Doing PGDM from IIM after doing MBA(from an average Bschool)

Hi All, I have done my MBA (marketing) from an average Bschool in Kolkata in 2011. Post MBA, I have a work experience of 18 months and counting. Pre MBA, I have a work experience of 8 months. I have appeared for CAT 2008 and scored 82 pe…

Hi All,

I have done my MBA (marketing) from an average Bschool in Kolkata in 2011. Post MBA, I have a work experience of 18 months and counting. Pre MBA, I have a work experience of 8 months.

I have appeared for CAT 2008 and scored 82 percentile but due to certain circumstances neither could I apply to better bschools or retake CAT.

Now, I want to pursue PGDM from either IIM A,B or C in the next academic session (2013-2015). For that I have already started preparing for CAT 2012.

I have 2 questions:
1. Will it make any sense for me to take CAT and apply for IIM, considering I have done my MBA? I understand there is a hell lot difference between an MBA and a PGDM, and obviously a PGDM from IIM A,B or C will totally catapult my career in a different trajectory.

2. Or, should I wait for 2 years and take GMAT and apply to some top foreign universities for an advanced management course? Although this plan doesn't sound redundant but is definitely a far fetched and expensive one.

Your suggestions on this will be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Ananda,

I would be unable to answer your query, but this reply is to resonate that you are not alone with this dilemma. I am exactly in the same boat right now, with my MBA from an average B-school in Kolkata, and in an average job right now. I was thinking of appearing for CAT 2012-13 too, but really haven't decided yet. The thing which bothers me is, how strong would my case of pursuing another MBA be in front of the interviewers, with so many fresh people waiting in queue. This is true for foreign universities too I guess, as the SoP needs to perfectly define my reasons to try for another MBA.

@Ananda2012 said: Hi All,I have done my MBA (marketing) from an average Bschool in Kolkata in 2011. Post MBA, I have a work experience of 18 months and counting. Pre MBA, I have a work experience of 8 months.I have appeared for CAT 2008 and scored 82 percentile but due to certain circumstances neither could I apply to better bschools or retake CAT.Now, I want to pursue PGDM from either IIM A,B or C in the next academic session (2013-2015). For that I have already started preparing for CAT 2012.I have 2 questions: 1. Will it make any sense for me to take CAT and apply for IIM, considering I have done my MBA? I understand there is a hell lot difference between an MBA and a PGDM, and obviously a PGDM from IIM A,B or C will totally catapult my career in a different trajectory.2. Or, should I wait for 2 years and take GMAT and apply to some top foreign universities for an advanced management course? Although this plan doesn't sound redundant but is definitely a far fetched and expensive one.Your suggestions on this will be highly appreciated.Thank you in advance.
1) IIM brand name does help in the long run, and I know of 2-3 guys personally who did their MBA from a tier 2 B-school and then gave CAT and did their 2nd MBA(post grad) from my college i.e IIM Indore.

2) The route to a foreign MBA via GMAT can also be considered if you are able to cope up with the fees structure/total fees they have. So, in case you have heavy savings or can afford it, I would prefer doing an MBA from foreign university than doing an MBA from IIMs given the fact that you have already done it in India, if I were in your position.
Otherwise IIMs are always there..!

ATB for the decision..

@Rohitphulsunge said:

1) IIM brand name does help in the long run, and I know of 2-3 guys personally who did their MBA from a tier 2 B-school and then gave CAT and did their 2nd MBA(post grad) from my college i.e IIM Indore.
2) The route to a foreign MBA via GMAT can also be considered if you are able to cope up with the fees structure/total fees they have. So, in case you have heavy savings or can afford it, I would prefer doing an MBA from foreign university than doing an MBA from IIMs given the fact that you have already done it in India, if I were in your position. Otherwise IIMs are always there..!
ATB for the decision..
Good to see such thread on PG. I am in same boat. Though I am from a good b-school yet I somehow felt a dream is yet unfulfilled. So am planning to do a second MBA in future (not yet finalized between an Indian b-school or a foreign degree). However I am intersted in talking to people, who have already crossed this situation, and knowing their experiences.

Do it abroad. Doing it in India will not reap you as much benefit as you are thinking.
Cracking to get through top 15 or even top 5 b-school in itself is not the goal. The goal must be learning and also getting the right job post 2nd mba - In India, in ANY college, this will not be justfiable.

As a clue, Recruiters will not pick you guys easily if they do a background check on you. Try and do it outside if possible...otherwise do a pgpx in India later, not a 2 year regular course.

Another point - Recruiters in India differentiate very little in terms of job quality (in the top 15 older ranked b-schools) apart from one only sector - Thats Pure play management consulting and that only McKinsey, BCG & Bain.The only other sector thats gets a little hit is Investment Banking/Private Equity. But people in finance can move about in some years time - therefore only consulting gets hit - and consulting mostly like young 24 year old and not very old people who are doing second MBA in India anyway. So again whats the point?

I can also tell you Indian Institutes, including the top 15 teach you squat (vs the international institutes) but then I won't say that outloud. or will I ;)

Guys me going through same situations......does ne1 have idea about studying in singapore, ive heard there some good colleges there.

@DEVILISHANGEL said:
Do it abroad. Doing it in India will not reap you as much benefit as you are thinking.
Cracking to get through top 15 or even top 5 b-school in itself is not the goal. The goal must be learning and also getting the right job post 2nd mba - In India, in ANY college, this will not be justfiable.As a clue, Recruiters will not pick you guys easily if they do a background check on you. Try and do it outside if possible...otherwise do a pgpx in India later, not a 2 year regular course.
nice
It Depends. The MBA admission process depends on work experience, GMAT score, SOP. A top tier college MBA helps in securing job abroad. But it is better to do MBA in India rather than MBA from 2nd or third tier colleges in USA. It is very difficult to secure job in USA and the degree is not recognized in India. It is useful to gain work experience in USA before coming to India after completing MBA. There is only 12 months OPT.
@lp_ankit

: In singapore, you could study at NUS, NTU, Insead - Singapore and even SMU. Apart from these 4, Singapore shouldn't be your choice to study. These colleges have good recognition and would be a value add to your career.

For NUS and NTU - you would need good amount of Work Ex and 700 GMAT score, where as for other 2 i believe 670 - 700 should be enough..

Hi is there any standard rule that that people who already have an MBA shouldn't apply for IIMs or is there a trend that is in universities like Stanford, where they generally reject applicants who hold an MBA degree?

@saneesh : Some universities abroad (not Stanford though) do not accept ppl who have already done an MBA. I can remember Vanderbilt Owen doesn't accept applicants seeking a second MBA degree . In case any college hasn't mentioned the same explicitly, you can clarify it with the adcom members of the college.

In India, per my belief the trend is ppl who have already done an MBA from Tier 2/Tier 3 colleges don't see much value in doing an MBA again from IIM's or any Indian College. May be during the first yr, ppl write CAT from tier 2 and tier 3 institutions and then if they get anything, they go.. but not many prefer to do another MBA degree from INDIA. But this is purely my belief. Also ppl prefer a 1yr customized in case of a second MBA degree in India.

An distance mba program can fit for working professionals!

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty much in the same situation at the moment.

Do colleges like Jamnalal bajaj, IIMs , S P jain and XLRI reject candidates because of this ?

Is it wise to mention abt ur mba degree during the placements ?

An honest reply would really help..

Thanks & Regards
Sima
Nice to see this thread. Can a throughout second division holder, working in a nice MNC for 3.8 years make it through a nice MBA College even if he somehow gets a nice CAT or GMAT Score?

Will he be able to sit for the placements?

Has anyone done it in the Past?

I am already an MBA (PGP) diploma holder from a non recognized institute with a CGPA of 2.98. Even if i clear CAT or GMAT will they let sit for the placements of there is again any eligibility criteria for 10th, 12th and Graduation etc. The same question will hold for PGPX.

@Ananda2012 Check following Link..Manger Jobs in MOIL Limited, Nagpur, December 2012
http://www.govtjobindia.com/2012/12/manger-jobs-in-moil-limited-nagpur.html

i too am in the same boat...trying to make sense of all the harakiri going around

I have another sub question to the topic : I am an MBA in Marketing + 3 yrs work ex. Wanting to shift to finance. Is it possible?

hi I am also thinking of such option coz my current PGDM degree doesn't got my dreams fulfilled though it was a good college still it lost in the long run and here i am with almost same package as my frnds who dropped the idea of mba.

now i am left with a question that should i invest again for a IIM PGDM or TOP University program or let my career go as it is OR should try for some basic jobs at govt sector.

P.S. i am an engineering graduate with good subject knowledge but only 58% in 12th hence cant get a good job at an MNC. now running in finance division post MBA-Fin .

plz reply

@surd

Nice to see this thread. Can a throughout second division holder, working in a nice MNC for 3.8 years make it through a nice MBA College even if he somehow gets a nice CAT or GMAT Score? Will he be able to sit for the placements?Has anyone done it in the Past?I am already an MBA (PGP) diploma holder from a non recognized institute with a CGPA of 2.98. Even if i clear CAT or GMAT will they let sit for the placements of there is again any eligibility criteria for 10th, 12th and Graduation etc. The same question will hold for PGPX.

generally the top 3 iims do not call those who don't have 80 percent and more marks throughout their academic life even if they score 99+ in cat. a friend of mine wrote cat twice and both the times scored 99+ in cat. in acedemics he has always scored above 70%. he graduated from iit but even after all this he didnt get a call from the top 3 iims. because even the companies which offer high packages to the students of iims want their students to be exceptional. so if the iims don't get such quality students then they can't stay on top