Cracked the GMAT!!! 770 (Q-50, V-46)

Hi all, i used to visit PG forums a long time ago (almost 2 years ago) when I first thought of giving the GMAT. Unfortunately I forgot my user ID :: but anyway I want to share the good news with everyone!! Very very happy now… I almost can…

Hi all, i used to visit PG forums a long time ago (almost 2 years ago) when I first thought of giving the GMAT. Unfortunately I forgot my user ID but anyway I want to share the good news with everyone!!

Very very happy now.. I almost can't concentrate on anything else.

I appeared for the GMAT in mumbai. Pumped my fists after seeing the score and made sure everyone around me knew my score.. hehehe..j/k.

Best of all is that this score is higher than all my practice test scores! I could have got 51 in Q but I only had around 1 minute remaining to solve the final two questions and ended up guessing both. I think I got the penultimate answer wrong. I don't care about that now.

Here are my scores in practice exams:
Kap I -680
Kap II - 690
Manhattan - 750
Kap III - 680
GMAT Pre 1 - 750
GMAT Prep 2 - 760 (1 day before exam)

I was confident of 700+ but definitely 770 was even a shock for me! That said, I think GMAT Prep tests are an accurate indicator of your actual preparedness for the test. Another colleague got 730 on GPreps and 720 in the actual exam. My total preparation time from the time I first started preparing seriously was 4 months - 3 months for working through SCs, AWAs etc. and the last month for revising math concepts.

The biggest tip that I can give to anyone is that do not gather dozens of books to study. Get two or three good books and go through them completely. Reading too many different books will distract you from the ultimate goal.

VERY big thanks to all the PGites in this forum for posting lots of tips and info which definitely helped in my preparation. Everyone on this forum definitely had a role to play in this success!

Was planning to give CAT this year but now I don't think that is necessary now.

Now moving to the other forum to research info on potential Bschools.

Let me know if anyone needs any help on quant or verbal. I would be more than happy to help. :)

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats man!!

Hi all, i used to visit PG forums a long time ago (almost 2 years ago) when I first thought of giving the GMAT. Unfortunately I forgot my user ID but anyway I want to share the good news with everyone!!

I appeared for the GMAT in mumbai. Pumped my fists after seeing the score and made sure everyone around me knew my score.. hehehe..j/k.

Best of all is that this score is higher than all my practice test scores! I could have got 51 in Q but I only had around 1 minute remaining to solve the final two questions and ended up guessing both. I think I got the penultimate answer wrong. I don't care about that now.

Kap I -680
Kap II 690
Manhattan 750
Kap III 680
GMAT Pre 1 750
GMAT Prep 2 760 (1 day before exam)

I was confident of 700+ but definitely 770 was even a shock for me! That said, I think GMAT Prep tests are an accurate indicator of your actual preparedness for the test. Another colleague got 730 on GPreps and 720 in the actual exam. My total preparation time from the time I first started preparing seriously was 4 months - 3 months for working through SCs, AWAs etc. and the last month for revising math concepts.

The biggest tip that I can give to anyone is that do not gather dozens of books to study. Get two or three good books and go through them completely. Reading too many different books will distract you from the ultimate goal.

VERY big thanks to all the PGites in this forum for posting lots of tips and info which definitely helped in my preparation. Everyone on this forum definitely had a role to play in this success!

Let me know if anyone needs any help on quant or verbal. I would be more than happy to help. :)

Good luck to everyone!

HI

Can you please provide some gyaan on RC ... i"m having hard time in RC.

thats inspiring dude!! congratsss!!!

Congratulations! way to go! I guess a 51,46 split might have had you at 780 😃 just guessing....

Hi YunBeeYay,

Congrats buddy for nailing it!
Very inspiring and thought provoking.
Moreover a big thank You for your small tip !
Good Luck for application process.
Can you share your profile too.

Thanks in advance !

Cheers !
:cheerio:

Kap I -680
Kap II - 690
Manhattan - 750
Kap III - 680
GMAT Pre 1 - 750
GMAT Prep 2 - 760 (1 day before exam)

Good luck to everyone!

Congos dude.. Thats one hell of a score !!!!

I was confident of 700+ but definitely 770 was even a shock for me!

Now, you are being modest.. given ur scores in practice exams, 750+ was always on the radar..

besties for the apping process :thumbsup:

Kap I -680
Kap II 690
Manhattan 750
Kap III 680
GMAT Pre 1 750

Good luck to everyone!

CONGRATS!!! buddy

This is superb.:thumbsup:

Congrats YumBeeYay! That's a cracker of a score!

Where are you app-ing to?

whoow 770 thats awesome man
way to go:thumbsup:

HI

Can you please provide some gyaan on RC ... i"m having hard time in RC.

Read through the manhattan book, its not too difficult to get the basics in place. Once you have mastered that book, open up Kaplan and solve the RCs in there.
Word of advice - since you seem to have identified RC as your weakest link, attack that component of verbal every single day. Based on my conversations with study partners and ex-gmat test takers, a lot of people shy away from working hard toward fortifying their weakest bit and concentrate their efforts on fortifying the sections in which they are already quite good. Chart out a plan to work on RCs until you are comfortable and stop everything else until then. You dont want to proceed ahead in a haphazard manner.

adabass Says
Congratulations! way to go! I guess a 51,46 split might have had you at 780 😃 just guessing....

Maybe, maybe not.. who cares now? :D

Hi YunBeeYay,

Congrats buddy for nailing it!
Very inspiring and thought provoking.
Moreover a big thank You for your small tip !
Good Luck for application process.
Can you share your profile too.

Thanks in advance !

Cheers !
:cheerio:

26/M/4 years work exp in bus dev at online startups

Congrats YumBeeYay! That's a cracker of a score!

Where are you app-ing to?

I have only ISB on my list at the moment and am researching info on 1 year programs in Europe. 2 year programs in the US carry a lot of uncertainty and risk at the moment.
That said, I am always open to suggestions and advice. 😃

Congrats man!!! thats simply awesome..

appreciate if you could tell us about the books and other resources (that you used), apart from the tests you mentioned..

best of luck for ISB 😃

Way to go dude/girl!

With your unique work exp and this cracking score, you're surely on the path toward ISB.

?hey congrats for your wonderful score.
dude can you please guide me regarding sentence correction.. I struggle a lot with them... how should i plan to study basics of SC...??? should i straight away start with Manhattan SC or go thru OG.. please help
Thanks and All The Best

hey yumbee....your story is freakishly same as mine...gmat after 2 yrs of coming to PG....same score of 770 (but split is M51 V45)...and only ISB on the list ;))...even i am looking for 1 year program but not very sure about europe...i would really really prefer US as i have been working here for about 2 yrs now and i am confortable with this place now....anyways i heard there are not many 1 yr courses in US and the ones that are available have incredible pre-requisites...well lets see..

keep me posted on your research too... congrats again and best of luck in your next step...

kudos to you for the stellar score.......!

can you please brief on how to prepare for SC...and books to be referred please??

thnx in advance!!

Kap I -680
Kap II 690
Manhattan 750
Kap III 680
GMAT Pre 1 750

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats dude..
Could you post more info about the actual test and kinda questions you got, in both maths and verbal..

Specifically speaking:
What was the difficulty level like in the Maths section?
The quantum of DS questions in the section? And whether the DS choices were too ambiguous in nature?
Was the difficulty level inline with what you expected, or tougher/easier?

Verbal section:
Were the questions at par with the GMATprep and OG questions?
Number of RC's?

too many questions: I know.. But the only reason i ask is 'cos a lot of students who have taken up the GMAT in the last 2-3 mnths have been reporting higher difficulty levels in the Maths section, esp wrt to DS. The OG maths questions are as good as crap. just wanted to gather your thoughts on this..

Thanks & Congrats once again 😃