Doubts in 1000 SC

Hi All. Please let me know how the ans to the below SC is C !! Can a sentence end with " will be " as given in C ??What abt E ?? 1. According to Interstudy, a nonprofit organization that studies health maintenance organizations (HMO’s), they e…

Hi All.
Please let me know how the ans to the below SC is C !! Can a sentence end with " will be " as given in C ??What abt E ??
1. According to Interstudy, a nonprofit organization that studies health maintenance organizations (HMO's), they estimate that, in comparison to last year, when only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's was profitable, this year 73 percent will be.
(A) they estimate that, in comparison to last year, when only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's was profitable, this year 73 percent will be
(B) compared to only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's being profitable last year, they estimate 73 percent would be this year
(C) only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's were profitable last year; it estimates that this year 73 percent will be
(D) it estimates 73 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's would be profitable this year; last year that was only 36 percent
(E) only 36 percent of the nation's 607 HMO's last year were profitable, whereas they estimate it this year to be 73 percent
Thanks,
Arthi

Hi Arthi,

I have also never faced any sentence ending with 'will be'. cant tell whether it is technicaly correct or not, lets hope it is a rare type of GMAT English. And E cant be the answer becoz, it says whereas they estimate it this year to be 73 percent . Here 'they' is wrong as the organisation is being referred, hence it should be 'it'.
Hope i am clear.
bye,
sarit.

Hi Sarit,

Thanks for the response. If E cant be the correct answer..then which one among the given choices seem right?

A and B are definitely wrong, as 'they' is mentioned instead of 'it'. E is also wrong.
That leaves C and D. D is not proper english because the sentence starts with "According to Interstudy...... , ' hence after comma 'it estimates' doesnot fit. The sentence gets broken if we take option D .
So , Arthi, only option left for us is C. Hope , you got the point, even if we cant pinpoint the right answer, we can always get as close as possible by the process of elimination.
Bye,
take care.

Sarit,

Thanks!! Now I understand why C is the rigth answer!!

Cheers,
Arthi

Soni'ji
please post more such Question. Even I was fasing issues with SC.

One more question!!
1. After July, anyone disposing of or servicing refrigerators must capture the chlorofluorocarbons in the refrigerant chemicals.
(A) anyone disposing of or servicing
(B) those who dispose or service
(C) anyone disposing of or who services
(D) the disposal or repair of
(E) someone who disposes or repairs
Why not answer B ??
Here is one more!!
1. Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured the preparation of great quantities of ceremonial food, the wearing of many layers of colorful clothing adorned with silver, and the recounting of traditional tribal jokes and stories.
(A) Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured
(B) Festivals were held in Aho, a Kiowa matriarch's home, which featured
(C) Aho, who was a Kiowa matriarch in her home, held festivals featuring
(D) In her home, Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals that featured
(E) Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home that featured
What is wrong with option E ??
One more question!!

1. After July, anyone disposing of or servicing refrigerators must capture the chlorofluorocarbons in the refrigerant chemicals.

(A) anyone disposing of or servicing
(B) those who dispose or service
(C) anyone disposing of or who services
(D) the disposal or repair of
(E) someone who disposes or repairs
Why not answer B ??

'dispose of' is the correct idiom . so 'anyone who dispose refrigerators' is wrong.
Here is one more!!
1. Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured the preparation of great quantities of ceremonial food, the wearing of many layers of colorful clothing adorned with silver, and the recounting of traditional tribal jokes and stories.
(B) Festivals were held in Aho, a Kiowa matriarchs home, which featured
(D) In her home, Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals that featuredďźˆD

No grammatical mistake, I think in E the part 'that featured' is referring 'the home', instead of 'festivals'. hence, in D, to remove ambiguity, 'In her home' has been removed to the beginning. Hope u got my point .

Avoid posting the questions with the answers fellas it simply removes the incentive to think :).

~S

Here is one more!!

No grammatical mistake, I think in E the part 'that featured' is referring 'the home', instead of 'festivals'. hence, in D, to remove ambiguity, 'In her home' has been removed to the beginning. Hope u got my point .

Many thanks sarit!! Many doubts are clarified now!!:)

Cheers
Arthi

I keep doing this every one month or so...
All newbies, go 2 dis link n tk dese notes ( in pdf)...

Hope tht helps...

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/gmat-and-related-discussions/17581-racked-up-a-740-a-2.html#post564006

ciao all

Hi all,

I have just started preparing for GMAT. To be honest, I am currently in a material collection mode.

Can anybody tell me, where can I get my hands on Sentence Correction questions. They cause the maximum trouble.

Is 1000 SC's a practice set, pl let me know where can I purchase/download that,

Many thanks..................
Shravan

Here is one more!!

Correct Reason dude.....
Avoid posting the questions with the answers fellas it simply removes the incentive to think :).

~S

Govi we can have the answers now.
Some of the SC do not have the answers posted here.
Hi all,

I have just started preparing for GMAT. To be honest, I am currently in a material collection mode.

Many thanks..................
Shravan

pm me ur mail id n let me know wht all u want out of 1000SC, CR, OG 10 -SC-CR-RC, 800test series, my SC notes, et al.....
hav a huge collection...
n do go thru the points i mentioned in my thread...
lemme know whteva...

ciao

1. A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.
(A) that they will, or could,
(B) that they would, or could,
(C) they will be or could
(D) think that they will be or could
(E) think the power stations would or could

Whats wrong with E as "they" may refer to international journalists or power stations and would is used for future actions in the past
1. A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.
(A) that they will, or could,
(B) that they would, or could,
(C) they will be or could
(D) think that they will be or could
(E) think the power stations would or could

Whats wrong with E as "they" may refer to international journalists or power stations and would is used for future actions in the past

See buddy, option E suffers from a BIG time "Parallelism error"...it has to necessarily be "would be...could be..."
Agreed, others suffer from "Ambiguity" , but since all d four hv d same problem, and it CANNOT be E, i dn't kno d ans...i would go for D
ciao