commerce grads vs engineering grads at b-schools

hey guys , i m sorry i m not a b-school student and i ve started a thread here but the thing is that i m really confused and i ve got a lotta doubts in my mind which can be cleared by b-school students like u.i ve just given my class X exams and i…

hey guys , i m sorry i m not a b-school student and i ve started a thread here but the thing is that i m really confused and i ve got a lotta doubts in my mind which can be cleared by b-school students like u.i ve just given my class X exams and in a few days my result will be out and i will b taking a stream. i wanna take commerce and pursue b.com or economics hons from delhi university and then go for a mba .but what every1 keeps tellin me is tht in the b-schools when the recruitment takes place the companies always prefer students with an engineering background over the students having a commerce background . this is one thing that is holding me back from pursuing my interest i.e commerce and kind of compelling me to take science so that i can pursue engineering which i m really not interested in coz i dun wanna face such a discrimination during the recruitment at the b-school. do students from commerce backgrounds not get good placements as compared to students from engineering background? what do the companies look for in an mba student while recruitment?is it not the students performance during his/her stint at the b-school or just the background matters? i could ve posted this newhere else but decided to post it here coz who would no bout such stuff better than than the b-school students themselves?please clearmy doubts as i m highly worried coz i dun wanna pursue something in future that i m not interested in.

nik ... why are you thinking about an mba so early in ur life ??

its tru engineers have an advantage due to being good in maths .. but eco and comm grads .. counter that with there being good in accounts and finance.

in the end .. it doesnot really matter ... whether u r a commerce guy or an enginner .. more important is the fact that how gud u do in ur graduation rather than what stream u graduated in.

Your performance will be rated .. and also academically it will help you pursue an mba more comfortably .. if u have ur basics right in the first place.

So I would suggest you to take up whatever stream that intersts you ... do well in that ... and then decide whether u really wanna do an mba or not.

Hi niks,

Me myself from Commerce background. Placement isall about what employer wants & what u have in u. Its true that most of the guys who get admission in IIMs & other bschools are engineers. But it does not mean that they will get highest placement.

This year the highest domestic Salary was offered to A COP. He is not engineer. But he had 20 years of experince. He is IPS. So u need something in u.

So its not about stream. Its about what u have in you & what Employer wants.

I m very happy to see such a gr8 passion. Hates of to u.

But , do what ever your heart says & which is interesting to u.

& enjoy life as Puneet said.

Best Of luck for the Journey. :thumbsup:

loved ur description....;)