Difference between the two topics of AWA?

Hi All, I recently joined this grp and it sure rocks. I registered for GMAT yesterday for 6th May. I have one basic doubt :-)). What exactly is the diff b/w response to ISsue topic and Argument topic in AWA? I feel finally both boil down to taki…

Hi All,
I recently joined this grp and it sure rocks. I registered for GMAT yesterday for 6th May. I have one basic doubt :-)). What exactly is the diff b/w response to ISsue topic and Argument topic in AWA? I feel finally both boil down to taking a stand and giving reasons for it. right?
besides, can someone provide me with any link to browse thru resumes of earlier MBA aspirants.. i read a thread by someone who was supposed to post such a link but could not see the link :-))

Please help.

TIA.
@nand.

No they are entirely different..... Try to first understand the basic meaning of words "Issue" and "Argument"....

Do you ever say : I am facing lot of arguments?
I am facing lot of issues?

This issue is wrong.
This argument is wrong

So issue is a something which can have multiple sides for discussion...

example : 1) Outsourcing US jobs to India.
2) Making gay marriages legal in India
3) Is MBA indicative of good leadership

All these are issues, since every person will come up with a different (and sometimes contradictory) opinions about this topic...

Whereas Argument is usually (restricted to GMAT) a logical deduction based upon certain facts and assumption

example : 1) Whenever I visit Delhi it rains, hence I am the cause of rain in Delhi
2) Whenever the bell rings someone is at the door, hence the bell is calling the
people

Althouhg these are exaggerated logical arguments based on certain facts and assumptions.... some real life arguments would be

1) My company was profitable when it had one single office. For the past 3 years my company is facing losses. Also from the past 3 years my company has multiple offices, hence having multiple offices causes the loss, therefore we should bring all offices at a central location.

Now, there will not be multiple opinions about this topic....(there would be....but that is not what is asked) ............we should not discuss the argument tangentially but to find logical flaws in the argument.

More simply this should be your strategy

Issue: Take one firm opinion, but present all the related opinions (even the contradictory ones).

Argument: DO NOT TAKE ANY STAND. Just follow the CR solving approach. Find the argument, the premises, the assumption. Then attack the assumptions.

I hope I have not confused you further.....

Ketan

Ketan,

U ought to be a professor!

Regards

Hi All,
I recently joined this grp and it sure rocks. I registered for GMAT yesterday for 6th May. I have one basic doubt :-)). What exactly is the diff b/w response to ISsue topic and Argument topic in AWA? I feel finally both boil down to taking a stand and giving reasons for it. right?
besides, can someone provide me with any link to browse thru resumes of earlier MBA aspirants.. i read a thread by someone who was supposed to post such a link but could not see the link :-))

Please help.

TIA.
@nand.

Hi,
In argument analysis, you have to adhere to the science of argumentation to criticise the presented argument. Please see this thread http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/tips-for-analysis-of-argument-critical-reasoning-25005935 for how to go about the AWA - Analysis section.
Issue analysis involves presenting your stand on the issue and justifying the same convincingly. It doesn't matter exactly what your stand is on the issue as long as you can back up your perspective. Since you need to formulate your stand in all of 30 minutes, it definitely pays to have a clear strategy with regard to issue analysis structure and just as importantly time management.

HTH.
vin.