CMU Tepper 2009 Aspirants

Hey guys, Could not find any tepper 2009 applicants thread. Hence starting this one… We can share our profiles, goals and help each other make it to this coveted B school… :: My profile: Im an IT guy. Have around 3 years o…

Hey guys,

Could not find any tepper 2009 applicants thread. Hence starting this one..

We can share our profiles, goals and help each other make it to this coveted B school....

My profile:

Im an IT guy. Have around 3 years of work ex. Was in the financial domain most of the time. I wanted to get to the operations and manufacturing domain. Now atlast i am in the domain that ive wanted to get into. Ive been in this domain for 4 months. WHile applying i would have around 8 months in this domain.

I have already taken my gmat. Ive score 710. Ive got a balanced score in maths and english. I have a 4.5 on the AWA (Would this score of AWA be a concern?) I have a decent academic record.
10 --> 75 %
12 --> 80 %
Engg (electronics and commn) --> 84 %

Extracurricular --> I play the guitar, i learn french (would be completing the 2nd level by august).

NGO Stuff --> Was doing my bit for the community last year for around 5-6 months...but had to change compnies. SO could not contnue...Would be taking it up again this year..

Start postin' ....

Lov'd this school from whatever research I had done on this..
Especially when I want to return to IT, the CMU brand is too strong!! But their insistence for a US co-signer forced me to drop it from my list.. :(

I believe Tepper is the only one among top schools that's so adamant on this. 😞

you are talking about a co-signer needed to secure a loan, right?

Lov'd this school from whatever research I had done on this..
Especially when I want to return to IT, the CMU brand is too strong!! But their insistence for a US co-signer forced me to drop it from my list.. :(

I believe Tepper is the only one among top schools that's so adamant on this. :(
RedJazzGuy Says
you are talking about a co-signer needed to secure a loan, right?

Ya..thats wat he's talking abt. few stringent rules such as these force us to drop these school from our list....

I heard that CMU reuires one to show around 133000$ in their bank accounts during the visa stages....Is that true?? Any dea how that works??

All these apart, this is a gr8 school. I wish to go into OM..Prolly a major in it and a minor in IT. SO this school fits the bill properly.

Hi
I am Arjun a CMU Mba aspirant will be applying
> for the next session,by the time i would have a work
> ex of close to 4 years ,I am workig in Mergers and
> Acquisitions(working as Team Leader (M&A;)in a big MNC

> PROFILE --Mergers and Acquisitions (identification
> of potetial acquisition targets for our
> organisation,Doing Due-dilligence,business
> valuations,transaction structuring etc..)
have executed 2 deals primarily in Auto sector,3 more in the pipeline(Energy sector,Auto Sector)

i want to know more about the admission requirements in terms of Gmat,Gpa and Work ex at CMU considering my profile if i apply early in first round..

what are my chances at CMU...

plz rply guyz

Regards
arjun

Heyy
my profile.
690 with 3 yrs of work-ex(by june2009)
3 yrs IT experience in cognizant (banking / finance domain)
excllent acads (ranker)
guud extra curriculars.
won an award too in Cognizant.

what are my chances to get in Tepper Mba?

I am a doctorate in Materials Science and Engineering and presently pursuing my research in USA. I worked in Japan after my Doctorate degree for 3 years as R&D; group leader. I have some international patents.
Will my research background play a negative role in case of my MBA admission?
Thanking you
Armaan

Hi,
I took the gmat last month got 710. balanced scores in verbal and maths.
Have 2.5 years of IT experience.
Extraciriculars in college:
member of the college magazine editorail board, gaming contests, paper presentation, programing contests.
Community service:
ahve been working with an organisation for the past one year.

10:72%
12:77%
grad:70%

Do i stand a chance? i wanna continue in IT so CMU is an obvious choice. Also besides CMU what other options do i have?

Armaan; your research background should not hurt your chances of getting in. What matters more is how practically applicable your work was when you were an R&D; group leader (i.e., were you managing operations - finance, accounting, IT, HR, etc. - or were you conducting research). Obviously, the former would be more appropriate for your MBA application.

On a general note, any GMAT score above 700 is very good. Not every person accepted into CMU will have earned a 700 on the GMAT. If you have a score that is around 700, focus on promoting the uniqueness of your work experiences and any other personal accomplishments you've achieved within your application.

To answer your question about other good MBA programs with strong IS departments, see below:

The best MIS programs in the US are MIT, University of Texas Austin, Case Western Reserve University and Carnegie Mellon University. These "best" Universities have some of the worlds most renowned MIS faculty teaching there.

Second tier may be the University of Colorado at Boulder, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, Georgia Tech and University of Maryland at College Park.

Indiana University and New York University are good in MIS as well.

Guys,

1. Tepper asks for employment records in reverse chronological order. How do you mention about your long term international assignments here? Incase there are multiple visits, how will you show the break in between?

2. It asks for Calculus and Statistics course titles. Do you just mention the course titles as in Transcripts? Like MAT01, MAT02 ??? Or do you also give the details of what calculus topics you studies under MAT01? The details are available in university websites, but I am not sure whether to write it or not.

Help pls..

Zox

Pagals,

Has anyone received any interview invitation yet ?

Regards

RSB

Hello,

Just to let you know that I received an interview invite from Tepper. Scheduled for Friday. My profile:

GMAT 770/5.5, IT, 4.5 years WE International, leadership, Nice extra curriculars, consistent acads including scholarships

Happy Diwali

RSB

When did you submit your application?

Submitted it on Oct 20, 2008

zor.singh Says
When did you submit your application?

I got an interview invite too, though I have to call up and schedule it.

Profile:
GMAT 750/5
Grad from IIT
3 years work ex till now in IT
Good EC

PGs,

Finished my interview last night. It was a fairly standard interview, quite conversational. I was interviewed by Mr Linwood Harris, who called right on time.

I was asked about my life since high-school, university, Work-ex etc. I was also asked about leadership, which leaders I admire the most etc. We also had a quick chat about sports and the Steelers. We discussed my long term goals and my most significant achievement as a team-player.

We talked about hobbies and extra curriculars, in addition to my academics. What would I add to the Tepper community, what are my strengths and weaknesses.

I was also keen to know the statistics behind the IT track, some placement statistics from my side.

Overall, I thought the interview was quite smooth. I'd like to believe that I was able to highlight the points in the essays quite well. However, I guess we won't know until Dec 😃

Hey,

I got an interview call too.

770/5.5/B.Tech (Mechanical), B.Tech (IT-dual degree) from VIT/ graduated in 2006.
worked for a year with TVS Motor Company, been in the family business since.
I was surprised because I got a call on the third day after I submitted my application.

Dear all, got a interview call.

A first timer on this thread. Would like to know on when is the best time to schedule it, the telephonic stuff i.e...probably a info on the time and day would help.

The background info.

750/5.5, 3 years in the automotive product development sector.
B.Tech Mech from NIT Warangal with good acads.(one of the best outgoing students)
Good coll extra-curriculars.
decent work extra-curriculars.

I scheduled mine late at night IST, 'cos there was too much background noise during the day. That way, I had a nice quiet back drop.

Dear all, got a interview call.

A first timer on this thread. Would like to know on when is the best time to schedule it, the telephonic stuff i.e...probably a info on the time and day would help.

The background info.

750/5.5, 3 years in the automotive product development sector.
B.Tech Mech from NIT Warangal with good acads.(one of the best outgoing students)
Good coll extra-curriculars.
decent work extra-curriculars.