DoMS, IIT Madras Admissions 2011-2013

Hi All, With the CAT 2010 & JMET 2011 notifications out, puys and other guys would already be in the parallel mode of looking at options on institutes to apply for.This thread would facilitate in helping you find answers to your queries related …

Hi All,
With the CAT 2010 & JMET 2011 notifications out, puys and other guys would already be in the parallel mode of looking at options on institutes to apply for.This thread would facilitate in helping you find answers to your queries related to admission into DoMS,IIT Madras.Please use this single thread for all queries regarding JMET & admissions for 2011-2013 at DoMS, IIT Madras. We will provide information on procedures & date deadlines regarding JMET & the admission process of DoMS, IIT-M as and when we get information of value.Wish all you people the very best for all the competitive tests that you might be taking up this year.

Sivaram.L
Class of 2012,DoMS,IIT-M.

Hello Siva,
I am MCA passout from NIT(REC)2008,working as a software eng past 2yrs.I have following questions:-
1) Am I eligible for IIT-M ?
2)I have scored 62% in 10th ( WB board),55 % in 12th ( west bengal board), 75.25 % in graduation and 7 CGPA in MCA.As per my past academic records are not so good, what are my chances if I score a decent rank (keep in mind I m MCA)?
thanks in advance..

hi......wat is d total fees at IIT M?

can u throw some light on avg package offered to recent batch........?

Hello Siva,
I am MCA passout from NIT(REC)2008,working as a software eng past 2yrs.I have following questions:-
1) Am I eligible for IIT-M ?
2)I have scored 62% in 10th ( WB board),55 % in 12th ( west bengal board), 75.25 % in graduation and 7 CGPA in MCA.As per my past academic records are not so good, what are my chances if I score a decent rank (keep in mind I m MCA)?
thanks in advance..

Eligibility Criteria for MBA at IIT Madras
The minimum academic qualifications to apply for admission to the MBA Programme at IIT Madras are as follows:

1. B.E./ B.Tech. (or equivalent) with First Class (or equivalent) from a recognized Institution or University
  2. A Masters degree with First Class (or equivalent) in any discipline from a recognized Institution or University.
  3. Final year students are also eligible to apply. Such candidates, if selected, will be admitted provisionally, on the condition that they complete all requirements for the qualifying degree before the start of the programme and produce provisional certificate of completion within two months of joining the programme.

The final selection will be based on
  1. The performance in JMET / CAT
  2. The performance in the interviews and the group task
  3. The previous academic performance
  4. Work experience, if any.

The exact weightage for academic performance is not revealed. But your JMET/CAT score would be the main consideration for Shortlist.

Hope your queries are answered with the above details.

hi......wat is d total fees at IIT M?

can u throw some light on avg package offered to recent batch........?

The total fees(academic + hostel fees) for the current batch comes to roughly around 3.2 to 3.5 lacs for the entire duration of the course.
Details on avg.package & placements split-up for the batch of 2010 can be obtained by viewing the Placement Report available at
http://www.doms.iitm.ac.in/pr2010.pdf
Sivaram.L
Class of 2012, DoMS, IIT-M

1what is the total no of seats for general candidates at iit madras...
2 what is the last rank to be called for gd pi at iit madras in general category.....

1what is the total no of seats for general candidates at iit madras...
2 what is the last rank to be called for gd pi at iit madras in general category.....

For your first question: DoMS,IIT-M follows the reservation criteria laid out by Govt.of India. For conversion of percentages into numbers,consider the no. of seats would be around 80.

The answer for the second cannot be straightforward as IIT-M considers both CAT & JMET scores for admission. Also, Sectional cut-offs are employed for JMET scores. So, one with a rank say 200 might not be eligible if he hasn't cleared cut-off in a section & a person with a rank of 1200 might have cleared his sectionals and could be shortlisted.

I will present the shortlisting procedure adopted for the batch of 2010-2012 which would give you a clear picture.

Sivaram.L
Class of 2012,DoMS,IIT-M
With both JMET & CAT scores being considered, you have the advantage of improving your chances of getting shortlisted even if you have had an off-day while appearing for one of these exams.
DoMS IIT-M's shortlisting procedure is presented below:
First, the applicants are sorted into three mutually exclusive sets:
a) candidates who have declared only JMET scores,
b) candidates who have declared both JMET and CAT scores,
c) candidates who have declared only CAT scores.
Both, JMET and CAT have the following sections - Quantitative (Q), Verbal (V), Logical Reasoning (LR) and Data Interpretation (DI). JMET separates LR and DI, while CAT combines them.
JMET and CAT assign different marks to each section. Therefore, each declared CAT score, in each section, has been scaled and normalized to obtain its respective equivalent JMET score for enabling comparisons.
Then, a single scaled and normalized list of section wise scores data has been obtained for comparisons using the JMET scale as reference. Then, the merit order of applicants has been prepared accordingly.
The applicants' scores (scaled and normalized) in each section are sorted in descending order and then the section cut-off percentiles are used to shortlist applicants section wise. The Common Merit List (CML) including all categories (General, OBC, SC/ST and PD) is then identified as the "intersection" of scores that are present in ALL THREE LISTS - Q, V, and LR + DI. Naturally, there could have been applicants who scored very well in one or two sections but not the other(s). This would imply that their scores would be included in the shortlists of the one or two sections they scored very well (as they would be inside the cut-off percentiles), but would be excluded from the section(s) in which they did not score well (as they would be outside the cut-off percentiles). Such applicants would not be included in the CML, irrespective of the overall JMET ranks or net CAT percentiles.
The CML is then used to shortlist candidates from the OBC, SC/ST and PD categories according to the Government of India norms/guidelines.
For candidates in set (b), both JMET and CAT scores are taken into account and the better of the two is chosen for shortlisting. In general, DoMS IIT Madras always uses the principle of granting the benefit to the applicant when the case arises.
Sectional cut-offs for 2010-2012 batch:
The minimum JMET/ Normalised CAT scores that applicants must possess in each section for being invited to the GT/PI process of DoMS, IIT Madras are presented in the table below for each applicant category.
Applicants may please note that their respective section wise JMET/ Normalised CAT scores MUST BE greater than or equal to the scores mentioned below in the table for each section.
It is likely that there are applicants with very high JMET/CAT ranks who have very high scores in two sections but a score below the minimum in one section. Such applicants will not be in our shortlist for the GT/PI process.
Applicant Category- Common Merit List (CML)
Verbal Cut-off: 12.25
LI DR Cut-off: 36.75
Quants Cut-off: 11.75

Applicant Category- OBC (.9*CML)
Verbal Cut-off: 11.03
LI DR Cut-off: 33.08
Quants Cut-off: 10.58

Applicant Category- SC/ST/PD(.67*CML)
Verbal Cut-off: 8.21
LI DR Cut-off: 24.62
Quants Cut-off: 7.87

Hope this helps you.

Sivaram.L
Class of 2012,DoMS,IIT-M
With both JMET & CAT scores being considered, you have the advantage of improving your chances of getting shortlisted even if you have had an off-day while appearing for one of these exams.

Both, JMET and CAT have the following sections Quantitative (Q), Verbal (V), Logical Reasoning (LR) and Data Interpretation (DI). JMET separates LR and DI, while CAT combines them.

JMET and CAT assign different marks to each section. Therefore, each declared CAT score, in each section, has been scaled and normalized to obtain its respective equivalent JMET score for enabling comparisons.

Then, a single scaled and normalized list of section wise scores data has been obtained for comparisons using the JMET scale as reference. Then, the merit order of applicants has been prepared accordingly.

The applicants scores (scaled and normalized) in each section are sorted in descending order and then the section cut-off percentiles are used to shortlist applicants section wise. The Common Merit List (CML) including all categories (General, OBC, SC/ST and PD) is then identified as the intersection of scores that are present in ALL THREE LISTS Q, V, and LR + DI. Naturally, there could have been applicants who scored very well in one or two sections but not the other(s). This would imply that their scores would be included in the shortlists of the one or two sections they scored very well (as they would be inside the cut-off percentiles), but would be excluded from the section(s) in which they did not score well (as they would be outside the cut-off percentiles). Such applicants would not be included in the CML, irrespective of the overall JMET ranks or net CAT percentiles.

The CML is then used to shortlist candidates from the OBC, SC/ST and PD categories according to the Government of India norms/guidelines.

For candidates in set (b), both JMET and CAT scores are taken into account and the better of the two is chosen for shortlisting. In general, DoMS IIT Madras always uses the principle of granting the benefit to the applicant when the case arises.

The minimum JMET/ Normalised CAT scores that applicants must possess in each section for being invited to the GT/PI process of DoMS, IIT Madras are presented in the table below for each applicant category.

Applicants may please note that their respective section wise JMET/ Normalised CAT scores MUST BE greater than or equal to the scores mentioned below in the table for each section.

It is likely that there are applicants with very high JMET/CAT ranks who have very high scores in two sections but a score below the minimum in one section. Such applicants will not be in our shortlist for the GT/PI process.

Applicant Category
JMET/CAT Section
Common Merit List
(CML)
OBC
(0.9 x CML)
SC/ST/PD
(0.67 x CML)
Verbal
Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation
Quantitative

Hope this helps you.

Sivaram.L
Class of 2012,DoMS,IIT-M

Both, JMET and CAT have the following sections Quantitative (Q), Verbal (V), Logical Reasoning (LR) and Data Interpretation (DI). JMET separates LR and DI, while CAT combines them.

The applicants scores (scaled and normalized) in each section are sorted in descending order and then the section cut-off percentiles are used to shortlist applicants section wise. The Common Merit List (CML) including all categories (General, OBC, SC/ST and PD) is then identified as the intersection of scores that are present in ALL THREE LISTS Q, V, and LR + DI. Naturally, there could have been applicants who scored very well in one or two sections but not the other(s). This would imply that their scores would be included in the shortlists of the one or two sections they scored very well (as they would be inside the cut-off percentiles), but would be excluded from the section(s) in which they did not score well (as they would be outside the cut-off percentiles). Such applicants would not be included in the CML, irrespective of the overall JMET ranks or net CAT percentiles.

Applicant Category
JMET/CAT Section
Common Merit List
(CML)
OBC
(0.9 x CML)
SC/ST/PD
(0.67 x CML)
Verbal
Quantitative

Hope this helps you.

Sivaram.L
Class of 2012,DoMS,IIT-M

Applicant Category
JMET/CAT Section
Common Merit List
(CML)
OBC
(0.9 x CML)
SC/ST/PD
(0.67 x CML)
Verbal
Quantitative

Hope this helps you.

Sivaram.L
Class of 2012,DoMS,IIT-M

A note on the preparation for JMET.

Preparation for JMET is not entirely different from that for CAT. With some good preparation for CAT, the LR & DI sections of JMET can be solved at ease. People can consider these sections as areas to maximise their scores. Quants section would cover some topics that normally donot appear in CAT (Integral Calculus,Probability Distribution etc.). The level of difficulty of Verbal has varied from year to year. So, predicting that is not very easy.

Attached here are some papers for your perusal.

Sivaram.L
Class of 2012,DoMS,IIT-M

Hi,
I have few questions
1) What was the cut-off of CAT based calls last year ???
2) Total fees for 2 years including mess and hostel
3) Weightage given for work-ex and extra-curr in final selection.
4) Lowest and Highest salary package for 2010 passouts

i have a very important query.
i have put this up before on some forums , asked Coaching classes faculty , scanned through the websites of institutes but the ambiguity remains.

my query is
Am i eligible for DOMS IIT- M (and VGSOM-IIT kgp)?
I have a first class degree implying i have secured first class (60 percent +)in the qualifying examination which my university considers to be the fourth year exams.
However when aggregate is considered over all semesters my aggregate is less than 60.

so technically i feel ,as per the info mentioned by DOMS IIT-M and VGSOM IIT kgp, i should be eligible(all others specifically mention aggregate over all sems).
but ofcrs i have also heard and read that all IITs consider 60 aggregate over all sems.

so could this ambiguity be clarified plz.

Hi,
I have few questions
1) What was the cut-off of CAT based calls last year ???
2) Total fees for 2 years including mess and hostel
3) Weightage given for work-ex and extra-curr in final selection.
4) Lowest and Highest salary package for 2010 passouts

The answers for the first 2 queries have been mentioned in this thread. Please have a look at the previous posts in page 1.

For 3) the answer is that the batch of 2012 has a sizable number of freshers & people not having extra-curriculars are definitely not at any loss. Extra curriculars can only do good in your interviews if they can help you drive the interview the way you want it.

The highest package on offer is mentioned in the placement report available at http://www.doms.iitm.ac.in/pr2010.pdf
i have a very important query.
i have put this up before on some forums , asked Coaching classes faculty , scanned through the websites of institutes but the ambiguity remains.

my query is
Am i eligible for DOMS IIT- M (and VGSOM-IIT kgp)?
I have a first class degree implying i have secured first class (60 percent +)in the qualifying examination which my university considers to be the fourth year exams.
However when aggregate is considered over all semesters my aggregate is less than 60.

so technically i feel ,as per the info mentioned by DOMS IIT-M and VGSOM IIT kgp, i should be eligible(all others specifically mention aggregate over all sems).
but ofcrs i have also heard and read that all IITs consider 60 aggregate over all sems.

so could this ambiguity be clarified plz.

If your final degree certificate is going to say you have obtained your degree with first class, it will do according to the eligibility criteria mentioned by IIT-M.

Sivaram.L
Class of 2012,DoMS,IIT-M.

What was the last rank of a candidate who get selected?

When is the notification open??? I checked the site... there is no such info regarding that...
Please let us know when we can apply for IIT M....
Thanks

When is the notification open??? I checked the site... there is no such info regarding that...
Please let us know when we can apply for IIT M....
Thanks

The application for IIT Madras (and this holds good for all IITs) can be done after you get your JMET results. This was how it was last year.
This will also give you the option of choosing the IITs you feel you have realistic chances of getting into based on your rank and previous years' trend.

Sivaram.L
Class of 2012,DoMS,IIT-M

There was a query on the number of JMET test takers in another thread. Thought of adding it here so that people already on this thread wouldn't miss the info.

The no. of JMET 2010 test takers was 40691.

The qualifying cut-offs in JMET 2010 for all IITs was:
Qualifying mark for GN 62.00
Qualifying mark for OBC 55.80

Qualifying mark for SC/ST/PD 41.33

At DoMS,IIT Madras,the noose is not tightened on a particular cut-off rank.Instead, it takes into account sectional cut-offs.

The GD/PI list to Final call list ratio would be between 6:1 & 8:1 in the IITs.So,you can expect some tough competition in that stage as well.

Hi,

I'm about to complete my B.E degree majoring in Instrumentation and I intend to take the JMET 2011 ...Many folks tell me that the fancy salary packages offered at top B schools, including the IIT's, are just for the ones with substantial work experience and not for freshers who will get only average packages and sometimes nothing at all....Is this true, because I will be foregoing my job offer to do an MBA and would like to know if it's worth the risk??....Thanks