DIG of Police, Surya Prasad, IIMA - 2006 batch

A Conversation with Mr.SuryaPrasad,DIG of Police, class of 2006, IIM-Ahmedabad Here are a surprise few lines about an individual @ IIMA’s Class of 2006. Surprise because of two reasons; one because of the nature of his profile and two becaus…

A Conversation with Mr.SuryaPrasad,DIG of Police, class of 2006, IIM-Ahmedabad

Here are a surprise few lines about an individual @ IIMA's Class of 2006. Surprise because of two reasons; one because of the nature of his profile and two because he already was quite a regular guest on our forums. The person in question being Mr.Surya Prasad, a Deputy Inspector General of Police of the TamilNadu Police, an IPS officer of the batch of 88 (and a topper at that), police commissioner of Madurai in one of his previous assignments and a PaGaLGuY.com regular during his GD/PI days. And if these were not sufficient enough credentials, Mr.Prasad has been cracking an IIMA admit consecutively for last three years now (in fact BLACKI). Due to professional reasons, he could not take up his place over the last two years and now he is a student of the class of 2006. Know More !!! And yes, he is also the father of two beautiful kids 😃

CAT Percentile: 99.85
Final Calls: BLACKI
Work-Ex: 22yrs (yea, u read that right, its 22 YEARS !!)
Under-Graduation: B.Com - Osmania University

CAT Gyaan:

----> Time Management is the most crucial aspect
----> Learn to leave questions that cannot be solved in time. Identifying such questions helps a lot.
----> "It's what you don't know that's important; so be sure of what you don't know"
----> For RCs, Mr.Prasad looked at the length of passage and the number of questions that it has. If they were dis-proportionate, he left it.
----> Similarly he advises people to skip through any RC passage in case they are absolutely new to the topic.
----> Don't get bogged down by details; consequently, don't delve too deep into the details or read things where none exist.
----> Be cool during the exam. It makes a BIG difference
----> Spot the questions that you cannot solve and leave them right away.
----> Don't take wild guesses
----> Concentrate on few areas and become perfect in em. (easier said than done, right ;))
----> Practise by putting extreme time pressure to yourself. Try solving sections meant to be solved in 40 mins in something like 25-30 mins.

Mr. Prasad likes these @ A:

----> The Case methodology of learning
----> The quality of people here
----> Some of the amazing Profs here.

And he isn't particularly enamored of these @ A:

----> Less emphasis on soft skills
----> More emphasis on quant than is necessary
----> And he has a particularly emphatic question, "Is the stress needed???"
----> And he also feels the quality levels of support assistants such as RAs & TAs isn't really up to the mark.
----> He believes the emphasis on Relative Grading (RG) reduces learning; it also has the effect of people trying to pull down one another
----> And that not much time is given to internalize the learnings

On PaGaLGuY.com:

Mr.Prasad, like mentioned, has been a regular @ PaGaLGuY.com for quite some time now and in his opinion these are the things he loves about the forums :
----> The spirit of helping
----> The Co-ordination
----> The Community Service Initiatives

He also had a few suggestions for PaGaLGuY.com; we are in the process of thrashing out a few details regarding the same and ye guys shall see them out in the open pretty soon.

Mr. Prasad plans to specialize in Strategy + Finance/Marketing. He's looking at the cross-functional expertise that he can take back with him. And towards this end, thankfully, Mr. Prasad sleeps for close to 5-5.5 hrs everyday. He believes all people @ A sleep; just that their places of sleep differ (dorm or class) 😉 And he's quite happy that he is able to compete with junta who are atleast 20years younger to him (He's also in the top 10% of his class @ IIMA !!!)

He believes life @ IIMA is:

----> Sometimes childish (prolly coz of the generation gap)
----> Sometimes Interesting
----> Sometimes offering very good insights
----> Sometimes allowing one to see varied perspectives

The Backpacker to IIMA should carry:
----> Sincerity
----> Regularity

The most experienced person that he is in the class of 2006, we asked him what he believed was the driving force for most "kids" around 😉 . He believes its placements and that it is a result of the kinda people coming in; mostly with 1-2 years work-ex. He believes one needs diversity in the batch which an exam like CAT cannot bring about.

Sound-Bites:

----> Only a Busy man can understand the value of time
----> If you are willing to find time, you can

boy is this is a difficult profile to match......

3 dmits into iim a and i am crying for my first one which looks so elusive.,...

not to forget the massive work experience (22 Years):wow:

Thats my age......

he is working from the time i am born........

Rahul

An insipiration to all those who could not make it this year. there is no bar in terms of age, position, etc, if you have made up your mind for somehing accompolish it

akshatpa Says
An insipiration to all those who could not make it this year. there is no bar in terms of age, position, etc, if you have made up your mind for somehing accompolish it

hey i have a feeling that he made up his mind for th last three times but just shyed away in he end.......:)
rahul
Guys i just want to knw this every guy has a motive for doing mba wts DIG doing at iim a wt does he want from life after a great career ????if he is just there for the sake of proving a point (no offence meant sir )it would hav been better if someone else would hv got that seat n probably got a better chance to excel in life mayb someone coming from a poor family who might have supported his family!
p.s no denying he is a achiever!
( sir )
p.s no denying he is a achiever!

sir

good way of addressing although i would also personally be addresing the same way.....

have gr8 respect for people who give so much importance to their prsent life.......

and of course present responsibilities.......

my heartiest congratulations to u SIR

Rahul

common naw sunny boy...DIG of police older thn my dad n dude with a attitude ...
hes a sir all the way!

i have seen many iim'ites goint to ips. Now this is a reverse trend... maybe others will join soon.

PS: Can u imagine a police officer as ur manager? Wont he be too suspicious and will work only on filing an fir?? just kiddin...

uRmad Says
A Conversation with Mr.SuryaPrasad,DIG of Police, class of 2006, IIM-Ahmedabad plz do not quote huge posts in their entirety

This man is simply GOD...First time learning by knowing that AGE NO BAR..Hats off to you sir..

i'm glad the man in question did not play alongside Kurt Cobain. whom am i kidding..duh! he probably did!

Hi Subbu,

Whats Mr Prasad's Id on the Forum?

Hi Subbu,

Whats Mr Prasad's Id on the Forum?

Err...He used to browse the forums as a guest, thats what he told me..Donno if he still does :)

Cheers

that definitely is inspiring enough ... getting calls from BLACKI needs some punch ....

well i must say that person like mr prasad makes me more confident to do somethin gr8 in life. bcoz if we look at his profile he is a DIG police & still tryin to learn more. thats gr8 man. life is all abt learning. well i remember one beautiful quote "THE MOMENT YOU THINK U HAVE ARRIEVED , YOU STOP ARRIVING"

cheers

Hats off to Mr. Prasad's performance.

I think that somewhere along the line it is also the change of status of The IIMs which has
taken place.
Not very long ago the UPSC(IAS) was the dream job and attracted the best people.
Now CAT has more or less taken over and is the exam which most youngsters aspire to clear.

I think that this also signifies an end to the feudalistic attitude prevalent in our country,where in the District Magistrate(IAS) and SP(IPS) were akin to GOD .
This feeling still exists in mny parts of the country .

I guess post-liberalization there has been a change in the perseption of people
regarding business and more so regarding MBA from the IIMs.
What has helped the cause of IIMs is the nature of the UPSC exam,the salary
structures of the officials and the degenerating standards of our politicians

i got few more information about him.....
Name-Mr.M.V.N.Surya Prasad
DOB-15/08/62
Qualification-
"B.Com ICWA"
Work Exp-260 weeks

what can i say about him -'An insipiration to all'

well there is one thing which bugging me since i read my prasad's profile. what will he do after passing out from iim? i guess he will go back to his earlier job and yearn for more responsibilities. probably this is the reason why he waited for a official nod before joining iim

I guess he really likes to study. I donno what the need actually is. but Cheers and best of luck...

Well this is a perfect example that shows that IIMs are slowly moving towards the diverse backgrounds also. Like the top noch B schools in US, soon we'll find lots of ppl from diff backgrounds and diff age groups to interact with. This brings in lot of maturity and learning opportunity.

-Sam