Does masters degree account for work experience !!

Hi fellaz, i did B.E. and M.Tech and hv one year job ex now…can i appear for gmat this year for joining MBA next year…(will hv 2 year work ex till then). but i heard most good colleges abroad want 3+ years of work ex…i was wondering …

Hi fellaz, i did B.E. and M.Tech and hv one year job ex now..........can i appear for gmat this year for joining MBA next year....(will hv 2 year work ex till then). but i heard most good colleges abroad want 3+ years of work ex...i was wondering if my masters degree could help me in this...

Comments welcome...:)

Hi fellaz, i did B.E. and M.Tech and hv one year job ex now..........can i appear for gmat this year for joining MBA next year....(will hv 2 year work ex till then). but i heard most good colleges abroad want 3+ years of work ex...i was wondering if my masters degree could help me in this...

Comments welcome...:)

well.......it wont help u in terms of adding anything to ur work ex, cause work ex is clearly defined as the number of months u have been working full time and are included in the rolls of the company.

as far as selection goes, i guess it will help. though u might have to clearly explain why a shift into management after having a technical degree.

Bharath

hi!
I appeared for cat last year but did not seek admission as I had fallen short by a few percentiles for the iims .. ill be appearing again this year but instead of a job i got admission for masters in computer science, can u suggest if this year will be taken as a career gap for me inspite of my persuing a degree and not sitting home?

Is two years of work ex is enuf then for admission into a top abroad B school !

hi!
I appeared for cat last year but did not seek admission as I had fallen short by a few percentiles for the iims .. ill be appearing again this year but instead of a job i got admission for masters in computer science, can u suggest if this year will be taken as a career gap for me inspite of my persuing a degree and not sitting home?

well Divya,
the most important thing is to remember the fact, that nothing is more important than ur belief. if u think you can justify ur decisions then dont have fear with anything. the interviews are not there to throw u out, they are there to select you, and if they find ur good enough, then ur in.

now, having said that, if u join a masters degree in computers, and then shifting to management clearly does not make sense, unless you work for say 3 to 4 years and then decide that i want a specialization in computer management. so in the interviews you will be asked this question, if you answer in a way that makes them feel that you joined the course in computers just to while away time, then they certainly will not take you

Bharath

thanks a lot!
I completely agree with you.. infact i had decided to have a good work experience before jumping in the mba race..

maverick.jd Says
Is two years of work ex is enuf then for admission into a top abroad B school !

some b-schools have it well defined as to how many years of work experience they accept. most student don't have anythining defined.

so if ur applying with a year or 2 of work experience, but also have lot of other things to show like a good CPA in degree, extra curricular , then u can consider urself a valid candidate

Bharath

I guess, its all about convincing the ppl on the interview board.

But.....are we not jumping the gun ??

I guess, its all about convincing the ppl on the interview board.

But.....are we not jumping the gun ??

but what wud be convincing enough when have but nought work ex and a masters...say for instance in my case...ECO... what arguments wud stand in front of a board?
well Divya,
the most important thing is to remember the fact, that nothing is more important than ur belief. if u think you can justify ur decisions then dont have fear with anything. the interviews are not there to throw u out, they are there to select you, and if they find ur good enough, then ur in.

now, having said that, if u join a masters degree in computers, and then shifting to management clearly does not make sense, unless you work for say 3 to 4 years and then decide that i want a specialization in computer management. so in the interviews you will be asked this question, if you answer in a way that makes them feel that you joined the course in computers just to while away time, then they certainly will not take you

Bharath

SAY WHAT KINDA ARGUMANTS WUD STAND IN FRONT OF A BOARD?
grev Says
SAY WHAT KINDA ARGUMANTS WUD STAND IN FRONT OF A BOARD?

Hi,

The Answer to that question has to be decided by you and not someone else,you will have some force that is driving you to drop one year for cat,do some self introspection and decide why do you wana go for cat...droppin an year is alwys negative infront of an interview panel unless you justify it very valid causes and that valid cases differ from case to case..now as you say you have a masters in eco then you would have to justify why even after doing a msters in eco you still wana go for mba and drop an year and the answer to that q lies within you.

chk this thread out if you wana

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/is-dropping-for-cat-justified-25017842

and masters degree doesnt accnt for work ex.

Thanks
Ankur