[Debate] Has the IT revolution created few generations of losers?

This is part of the debate series which I thought of after recent observations. We will discuss few issues here and see how the discussion unfolds. Few rules to go by - 1) No Thanks/Groans. Make a post if you have anything to say. 2) No on…

I dont know whether I am qualified enough to say that "IT has created a generation of losers".But working 2.5 years in IT , I have had experiences on which I can say the following things.

1. There are very few companies in India in IT which can say there are doing genuine innovation.Innovation in IT is linked to research and we have very few Phd scholars in Computers/IT in India as compared to the huge number of BE/Btech.Consequently we can say that there is a dearth of qualified doctorates in IT in India.Moreover very few people actually do a phd after getting into an IT company , especially in India.
  2. Most of the IT companies are either service based companies or MNC who are based in US.I work for the latter category and all I can say is that most of the cool work for those companies in done in US.India only has implementation , maintenance and testing etc kind of jobs.The high level design or the thought process is done in US.Again I am talking about the majority here and there can be cool/innovative work going on here but I doubt even 1% of the total IT people in India are part of it.As far as the service based companies are concerned I dont have much idea about them but the fact that most of the people going for MBA from IT belong to service based companies says a lot about how the people feel working there.
  3. IT usually follows a regular cycle of work.ie you do the same kind of work in different cycles of the product release.Hence its mundane.Scope of innovation is limited and hence there is limited learning once you have mastered what you need to do.I feel that once you get into the comfort zone and lose the urge to learn its very difficult to get out of this mode.
  4. Money in IT is not bad.Especially at the start of everyone's career you feel that money is everything and jump at the opportunity.But slowly you realize the importance of other things and that your growth(both money and role wise) is not necessarily linked to your performance.Consequently your performance drops.After 2.5 years at work I feel I was 100% more enthusiastic and better at thinking in college.

PS : I cant say that other professions are challenging but doing research in any field definitely is and hence there are very few takers in India in that domain.

Well Rohit, I will try to reply/add-on to some points.

Firstly honestly I didn't quite find the comment made by you to be very encouraging (no offences meant.I am here to debate) .

See if you talk about Job aspect, I do agree that many of the people are frustrated in IT companies because of late, most of the service based companies have turned out to be blood suckers in terms of inputs demanded by them in limited salaries. But does that make the person working in that company a "loser"? I beg to differ from this now. There are many who want to do an MBA to get the hell out of IT (read Technical job) but there are also many people who stick onto the job because they do have passion for what they do however small it is. And to not to be termed as a "loser",one doesn't have to necessarily invent a platform or a language. A winner is one who even with a small contribution from his side (even if its solving Trouble Tickets) contributes to the growth of his project/company in his own small way. A winner is one who fights the monday blues to again go into that office (read Hell for many of IT guys) and still give his best and walk away with appreciation mails. A winner is one who grunts about his leaves being not approved by management but still comes on weekends in office canceling his appointments. And trust me this is no mean feat.

Also, there are many technocrats who have great innovative ideas but no support and funds to carry it forward. Innovation and invention is not everyone's cup of tea.... If it would have been, then everyone amongst us would have been Edison.Newton etc. Its the grey cells that tickle and unfortunately not everyone has the equal or same amount of them in his skull. I hope you get my point what I am trying to convey.

Regarding people being called as resource, I am with you in this point. I highly object people/managers calling the team members are resource. But of late resource has become technical jargon and so me,you or anyone can't do anything to curb this term.

Also, in your post you have mentioned about four options for an IT guy-
1) Do an MBA
2) Go Onsite and earn some good money
3) Stick around for few years in a company and go up in management.
4) Keep job hopping from one company to another with a increase in salary and position.

One more option which I can add on is starting his own venture after getting some experience of how things work professionally.

IT has given India a new recognition in international arena and people who are driving it and making India proud are definitely not losers.

PS-I have still much to add but need to look into my office work as well. I will edit my post at suitable time.

In my honest opinion, the IT industry has completely lost the sheen it once possessed. More so, when it comes to the service based giants like Infy,TCS,Wipro etc.

Product based companies like Microsoft, Google may be doing well and will continue to do so, but they will continue to employ only a tiny fraction of the IT - educated population.

Basically there is a limit upto which software can go. The primary purpose of software was to automate mundane official tasks. As a consequence, those who lived through the IT boom of the late nineties were very lucky indeed. However now that all possible forms of automation have already been developed, hoping for something revolutionary would be foolhardy to say the least.

Yes, there are phenomenona like Facebook, Twitter or stuff like Android in the mobile segment but they are far too niche too employ a large population.

A major chunk of those employed in the IT industry today are doing what is called 'support' work. This of course, is a direct result of all the development that happened at the turn of the millenium. Making a few changes here and there to software that has already been developed is not the dream that a genuine software engineer would carry.

Coming back to the title "Has the IT revolution created few generations of losers?"

Not exactly. As i mentioned before, IT companies may be at a point of saturation right now, but the most important contribution that they have done is that they have given many people from the hinterland a chance to live a better life. I work in an MNC myself and find that most people around me are not from the metros but from small towns all across the country. If the IT boom had not happened, these people would never have had a chance to leave their town and enter the big world in this manner.

The IT revolution may have created a generation of intellectual losers but it has also bought to the fore, the innate talent that lies within India's youth. :)

I dont know whether I am qualified enough to say that "IT has created a generation of losers".But working 2.5 years in IT , I have had experiences on which I can say the following things.

1. There are very few companies in India in IT which can say there are doing genuine innovation.Innovation in IT is linked to research and we have very few Phd scholars in Computers/IT in India as compared to the huge number of BE/Btech.Consequently we can say that there is a dearth of qualified doctorates in IT in India.Moreover very few people actually do a phd after getting into an IT company , especially in India.
  2. Most of the IT companies are either service based companies or MNC who are based in US.I work for the latter category and all I can say is that most of the cool work for those companies in done in US.India only has implementation , maintenance and testing etc kind of jobs.The high level design or the thought process is done in US.Again I am talking about the majority here and there can cool/innovative work going on here but I doubt even 1% of the total IT people in India are part of it.As far as the service based companies are concerned I dont have much idea about them but the fact that most of the people going for MBA from IT belong to service based companies says a lot about how the people feel working there.
  3. IT usually follows a regular cycle of work.ie you do the same kind of work in different cycles of the product release.Hence its mundane.Scope of innovation is limited and hence there is limited learning once you have mastered what you need to do.I feel that once you get into the comfort zone and lose the urge to learn its very difficult to get out of this mode.
  4. Money in IT is not bad.Especially at the start of everyone's career you feel that money is everything and jump at the opportunity.But slowly you realize the importance of other thing and that your growth(both money and role wise) is not necessarily linked to your performance.Consequently your performance drops.After 2.5 years at work I feel I was 100% more enthusiastic and better at thinking in college.

PS : I cant say that other professions are challenging but doing research in any field definitely is and hence there are very few takers in India in that domain.

Couldn't agree more with you mate. Great point made. But in college we were still in the stage of adolescence. At that time (with limited cash in our pool courtesy parents) bucks in IT seemed more lucrative.

But then saturation point,I believe is subjective.My manager has a work-ex of 20 yrs in the same company 😃 😲

I am giving a more general view, as in innovation we lack, it is not limited of just IT.

The Economic Scenario,

We are third world countries, about 86.37% of total working population are engaged in unorganized sector,
we are a country of the masses, here in Indian economy we could do very little with specialized jobs, instead we need to have job for the masses, 1lakhs for a head per month is undesirable if we can get 10K for ten people,

So innovation is not the key, instead serving those who innovate holds the better cause for us, research is time dependent and outcome oriented, of almost 90% of research is wastage, and 10 percent gives some returns, due to high cost of research and low return prospects nobody dare to try a new idea.

Country Platform:/Market Access Today we talk of Google/Microsoft/Apple/IBM etc., but they have direct access to the whole of world, once they develop any product or software for that record it guarantees them returns beyond any calculation,
The rule makers confirm that these MNCs enjoy a level playing field, by attracting global pool of talent.

Education Scenario If we are considering innovation we are considering the US,

Bill Gates is a college dropout, Steve Jobs never went to college, and if we take other sectors then there is Richard Branson the school dropout, from history there is Einstein who failed in School,

Now our own Mathematician Ramanujam, was thrown out of university for failing, he went to US & Europe later and completed most of his research from there, Now why did Indian Universities let him go?

One of my very good friend dropped out of college, he wanted to create a local supply network through internet & Phone, he went for a loan, but the bank said you are not even a graduate.

Societal Structure

So here are the limitations, in words of Vivekananda most innovation thoughts comes in middle & lower class of society, there are examples aplenty,

APJ Abdul Kalams Father was a fisherman, so he is undoubtedly the best person in defence research India has till date.

Most Middle/Lower class have no proper access to quality education,

How many people can pay 20-30 K and enrol for FIITJEE, AKASH, CL, etc.
Some strata of society enjoys a positive benefit,

Today we talk about reservations in negative sense, whenever we see a SC/ST/OBC in a same class we feel superior, but this is not the case,
factors like reservations are in US too, and people like Morgan Freeman, Denzel washington come out being red Indians,

We as Indians need to create a level playing field in terms of thoughts, social Infrastructure,

Indian Psychology/Money An Inspiration

We are a country where we can still find dowry cases, we are ranked 81 in corruption perception Index, whereas country like US is ranked 16, now people of India have a soft spot for money, not earning through true means but earning through illegal means,

Parents enforce kids for a job & education, kid grows up have security issues, money becomes his objective, without paying focus on the mode through which to earn?

the brilliant one Becomes an engineer, then does MBA from IIM, and joins some company,

There are people who after studying at IIT Kharagpur, then working at DRDO, go for Masters in MFC, such is the condition,
it is pathetic and disgraceful.

Innovation in IT, the next outlook/ Non-Identification

The Russians are developing a stealth invisible Fighter aircraft for which India too is funding,
The US is in process of completion of its Iron Man Suit
the Japanese are near completion of Invisible Cloak,
And all of the above with help of Info. Sys.

Now IT is not just limited to a specific sector like Office Automation, Financial Softwares, ERP, it is of a greater magnitude,
Apples Pixar is continuously developing it graphical technology and giving rare class of animation.

We need to identify the new issues, to take part in global competition.

Its a sequence, u see...
1) Dot - Com bubble of 1995-2000
2) Led to stat of Infy,Wipro,TCS Era..(Just for example here, Azim Premji become 2nd richest person in the world) :shocked:
3) Software Engineers in India started earning astronomical figures.
4) Intelligent Indian Youth spotted the opportunity, students started filling the IT Wings of Colleges without thinking what they like... :shocked:
5) IT Bubble burst....World com bankruptcy followed....stock markets fall 50% in a year (Again just for example, Azim Premji didn't even remain in the list of first 50 richest persons in the world )
6) The packages started falling
7) This Generation of Engineers came out of colleges...
The packages were not up to expectation and profiles sucked big time
9) Suddenly, they came to know, that they are the least interested in what they are doing. They started searching for alternatives.:oops:
10) The best alternative was MBA...So CAT becomes more glamorous.
11) Era of MBA Institutes starts.....

P.S. This doesn't apply to students from Premiere Institutes. :thumbsup:

Just my interpretation...!!!

China has its manufacturing industry, for India it is IT. Whenever a country starts emerging from a long period of economic setback it starts looking for a particular industry that will spurt its growth and then slowly as the economy matures other sectors will rise and the youth will start diverting to other fields because as the economy grows local demand grows and hence newer fields emerge where the youth will hone their talents and also global companies like IBM and Google are now outsourcing their key R&D; activities to India, so even IT will show resurgence. Every generation has its share of people who will choose a comfortable lifestyle backed by growth in a particular section, since ages it was manufacturing be it Germany, The Soviet Union and now China and you cannot fault them for going in for good jobs when the opportunities are virtually non existent outside that sector.
As far as innovation is concerned, it only begins to emerge when the country reaches a comfort zone as far as its economy is concerned, so it is the market forces that decide large scale innovation. Even in the US innovation was spurred in the IT industry because their universities could afford computers in the 70's(read the biographies of Bill Gates and Bill Joy to understand what I mean) and the economy was chugging along well.
In a country where getting settled is huge societal necessity for getting the good things in life the young generation has no choice but to look for jobs that keep them safe and cocooned. For innovation and change to come about we need to encourage a society that respects and encourages non-conformity.

If a loser is defined as someone who doesn't do an innovative work, who doesn't always follow his passion, who doesn't create jobs for others, who doesn't always excercise his right to vote or who doesn't contribute directly to his nation's growth, call IT People a bunch of losers, BUT

- these are the people, to whose credit, the country is getting substantial foreign investments year on year.
- these are the people who are building the image of India online by putting forth their views on numerous forums and they are not paid for it by some communist government as the Half Cent Army gets paid for its false propaganda.
- these are the people who have a substantial spending and hence are single handedly driving the growth of cities like Hyderabad, Bangalore, Gurgaon, Noida and even Kolkata, Mumbai and Chennai to some extent.
- these are the people for whom corruption is a foreign word. Take any PSU or any infra-company and notice the scale of corruption there.
- and finally, compare the level of commitment towards work, no matter forced or deliberate, shown by these guys, with that of School Teachers, Lecturers, Bank Employees or any other Profession of the 1990's.

I keep my final statement open for all of us to decide whether or not to label this IT generation as 'Losers' .

The way all of ur discussing is wonderful keep it up guys (I dont have such incisive perspectives, so for now i am just doing the work of appreciating you )

estranged_gnrs Says
This is part of the debate series which I thought of after recent observations.

I was going to launch a superlong retort to your post, but I realized that I don't disagree with all of your points. My view is that stagnation (in terms of innovation and NOT in terms of growth/size), has taken place in virually all facets of industry.. from telecom (where one of the biggest moneymakers in our so-called "revolution" are chinese telecom equipment manufacturers) and pharma (virtually entirely dependent on generics) to defence (the sheer bulk of our imports is staggering).

The stagnation in IT that you are referring to is merely a manifestation of more deep-rooted malaise within our education system (and I fear now in our cultural ethos as well). IT is everyone's favorite bashing boy because of its size (and once-present glamour). It bemuses me when people say that "IT has contributed nothing to our country or Indian IT industry has nothing original to show for all its glory".

Who claimed that IT would be a panacea to problems which existed even before Y2K?
When was the last time an Indian scientist won the Nobel prize in basic sciences? When was the last time any Indian company in any sector came out with a truly path-breaking innovation that has shaken the foundation of the world?
When the answers to the above will in all likelihood have to googled, why should we expect things to be any different in IT?

A few questions which could probably help the discussion:

1. How many patents have been filed in India in the last 10 years, and what is their break-down according to each industry?
  2. What is the average entry-level renumeration offered to skilled labour in various industries (including government)?
  3. Among skilled labour, which industries and roles provide the most number of employment opportunities to fresh graduates? (A highly significant question since it impacts career choice in a major way)
  4. What is the percentage of Indian students opting for basic sciences after Std. XII (vis-a-vis engineering, arts, commerce, proffessional degrees) ?
  5. Among the top 25% ranked engineering institutes in the country, if you aggregate the top 25% ranked students in each institute, how many of them end up
    1. Working for Indian IT services industry?
    2. Going abroad for their masters (typically MS) degree?
    3. Doing an MBA?

The list is not exhaustive, but I believe that obaining such data is fundamental in order to answer the question that has been posed.

Coming back to the question, "Has the IT revolution created few generations of losers?". Without any data available, I would off-hand probably say "yes". My only question is, if the IT sector hadn't bloomed in the manner that it has, could you be so sure that we wouldn't have generations of losers anyway? Would those students have gone into other areas (arts/commerce/medical/core engineering,etc) and done something extraordinary/pathbreaking for the country? Are any other education streams and industry sectors doing things which can be termed as "cutting-edge"?

These are question that I have asked myself (being a typical Engg->IT->MBA "loser") and quite honestly, there are no clear answers because quite frankly the malaise in the systems goes beyond "IT".

I look forward to having a fruitful discussion on the topic.

Before I sign off, I thought that I would respond to one question asked by the admin:

1) When was the last time any Indian company/individual created a new language/platform?

Here is someone who has (I know this through a friend who was remotely involved in the project). The guy may be one in a billion, but that doesn't mean that we should ignore the one.

Clay Programming Language

I state at the outset that I do not agree with Rohit's statement.
However, I am glad that he made such a statement because when you provoke, people think. The fine replies on this thread are a testament to this.

I have been in the IT industry for 2.5 years before quitting this May. Do I think I did justice to my BE - IT degree from a prestigious college in those 2.5 years in an MNC? I'm afraid not. Yet, I believe that the IT industry is not the reason why youngsters in our country are being labeled as 'losers'.

The society has to be in a pyramid shape. For the educated lot, the bottom of the pyramid is filled by BPO employees these days, on top of which come the IT employees followed by other professionals. But this has been the case always. Earlier, the uneducated lot were employed as mill workers. So does this mean that IT/ITeS employees will meet the same fate as the mill workers did in the 80's? Maybe. Sooner or later, some other country like the Philippines will provide even cheaper labor for IT and our dispensable workforce will be left redundant.

But the problem of Rohit's argument is that he has 'super-generalized' on the basis of education imparted. You see, higher education is not a magic solution that will make you grow like Alice in Wonderland. Think of it, what jobs do most MBAs end up doing? Sales, pushing buttons to fill excel sheets or becoming HR reps in.. you guessed it, IT companies.

Before you start counting the more glamorous jobs offered to some elite MBA college students now, I plead to to understand my point. Doing what everyone does, studying what everyone studies will keep you where everyone is. It is your passion for innovation, enterprise and street smartness that will determine whether you are a winner or a loser in life. You can't generalize it thus Rohit.

It is about how technology defines and again a new technology redefines a new age,
when Walkman, or VCR or Television sets were discovered they became pass times, Those generations were not millennial.

In words of Ayn Rand
"Mans basic vice, the source of all his evils, is the act of unfocusing his mind, the suspension of his consciousness, which is not blindness, but the refusal to see, not ignorance, but the refusal to know. Irrationality is the rejection of mans means of survival and, therefore, a commitment to a course of blind destruction; that which is anti-mind, is anti-life."

Today similarly the computer hardware & software are platform of a new age, the IT age,

beyond every invention has its curse, some people understand what positives can be attributed to society through technology and many are consumed in technology itself,

But in some aspects the thoughts of millennial are very critical, they assume criticality in every aspect of imperfection, or deviation for that record,

If someone decides to stay single they would be labeled as gay or lesbian,

If someone is lonely and wants to left alone, they would be forced in a world of pseudo-togetherness either by societal shape up, or own fallout,

I am continuously thinking of getting rid of social networking like FB & Orkut, but falling weak whenever i see my communities or pages or numerous creative posts i have made, it has given me a virtual identity, People don't know me, but these posts are also a part of me which the world can't discard,

This is the layer of consciousness built over every ages,

Nobody knows what life is, it is like an undefined function, there is no objective, but we consider certain lives as ideals, mostly the creative lives,

like that of Newton, Einstein, Edison, Wright Bros., Da Vinci, Michelangelo,
But then that was classical age, the best of all, coz. it induced a fusion of barbaric medieval times and a modern social hierarchy.

Every thing is in cycles, whatever grows up comes down, that is the case with civilizations, economic cycles, the ages or times also,

sooner or later the IT age will come down, some new age will replace it, then it won't be millennial but a new something,
Has the IT revolution created few generations of losers?
the topic itself seems contradictory to me. No offense. But on one side you are quoting it to be a revolution and on the other side it has been blamed to create loosers. thanks for opening a thread like this. for nerds like us it will be very helpful to put forward what we opine.

what i feel..IT companies have a very successfull business model around which their revenue generated evolves. Imagine, you have created some code blocks 20 years back, and you can still generate money from those code blocks by minor modifications. Isn't that innovation in business?
even a barber has to keep in with latest trends of hairstyles in order to be in business.

for the second point, why should a software engineer in a major it firm write original piece of work. if he is getting paid for just doing copy and paste, why will he not juice that oppurtunity and make money. the goverment creatd iits for innovation. there have been no such breakthroughs of such sort that had justified creation of iits till date.

frustration and it go hand in hand... a very astute observation... probably due to the fact that frustrated IT people have acess to computers also. and that is why, the frustration displayed by them is ubiqutous and omnipresent. even a chai wala is frustrated if you talk to him. but the fact that he is not connected to internet, he has no other option.

3) How many people in IT can say, they are among the top developers in the world in a particular technology?

dont you think that it has ended monopoly in the market. the one that was creatd by IBM and MIcrosoft in the era of DOS. and there are people in IT who can say that they are among the top developers of a particular technology in the world... people who design softwares for advanced warfare systems that only a choosen few have acess to.... and they do work for a major IT company....Lockheed martin...

As for my second statement about the last revolution country saw was in 1975-1977 when emergency happened. Our youth has not seen the times of turmoil and hence I doubt their capacity to stand up in the time of crunch. Anti reservation strikes, Kargil War, Internet Bubble bust in 2000 were very local in nature and did not affect the normal functioning and of the country.

here Rohit Sir, i strongly disagree with you. anti reservtion strikes, kargil war seemed to be local to you? what do you really expect the country to go through? a pearl harbour????
and the fact that there were no riots and after the ayodhya verdict, stongly puts forward the point that normal functioning of country has been affected. It has morphed itself from the one that was based on personal agendas to the one which involves standing with each other and not against.

IT has given the ever growing populace of our country a chance to cash on this not so local phenomenon of population UNCONTROL.(hope aisa word hota hai)

money in IT is good. there are fancy designations. and a chance to be with your school friends in the same company, ....

P.S. blabbered something for the very first time.. feeling real good

and whether one is a looser or a winner in life is solely deteermined by what he/she has as his/her goals.

- these are the people for whom corruption is a foreign word. Take any PSU or any infra-company and notice the scale of corruption there.
-

You cannot rule out corruption/fraud from IT sector. I hope you were aware about the magnitude of Satyam fraud.

If you want to talk about ethics, I would like to quote my experience,

I was told to lie to a US Customer that I have 3 yrs of work ex , but I was just having 1 at that time.The company where I was working was not a small one but one of the IT majors in India.

Well the thread seems to be inactive and my this post is going to be after a very long gap but i couldn't resist.

I believe it is much better to have a 'few generations of losers' rather than having a few generations of 'unemployed' people.

So what if we haven't created any new language at least we are contributing in the development of country

So what if a developer has not written any original piece of code " he is just saving the time and trying to finish the work on time, with the available options in hand'" and this practice is not gonna end the world. And its certainly not like that a developer never writes a original piece of code

3) How many people in IT can say, they are among the top developers in the world in a particular technology?

how many of us in any of the fields can say this that they are are among the top in the world in whatever they do?

As for my second statement about the last revolution country saw was in 1975-1977 when emergency happened. Our youth has not seen the times of turmoil and hence I doubt their capacity to stand up in the time of crunch. Anti reservation strikes, Kargil War, Internet Bubble bust in 2000 were very local in nature and did not affect the normal functioning and of the country.

Pardon me but i really didn't understand which point is raised here:
Are you suggesting that an emergency kind of situation is necessary to become strong?

Are you trying to say that "since this generation of IT is of losers, still they are earning a lot of money hence that makes them fragile and incapable to stand in times of turnmoil"?

Fighting with the odds and turning them even is an art which people learn gradually in their life and there is no simulation available to learn that art hence when the time comes people who are mentally strong and determined irrespective of their occupation/jobs will succeed.

Lakhs of people having various degrees in engineering from top colleges end up doing a job which a 12th class pass can do with proper training. Huge amount of talent which could have been utilized for path breaking research, products and software has been wasted

If I could get the IT job(those which are offered to B.Tech these days) after 12th i wouldn't have mind dropping graduation. There are certains things beside studies although not many which essentially requires time you spend in this savage world.
And about talent being getting wasted, well thats the problem with everything in India i need not to mention many e.g as olympics.
It is the problem with the education system of India and not the IT revolution.

Options for someone in IT is -
1) Do an MBA
2) Go Onsite and earn some good money

those in IT after sometimes want to do MBA its just because they see a greater benefit in it and also because they have that option available to them and within their reach. Whether agree with me or not but it is truth that MBA has been always about money(however exceptions are everywhere) so its not just the IT people its applicable on every other sector also, its just that number of people working in IT sector are very large hence we can easily generalise the thing.

In the end i just wanted to say that its the IT revolution because of which today I am earning my bread-butter and living a stable life, and if I am one of the losers of IT then let it be , I am very happy being a loser