Core and Elective course numbers...

Couldn’t find an existing thread related to my doubt, so starting a new one. I’ve observed that the core and elective courses in most of the US B Schools are identified (or prolly graded according to whether it is a basic or an advanced cours…

Couldn't find an existing thread related to my doubt, so starting a new one.

I've observed that the core and elective courses in most of the US B Schools are identified (or prolly graded according to whether it is a basic or an advanced course) by a three digit number, between 400 and 999.

Check the links for examples...

Johnson - Johnson School at Cornell University - Current Students - Registration - Course Roster Spring 2008
Kellog - Course Catalog & Schedules, Kellogg School of Management
Wharton - Course Index: MBA Resource Guide - The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania

My doubt is, do the numbers reflect the actual level of course? Are these numbers or codes same across universities, or they're relevant only to a single university? Is a 800 level strategy course in Univ A more advanced than a 500 level strategy course in Univ B?

Thnx...

Kris,

Its pretty much a standard format in universities. General nomanclature is that 1xx is for first yearof bacherlors,2xx for second year and so on.. If you go for an MBA you are no supposed to take anything below 500 unless you need to do a pre-requisites.

Anything above 500 is a post graduate course. Typically 5xx courses are offered thru out the year. anything above >600 are generally offered depending on professors availability. To finish your MBA, you need to take defined minimum set of core courses and electives to meet no.of credits.
(This info. might have exceptions, but typically system works like this). No, you can not compare courses from Univ.s as they are designed by profs. but general understanding is that 5xx at A is on par with 5xx at B).

hope that helps.
-b