Delhi Community Service "RECHARGED"

I am starting this thread so that all the Delhi based members can get together and start thinking of a way to make a difference in whatever way we can… I hope this thread will generate sufficient response so that we will be able to make a plan…

I am starting this thread so that all the Delhi based members can get together and start thinking of a way to make a difference in whatever way we can...
I hope this thread will generate sufficient response so that we will be able to make a plan of action at the earliest...so please start posting :)

PS: When i tried to post in the old thread, it said:
"This Thread is more than 275 days old, you can't reply to it."
which is the reason why I had to start a new thread.

as i m gonna be in delhi for another two years now.... i can actively participate in aby activity that the group choses.... ppl come forward and pour in your ideas..... 😃 😃

neetusid Says
as i m gonna be in delhi for another two years now.... i can actively participate in aby activity that the group choses.... ppl come forward and pour in your ideas..... 😃 :)

thats great...now once we get some more volunteers, we can chalk out the plans...
till now, the maximum i could do was raise funds abroad...this is the first time i'll be able to work on the grassroots level, so kinda excited about it
hope to see some more replies soon...
I am starting this thread so that all the Delhi based members can get together and start thinking of a way to make a difference in whatever way we can...
I hope this thread will generate sufficient response so that we will be able to make a plan of action at the earliest...so please start posting :)

In order to make it effective you need to think of a focus area that you want to target..illiteracy..child labour..etc. etc. ..once we can decide on a focal point for starters then only can we consolidate our resources towards accomplishing the set goal..

Hope to see lots of action on this thread..

As Kennedy said in his speech long ago " ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU..ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY" or something like that..
Regards
Tanveer

hey yeah even i m interested...i will start workin soon so i can devote time only on weekends...i wanna know wat kinda stuff do u hav in mind????

well, we have the option of either working with an established ngo, or, if this thread generates enough response, we can start working on our own...
as far as the focus area is concerned, a consensus can be reached once we have enough volunteers...
personally, I would like to work in the field of child literacy...its heart-wrenching to see so many children working in shops instead of going to school...
something related to the environment would be good too...creating awareness among the public is the only way to save our natural resources and limit the level of pollution...
but i'm open to all suggestions, and willing to work in any field that everyone agrees on...

You can still reactivate the thread by ticking against the last line...

Just wanted to let you know...

Regards
Tanveer

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 276 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply.

oh, ok, thanks for letting me know :P
but lets continue here, now that we've started posting in this thread...

heres something interesting:

Pratham Delhi Education Initiative
Every Child in School . And Learning Well.

BE A PART OF THE EDUCATION MOVEMENT!

Volunteers needed for summer camps

Introduction

Pratham is a nation-wide non-profit organization working in the field of primary education for underprivileged children with its mission -" Every Child in School and Learning Well". Pratham was formed in Mumbai in July 1994 and since then, has brought change in the lives of lacs of children through its direct and indirect programs throughout India. In Delhi, Pratham Delhi Education initiative was launched in July 1999. Most of its work is concentrated in the Trans-Yamuna zones apart from some parts of Nangloi, Azadpur and Sadar-Paharganj.

Pratham works through a tripartite collaboration: Corporate, Government and Community.

Pratham's objective of getting children to school and ensuring that they learn well, is achieved through various direct implementation programs as well as influencing catalytic action by other agencies.

Pratham Delhi is conducting Summer Camps throughout Delhi in the months of May and June' 2007. This initiative will reach out to more than 12000 children in Delhi. The children will be in the age group of 6 -14 years and cannot read a simple text or solve basic mathematical problem.

Pratham invites the citizens of Delhi to volunteer for the camps this summer. During the camps part from helping children read various extra curricular activities would be conducted. Volunteers are invited to come in the camps help those children who are unable to read basic language and do arithmetic

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Where is the summer camp going to be held? When will it start?

The summer camp is not concentrated in a single geographical location. It will be held in buildings of Municipal schools or any place in the community where Pratham has presence. This includes areas in West Delhi, North Delhi and the Trans-Yamuna region. The summer camp will start on the 11 th of May. All classes will run between 8 A.M. and 11 A.M. Monday through Saturday. Every school building will have 4-5 classes running at a time.

What is the volunteer work profile?

We need volunteers who can take responsibility of making a child literate i.e. by helping him/her in learning basic language and arithmetic skills.

How can I help?

1. Volunteer for the summer camps.
2. Spread the word! If you can't volunteer directly, then inform people who might be in a position to help out. For a start forward this mail to all your contacts.
3. If you are student, get your institution involved. Senior school students and college students are most welcome.
4. If you are working in the corporate sector, get your company and colleagues involved as
Corporate social responsibility initiative. We would like your company to partner us.
5. Help in raising financial resources for the Read Delhi Program. (Pratham Delhi has Section 80G and 35AC exemptions under the Income Tax Act whereby donors are entitled to income tax exemptions)

Why does Pratham need volunteers anyway?

We want the citizens of Delhi to get involved in a more direct manner than ever before. The problem of quality education is huge. It's sad but it is estimated that more than half the children studying Grade V in MCD primary schools cannot even read simple Hindi. Most children are therefore unable to stay in school and finally drop out of school. More than 40% children who enroll in Standard I drop out of school by Standard V. Here's an interesting fact: Only 15-18% of Delhi children who enroll in Standard I ever make it past Standard XII!

We feel that the citizens being directly involved will add more energy to this effort.

Who can volunteer?

Anyone who wants to make a difference is welcome to volunteer .

What's in it for me?

We promise that this experience will change your life. And you will feel the impact of your participation within a few weeks. Often people say that they want to improve their city but do not know how they can help. Well, here is your chance - A citywide volunteer-based initiative that will touch the lives of thousands of kids! Unfortunately, being a non-profit organization, we can't pay our volunteers. But we realize that you will specially set aside a few hours every week for this cause. We will certainly give you a certificate of appreciation for the time and effort you put in for the summer camps. If you're a student and want to know how the non-profit sector works, this is a great opportunity to get some real hands-on experience!

Is there a deadline for registration?

There's no particular deadline, but we'd appreciate it if you register with us early. Registration before 7 th of May 07 will give us enough time to plan an orientation session for our volunteers.

I want more information / I want to register as a volunteer/ I want to help. Who do I contact?

You can contact:
Sahitya Agrawal: Mob: 991 030 7113, 931 304 3911
Office No: 2246 0251, 2250 7721
Email: [email protected]
To know more about Pratham visit Pratham .org | Pratham - A Network of Societal Missions to Achieve Universal Primary Education in India. NGO Children India Education

Great to see so much activity here:D

A few pointers based on my experience in Pune:

1) You will have to start the activity by associating yourself with a NGO. And searching a right one which can compliment your schedules and requirements is no mean task. So make no mistake there is a lot of work to be done before this activity can see some light of the day. You will have to visit various NGOs until you find the right one.
2) You need to be committed. Its no use going on for a few weeks and getting bored and leaving the activity. And believe me this happens a lot. And thats why when you visit NGOs you will find those people skeptical about involving enthusiastic young people
3) Be clear about the purpose of the activity. Do you genuinely want to help or do you see this as a *profile building* exercise. If it is the latter, neither of the parties involved in this will achieve much
4) I can't stress more on the commitment part. If you have committed to devoted 2 hours a week then there's nothing else that should come in those 2 hours. Of course some times you will not be able to make it, but the intent has to be there
5) Don't broaden your scope of activities too much and stick to things you are good at. Don't pick up any random activity just for the sake of it.

That should be it for now...
Some more maybe when you guys start up any activity :D

Cheers!

Nikhil

Great to see so much activity here:D

A few pointers based on my experience in Pune:

Cheers!

Nikhil

Thanks for the valuable advice, Nikhil...I completely agree with all of your points, especially the one about commitment ... :)

Well, I've done some research, and zeroed in on two NGOs that we can work with...
1. Udayan
2. Pratham

Both of them work with children and it is my firm belief, that if we want to see some real changes in the future, we definitely have to make sure that all the children receive sound education and an enjoyable childhood...
That is the reason I have decided to work in this field first.
Now all I have to do is visit both of them, and a little bit of interaction with their team will decide which one I am going to join...

I request all those who are willing to volunteer to please reply in this thread and give your opinion...
Also let me know if you are willing to visit these NGOs with me...most probably I'll be going sometime next week...also indicate the amount of time you are willing to give...

and everyone with experience in this field, please continue to pour in your views/advice/knowledge as we all highly appreciate such inputs...

Hey nice initiative..

i want to volunteer..but then i can come only on saturdays n dat too only for 2 hrs..i can come along wit you to chk out the NGO's wich u have zeroed..do lemme know where are these NGO's located..n where can we meet up?

Sonia

contact details:

Udayan: UDAYAN CARE:: Quality Care for the Disadvantaged
C-9 (basement),
Lajpat Nagar-3,
New Delhi-110024
Telephone numbers- 29840151/ 32603837

Pratham: Pratham .org | Pratham - A Network of Societal Missions to Achieve Universal Primary Education in India. NGO Children India Education
Pratham Delhi Education Initiative 38 A, 2nd Floor,
West Laxmi Market,
Patparganj Road, Khureji,
Delhi-110092

I talked to some friends who had worked for pratham last year...they recommended the pratham delhi education initiative...(details in post#10 of this thread)
i think the timings are comfortable, and its for 2 months...i've had some detailed discussions with their rep, and their initiative does seem pretty good...

@bindlishsonia: due to some personal reasons, i won't be able to visit any of the ngos before the 15th of this month...
if you are willing to wait till then, then its fine, otherwise you can go ahead on your own, and post your experiences here :)

ps: if you want to register for the pratham summer camp, contact
Sahitya Agrawal: Mob: 991 030 7113, 931 304 3911
Office No: 2246 0251, 2250 7721
Email: [email protected]

not sure what happened to old delhi thread. But Pgites were working quite actively with Udayan in Lajpat nagar. They used to visit every sunday as i remember.
Anywayz, with NCR, NGO won't be a problem. There are loads for every issue.
In case, anyone is interested in Noida, please let me know, I'm planning to start by visiting an orphanage every sunday and then extend further.

i had to go to east delhi last week, so i decided to visit Pratham on my way...

they require volunteers for the following areas :

1. PDRC -Analysis of various studies related to programme & various issues related to education
  2. One day Activates in the community classes (Story telling, drawing ,painting ,organizing quiz etc)
  3. Content Development (Make Math learning a fun based activity, creating science based models, etc )
  4. Report on Mahila Mandals (helping CBO's in capacity building and counseling, and various report making tasks, preparing annual reports)
  5. Teaching children in the community(maths, hindi, English)
  6. Helping in improvement of various systems at state resource centre
  7. Promotional content for pratham
  8. Donation & fund raising activities
  9. Helping volunteer for Community mobilization
  10. Make more volunteers
if you think you can help, then please do contact them...

for me personally, its not feasible to travel so far on a regular basis...so i'm looking for something closer to my place...

great going Delhi folks. if you need any suggestions or tips etc regarding how to start off i can try to help out

by the way , for mumbai CS ... people travel 1.30 to 2 hours so it should not be that big a deal 😃

well, suppose i have 4 hours to spare on a particular day...i would prefer to spend 30-45 minutes on travelling, and the rest on some actual constructive work, rather than spending 3 hrs commuting and 1 hour on the work...
this NGO is ok for someone who lives near east delhi, but i live in the other extreme end of Delhi.
I just found out that there's an NGO Deepalaya, which is active around my place, I'll try to get some details soon...

Hi Neets,

I recommend we volunteer our group services to the NGO named Bahrat Soka Gakkai - its a NGO which promotes values of world peace and happiness. Its an indian arm of Japanese Buddhist community known as Soka Gakkai International.

For more details visit.. Bharat Soka Gakkai - The Indian chapter of Soka Gakkai International (SGI)!!

Thanks
GM

Thanks

so ppl.... hav u all decided upon something????

we could find out details of some orphanage.... or an old age home... cz these two sects really need all the attention they can get.....

also is there someone frm west delhi?????