CMU Stern waitlisted and rejected..

Hi, I am an IITB 2004 passout and an IT male. I took GMAT last year and got 780. GPA of 8.2 and average-to-below-average extraCurr+community service. This is what I got finally: CMU got waitlisted and dinged[image] Stern got waitlisted…

Hi,

I am an IITB 2004 passout and an IT male. I took GMAT last year and got 780. GPA of 8.2 and average-to-below-average extraCurr+community service. This is what I got finally:

CMU got waitlisted and dinged
Stern got waitlisted and dinged
Ross got interviewed and dinged
MIT long wait and dinged without i/v
Purdue in with some $$ that I did not take....
Chi and Col dinged withing 10 days.

I am not able to understand what should I do this year. Can somebody guide me how to proceed this year. I am thinking of applying to some schools that I had not applied last year. My area of preference is Finance.

Also, how do I go about getting feedback from univs. Is it possible to get feedback from all the schools (I mean whether i/ved or not)?

Thanks.

Hi,

I am an IITB 2004 passout and an IT male. I took GMAT last year and got 780. GPA of 8.2 and average-to-below-average extraCurr+community service. This is what I got finally:

I am not able to understand what should I do this year. Can somebody guide me how to proceed this year. I am thinking of applying to some schools that I had not applied last year. My area of preference is Finance.

Also, how do I go about getting feedback from univs. Is it possible to get feedback from all the schools (I mean whether i/ved or not)?

Thanks.
It will be a great idea to take a feedback from the schools. They generally provide a detailed feedback especially if one is called for the interview call. Go to the GMAT forum and ask advice from ppl like Iday, Keya, Kunal, Deba, Sonam aka cyronerve. They can guide you better.

ATB for the next year 😃
Hi,

I am an IITB 2004 passout and an IT male. I took GMAT last year and got 780. GPA of 8.2 and average-to-below-average extraCurr+community service.

That's a good profile, and academic part is terrific!!..But I guess here's what proved damaging to you.. "average-to-below-average extraCurr+community service."
Was that below-average xtra-curriculars+CS purely after ur GMAT,i.e. purely to improve ur profile.. Have heard that if the adcom can see through this, it can have a negative effect on ur application..
Another thing I feel is that if u have got the results just now, then did u app in R3.. Try apping in R1 and early action rounds.. This can surely boost ur chances..

I'm also an applicant this year.. I guess experts like Keya and iday can comment beter on this 😃

780 gmat is just WOW!!!
really surprised to see so many rejects. I would have thought u should have walked through some of the schools u listed with this gmat. ur age is listed as 23? if u are 23 then I think that is a little too young. but again there is a wonderful example of Harvard entrant on this website with a 700 gmat and just out of univ i think with a deferred entry...so dont give up and apply in round 1.
think the school that interviewed you will be able to give you very useful feedback. U must get in touch with them and get the real picture.
did u take any help on ur applications? maybe get some feedback on ur essays etc from people who have cracked the top 10 schools or professionals. it might make a differance.
best of luck. with a 780 gmat U MUST settle for nothing less than the absolute top schools!

Hi,

Thanks.

Tough luck. If I have to take a blind guess, it has to be execution of your application.

-> Essays
-> Why Finance?
-> Why now?

Considering the fact that you are from IT, any slip up in any part makes it extra tough.

What to do now is pretty obvious. Improve your EC/Comm service and when you reapply this time, make sure you have presented yourself best in the application. If you want my feedback, feel free to send me your essays within next week. I will try to be as cynical as possible.

ur workexperience may not be competitve in the application pool. since u hav applied in top schools only there gmat is already high so u have to prove how u r different than other candidates. ur personality should shine frm ur essays, ur goals should be clear. dont hesistate to add some gr8 things about u..u have to become a seller to sell urself...focus on leadership qualities and managerial experiences in ur essays...prepare well for interviews as most of the questions are already known.

Hi,

Thanks.

Can't take a better guess Lokesh, I think you could have missed something in your extracurricular/CS, essays or reference letters. You can approach schools and see if they give you the feedback on your application, I think they have some time frame within they give you the feedback for past year's application. Check with individual schools.
You can also reconsider recommender if you think they will improve your chances, I also suggest you to be extra careful with your application essays. Consult friends who have been through the same process, take help from this thread (you have been offered :)) or seek professional help if required.

Cheers!
Hi,

Thanks.

I am just shooting in the dark. If you are looking at finance why don't you try switching to a equity research company this year? And btw, you should definitely try and talk to pg member - Iday.
Hi,

Hi Lokesh....I am a first year student at stern..............just looked at your post and thought must chip in...

I had a similar profile when i applied to stern.......I am also 23 years old and the GMAT was comparatively low.....

I think for young applicants like us, they are particularly interested in looking at the maturity of the applicant, the thought process....and you should come across as a matured, thoughtful person....You should also focus on your extra-curricular and community services.......See if you can do something about it....

work on your essays...show them you are focused and know the finance world and what you are expected to do...show them u r a passionate person and do not forget to show your passion for finance....

In a nutshell, tell them u r beter than an average 26-27 years old person...being young has its own positives too...Build your story focusing on attributes such as energy, zeal, passion...

GMAT is just a part of the entire application......work hard on other parts..

Best of Luck..

Hi Incarnation,

I want to ask some question...First of all i have got a GMAT score of 750 V42 QA 49 .Have a workex of 3 yrs in IT(Very common) decent extra curricular background.but pretty bad acads...do i stand a chance in Stern . I am interseted in Finance..What would be safety school for me ....Keeping in mind my pathetic acads can I hope for any top MBA university admit?

Hi Incarnation,

I want to ask some question...First of all i have got a GMAT score of 750 V42 QA 49 .Have a workex of 3 yrs in IT(Very common) decent extra curricular background.but pretty bad acads...do i stand a chance in Stern . I am interseted in Finance..What would be safety school for me ....Keeping in mind my pathetic acads can I hope for any top MBA university admit?

Hi Harmeet...

To be honest, it is difficult for anyone to gauge ur chances of getting in as they look at so many things.........Yes, the average GMAt score for indians at Stern seems to be 740 and the GPA seems to be high too...But having said that, there are also a few people who didnt have good GMAt scores and GPA but they are here.....Maybe, they highlighted some other parts of the application which compelled the admissions officer to take them in.....The same applies for work-ex as there are some Indians here who worked with IT companies before joining Stern.....

So, u can never know till u apply and hear from them....

Hello people!

Its quite a common thing to ask what are my chances but here I go.

I am 24, male from Bangalore.

Work experience: 15 months IT company + 21 months finance based firm where I did equity research.

GMAT: 710 (Quant 80 percentile, verbal 96 percentile)

Acads: Decent. 10th: 88%, 12th: 85%, Engineering: 78%.

Extra-curricular: I represented the country at the 14 International Youth Leadership Conference. Participants from around 50 countries had attended the conference.

I have started a social service wing in my previous company that is quite active.
I also started headed the magazine committee through school and college. Infact in my first company of employment I headed the in-house magazine team and the magazine had a readership of over 30,000.

I do not know how this fits in, but I have involved myself in a local weekly for the past 6 years. I am not only a weekly columnist but have also worked in the marketing section of the weekly. With just ten people running the weekly, I have contributed a lot to grow the readership from 3000 to 50,000.

Social Service: Through the social wing I started.

Which colleges do you think I should apply to with decent hopes of getting in. I am looking for a general management course with a good mix of marketing and finance.

Which is the best university I can apply to? I am open to both US and UK schools.

Kindly help me please.

Hello people!

Its quite a common thing to ask what are my chances but here I go.

I am 24, male from Bangalore.

Work experience: 15 months IT company + 21 months finance based firm where I did equity research.

GMAT: 710 (Quant 80 percentile, verbal 96 percentile)

Acads: Decent. 10th: 88%, 12th: 85%, Engineering: 78%.

Extra-curricular: I represented the country at the 14 International Youth Leadership Conference. Participants from around 50 countries had attended the conference.

I have started a social service wing in my previous company that is quite active.
I also started headed the magazine committee through school and college. Infact in my first company of employment I headed the in-house magazine team and the magazine had a readership of over 30,000.

I do not know how this fits in, but I have involved myself in a local weekly for the past 6 years. I am not only a weekly columnist but have also worked in the marketing section of the weekly. With just ten people running the weekly, I have contributed a lot to grow the readership from 3000 to 50,000.

Social Service: Through the social wing I started.

Which colleges do you think I should apply to with decent hopes of getting in. I am looking for a general management course with a good mix of marketing and finance.

Which is the best university I can apply to? I am open to both US and UK schools.

Kindly help me please.

Deepak, seriously those achievements don't mean a thing unless you tie up everything nicely in your essays. An MBA from a U.S. B-school calls for serious introspection. Aim for that. What motivated you to start a social wing? Why were you involved in the local weekly? You contributed to the weekly but how did you help in increasing the readership.

Also, one can decide the schools based on your future goals, your past experiences and your class fit. Nobody can help you with that info unless A) you do research or B) arrive at a list of schools and want help on narrowing down further. GOod luck!