Declaration of Finances - I20/F1 queries

Hi All, Let us use this thread to discuss the way we can arrange for funds for the declaration of finances required for I20 and F1. We can discuss which all instruments (PF, Cash, PPF, FDs) we can use and from who all can we arrange. I h…

Hi All,

Let us use this thread to discuss the way we can arrange for funds for the declaration of finances required for I20 and F1. We can discuss which all instruments (PF, Cash, PPF, FDs) we can use and from who all can we arrange.

I hope many more people find this thread useful. Experienced folks please help

Cheers,
C!

Hi All,

Let us use this thread to discuss the way we can arrange for funds for the declaration of finances required for I20 and F1. We can discuss which all instruments (PF, Cash, PPF, FDs) we can use and from who all can we arrange.

I hope many more people find this thread useful. Experienced folks please help

Cheers,
C!

What I would like to know is..
Are the "Proof of funds" required by the University or the Consulate?
i mean.. Once we have an I-20.. it means university is satisfied that we can survive the course..
after that when we go for the stamping of F-1.. do we still need to show the funds there?
What I would like to know is..
Are the "Proof of funds" required by the University or the Consulate?
i mean.. Once we have an I-20.. it means university is satisfied that we can survive the course..
after that when we go for the stamping of F-1.. do we still need to show the funds there?

My understanding is that both the B-school and the US Consulate need to see 'proof of funds': the school needs the proof to issue your I-20 (your I-20 will list the sources of your funds and the amounts from each source); the US consulate needs the proof to corroborate what you show in your I-20
('proof of funds' = original bank statements, bank certified deposit certificates, etc)

Also, you may have to prepare 3 sets of 'proof of funds' documents: 2 sets for the school (One for school records and one for the school to sent to USCIS back in the US) and 1 set to take to the Visa interview. And at a minimum, you will have to show the US consulate the same 'proof of funds' documents you sent to the school.

Saying that, I would strongly urge you to write to your school about this - that way, you cant go wrong.