CUHK Vs Simon, Rochester

Greetings Puys…I have a strange quandry at my hands:shocked:…I have an admit from CUHK & the Simon School of Business for the Fall 2010 intake with quite similar scholarships from both schools and am unable to make up my mind (henc…

Greetings Puys..........I have a strange quandry at my hands:shocked:........I have an admit from CUHK & the Simon School of Business for the Fall 2010 intake with quite similar scholarships from both schools and am unable to make up my mind (hence my id )

My confusion is elaborated as below

Program reputation
I have spoken to rather senior people & they have fantastic feedback on the CUHK degree, not to mention that it has featured at a credible 27 in its debut year in FT.

While everything I have read online about the Simon & from discussions I have had with prospective/current/past students, I understand that it enjoys a prestigious reputation in US as far as B-Schools go.

Obviously its possible to move to Asia Pacific for employment after graduating in the US, while the reverse is extremely rare.

Scholarship/Financials
Translates in to more or less the same.

Locational Advantage:
Obviously HK has a huge advantage over upstate NY, Rochester in terms of latent employment opportunities given the current economic conditions. Of course 2012 is an educated guess at worse.

Misc
Also it is impossible to land good roles in Mainland China without adequate knowledge of Cantonese/Mandarin (something even CUHK Career Services Team accepts :wow:), but still there are opportunities within HK which is largely bi lingual.

I wanted to know from fellow Puys their take on the above & their rationale for the same. Would appreciate a quick revert guys, the anxiety is killing!!

Cheers!!

A little about me

GMAT: 700
Work Exp: Almost 4 years now (pretty good, MNC financial services firm now)
Domain: Marketing/Finance
Area of Interest: Marketing/Finance
Acads: Engineer (Average)
Extra Currics: Strong, some CSR & leadership roles

A little about me

GMAT: 700
Work Exp: Almost 4 years now (pretty good, MNC financial services firm now)
Domain: Marketing/Finance
Area of Interest: Marketing/Finance
Acads: Engineer (Average)
Extra Currics: Strong, some CSR & leadership roles

hi,

I have a similar siuation. I've got an admit from CUHK and Weatherhead School of Management. I believe, in the current scenario HK is a safer bet than US cos you never know wha type of policy changes come in the next 2 yrs. Alslo getting a sponsor for any job is not very easy in the current times in US.
It also depends on the where you want to work after an MBA. Like you said if u do an MBA from CUHK the south eastern markets (or the emerging markets)would be open for you- HK,China,S'poe or even India. Whereas a Simon degree can help you find a job in US. Though knowing Mandrin is an added advantage if u r in HK its not a must if you are not doing Consulting.

PS: All these are my perceptions. do consider others view points
Thanks Vatsup.....I have given the Asian Vs US Schools argument a long hard look too. The inherent factor I see in favour of Asian Schools is of course ROI, placement comfort & etc. But the biggest drawback I see against them too is lack of diversity - profile & background (which is true for CUHK too) & the lack of wider recognition. See, like I said, you can get a good MBA from an American school & work in the Asia Pac region but the reverse is not possible (largely). So the question I am still trying to answer is if a CUHK MBA will curb my wider chances?

Agree that the next 2 years are unpredictable from a macro economical point of view, but then again on the upside we are already at what is widely perceived to be the toughest point in American employment, so we can pray really hard for things to get better

As far as the language barrier is concerned that is a major trouble which both CUHK itself & past students have agreed to. Employment in China is a no go especially for marketing :banghead: (not sure about consulting) if one is non conversant in Cantonese / Mandarin. HK admittedly is still bi lingual, but chances even there are reduced.

P.S. The above are my two bits on this, do lemme know what you think. The anxiety is killing !