College selection.. Help needed !

Hi everybody:) , I need ur help in college selection. I took my GMAT yesterday and scored 640 - Q 47 V 30. It’s little below my expectations:neutral: . On exam day, somehow I couldn’t perform well on verbal section and finally I ended up at…

Hi everybody:) ,

I need ur help in college selection. I took my GMAT yesterday and scored 640 - Q 47 V 30. It's little below my expectations:neutral: . On exam day, somehow I couldn't perform well on verbal section and finally I ended up at 640 ! I'm interested in US, Asia and Europe in that order (pls suggest me if you have other opinions considering this score). Please give me your suggestions as to which colleges should I focus in Asia or the US with this score, where I have fair chances of admit.

I'm writing my profile in short for your reference.

Edu. Qual. - B.Tech., REC Trichy
GPA- Average (6.8/10=2.7/4)
Work exp. (2.5 to 3 years)-

1 year 4 months in Sales-Industrial Goods in an MNC
7 months in Sales-Medical Devices in a well known MNC
June, 2006 onwards- Private business

GMAT- 640 (Maths 47 Verbal 30)
Toefl- Not yet taken (will take it if required by colleges).

Please give me your opinions on how I should go for the next step based on your ideas or prior research.

-Ppapers.

Please give me your opinions on how I should go for the next step based on your ideas or prior research.

Uhm dude, I think you're sort of missing the point.

I did my research based on the kind of subjects I want to study and the kind of career I wish to have after graduation.

Think about what you want to study and the kind of career you want in your life. THEN you can ask for advice as to which colleges will help you study what you want and help you get the kind of job you want.

The system in America isn't like the one in India. The colleges you can apply to aren't determined by your GMAT score/percentile. You can be accepted by Harvard with a 640, or be rejected by Rutgers (no disrespect to them) with a 740.

Do some research on yourself first.

I'm not sure if i'm asking the right question in the right forum, if not please guide me..

First of all my intro:

I'm a software consultant in US for around 1.5 years now and has experience of more than 4 years as of now. I'm writing my GMAT this Nov and aiming to get atleast 720.

My question is "Is there a thing that a candidate applying for business schools in US around oct(first round) has more chances to get the scholarships than a candidate applying in the second round i.e Jan/Feb?"
Also please advise if you are aware of the websites screening the business school rankings.

Thanks and all the best to everyone. 😃

My question is "Is there a thing that a candidate applying for business schools in US around oct(first round) has more chances to get the scholarships than a candidate applying in the second round i.e Jan/Feb?"
Also please advise if you are aware of the websites screening the business school rankings.

Think about it this way.

If you have Rs.100 with you, which you HAVE TO spend- and 5 salespeople come to sell you things.

Assuming you buy something from all 5 salespeople, the FIRST salesperson will have the HIGHEST numeric probability of getting the BEST price.

Suppose you buy something worth Rs.20 from the first guy, the second guy will only have a kitty of Rs.80 to begin with... and so on and so forth.

Depending on how you spend your money, the LAST guy could either get very little (say Rs.5), or a lot (Rs.50) depending on how you've spent so far. While he does have a chance, the probability is low.

I hope you understood that, because if you didn't- 720 will be difficult :P

And the rankings are a GUIDE. If you swear by them, you'll have a tough time explaining to the schools in your essays why you want to go there.

All the best
Good answer Nonedone.

nonedone=i'm done.Good to see that pal.keep moving

baccardisprite Says
Good answer Nonedone.

You're much too kind 😃

Thanks Nonedone for such a clear cut reply..
That means schools can finish up their schols in the first round itself.. depending upon the type of candidate they get in first round..
So is it total luck for the second round ppl ? or a deserving candidate can still have the chance, even if schools have spend their allocated sum in first round. I'm little inquisitive, i know.. ..

Thanks Nonedone for such a clear cut reply..
That means schools can finish up their schols in the first round itself.. depending upon the type of candidate they get in first round..
So is it total luck for the second round ppl ? or a deserving candidate can still have the chance, even if schools have spend their allocated sum in first round. I'm little inquisitive, i know.. ..

Each school have assigned equal no. of seats in their R1 and R2 stage.
But in R3 very few seats left hece the competetiveness in R3 is more.

R1 nd R2 ---> Deserved candidate selected.
R3 ---> Very special candidate will b selected.

Hey u discerning minds...

Can u sugeest some top-notch schools for operations/HR??

help moi out ppl....

ciao....

I would suggest you to retake the GMAT. You are young and have some time. Whoever says GMAT is not important is BS. Try to get near the average GMAT of your target school. If someone says you can get into Stanford with 640 then check the profiles of the people, who made it with that score. Dont be disiillusioned with essay and other parts of the app stuff. Get near 690/700 and then you can start concentrating on other parts.
My $.02

Hi everybody:) ,
I need ur help in college selection. I took my GMAT yesterday and scored 640 - Q 47 V 30. It's little below my expectations:neutral: . On exam day, somehow I couldn't perform well on verbal section and finally I ended up at 640 ! I'm interested in US, Asia and Europe in that order (pls suggest me if you have other opinions considering this score). Please give me your suggestions as to which colleges should I focus in Asia or the US with this score, where I have fair chances of admit.
I'm writing my profile in short for your reference.
Edu. Qual. - B.Tech., REC Trichy
GPA- Average (6.8/10=2.7/4)
Work exp. (2.5 to 3 years)-
1 year 4 months in Sales-Industrial Goods in an MNC
7 months in Sales-Medical Devices in a well known MNC
June, 2006 onwards- Private business
GMAT- 640 (Maths 47 Verbal 30)
Toefl- Not yet taken (will take it if required by colleges).
-Ppapers.
will only have a kitty of Rs.80 to begin with... and so on and so forth.

Depending on how you spend your money, the LAST guy could either get very little (say Rs.5), or a lot (Rs.50) depending on how you've spent so far. While he does have a chance, the probability is low.

I hope you understood that, because if you didn't- 720 will be difficult :P

Brilliant answer.