DBA/PhD (Doctorate) in Business Administration

Hi, I have been looking around the forum for a thread that answers queries for folks interested in pursuing a more academic/research based career in business from abroad, but havent found any. I have loads of queries (most un-answered du…

Hi,

I have been looking around the forum for a thread that answers queries for folks interested in pursuing a more academic/research based career in business from abroad, but havent found any.

I have loads of queries (most un-answered due to the paucity of information), so if there are people with an interest in doctoring in business, please pitch in and let us share our thoughts!

I am assuming that PG isnt an exclusively MBA degree/diploma forum and can take our questions!

Regards,
Vic

Ok, I could see that some folks atleast have viewed this thread, so i am putting down a few things about a DBA/PhD in Business Administration.

1) I know a lot of folks are keen on doing an MBA, with very few actually knowing exactly why they want to do it. However, there may be some of you who have felt over the course of a couple of years work in the corporate sector, that the corporate life of planning, deadlines, executions and schedules is not exactly what turns you on, and you cant see yourself regimented in the race say 5 - 10 years down the line, you need to do some introspection on what exactly woukd suit your learning/working/execution style. Some of you may venture into the not-for-profit sector, some into the social sciences (though management itself is a social science) and some into entrepreneurship.

I am not saying that the private sector is bad. You just have to do an honest assessment of yourself at this stage to figure out where you would be most effective and where you could make the most difference, rather than letting your intrinsic talents go waste.

During this reflection, if you feel that you are a person who is more interested in concepts and ideas and theorizing new strategies and innovations in the study of management/business, or have a passion for teaching and carrying out research, then a doctorate in business administration could be your calling. Evaluate yourself @ HBS Doctoral Programs: Setting Your Own Agenda or take an MBTI test!

2) One of the good things about doing a PhD/DBA is that your entire tuition/study material etc is 100% funded! Not only that, you also get a yearly stipend of around $23,000 if you are studying in a good B-School in the US, or 10 - 15k per month if you do it in India. This is exclusive of some teaching allowances that you can earn during the study. Alos, the university funds a large part of your international trips for paper presentations. seminars etc. Not a bad deal, I would say.

3) Once you complete your degree, there is no hard and fast rule that you have to stay on in the field of academia. If its research and its practical applications that interests you, you can very easily land up a handsome job in the corporate sector (read Google, all you IT folks!) or in the government (policy research etc). Thats because in the first 2 years, the course work that you will be doing would be more or less same as that of a 2 years MBA.

4) Well a dampener could be the fact that it takes on an average 4-5 years to complete your doctorate. So high academic accomplishments, commitment and focus are the keys.

5) The acceptance levels are comparably as low as that of an MBA degree, if not lower. One of the top institutes admitted only 21 candidates out of an application pool of 700. But yes, the competition is less compared to an MBA degree (in terms of demographics).

6) If you aspire to be a part of the technocratic revolution of India or are committed to solving the worlds most challenging problems in business, economics or even society, a career in academia/research would keep you focussed in that goal. Who knows - you could be the country's next Nobel laureate! :smile:

7) Some famous Indians from the world of business academia/research - 1) Sumantra Ghoshal , C.K. Prahalad

I hope some of you will be interested!

Regards,
Vic

Cool!!
That was really nice to read on t it ..m sure there shuld be nobel laurates from pg too who undersatnd to change the education system of india n able to work for indian education growth close to wat US/UK education.Im sure more ISb kind's.more PHD in buisness adminsitartion is possible if one thinks for growth of india..i guess he would be the leader who takes on to improve the whole nation "A Leader" in world front..i felt nice to read it..
Cheers VIC..dude ru an aspirant for MBA aur have alredy done it..

Ok, I could see that some folks atleast have viewed this thread, so i am putting down a few things about a DBA/PhD in Business Administration.

1) I know a lot of folks are keen on doing an MBA, with very few actually knowing exactly why they want to do it. However, there may be some of you who have felt over the course of a couple of years work in the corporate sector, that the corporate life of planning, deadlines, executions and schedules is not exactly what turns you on, and you cant see yourself regimented in the race say 5 - 10 years down the line, you need to do some introspection on what exactly woukd suit your learning/working/execution style. Some of you may venture into the not-for-profit sector, some into the social sciences (though management itself is a social science) and some into entrepreneurship.

I am not saying that the private sector is bad. You just have to do an honest assessment of yourself at this stage to figure out where you would be most effective and where you could make the most difference, rather than letting your intrinsic talents go waste.

During this reflection, if you feel that you are a person who is more interested in concepts and ideas and theorizing new strategies and innovations in the study of management/business, or have a passion for teaching and carrying out research, then a doctorate in business administration could be your calling. Evaluate yourself @ HBS Doctoral Programs: Setting Your Own Agenda or take an MBTI test!

2) One of the good things about doing a PhD/DBA is that your entire tuition/study material etc is 100% funded! Not only that, you also get a yearly stipend of around $23,000 if you are studying in a good B-School in the US, or 10 - 15k per month if you do it in India. This is exclusive of some teaching allowances that you can earn during the study. Alos, the university funds a large part of your international trips for paper presentations. seminars etc. Not a bad deal, I would say.

3) Once you complete your degree, there is no hard and fast rule that you have to stay on in the field of academia. If its research and its practical applications that interests you, you can very easily land up a handsome job in the corporate sector (read Google, all you IT folks!) or in the government (policy research etc). Thats because in the first 2 years, the course work that you will be doing would be more or less same as that of a 2 years MBA.

4) Well a dampener could be the fact that it takes on an average 4-5 years to complete your doctorate. So high academic accomplishments, commitment and focus are the keys.

5) The acceptance levels are comparably as low as that of an MBA degree, if not lower. One of the top institutes admitted only 21 candidates out of an application pool of 700. But yes, the competition is less compared to an MBA degree (in terms of demographics).

6) If you aspire to be a part of the technocratic revolution of India or are committed to solving the worlds most challenging problems in business, economics or even society, a career in academia/research would keep you focussed in that goal. Who knows - you could be the country's next Nobel laureate! :smile:

7) Some famous Indians from the world of business academia/research - 1) Sumantra Ghoshal , C.K. Prahalad

I hope some of you will be interested!

Regards,
Vic

Dude.. Thanks a lot for your information. I am an MBA holder already. I want to do Doctorate in Business Administration in the US (or DBA online). Suggest to me good universities for applying along with info on how to apply for scholarships. Thanks a lot dude.

I am too interested in a research based career....
What criteria is followed by different US Universities.....for admission into their doctorate programs.....
Further, I am also aware of the researcher programme of ISB, after which one proceeds into the phd program of top US universities.....afterall working in a research centre(Centre for Analytical Finance @ ISB) also broadens your outlook to great heights.......What's your say????

Hi,

i have been going through couple of programs enlisted among the top b-schools in the world.

LBS, Harvard, Wharton, Stanford,INSEAD and the list goes on.

There are few universities among the top 5 providing DBAPhd whereas the other ones like wharton and insead go with a phd in management.

So, it all depends on what you really want to go for DBA/Phd.

1st Criteria: All you need is a good (700) GMAT score.
2nd Criteria: MBA/ work experience (minimum 3 years - preferred)

Online option for phd/dba no ways.

Hi all!!

I'm currently a final-yr MBA student and wish to take-up a Doctor of Business Administration course from a US University.

I have the following queries:

1. What are the job opportunities for anybody who takes up this course/degree
  2. I have absolutely no work ex. Is that going to hamper my chances of getting into a good school?
  3. Are there any good DBA courses available in India?

Regards

Pooja Singh

Hi Pooja,

*- you dont need a job while pursuing your phd/dba, since you would be provided with a monthly stipend which varies accor. to the university, tution fees are waived off.
*- Work Ex criteria depends from one university to another, if you dont have one, need to fill that with good academics
*-In india DBA courses are termed as FPM, there are gud no.of institutes like IIMs, XLRI, XIMB,...

* Applies to India and US

Hope this solves ur queries.

@kunal

I'm also interested in doing research in the field of marketing. This year I will get into an mba program. But the problem for me is my btech % is very low. only 60. will it hinder my chances o getting into good colleges in US for phd?? I'm sure i can score good marks in mba.. But will the undergraduate score makes a problem.

Please reply with necessary solutions if any!!

Thanks,
Vishnu

Hi Vishnu,

thr r lot of factors taken into consideration before an admission, academics is just a part of it not the entire thing. since now u r about to pursue ur mba, i would rather suggest u to concentrate hard on it and come out with flying colours.

hope this solves ur query

Hi all!!

I'm currently a final-yr MBA student and wish to take-up a Doctor of Business Administration course from a US University.

I have the following queries:

1. What are the job opportunities for anybody who takes up this course/degree
  2. I have absolutely no work ex. Is that going to hamper my chances of getting into a good school?
  3. Are there any good DBA courses available in India?

Regards

Pooja Singh

could you enlighten me with the job opportunities for dba??

refer to the thread FPM2011.

I am right now a PGDM-I student in one of the IIT-B Schools which are not get counted among the top tyres like the IIMs. But We do have a very sharp reputation in the operations managemnt sector (third actually after IIM C and NITIE). I am planning to get my DBA done after this in Strategy and Operations (if possible). Can anyone please suggsest me wht are the Universities I should apply where I may have some decent chances to get a sit. I am ruling out HBS or INSEAD or for that matter any one of the top 6-7 institutes as I am kind of sure that they dont take anyone beyond the IIMs.
Please have a look at my profile and let me know wht are my chances and in whch universities..
BE Mech From NIT Durgapur
Work Ex 3 Yrs in a Medical Device manufacturing house (JnJ Sister organisation)
MBA from IIT (Operations major)
Sumeer Internship at EnY
Working to publish a paper .
Can get reco from World Class reputation-wala IIT Prof.

Please throw some light here on.

Hi,

thr r lot of factors taken into consideration before an admission in any foreign university.
For tht matter, let me tel u smthng tht is astonishing, IIM degrees are not valid in US, its a fact.
secondly, for a phd/dba in foreign university u dont need a MBA( its prefrrd, nt compulsory)
thirdly, unlike in indian management institutes GMAT or academics are not the standalone criteria for ur admission, thr r other factors too like ESSAY (most important), work exp whc u hv, projects, extra cirricular activities( stanford gives the highest importance to this criteria), recommendation letters, etc.
All this factors are added up to judge your admission in to thr B School. and 1 more thing esaay carries the maximum weightage among other selection criterias. in short your essay can take u thru or throw you out, so be very careful while submitting it.

Hope this solves your query

hey kunal,

I want to pursue mba with Phd, i have heard there are lot many schools abroad that have come up with this course(4 years),could you please throw some light on the same,their admission criteria and how good they are.also which colleges in India offer this new course other than the IIMs.my background is iam a engg(2009 passout) with 1 year of experience and above average acads but have a break of 11 months due to personal reasons,will that be a constraint?..thanks in advance.

Which Indian institutes other than IIMs offer PhD/FPM in Management?

hi..evryone

I wil be appearin fr GMAT nxt mnth...im intrested in pursuin Phd in SCM/Operations in USA....does anyone hv info regardin the best colleges fr SCM/operations?...or any1 who is pursuin Phd in operations/SCM n post his/her experience?

I too am interested in applying to PhD programs. Any success stories here? Where do people from IIM/XLRI/ISB/FMS etc wanting to pursue a PhD join? What type of courses should one take in his/her MBA/Masters in order to be competitive for a PhD in Management?

For people who are interested you can look at 'Urch Forums' (PhD in Business) to get an idea. Any more information regarding PhD admissions is most welcome here!

Best of luck!

@Vic

Ok, I could see that some folks atleast have viewed this thread, so i am putting down a few things about a DBA/PhD in Business Administration. 1) I know a lot of folks are keen on doing an MBA, with very few actually knowing exactly why they want to do it. However, there may be some of you who have felt over the course of a couple of years work in the corporate sector, that the corporate life of planning, deadlines, executions and schedules is not exactly what turns you on, and you cant see yourself regimented in the race say 5 - 10 years down the line, you need to do some introspection on what exactly woukd suit your learning/working/execution style. Some of you may venture into the not-for-profit sector, some into the social sciences (though management itself is a social science) and some into entrepreneurship. I am not saying that the private sector is bad. You just have to do an honest assessment of yourself at this stage to figure out where you would be most effective and where you could make the most difference, rather than letting your intrinsic talents go waste. During this reflection, if you feel that you are a person who is more interested in concepts and ideas and theorizing new strategies and innovations in the study of management/business, or have a passion for teaching and carrying out research, then a doctorate in business administration could be your calling. Evaluate yourself @ HBS Doctoral Programs: Setting Your Own Agenda or take an MBTI test! 2) One of the good things about doing a PhD/DBA is that your entire tuition/study material etc is 100% funded! Not only that, you also get a yearly stipend of around $23,000 if you are studying in a good B-School in the US, or 10 - 15k per month if you do it in India. This is exclusive of some teaching allowances that you can earn during the study. Alos, the university funds a large part of your international trips for paper presentations. seminars etc. Not a bad deal, I would say. 3) Once you complete your degree, there is no hard and fast rule that you have to stay on in the field of academia. If its research and its practical applications that interests you, you can very easily land up a handsome job in the corporate sector (read Google, all you IT folks!) or in the government (policy research etc). Thats because in the first 2 years, the course work that you will be doing would be more or less same as that of a 2 years MBA. 4) Well a dampener could be the fact that it takes on an average 4-5 years to complete your doctorate. So high academic accomplishments, commitment and focus are the keys. 5) The acceptance levels are comparably as low as that of an MBA degree, if not lower. One of the top institutes admitted only 21 candidates out of an application pool of 700. But yes, the competition is less compared to an MBA degree (in terms of demographics). 6) If you aspire to be a part of the technocratic revolution of India or are committed to solving the worlds most challenging problems in business, economics or even society, a career in academia/research would keep you focussed in that goal. Who knows - you could be the country's next Nobel laureate! :smile: 7) Some famous Indians from the world of business academia/research - 1) Sumantra Ghoshal , C.K. Prahalad I hope some of you will be interested! Regards,Vic

Hi Vic,

Could you guide me on what does it take to get in PhD/DBA in top universities?