Concordia JMSB Fall 2010 applicants & admits

Hi, I would like all the applicants to this school to join this thread and update regarding the status of their application. I guess a major obstacle to studying in any school based in Quebec is the pre dominance of French language in th…

Hi,

I would like all the applicants to this school to join this thread and update regarding the status of their application.

I guess a major obstacle to studying in any school based in Quebec is the pre dominance of French language in the region. Hence, I wonder whether many international students will join this school.

hii..i've applied to this school for the full time mba program(fall 2010)..wanted to know if anyone else is applying???

Surprised Says
hii..i've applied to this school for the full time mba program(fall 2010)..wanted to know if anyone else is applying???

Did you get an update from the University?

Yup..I actually got an admit from that school..wanted to know if there's anybody else who got an admit..???

Surprised Says
Yup..I actually got an admit from that school..wanted to know if there's anybody else who got an admit..???

Well I applied one month back n got no response yet. Did you get any scholarship?

No..no scholarship was mentioned on their offer letter!

Hi,
Could you also share your profile?

I have also applied almost a month back but have not received any update.

Profile:
GMAT 680
VA: 31
QA: 50
AWA: 5
Workex: 3.5+ in fortune 10 comapny

Hi,
Could you also share your profile?

I have also applied almost a month back but have not received any update.

Profile:
GMAT 680
VA: 31
QA: 50
AWA: 5
Workex: 3.5+ in fortune 10 comapny

Hi...

You have a very good profile..mine is not that great..610 gmat and 1.5 yrs of wrk exp..But I guess i got thru becoz of my acads(70% in BE)..that is what they've stated as the basis of my admission in my offer letter..but anyways..you dont have to worry much..they usually take more than a month to reply..i too got a reply after 1 and a half month..so no worries..

Thank you. This certainly helps.

I have a decent 65% in BE...Hoping for the best.....Also, do they take any interview as part of the admission process. I have not heard of it....

No..they don't take any interviews...

Hi...
Its nice to see a post on paagalguy for JMSB... looks like its gaining popularity...
i got my admit 2 months back... also got into a few other schools in Canada...
However, even my concern is mainly that its a 70% french state...which will reduce our chances of networking and placements...
I have spoken to the alumni and they said its a really good course and has good oppurtunities...
Anyway i still havent decided completely... let me know if anyone has any +ve or -ve comments on the school...

Hi...
Its nice to see a post on paagalguy for JMSB... looks like its gaining popularity...
i got my admit 2 months back... also got into a few other schools in Canada...
However, even my concern is mainly that its a 70% french state...which will reduce our chances of networking and placements...
I have spoken to the alumni and they said its a really good course and has good oppurtunities...
Anyway i still havent decided completely... let me know if anyone has any +ve or -ve comments on the school...

The school has considerable reputation in Quebec. French language will be an impediment for us, I believe, as most firms would require candidates to bilingual. Anyways I am still waiting for an admit decision, its's been more than a month since I applied and no update yet. Did you get any scholarship?

No i dint get any scholarship...
Don worry u will get a reply soon, i got my admit after 2 months, they made me run around a lot for mark sheets etc...

One of the main reasons i m contemplating on taking JMSB is the french factor, lesser international students and no scholarship...
But the co-op option is really interesting and can be really helpful in securing connections and a job... and the option is open to all mba students...
Also Montreal and the surronding areas are the economic hubs, hence more job oppurtunities... so it is like a see-saw... :)
Which other unis have u applied to? any admits?

No i dint get any scholarship...
Don worry u will get a reply soon, i got my admit after 2 months, they made me run around a lot for mark sheets etc...

One of the main reasons i m contemplating on taking JMSB is the french factor, lesser international students and no scholarship...
But the co-op option is really interesting and can be really helpful in securing connections and a job... and the option is open to all mba students...
Also Montreal and the surronding areas are the economic hubs, hence more job oppurtunities... so it is like a see-saw... :)
Which other unis have u applied to? any admits?

You words were prophetic, I got the admit finally but an unconditional one asking me to provide a language translation of the Degree Certificate which is basically in English with a Hindi translation.
The school has good rep, good placements, great co-op program but French is such a limiting factor. Even if one tries to learn the language, it would probably be years before he can be proficient in it. So I don't know. No scholarships BTW.

I had applied to only 3, with admits from all of em:
Schulich, York
De Groote, McMaster
JMSB, Concordia;
n u?

hi i am planning to join some coaching , for my gmat preparation, but some coaching institutes are really boasting of their faculty that they have got 790 on gmat, but when they rae asked to show the score card they, dont show that , i wanna know , is that really authentic that their faculty is that much qualified.

Thats great, congrats... Schulich is a really good option...
I applied to 4, with admits to all:
Sauder, UBC
Concordia
SFU, Vancouver
Dalhousie, Coporate Residency Program

Mostly going to take sauder, got some scholarship as well...
My main limitation is finances, so not completely decided yet...

Which one u goin for?

For all those who are worried about the french language, I would like to bring to your notice that Canada is a bilingual country but our India is a multilingual country. I have stayed in Bangalore for 6 years and in Hyderabad for 2 years, but do not understand either kannada or telugu. I feel for professional success, the french language should not matter as long as your English is perfect. Just look around in your organization how many languages people speak around you. Hope this helps 😃

s_singh Says
For all those who are worried about the french language, I would like to bring to your notice that Canada is a bilingual country but our India is a multilingual country. I have stayed in Bangalore for 6 years and in Hyderabad for 2 years, but do not understand either kannada or telugu. I feel for professional success, the french language should not matter as long as your English is perfect. Just look around in your organization how many languages people speak around you. Hope this helps :-)

I admire your spirit but beg to differ from your opinion. Its true that Canada is bilingual, but Quebec, where Concordia is, has only one official language and that's French. 95% of inhabitants speak French as first or second language. To develop a network in this region will be more difficult as compared to other regions in Canada.
Although you have worked in Bangalore and Hyderabad without knowing the regional language, I am sure the official language at your work-place was English not Kannada or Telegu, otherwise you would have had to learn those languages or worse may not have even got those jobs.
Most businesses in Quebec would prefer bilingual employees and that could reduce our opportunities. Having said this, I would like to say that it is not impossible to succeed here as many Indians have and Montreal is a major business hub.

Hey All,

Even I have admit from Concordia. I checked abt funding, I was told that, once U start the program u will be considered for aid and funding. I have admits from Concordia & Alberta. Dont know which one to take up.

Spoke to few alumni from JMSB, they say Working knowledge of French is a great advantage, but its not going to be the "show stopper". also Toronto is close by which means more opportunities.

But request your inputs in making a decision btw Concordia & Alberta

Regards,