Columbia(2007) Interviews and Beyond

hi all. went thru a lotta threads and it doesnt seem that alot of people are applying to cbs. i just wanted to probe the reason coz i was doing some research on it and i found it to be a pretty interesting school. could anyone share some…

hi all.

went thru a lotta threads and it doesnt seem that alot of people are applying to cbs. i just wanted to probe the reason coz i was doing some research on it and i found it to be a pretty interesting school.

could anyone share some gyaan regarding this? i plan to apply to columbia in r2. info/advice/suggestions/discussions/experiences all are welcome.

p.s.: is there anyone who has this school as his/her DREAM school?

help and be helped.

Hey Buddy,

I have already applied to CBS in the Early Decision Round. My application is under-review and am waiting for an interview call (hopefully).

Vishal

I had applied long-long ago.... thanks for reminding:)
By the way, I haven't received any response yet.

I had applied long-long ago.... thanks for reminding:)
By the way, I haven't received any response yet.

Hi Maniranjank,

I think we've already met on BW forum. Am I correct?

Yepsee

so guys. at least we all agree that columbia is gud enuff to apply. but my question is regarding its percieved strengths and probable drawbacks.
are the students snobbish? (like i hear they are at stanford and wharton). are the students overly competitive? is it strong fr career changers? u know the websites dont delve into all this so outsider's perspective is required.

i wanna get under the skin of columbia if possible.

watsay yepsee,mani,and others?

ats Says
so guys. at least we all agree that columbia is gud enuff to apply. but my question is regarding its percieved strengths and probable drawbacks.

Columbia is percieved to be a Finance school. It's proximity to Wall Street helps the students to lay hands some top notch jobs on Wall Street.

ats Says
are the students snobbish? (like i hear they are at stanford and wharton).

Very difficult to answer. However I personally feel that you'll always find some snobbish and some down to earth guys in a school. I know a guy from Wharton whom I have never met, never seen, never talked to ........... but still has helped me in fact guided me a lot in the application process.

ats Says
are the students overly competitive?

You bet they are. But then that shouldn't be a reason for not applying to a school. If you could get in that school then even you are equally competitive.

ats Says
is it strong fr career changers? u know the websites dont delve into all this so outsider's perspective is required.

Depends from which field are you coming and where you gonna go. Apart from school's website you can read blogs of current students to get additional info.

i wanna get under the skin of columbia if possible.

watsay yepsee,mani,and others?

Yes yepsee...
Trying to understand the practical and spiritual meaning of 'WAIT' 😞

ats, yepsee has given good response but you need to delve deeper.

thanx yepsee fr d replies.

but what u have mentioned is very generalised. u will find some helpfull students every where when there are 500 odd ones there..but the question is majority?

by competitive what i meant was will they be against u in endeavours in classes to trump u at everything. will they try to put u down by their super experiences and intelligence? but i guess answer to that would be tuff to find. but like fuqua tom-toms about its team fuqua culture.. what do columbians say?

change in careers: now a change frm anything into finance is never tuff fr an mba...my personal view... coz i feel every company feels that mbas have sound financial knowledge. but can it help me change from healthcare to ..say.. sports management? again tuff question...but im not looking fr easy answers here.

lets have another round of discussions. watsay.

----ats

Hi,

I believe that this is where the fit factor comes in.
Columbia is a school that is known for its individual oriented culture- vis a vis a team
oriented culture in many schools like Emory or Darden or Tuck or Fuqwa.
If you feel that you would not thrive in an extremely competitive environment then
Columbia is not the school for you, it is better to seek out other schools where the
competition is not cut throat.

Columbia belongs to the magnificient 7- constituted by the top B-schools in US and
it is certainly tru that a mojority of the population will be snobbish and aloof.
In a city like New York and in a class comprising more that 500 students one should
not go with any great expectations of great relations with all of them. Most often
your group will constitute a few people and this is how it will go on throughout the school life. But during a job search this same disadvantage becomes favourable because the
large size would mean more alumni and more opportunities of networking.

Think about all these when you choose Columbia.

Thanks
Raj

thanx razi,

now MAGNIFICENT 7 sure sounds nice. now i feel im getting under the skin of columbia. so the guys are snobbish. bad. im more of the freindly chap so i need something gud natured like fuqua.
but i will apply nevertheless. that way ill lern sumthin new if i get in : snobbery. 😃

I applied ED and subsequently dinged after interview.
The other poster that mentioned about lack of team culture is partly true and partly incorrect. New York offers so much in entertainment and personal life that it is very difficult to have a large group feeling. Similarly, Tuck, Darden, and Fuqua belong to a place that is in the "middle of nowhere" so you would end up hanging out with your own people. Hence, it would be unfair to blame the people. The cut-throat competition would be everywhere.
Well if you talk about individual culture then Chicago takes it to the extreme. I am talking from experience after visting and interviewing at most of these schools.

There is nothing called as magnificent 7 (it is a term coined in BW forums) and only folks following BW would be knowing. To someone Tuck might appeal more than letz say Chicago. I know a number of people who left Chicago for Tuck. After HSW, the rest 4-10 would have people taking decisions that can amaze you.

So, at the end of the day if you can leave every other college at the drop of the hat when you get a call from Columbia then YOU would get Columbia.
In my case - I can leave Columbia for Wharton and may be Chicago. With this mind, I am pretty sure it showed.

Coming back to the snobbish kind of attitude. I agree with Raj that any top school will have snobbish people. When you go into a room and think you are the best guy in the world then that attitude would show.
It is called as pride for the alma mater. Ask any IITian.
Like they say "When you are at the top of the food chain. You are bound to have an attitude."

kgkid Says
I applied ED and subsequently dinged after interview.

I submitted my application on 10/11. Completed on 10/25. No interview yet. Kgkid is there a hope left for me?

Coming back to the snobbish kind of attitude. I agree with Raj that any top school will have snobbish people. When you go into a room and think you are the best guy in the world then that attitude would show.
It is called as pride for the alma mater. Ask any IITian.
Like they say "When you are at the top of the food chain. You are bound to have an attitude."

Humm I am from IIT and I would beg to differ with what you've said. Again its a personal opinion and I think there's no point discussing this further.
yepsee Says
I submitted my application on 10/11. Completed on 10/25. No interview yet. Kgkid is there a hope left for me?

I am sure you have time. Dont worry. They would start sending more invites after the thanksgiving weekend.

Humm I am from IIT and I would beg to differ with what you've said. Again its a personal opinion and I think there's no point discussing this further.

I think I was not clear earlier. I would not call the students from top b-schools as "snobbish" literally. They are more proud of their alma mater than students from lower ranking schools. I wouldnt call pride for their school as being snobbish. Infact a guy from Wharton has helped me much more than my own senior from NYU. Go figure.

I agree with Raj & kid @ post #10 & #12

There is nothing called as magnificent 7 (it is a term coined in BW forums) and only folks following BW would be knowing. To someone Tuck might appeal more than letz say Chicago. I know a number of people who left Chicago for Tuck. After HSW, the rest 4-10 would have people taking decisions that can amaze you.

So, at the end of the day if you can leave every other college at the drop of the hat when you get a call from Columbia then YOU would get Columbia.
In my case - I can leave Columbia for Wharton and may be Chicago. With this mind, I am pretty sure it showed.

THe term M7 is known to everybody and theres some substance in it thats why it still exists.
These seven colleges have soem content.
Columbia is one of them.
---------------------------------------
OK just cut it.
--------------------------------------
@ats: i read students-blogs & i find them very informative. you can try it too

yeah aim, i guess the student blogs are really helpful.

by the way, i did happen to attend the columbia special event that took place at new delhi : a few observations

linda b. meehan, assistant dean for admissions and financial aid, sure dispelled a lot of my doubts. some of the key things that she said, coz of which ill surely apply there, are:
- new york. without doubt the biggest advantage. no place can give you leverage like new york can.
- absolute quality stuff when it comes to speakers who come and share thoughts
- the number of ways in which u can modify the curriculum according to ur needs (which also happens at most gud skools)
- the theory and case study balance. yes they do teach a lot thru theory and fr someone from non business background like me, its important.
- the great recruitment cell. with some of the best career stats.
- there are about 35-40 indian students in there, so i guess a lot of us stand a good chance. no need to be nervous about large indian pool etc.

now i know all this is also written in the website of columbia and also alot of other schools, but when she was explaining it, it all seemed too right to not be belived.

cheers.

Has anyone heard back from Columbia? I went through my interview over 3 wks ago and still nothing. I feel like later the news - worse the outcome. From experience, does anyone know if they actually take 10 weeks to respond?

thanks!

She said right but you need to be early from the indian pool. Columbia with its early decision and rolling admissions is very different. Bestuluk

yeah aim, i guess the student blogs are really helpful.

by the way, i did happen to attend the columbia special event that took place at new delhi : a few observations

linda b. meehan, assistant dean for admissions and financial aid, sure dispelled a lot of my doubts. some of the key things that she said, coz of which ill surely apply there, are:
- new york. without doubt the biggest advantage. no place can give you leverage like new york can.
- absolute quality stuff when it comes to speakers who come and share thoughts
- the number of ways in which u can modify the curriculum according to ur needs (which also happens at most gud skools)
- the theory and case study balance. yes they do teach a lot thru theory and fr someone from non business background like me, its important.
- the great recruitment cell. with some of the best career stats.
- there are about 35-40 indian students in there, so i guess a lot of us stand a good chance. no need to be nervous about large indian pool etc.

now i know all this is also written in the website of columbia and also alot of other schools, but when she was explaining it, it all seemed too right to not be belived.

cheers.
Has anyone heard back from Columbia? I went through my interview over 3 wks ago and still nothing. I feel like later the news - worse the outcome. From experience, does anyone know if they actually take 10 weeks to respond?

thanks!

Adcom head is currently visiting India and unless and until she returns or gives her approval, no acceptance or denial can be sent. Two more weeks to go, as far as I remember.