Do guns equal safety?

Following the saddening shooting incident at Newtown, I was alarmed to hear the president of US National Rifle Associated remark, “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun”. Besides being a great topic for GDs…

Following the saddening shooting incident at Newtown, I was alarmed to hear the president of US National Rifle Associated remark, "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".

Besides being a great topic for GDs, I think it has relevance to the current Indian scenario. Do you think safety (especially of women) can be improved by allowing more people to keep firearms? If not, how is the common man to defend himself, given how hazardous modern cities are becoming? Increasing police force can't be the solution, because the police can't be in all the places all the time.

I open the thread for discussion!

well safety of common man depends on himself,i mean to say that stop visting at night unncessaryly unless it an emergency.and the most important thin is govt. has to take quick and real good decison for the crime that are being held out thereand enforce our law system to establish peace in its own country.