Confusion and career switching

Hi to all the ppl out there,I am working in the IT industry and have dreams of making it to one of the top BSchools. I am attaching my profile below and look forward to views from all the ppl out there. Acads B.Tech from IIT Kanpur, Me…

Hi to all the ppl out there,I am working in the IT industry and have dreams of making it to one of the top BSchools.
I am attaching my profile below and look forward to views from all the ppl out there.

Acads
B.Tech from IIT Kanpur, Mech Engineer, CGPA of 8.45
Have got scholarships from CMU,Texas,Florida universities for MS and PhD .
Job
Close to 6 years of exprience in IT industry, currently working as a Lead. Work involves technical know-how, interacting with Business, functional analysis.
International Exposure
I frequently travel to US and UK
Life outside work
Have been active in sports,used to play cricket at club level. I am also involved in the work of CRY
Career Goals
Over the past couple of months I am feeling the need to expand my horizon and get to know the business side of things. And I am looking at MBA for the same.Though I have been quite interested in Finance as I feel I have good analytical skills, I am not too sure whether its too late for me to switch careers ? Else I wld like to continue in my field of IT and build on that.
Plans
I am looking at giving GMAT next year, around April 2007 . I want to have a good GMAT score and want to do good amount of research for the schools and essays before applying, and I believe applying for 2007 wld be too hectic?
Questions
1. What are my chances of getting thru to one of the top 10 B-Schools ?
2. What shd be my ideal BSchool shortlist?
3. Is it too late for me to switch to Finance?
4. Is it too late to apply this year?
5. When I finally end up applying next year, I wld be having close to 7 years of IT experience, is that a positive or negative?
6. What are the chances of getting any financial aid/waivers/scholarships?
7. Any tips on the preparation for GMAT and applying to schools,preparing essays?

looking forward to hearing from all u ppl out there.
thanks

This is what a typical admissions consultant does and charges a good amount in dollars. Assessing whatever you have asked will take more information than you have provided and much more time than you probably thought :)

And yes, if you have very logical and convincing answers to all these questions, you are ready to apply at any school in US and I bet that you will get through in any of them.

But few suggestion; on the lines of what you have asked;
1. Devote 3-4 months on GMAT. Get a good score. It definitely helps.
2. Devote at least one month per school post GMAT before you apply.

Hi to all the ppl out there,I am working in the IT industry and have dreams of making it to one of the top BSchools.
I am attaching my profile below and look forward to views from all the ppl out there.

Prithviraj ,

Well you can search the forum and am usre there are threads to help you. You will find all these answers and more. :)
All the best.

prithviraj... basically I would like to mention that as long as u r clear about ur future plans and ur long term goals, US B-schools would be happy to help u with them (provided u can convince them of ur aptitude and capabilities, of course)... regarding ur work ex... 6 years is in fact a good amount of work ex. to go for an MBA and give your career that well needed boost towards management level positions...

so as already suggested, give ample time to ur GMAT prep, and dont rush thru it since GMAT score is the first indication of your seriousness towards the MBA, then look for the schools which match your profile, and as the cliche goes "choose the best fit for you"...

all the best

Thanks a lot guys for the inputs, I am getting started with my GMAT.

What is the minimum workex needed? I m a IITB grad, working with Bank of America, I m now working for 14 months.
Everyone has a different view and different theory about work exp.
I guess 6 years { as prithviraj mentioned} would be a too much for me.

Please let me know wht is the minimum workexp one requires to get into top 10 B schools.

Thanks
Regards
Vivek

hi guys,
i have done my graduation in IT so how do i explain the career switch in the interview in case the ask me? can anyone please help me out?

hi guys,
i have done my graduation in IT so how do i explain the career switch in the interview in case the ask me? can anyone please help me out?

There are a lot of people like you and me who graduate in IT/CS and end up doing an mba(after working for a few years/direct from college).So,the high percentage of people with a IT background in the top bschools itself suggests that the profs don't have any hangups about accepting people with a IT background.
About how you explain it to them,either you can explain your point of view,if you have a strong conviction about it,else these things are part of the usual gyan which you have to dole out at the PI stage(friends/seniors/coaching instis can help with ideas).But right now,it would be prudent to secure the GD/PI call to get to that stage.
What is the minimum workex needed? I m a IITB grad, working with Bank of America, I m now working for 14 months.
Everyone has a different view and different theory about work exp.
I guess 6 years { as prithviraj mentioned} would be a too much for me.

Please let me know wht is the minimum workexp one requires to get into top 10 B schools.

Thanks
Regards
Vivek

There is no bare minimum experience criteria for indian b schools.Though on the face of it,2 yrs should be enough to fetch you the required brownie points.

Hai, I have finished my post graduation and hoping to take GMAT, please let me the coaching centers for GMAT and what is the fees structure.