain some information on the entry criteria for NITIE. Leave apart the requirement of Engg. You will yourself know where does NITIE stand.

Finally, would advise you to keep your comparision thing to yourself... People at PG are smart enough to decide about this. It would be much better if you can contribute to the thread in some more sensible way.

Had to be tough... Coz wont be able to tolerate such nonsense..

To everyone: One of my very good friend on pg itself has made it to IIM-C while being in FMS (Ofcourse both are great B-Schools)... Just analyze your potential... You know yourself best... If you really crave for those big 3... then No hindrance can stop you... But believe me "One in the hand is worth two in the bush."

All the best to everyone..!! :)

Cheers,
Dude,

If u r talkin bout those rankings whr the likes of "Dare to thik beyond IIMs" feature in the top 10s... then I am proud to be a part of the college which does not figure in such a list.

And for any other list... by the likes of Outlook/Business World/CSR-GHRDC... just refer to them to get your facts correct..!! And tell me if you dont find it... Would lead you to them..

Secondly, just try to obtain some information on the entry criteria for NITIE. Leave apart the requirement of Engg. You will yourself know where does NITIE stand.

Finally, would advise you to keep your comparision thing to yourself... People at PG are smart enough to decide about this. It would be much better if you can contribute to the thread in some more sensible way.

Had to be tough... Coz wont be able to tolerate such nonsense..

To everyone: One of my very good friend on pg itself has made it to IIM-C while being in FMS (Ofcourse both are great B-Schools)... Just analyze your potential... You know yourself best... If you really crave for those big 3... then No hindrance can stop you... But believe me "One in the hand is worth two in the bush."

All the best to everyone..!! :)

Cheers,

hello.ppl comes with different perception..like somebdy being into civil services..looks for a management degree..frm a primier institue..n viceversa.so..ppl might look out for options once dey..achieve.dey aspire for..so it 's vicious circle..4 ppl who r never satisfied.rest...if u think d colleges in pagalguy survery r "dare to think beyond.."types..thn i wud advice u to visit d ranking page again.rest i hve no offence with ne college 4 tht matter..but..just want to through some insite...n let know wht othr thinks.N colleges run diffrent courses..so somebdy not into flagship program might try..his luck to seek into othr best..once...if nt satified..(coz Grassis alwayz greener at othr side).Example if i m nt in PGP course at primier int..i might try..out to get into main course..4 which int..is known...so tht's how..ppl doesn't look into y one left...or join..N somebdy makin to big int..mustbe surly..wise enugh..abt wht he want.