Deciding on which MBA @ 2010

Hi Guys, I am starting a thread here,where we all can discuss and share information regarding schools,our prefereces,options avaliable as per profile et al… First of all,a brief about my profile : Work ex : 4 + ( by the time I app…

Hi Guys,

I am starting a thread here,where we all can discuss and share information regarding schools,our prefereces,options avaliable as per profile et al...

First of all,a brief about my profile :

Work ex : 4 + ( by the time I apply )
GMAT 700 ( A bit low I guess)
Extracurriculars : Have got good sports activities in my profile.Have played sports at state,district and zonal levels and won many times,participated in inter college modelling contests and won a number of times there.
Community : very good.

Now for the shortlist of the colleges that I am targetting :

1. kelley
2. TAMU
3. Kranert
4. NUS
5. NTU
6. Carey
7. Georgia Tech

I have an IT consulting background ( yes yes..one of the three names tht pops in your head.. 😃 )...Am looking for an MBA in the same field,with scholarship...

guys,please participate and add your profiles and the colleges that you ar opting for,we can guide each other...

cheers...

My Profile

Wrk Ex : 3.75 at matriculation ( 3 at time of applying)
GMAT: 720 ( Q:49 , V:41 , AWA:4.5 :oops:)
Indian IT Male (Software Engr) ( Top 3 firm )
BE from top 20 college
Extra Curriculars : Good
Community : Nominal
No great acheivement academically or at work.

Looking for MBA to switch over to Consulting.
Planning to apply for 2 Top 10-20 ranked and 3 colleges in 21-30
then another couple in 31-40 range and NUS and Boston Univ/College

Have not decided for colleges. Will surely need some help for it.

Hope to see all of us next summer all smiling and celebrating :grin:

Hi Nishant...

Good to hear from you...What I have heard about Boston college is that these guys are quite generous about scholarships.However,Boston college is known for its finance...not consulting....

@ MBA@10 : Boston College is best known for Finance but then even Strat dept is well know. I think so you are confgusing COllege with Boston Univ. BU is handing out big schols especially if you take up MS-MBA course.
PG Junta, what is your opinion on BU for a person who is looking for a career in consulting ( IT/Strat )?

I got into the Duke MBA Cross Continent Program....What do you guys think of the program?

The Duke MBA €”Cross Continent

I got into the Duke MBA Cross Continent Program....What do you guys think of the program?

The Duke MBA €”Cross Continent

CC mba seems to be best suited for businessmen and young turks who lack management education. A normal student would not be able to reap best benefits out of program. With short reseidencies and long self study duration,the onus for keeping the motivation up for mba would be on you.
A person who is looking to apply knowledge on the fly is an ideal candidate. A person who is looking to network to look for immediate resolution of his issues is also a good candidate.

But i seriously dont understand the concept of residencies. How much will one learn of a culture of a country in 10 days in which you have classes too. CC mba is as good as distamce mba in that regard.
but i still feel if u r entrepreneur looking to go global and do not have MBA, Duke gives you name , fame and course to go global.

My initial goal was simply go to the best school I could get into...regardless of cost. The CC program seemed to be an awesome option, but the residencies are becoming a bit of an issue with my employer. I also got into a local program at UC Irvine would you recommend taking UC Irvine and continue working or deffer the CC program for a year?

ssati786 Says
My initial goal was simply go to the best school I could get into...regardless of cost. The CC program seemed to be an awesome option, but the residencies are becoming a bit of an issue with my employer. I also got into a local program at UC Irvine would you recommend taking UC Irvine and continue working or deffer the CC program for a year?

I'm just a a prospective student. I just knew a bit about CC program because i attended a session. Since i'm aiming for 2 Yr MBA, i'll always be bit biased towards them. My knowledge of UC Irvine is nill so can't really comment

Edit : Just read on BW forumns that Columbia GSB won't be helpin Intl students out on securing loan without a US Co Signer. The situation for Fall 2010 is also unlikely to change. So Columbia is likely to see some dip in quality of Intl application
QS World MBA tour is coming to India. I hope so it is a good experience.
I'm planning to attend it at Mumbai on Jul 13.
Any suggestions on how to make most of such tours ?
How can these tours help us influence our decisions. What should be lookout for in these tours

HI Nishant....I will also attend the your...lets meet up there.....mail me on
cheers

Hi Guys,

I am starting a thread here,where we all can discuss and share information regarding schools,our prefereces,options avaliable as per profile et al...

First of all,a brief about my profile :

Work ex : 4 + ( by the time I apply )
GMAT 700 ( A bit low I guess)
Extracurriculars : Have got good sports activities in my profile.Have played sports at state,district and zonal levels and won many times,participated in inter college modelling contests and won a number of times there.
Community : very good.

Now for the shortlist of the colleges that I am targetting :

1. kelley
2. TAMU
3. Kranert
4. NUS
5. NTU
6. Carey
7. Georgia Tech

I have an IT consulting background ( yes yes..one of the three names tht pops in your head.. 😃 )...Am looking for an MBA in the same field,with scholarship...

guys,please participate and add your profiles and the colleges that you ar opting for,we can guide each other...

cheers...

Why don't you also give a school like Darden or Johnson a shot? both are damn good schools...you never know what might happen!
fordfirestone Says
Why don't you also give a school like Darden or Johnson a shot? both are damn good schools...you never know what might happen!

Darden along with Harvard is a total Case study based school, hence i think so people with not so substantial wrk ex will tend to struggle there.
Though i particularly like Duke,johnson and Kenan Flagler in top 20 bracket.
Darden along with Harvard is a total Case study based school, hence i think so people with not so substantial wrk ex will tend to struggle there.
Though i particularly like Duke,johnson and Kenan Flagler in top 20 bracket.

Thats true - Guess it makes more sense for somebody with more work-experience. a la me.

Hi EveryOne,

Looks like there is not much happening in this one. But just to start off ...

My profile :
6 years IT with 3.5 years US exp. in Finance Operations.
GMAT 700 with Q48 V38 AWA 5.5
GPA 3.2/4
EC: Some NGO work in India

Post MBA : Corporate finance

Schools I am looking out for:
Johnson, Stern, Rochester, Mccombs, TAMU and Queens.

So mighty folks of the PG, whats going on? Any scoops on special strategies for the essays in schools?

later!

Thanks for the suggestions Nothing1954 ,
I did consider the British schools but mainly for the full time MBA Sessions.

Due to some personal preferences US will be my preferred place to study.

More over, I don't have the Investment related work experience. I am currently handling IT finance operations. This is pretty straight forward IT work, basically enabling clients to get do billing and other things.

I am interested in a program with strong finance or accounting program with a strong dose of strategy.
Please let me know if you see any other colleges that can be tapped in US.

Guess according to ur interests Simon rochester fits to the T,other program I would suggest would be Rotman its very strong in stratergy and finance but then you go to contend with the canadian market

I am interested in a program with strong finance or accounting program with a strong dose of strategy.
Please let me know if you see any other colleges that can be tapped in US.

Hi Guys,
AnyBody has the ranking based on specilization for UK MBA.I search a lot but didn't find.Thx in advance