Did not crack it. GMAT 710 (Q50 V36) AWA 4.5

Hi, I am a silent observer on this forum. I took GMAT last week and scored 710 with AWA of 4.5. I have 11 years of experience: 3 years in Manufacturing and 8 years in IT. I am fine with 710, but disappointed with AWA score. I am targett…

Hi,
I am a silent observer on this forum. I took GMAT last week and scored 710 with AWA of 4.5.

I have 11 years of experience: 3 years in Manufacturing and 8 years in IT.
I am fine with 710, but disappointed with AWA score. I am targetting Indian MBA programs, but I do not know how much importance they give to AWA. Can some of the gurus please enlighten me on this?

I want to emphasize that timing is one of the most important consideration on GMAT. I got the timing chart on this site. Nothing cools down frayed nerves better than the knowledge that you are not missing out on time.

Hi,
I am a silent observer on this forum. I took GMAT last week and scored 710 with AWA of 4.5.

I am fine with 710, but disappointed with AWA score. I am targetting Indian MBA programs, but I do not know how much importance they give to AWA. Can some of the gurus please enlighten me on this?

I want to emphasize that timing is one of the most important consideration on GMAT. I got the timing chart on this site. Nothing cools down frayed nerves better than the knowledge that you are not missing out on time.

With 11 years work-ex and 710 on GMAT, your AWA should be last on the list of things you should worry about. Besides, you can very well compensate for your AWA score, or rather, project your writing skills in the essays. All the best for the apps! 😃
Hi,

Great work-ex and GMAT score, especially if you are targetting Indian programs. Congrats.

Like Reachmonil said, your profile, showcased well, will almost overshadow the AWA and besides, you can make up for it with a smashing essay. :-)

Btw, can you please tell me what this 'timing chart' is? If possible, PM me the link to the same, or better post it here so that others could benefit too.

I found this timing chart most helpful:
Quant : 5-66, 10-56, 15-46, 20-36, 25-26, 30-16, 35-6
Verbal : 5-67, 10-58, 15-49, 20-40, 25-31, 30-22, 35-13, 40-4
Question number - Time left

Hi,

No body bothers about AWA! Trust me - that is the last thing on AdComm's mind is to see the AWA when they are looking at your essays. In some cases when the essays look too polished for someone from a non-English background they might want to peek into the AWA essays (btw schools get a copy of your essays when you send them the official score) to check if they match. But apart from that it really doesn't matter. In your case I don't think you have to worry on this aspect (I hope ).

And plus 4.5 is not as bad as you make out to be Perhaps what made you feel "bad" was the 60-odd percentile on your sheet. Don't worry this is because when grading on scale of 0-6 the magnitude of difference seems larger.

Arun
Whoaa...thats a new info for me.

Arun, do u seriously think that if the essays are too polished the adcoms peak into AWA...can u please let me know the source of this info?

I wrote the most terrible essays in awa....zilch practise...scored 4.5...i would like to believe my application essays were polished considering i got shortlisted in some good schools.

The reason i write this post is cause u have got me worried now...i have two important apps in R2...If what u wrote is true...i might be doomed!!

M

Okay let me rephrase that Let us say you got a 2.5 on AWA then it is a problem. 4.5 is NOT a problem. Heck even I got a 5 on AWA (no clue because I had 6 on an earlier attempt with no prep).

Plus the Adcoms have enough on their plate to worry - going through thousands of applications. At worst it might be a scenario where just before sending out the admit letter they see the AWA and say "wow! 2.5? That is low and the essays look different. Let me give him benefit of doubt and ask him to explain himself". But i don't see anyone being dinged straight away due to poor AWA Scores (poor is less than 3/3.5).

But the fact is that GMAC sends the AWA essays to all the schools you officially report your score to. So they do have it for their perusal.

Arun

Kudos to u !
Dont worry about AWA man!
Adcom is not going to peek it !