Decision: Univ. of Texas-Austin, Manchester & Rotman

Hi guys, I’ve received admits from University of Texas at Austin, Manchester and Rotman Canada. Please give your views on which one would be a better choice. Location is not a constraint for me. I want to work for 3-4 years abroad and then head …

Hi guys,
I've received admits from University of Texas at Austin, Manchester and Rotman Canada. Please give your views on which one would be a better choice. Location is not a constraint for me. I want to work for 3-4 years abroad and then head back to India for the long term.

I know i need to state my goals et al to get an effective answer, but it would really help me if you could tell what would u have chosen and why? The reason behind flexibility in goals is becuase I've seen too many people taking a stand earlier and then by the time they reach second year it changes. But, for the record I'm leaning towards IB/IM

Regards,
Nimisha

Hi guys,
I've received admits from University of Texas at Austin, Manchester and Rotman Canada. Please give your views on which one would be a better choice. Location is not a constraint for me. I want to work for 3-4 years abroad and then head back to India for the long term.

I know i need to state my goals et al to get an effective answer, but it would really help me if you could tell what would u have chosen and why? The reason behind flexibility in goals is becuase I've seen too many people taking a stand earlier and then by the time they reach second year it changes. But, for the record I'm leaning towards IB/IM

Regards,
Nimisha

hey..
we share the same name

all the best for ur decision...

Regards
Nimisha
Hi guys,

Regards,
Nimisha

Hey Nimisha,

Such a desirable situation that you are in:)
Congratulations!
Btw, IM - Information Management or International Management or ????

If IM = Information Management, i would say McCombs beats other schools hands down. Very gud curriculum, faculty, recruitment, ranking.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Best Regards,
Maunang
Hey Nimisha,

Such a desirable situation that you are in:)
Congratulations!
Btw, IM - Information Management or International Management or ????

If IM = Information Management, i would say McCombs beats other schools hands down. Very gud curriculum, faculty, recruitment, ranking.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Best Regards,
Maunang

Thank you Manunang and the namesake for the wishes :angel:

IB/IM = Investment Banking/Investment Management but I can also go to Strategy consulting although former is my preference as of now.
How does it look now? Guys please pour in your suggestions.

If this is McCombs go for it !!!

Thank you Manunang and the namesake for the wishes :angel:

IB/IM = Investment Banking/Investment Management but I can also go to Strategy consulting although former is my preference as of now.
How does it look now? Guys please pour in your suggestions.

I think Rotman is the best choice since you want to work for 3-4 years and then go back

Head for rotman
I know that will be the best for you

Texas is the better option in my opinion.

US is going through a recession right now
IB and Finance jobs are hard to come by and many have been laid off in these sectors
And being an international , there are many visa issues also.
Canada is very open and receptive
If I were you, I would go to Rotman

All the best
And do let us know , what decision you have made finally?

Thanks for the inputs people.
@MBA, 2008MBA, hello123 ---- Are you guys the same who are using multiple ID'S trying to influence my decsion and looking at your earlier posts it can be easily derived - if this is case please don't play with the future of others .
Are u waiting for your result of Mccombs and want one seat to be vacant??
God help you.. If you have this attitude then I'm sure you won't reach anywhere.
And if I'm wrong then please excuse me very much although I'm convinced that I'm not.

zune Says
If this is McCombs go for it !!!

Hey Nimisha,
Thanks for inputs - any specific reason or inputs in favour of Mccombs?
@MBA, 2008MBA, hello123 ---- Are you guys the same who are using multiple ID'S trying to influence my decsion and looking at your earlier posts it can be easily derived - if this is case please don't play with the future of others .
God help you.. If you have this attitude then I'm sure you won't reach anywhere.
And if I'm wrong then please excuse me very much although I'm convinced that I'm not.

smart girl..
even if there's recession in US ...situation wont be better at Rotman..
go for the best one..and that's Austin at the moment

i dont know about others.but i have an admit in an MBA college, have already paid the deposit and its in New England area.
sorry to dissapoint you.

Hi guys
This thread is of particular interest to me since I too am mulling over deciding in favour of McCombs over a couple of other offers I've got (Fisher and Kelley).

First of all, what in your opinion is the best way to get the right kind of information to base your decision on ? All I've done so far is scan the web for relevant information.

So far, it does seem to me that the incoming class at McCombs is the most competitive and thats something that works in its favour.

Also, Fisher is a regional school (for recruitment at least) and Kelley is also probably handicapped by its location. On the other hand, Fisher has offered a significant scholarship and Kelley is now ranked above McCombs !

Just too many variables to look at !!!

Any inputs would be of great help

confused

Anand

dumbledoor,

I'm a current McCombs student and here are some things to consider (assuming you're not in a position to visit your schools):

It's good to speak with a number of current students/alumni as you can get a sense of the school's culture. Sometimes you just get a feel that you won't/will fit in someplace based on this. Also, remember that current students/alumni (me included) are biased towards their schools whether they know it or not.

If you know what you're interested in academically, try and get in touch with a few professors and ask them questions about their department that relates directly to your goals.

Try and find out if the kind of companies you want to work for have a presence at the schools you're considering.

See what opportunities each school offers (student clubs, networking, hands-on opportunities, etc.)

Try and speak with other students who are in the decision making process and have visited these schools.

It's also important that you speak with people not involved with any of these schools to get an unbiased opinion.

You've probably done a lot of research already. What really helped me was visiting each school I applied to. Rankings are a great start, but they're not everything (and to clarify, Kelley's ahead of McCombs in the BW rankings, but not the US News one :-). Also, in my opinion, all three schools are stronger regionally than nationally. So it's a matter of which place you'd prefer to be at.

Anyway, it's important that you fit in at your school, feel good about being there, and feel proud about being a part of it. So try and get that sorted out as much as you can.

Well, all three schools you're mulling about are good choices - good luck!

thanks gocuse for the exhaustive reply!
As you've pointed out , I guess I should be talking to people from the respective schools and that should place me in a better position to decide.

thanks a lot for all your insights
regards
Anand

Thanks dumbledoor for drawing my attention to this thread.

@nimisha, i am an admit to McCombs and am certainly joining. Let me put in my $.02.
Firstly, MBS is not in the same league as UT orRotman, if you are planning to work in the US.
Rotman has an excellent finance program and almost all big ibanks recruit there. In consulting, although its not a powerhouse, the scene is quite ok.One of my close friends is joining Rotman this fall-2008 and has a lot of good things about the school. But, i would suggest you to speak to the current students to make an informed decision. My personal take, any US top20 school is better than the top canadian school.

About UT, i certainly have a lot of good things to say. The best thing about UT is you can always have an option-B, if your primary plan doesn't work out. Just for an eg:, one of the current students wanted to intern at a consulting firm , but given the current scenario, he couldnt land his desired internship. However, in this case, he chose plan B to intern at a reputed firm in their internal consulting division. Ditto is the case with a couple of other students, who were targetting IB, but landed in corporate finance/IM.
Further, i am sure you are aware of the class profile and diversity at McCombs. With only 22 desis among 265 students, you can certainly experience working with a diverse set of people. Further, i strongly believe a school is only as good as its faculty. Just have a glance at the faculty of McCombs and am sure you will be excited. Vijay Mahajan and Anitesh Barua are pioneers in Marketing and Information systems respectively.

Finally, juxtapose the placements in Rotman and UT based on---
---Number of intenationals in Finance roles.(focus here as we are intenationals)
---Further, split the jobs in terms of specializations--IB/IM/Sales/Corp Finance
Ditto with consulting as well.

All the best with your decisions and hope to see you as a future longhorn!

Hi guys,

Regards,
Nimisha