dropping an year for cat is how favourable?

Hey, Ive read alot of forums and ive got myself way confused. Need help desperately. I did my preparation for cat 2012 in which i joined a classroom program although i wasnt able to follow it ardently owing to my chemical engineering. At the …

Hey,
Ive read alot of forums and ive got myself way confused. Need help desperately.
I did my preparation for cat 2012 in which i joined a classroom program although i wasnt able to follow it ardently owing to my chemical engineering. At the end i managed 90 percentile without much of sweat.
I believe that i can score well in cat 2013 if i dedicate the coming months completely towards preparing. But all these forums and discussions have put a doubt in my mind whether my drop would actually end up as a negative for candidature in many good b schools.
I dont think that i'll b able to prepare well with a job along side.
Should i be looking for some experience first and then take a drop or should i give it a go?
How bad would this drop seem on my candidature?
P.S.-my graduatn cgp was 7.10, 70% in HSC, 80% in SSC.

@varun.c

Hey,Ive read alot of forums and ive got myself way confused. Need help desperately. I did my preparation for cat 2012 in which i joined a classroom program although i wasnt able to follow it ardently owing to my chemical engineering. At the end i managed 90 percentile without much of sweat. I believe that i can score well in cat 2013 if i dedicate the coming months completely towards preparing. But all these forums and discussions have put a doubt in my mind whether my drop would actually end up as a negative for candidature in many good b schools.I dont think that i'll b able to prepare well with a job along side. Should i be looking for some experience first and then take a drop or should i give it a go?How bad would this drop seem on my candidature?P.S.-my graduatn cgp was 7.10, 70% in HSC, 80% in SSC.

Hi,

Dropping a year for CAT is a bad idea! Yes it will create problems during interview and they don`t see preparing for cat as a valid reason for a year gap. Moreover, CAT is unpredictable and thus a backup is necessary. Preparing for cat along with job is possible and almost 70% of the people appearing for CAT do that. And many have cracked top iims while working. So definitely you are not the first to be in this situation and certainly won`t be the last. And also I think working in a professional environment does make a person mature and also imbibe other skills like effective time management, inter personal skills,etc. So go ahead with the job and give your best shot at cat 2013. ATB!