Cornell or Darden

Folks, I’ve been fortunate enough to receive offers from Darden and Cornell. What’s the feeling of each school within the Indian community. FYI, I’m Indian and would like to return to India within a few years. I’m considering an angle in…

Folks,

I've been fortunate enough to receive offers from Darden and Cornell. What's the feeling of each school within the Indian community. FYI, I'm Indian and would like to return to India within a few years.

I'm considering an angle in Financial Services, ie IB, PE, VC, or Corp Finance.

Thanks!

both are very good schools.

in my opinion its all about fit. In my opinion cornell has a much better program but considering your interests towards finance. darden would be more appropriate for you.

Cornell is regarding by many as a marketing school, with not sufficient expertise in finance.

good problem to have. i am facing a similar situation. best of luck with your decision.

Yash

Hey Yash,

Thanks for the post. I think Cornell was initially more of a marketing school, but in the last 4-5 years, a number of bulge bracket banks have been recruiting for banking. Both schools have a good finance program with recruting to match...but is Darden or UVA really known in India?

What schools are you deciding between?

Thanks!

Hi..Desiguy..

I also have a similar problem (between schools in US and also between schools in India). I dont know if you are living in India or not, but the issue is not if Cornell or Darden is known in India, the issue is Johnson or Darden are known in India. And the answer to that question in the current HR context is No. But that is because HR in India does not have a global exposure to education systems. Which in my opinion is changing with Indian organisations recruiting from Foreign Schools and further foray of Indian Companies to foreign shores.

But if u were to compare Cornell V/s Univ. of Virginia, Cornell would be more known in India, and not because it is better but simply by the virtue of more Indians doing their MS in Cornell. One is a private Ivy (Cornell), the other a public ivy (UVA).

Second, put aside the notion i.e. which one is a finance school, marketing etc. Coz I have offers from both and have frds their, they are just great schools and irrespective of where you go, you will get placed in the field you want. Cornell is in Upstate New York (2 hours from their), UVA 1 hour from DC and 4 hours from New York. From both schools you will be placed in New York. The only advantage from UVA would be you also have an access to South, hence you can access recruiters in places like Atlanta and Orlando and all.

Now the decision you need to make is how you want to study, which school you would adjust quicker, and general gut feel (A thing MBA does not teach you but paramount in business hence trust it). For me, I am towards UVA coz I want the rigours of a case study and I like the outdoors which Virginia provides. Canada border is too cold for me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Saptarshi

Need to know a lot about your background in order to give advice. But at the top of my head, if you ask purely in terms of brand equity - it's Cornell all the way !! No question about it. I have heard of Darden only after I started my research on BSchools a couple of years ago.

Arun

Hey Saptarshi,

Thanks for your insights on both programs. I have been in the US since I was 5 and I currently live in NYC. From what I've heard about both schools, they are pretty much in the same 'tier' and people choose between the two based on fit and teaching methodology. I, myself, did not think I would have an issue with 100% case-study, but the more I think about it, I would rather have a good mix. Weather is not really a big issue as well because I have experienced the NE winters. As such, I have factored that out as well. At the moment, I am leaning towards Cornell because of the teaching method and because the program is not as time-consuming as Darden. The Cornell brand is also an important piece, which I think will have more weight that UVA, since it an Ivy.

In any case, I think both program as excellent. I do agree that the options will, more or less, be the same at either school. Ultimately, your own experience will be based upon what you make of it.

Unfortunately, both Admit weekends are from 4/7 to 4/9, so I will attend the Johnson one and make a final decision.

Thanks for you help!

Best,
-J-

Hi..Desiguy..

I also have a similar problem (between schools in US and also between schools in India). I dont know if you are living in India or not, but the issue is not if Cornell or Darden is known in India, the issue is Johnson or Darden are known in India. And the answer to that question in the current HR context is No. But that is because HR in India does not have a global exposure to education systems. Which in my opinion is changing with Indian organisations recruiting from Foreign Schools and further foray of Indian Companies to foreign shores.

But if u were to compare Cornell V/s Univ. of Virginia, Cornell would be more known in India, and not because it is better but simply by the virtue of more Indians doing their MS in Cornell. One is a private Ivy (Cornell), the other a public ivy (UVA).

Second, put aside the notion i.e. which one is a finance school, marketing etc. Coz I have offers from both and have frds their, they are just great schools and irrespective of where you go, you will get placed in the field you want. Cornell is in Upstate New York (2 hours from their), UVA 1 hour from DC and 4 hours from New York. From both schools you will be placed in New York. The only advantage from UVA would be you also have an access to South, hence you can access recruiters in places like Atlanta and Orlando and all.

Now the decision you need to make is how you want to study, which school you would adjust quicker, and general gut feel (A thing MBA does not teach you but paramount in business hence trust it). For me, I am towards UVA coz I want the rigours of a case study and I like the outdoors which Virginia provides. Canada border is too cold for me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Saptarshi

Hey Arun,

I have a CPA background and I am currently on the advisory side for a big 4 firm in NYC. I hope to move into banking after my MBA, even though the hours will be ridiculous. My LT goal is to move to buy-side in the Asian markets, preferably the Indian one. I've heard that the Cornell brand will open more doors than the UVA one, so I'm currently leaning towards that route.

Thanks for your thoughts, I really appreciate.

Best,
-J-

Need to know a lot about your background in order to give advice. But at the top of my head, if you ask purely in terms of brand equity - it's Cornell all the way !! No question about it. I have heard of Darden only after I started my research on BSchools a couple of years ago.

Arun

This thread is more competitive that I thought.
my views on the schools
Johnson:
Cons: 1) Did not care much about my enquries.
2) Does not have a decent brochure - my belief is that a brochure goes a long way in comforting people who are looking for at a school for the first time
3) hadn't really heard much on Johnson's consulting/IB recruiter's rush.
4) india is not really big on their radar - not much to count by way admin visits, marketing etc.
Pros: 1) Cornell does hav a much better recall value in India
2) One could collaborate with the their famous engineering school
3) closer to NYC

Darden:
Cons: 1) almost nil brand value in India
2) much out of the city (this point is subjective though)
3) not much research going in the course (again subjective) although Dean bruner told me that he is currently out to make sure things change for the better
Pros: 1) IB is good over there. it may not bring much recall value in Asian financial markets but it is known for its hard yet excellent finance courses
2) is focussing on India quite sharply (as was evident in their representations in the MBA fair and the Dean's reception) - this could turn out to be gud for prospective students
3) Virginia weather ;-)
4) very very collaborative alumni and classmates - almost a cult (second only to tuck and we all know how freakily close tuckies are)

open to debate

Cheers

Kunal

Hi..

You are welcome. I guess as I said its like choosing between right and left hand, whichever you are more comfortable with, and want more. Just trust your gut. (Something, never stressed in a big 4, I am also working in one)

Cheers

Saptarshi

I've seen quite a few discussions here an on the BW board on the brand value of a school in India. Assuming that you are going to work for atleast a couple of years post MBA, what value would you attach to the business school?

Admittedly, the H/S/W are in a league of their own but after you start working I think your work experience, profile and performance would count for more than the school.

If the argument is that :

In India, x + MBA Cornell > x + MBA Darden because more people (read: laypersons)know Cornell than Darden then their is little weight in the argument.
Whatever the position you are planning to target in India, chances are the people that matter are well aware of the top schools. It comes down to what you bring to the table more than where you got it from.

I hadnt heard of Darden before my bschool research too. I have a few friends in the engg side but as a business school UVa was a non-entity. But the school surfaced time and again in 'good bschool' enquiries.

I think fit with the culture and teaching style, career ops etc are more important parameters.

I've seen quite a few discussions here an on the BW board on the brand value of a school in India. Assuming that you are going to work for atleast a couple of years post MBA, what value would you attach to the business school?

Admittedly, the H/S/W are in a league of their own but after you start working I think your work experience, profile and performance would count for more than the school.

If the argument is that :

In India, x + MBA Cornell > x + MBA Darden because more people (read: laypersons)know Cornell than Darden then their is little weight in the argument.
Whatever the position you are planning to target in India, chances are the people that matter are well aware of the top schools. It comes down to what you bring to the table more than where you got it from.

I hadnt heard of Darden before my bschool research too. I have a few friends in the engg side but as a business school UVa was a non-entity. But the school surfaced time and again in 'good bschool' enquiries.

I think fit with the culture and teaching style, career ops etc are more important parameters.

agreed .
the people in the business know about darden even if we wudn't