dilemma about MBA or working as a techie abroad

Hi Guys, i have some queries , it will be really helpful if any body can answer this QUERY i have a about 4 yrs of work experiece s/w now i got offer to work abroad on H1, but i also want to do MBA in IIMS I gave cat this time managed …

Hi Guys,
i have some queries , it will be really helpful if any body can answer this
QUERY
i have a about 4 yrs of work experiece s/w now i got offer to work abroad
on H1, but i also want to do MBA in IIMS I gave cat this time managed only 96% with no call from IIMS
iam preparing for 2005
my doubt is that is it ok to go abroad & gain work exp & i will be working as a consultant to some big s/w comp(LIKE BODY SHOPPING )
iam a be from ordinary college ,i feel at this point i might not be having a disadvantage in s/w because of market conditions
but in the long run working in abroad will it be use full without any good degree even though iam very good techie

as i got the offer to work abroad & a i dont have much money or my family background is not sound enough to afford mba from us or uk
so should go to abroad or stay in banglore & prepare for CAT ,ISB,AIM etc

dude?

u outta ur mind? hey i know im a lil young but of wht i understand, u should always take the oppurtunity when it comes. u might want to drag on for another year and might get a great percentile in cat, but u might also get a 96.8762392742549245959 percentile! then what? that wud make u sink more! so do something. take up that job. i know scoresof people who are just engineers and are doing extremely well. its only in india that there is such a mad craze for mba. every second or rather everyone is doing it! go abroad, earn some bucks. inspite of ur "family's situation" u will then be ableto afford an a class mba. your company mught also sponsor youforan mba but u wud have to do extremely well at work for that...
so buddy. applyfor a visa and take off!
tell me what uve decided...

hi
dude go abroad and earn some mullah and well i cud say surely that even after cuming back from there u will have a definite advantage during mba interviews here or abroad.
close ur eyes and go abroad
saurabh

but dont u guys think the MBA from good institute helps a lot for fast career growth
after u get about 8 or 10 yrs of work exp????????????

now i know i am very good techie & market conditions are good so iam having a great time
getting 50 % hike every year but how long will that continue ??????????

after 4 years of work experience ISB is a good option for MBA , as you will be done with your MBA in 1 year + the avg. salary there is 9-10 lacs as compared to other top indian b-schools where it is around 6 lacs + a 2 yr MBA course.

but dont u guys think the MBA from good institute helps a lot for fast career growth
after u get about 8 or 10 yrs of work exp????????????

now i know i am very good techie & market conditions are good so iam having a great time
getting 50 % hike every year but how long will that continue ??????????

being a techie n being an mba r two very diff things...
if u r doing so well being a techie...
n like ur job...
(am assuming that coz it's really tuff to do well without liking ones job)...
why on earth do u wanna do an mba?

and abt career growth...
the career growth could be the same as a techie...
the level of competition will be the same as an mba

if u wanna do an mba for the money...
then u r totally misinformed...
as a good techie...
i repeat "good"
u can make more money than a say above average mba
if u take the best cases...
say the best MBA==>> CEO after 15-20 yrs
and the best techie==>> acrchitect after 10-15 yrs
the CEO and architect *could* earn just abt the same amt of money (depending on the company etc)
the bottomline is...
do what ur heart tells u to do...
don't look at the greenbacks!!
being a techie n being an mba r two very diff things...
if u r doing so well being a techie...
n like ur job...
(am assuming that coz it's really tuff to do well without liking ones job)...
why on earth do u wanna do an mba?

and abt career growth...
the career growth could be the same as a techie...
the level of competition will be the same as an mba

if u wanna do an mba for the money...
then u r totally misinformed...
as a good techie...
i repeat "good"
u can make more money than a say above average mba
if u take the best cases...
say the best MBA==>> CEO after 15-20 yrs
and the best techie==>> acrchitect after 10-15 yrs
the CEO and architect *could* earn just abt the same amt of money (depending on the company etc)
the bottomline is...
do what ur heart tells u to do...
don't look at the greenbacks!!

see i will tell u what my goal is actually then u might give ur opinion

see now iam working on banking software product (already one of the best in world )
at present iam a hard core techie
at some point of time i want to become functional consultant or techno functional guy in BFSI Domain for that i believe mba from good insti helps when compared to only tech exp

see i will tell u what my goal is actually then u might give ur opinion

see now iam working on banking software product (already one of the best in world )
at present iam a hard core techie
at some point of time i want to become functional consultant or techno functional guy in BFSI Domain for that i believe mba from good insti helps when compared to only tech exp

ok...
don't get offended for chrissake!
i too work on a product...it's also one of the best in its field...
but i really don't know whether i can ever become a "domain expert" by just working on this product...infact...in india if a guy has 10+ yrs work ex in one vertical he's considered a "domain expert"! bah!...ok..that's totally besides the point...neway...
u seem to know exactly what u wanna do...go ahead...all the best

First let me ask u one Q... do u have any call from top 10 colleges in India...

IF ANY-CALL = 'NO'
{there is no problem .. GO ABROAD on ur assignment... Why:...
1. U will learn much more by directly dealing with clients...
2. It will also help u in understanding client perspective...
3. 1 & 2 will lead to more insight into the product n BFSI industry thereby leading to increased domain knowledge...
4. U will have more money (u can easily save ~75k per month ) which will help u in financing ur education after a yr or two...
5. Moreover, this one yr will also give u time to introspect wht u actually want to be in life...(which ur not sure of rite now.. )
6. U already know the options availble in India... during this 1-2 yr stint, u can figure out options available in US (u said H1 )... for e.g. do u know MIT offers a prg called SDM for people with 5 yr IT exp... columbia univ also offers something similiar... need not tell u tht MIT is anyday better than IIMs...
7. If u cud not make it to IIMs in 4 yrs, what makes u so sure abt 5th yr:huh: ... in short: chg ur plan buddy...
}

ELSE
Trust ur instincts... u r ur best judge...
END-IF.

Thankx

Hi!!,

Even I had faced the same issue last year. I went for the job in dubai & will be going for GMAt. I beleive that a good gmat score coupled with 3-4 yrs of work ex can land u up in a good b school.
In addition to this, All IIMs consider u as a international student if u r abroad for more than 1 year & hence can apply to them thru gamt which i beleive is a much easier way to getting into them rather than going for CAT.
Decide what u want kyuki "marzi hai apki, akhir career hai apka"

Bye for now
Hi!!,
Even I had faced the same issue last year. I went for the job in dubai & will be going for GMAt. I beleive that a good gmat score coupled with 3-4 yrs of work ex can land u up in a good b school.
In addition to this, All IIMs consider u as a international student if u r abroad for more than 1 year & hence can apply to them thru gamt which i beleive is a much easier way to getting into them rather than going for CAT.
Decide what u want kyuki "marzi hai apki, akhir career hai apka"
Bye for now

I decided to prepare for gmat & try for us as well as indian b school as i will b in us for 3 yrs intially on HI so i might have complete that 3 yrs full quota then study that was the reason i was skeptical about going on h1 now my plans are clear
and wil go on year end

THANKS for ur advice
Does a person needs to be an NRI at the time of filing the application to IIM's using GMAT score?

To explain in bit detail, i am currently working in US on L1 for the past 2 yrs. I am planning to give my GMAT, sometime end of this year. I want to apply for IIM's also using my GMAT score. My only worry is, will my application become invalid, if incase i need to be in India when i file my application.

Please help me in this regard.

Thanks.

Got the answer from IIMA website. Bad me should have researched thoroughly....

Anyways, to know more about admission procedure for Overseas Candidates (in IIMA) please visit the following link.

http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/programmes/admnri.htm

Thanks

u r a good techie right and i take it granted dat u like wat u workin on
so why do u wan to do MBA
follow ur passion and rest all money fame will follow
if u wan to do MBA stay here forget abroad but if u like being techie just pack and leave
vaneet

go abroad, earn money and aplly thr only as pointed out by one of the pgites abt MIT n all.
and at tht point if u wanna apply in india , apply just to ISB, IIMA.
thts my personal opinion