Darden Applicants in 2009

Hi All, I did not see any thread for Darden, so starting this: My stats: Desi Electrical engineer, Top college not IIT, 2006 batch 38 months at matriculation Share your stats here! Regards d2e

Hi All,

I did not see any thread for Darden, so starting this:

My stats:

Desi Electrical engineer, Top college not IIT, 2006 batch
38 months at matriculation

Share your stats here!

Regards
d2e

Hi D2E,
count me in for darden. I am planning to apply in R1.

My Stats
========
GMAT: 710 (Q: 48, V: 40)
Work experience: 3.3 years in IT till date.
Undergrad: BITS-PILANI (2005 pass out) with 8.2/10 CGPA
Extra curriculars and community exp: Strong

Wishing you luck in this MBA application journey

Darden in R1 for me too!!

My Stats
======== ======== ======== ======== ========
GMAT: 770 (Q51, V44) AWA 5.0
Work experience: 4 years at matriculation
Undergrad: BTech(CSE) from NIT (Top 10%)

Darden seems to be one of the most selective schools.. This is wat I've got to know from people who had apped last year.. :(

Can we get some Darden admit from PG here for some gyan??

Hey,

I am also planning to apply to Darden, but dunno how'r my chances with a score of 680.
-------------------------------------
GMAT: 680 ( Q-50, V-32, AWA-5 )
Work Ex. 5 yrs till date
Undergrad: B. Tech, IIT
Sex: F
quizophobic wht do u mean by darden is selective ?

Darden in R1 for me too!!

My Stats
GMAT: 770 (Q51, V44) AWA 5.0
Work experience: 4 years at matriculation
Undergrad: BTech(CSE) from NIT (Top 10%)

Darden seems to be one of the most selective schools.. This is wat I've got to know from people who had apped last year.. :(

Can we get some Darden admit from PG here for some gyan??

Nice to see traction on this thread !

So what are your reasons for apping to Uva ?

Consulting? General Management? or Brand ?
or simply as a hedge against failure from other top colleges ?

In my case - all ! 😃

680 is not bad should you be able to cover up in your essays. Darden loves IIT, and that is a big plus. Can you share some more info and then I can suggest further -

Did some research on Darden - including talking to students and alums - would be glad to help you out .. this for all others too..

Feel free to ping !

Cheers,
d2e

Hey,

I am also planning to apply to Darden, but dunno how'r my chances with a score of 680.
GMAT: 680 ( Q-50, V-32, AWA-5 )
Work Ex. 5 yrs till date
Undergrad: B. Tech, IIT
Sex: F

snip.........

Hey guys..

Id be apping to Darden too... good school from all that I get to hear. The biggest thing that sets it apart is rock solid ethics.

I'm very new here, n here's my question:
how badly do one's grades in undergrad affect one's app? I'm from a top (non-IIT) univ but i really screwed up my grades real bad.
Other stats: 710/5.5, IT background (gonna b)5yrs exp.

ur views on how to offset this gaping chink in my otherwise shining armor??

If you feel that you can increase the GMAT by retaking it, go ahead and retake it.
Having said that, I'd like to tell you that I've personally met two gals both Darden admits last year, having scores 680 and 690 with work-ex 3 years each and non-IIT undergrad..
So may be if u can be good with essay, u'll be through too!!

I didn't mean selectivity in the sense it's used with Stan and Yale.. It's only that I've not seen any of my friends (and net-friends) getting calls from Darden last yr.. This includes one of my friends who converted Tepper, Duke and Wharton later. But Darden didnt even shortlist him for interview!! :boat:

HI All

I am Saahas and even i plan to apply in R1.

My stats:

GMAT Score: 710
Q50/V35 AWA 4.5
exp. 3.5 yrs in power sector
Engineering from PEC, Chd in Mech.

I wish all of you luck in writing those magical essays.

Hi Morningstar, I too have this concern about undergrad grades. I wrote to Darden about it and here's the reply I received:
--------------
You are certainly eligible but your GPA does put you at a disadvantage, which you already knew. Without seeing the entire application, I could not say what your chances are and would not want to comment on that. But there is no problem with the eligibility. If there were extenuating circumstances which would further explain the GPA by all means provide them to us in the optional essay section. In the overall picture, we are far more interested in what kind of student you would make today and what kind of alumnus in the future than in your undergraduate average. Having said that, we obviously want the strongest candidates, including numbers, that we can find and attract.
------------------
Its bit disappointing, but it seems they are after numbers..whether its gpa or gmat. whats ur opinion morningstar? where else are u applying? After reading this mail, I am considering going to an MBA consultant for deciding schools.

Hey guys..

Id be apping to Darden too... good school from all that I get to hear. The biggest thing that sets it apart is rock solid ethics.

I'm very new here, n here's my question:
how badly do one's grades in undergrad affect one's app? I'm from a top (non-IIT) univ but i really screwed up my grades real bad.
Other stats: 710/5.5, IT background (gonna b)5yrs exp.

ur views on how to offset this gaping chink in my otherwise shining armor??

Hi Quizophobic,

Thanks. I know 680/690 can sail one thru, specially females. But I screwed my undergrad gpa, and it seems adcom is quite passionate abt no.s :sarcasm:.

and I took my gmat in Aug'08 only, I am not sure if i'll be able to increase my verbal score even if i retake GMAt. I need to start researchin on schools which donot focus so much on undergrad gpa.

Target-09

If you feel that you can increase the GMAT by retaking it, go ahead and retake it.
Having said that, I'd like to tell you that I've personally met two gals both Darden admits last year, having scores 680 and 690 with work-ex 3 years each and non-IIT undergrad..
So may be if u can be good with essay, u'll be through too!!

I didn't mean selectivity in the sense it's used with Stan and Yale.. It's only that I've not seen any of my friends (and net-friends) getting calls from Darden last yr.. This includes one of my friends who converted Tepper, Duke and Wharton later. But Darden didnt even shortlist him for interview!! :boat:

Hi All

I'm also applying to Darden for '09.

I am an IT Male. 4 yrs of work ex at matriculation (hopefully, 2 yrs of which would be international).

GMAT: 730

Darden is my top choice. Looks like it is going to be tough though! 😞

Folks,
Can you see the application yet? When I log in, it is just asking me to register for some program. I don't see an application. :(

Is it the same for everybody or am I doing something wrong?

Folks,
Can you see the application yet? When I log in, it is just asking me to register for some program. I don't see an application. :(

Is it the same for everybody or am I doing something wrong?

The application is out now....
I am also targetting Darden R1. However, I am a little apprehensive about the case method....
All the best with your apps...
The application is out now....
I am also targetting Darden R1. However, I am a little apprehensive about the case method....
All the best with your apps...

lakshmiraj,
when I log in I am being asked to register for a particular program. I have done that already and am not able to go beyond that.

I use firefox/chrome. Am I doing something wrong. Have also mailed the Darden tech support, but no response yet.
Hi Morningstar, I too have this concern about undergrad grades. I wrote to Darden about it and here's the reply I received:
--------------
You are certainly eligible but your GPA does put you at a disadvantage, which you already knew. Without seeing the entire application, I could not say what your chances are and would not want to comment on that. But there is no problem with the eligibility. If there were extenuating circumstances which would further explain the GPA by all means provide them to us in the optional essay section. In the overall picture, we are far more interested in what kind of student you would make today and what kind of alumnus in the future than in your undergraduate average. Having said that, we obviously want the strongest candidates, including numbers, that we can find and attract.
------------------
Its bit disappointing, but it seems they are after numbers..whether its gpa or gmat. whats ur opinion morningstar? where else are u applying? After reading this mail, I am considering going to an MBA consultant for deciding schools.

Yes, target-09 thanks for sharing that. It does not sound encouraging at all 😞 And that is the sort of reply that I would expect from any top b-school. The way I see it, no school wants to take a chance with an applicant with a smudge on his/her CV.... unless you give them a really compelling reason to do so!
So i'd say all is not lost. The past cannot be undone, but the future can certainly be made brighter with an extraordinary effort!

All this comes straight from the heart, while the head takes a nap 😃

Hey Guys,

I'll be submitting my application to Darden tomorrow. I wish everyone here the very best. My profile:

GMAT: 710
GPA: Very strong; from one of the top private colleges in the country.
Work-ex: 38 months at matriculation.
Extra-curriculars and community services: Very strong

Cheers!

lakshmiraj,
when I log in I am being asked to register for a particular program. I have done that already and am not able to go beyond that.

I use firefox/chrome. Am I doing something wrong. Have also mailed the Darden tech support, but no response yet.

You may have had this problem resolved already but just in case you need help....Once you register for a program, the Application Action column will have a View Application link for that program. Click on it and you will have access to your application.

HTH