Join the discussion on CMAT Preparation and Get more Information CMAT Exam, CMAT Admit Card, CMAT Syllabus, CMAT Mock Test From our MBA Section and Much More..
Please use this thread only for CMAT preparation .... Discussion on questions and other strategies related to preparation.
This thread would be a continuously running thread and serve as repository for indicating what/how to prepare and form a strong study group for the same.
This won't be a seasonal thread changing with every exam window.
For exam window specific queries regarding application, colleges accepting score etc. kindly use the thread dedicated for that purpose.
For CMAT Feb 2013 specific discussions for application and other related stuff, please post the queries here : http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/mat-cmat-and-state-exams/cmat-feb-2013-discussions-t-88302/p-3610898/r-3979432?page=1
All the best and enjoy the journey!
1. Coastal districts of Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh are bracing for a cyclonic storm that is expected to make landfall on Wednesday, 31st October 2012, as incessant rains hit normal life on Tuesday in Chennai. Authorities were put on high alert after a deep depression lying 500km southeast of Chennai intensified into a cyclonic storm and is expected to cross the coast between Nagapattinam in Tamil Nadu and Nellore in Andhra Pradesh, bringing in torrential rains in the region. What is the name given to the system under the cyclone naming procedure?
2. Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, the 2008 Mumbai attacks mastermind and for whom the US has offered a bounty of USD 10 million, said on Monday 30th October 2012 that his organisation was ready to help Americans affected by the superstorm Sandy. Though the US offered a bounty for Saeed earlier this year, the founder of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba has been freely holding public meetings across Pakistan, especially in Punjab province. He is the chief of which outfit?
3. On October 29, 2012, a replica of the famous British vessel built for the 1962 film version of "Mutiny on the Bounty" and which also appeared in the 2006 blockbuster "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest", sank when a superstorm "Sandy" barrelled into the US. Three people washed off the ship and were engulfed by Atlantic waters, in spate due to Hurricane Sandy. What is the name of the ship?
4. Lucasfilm Limited is an American film production company founded by George Lucas in 1971, based in San Francisco, California. The company is best known for producing the Star Wars films, and has also produced other box office hits, including the Indiana Jones franchise and American Graffiti. Which company has announced, on 30th October 2012, an agreement to purchase Lucasfilm for US$4.05 billion and produce additional Star Wars films?
[A]Warner Bros. Pictures
[B]The Walt Disney Company
[C]20th Century Fox
5. On 30th October 2012, which country hosted its first professional men's boxing match between the players Hamid Rahimi versus Said Mbelwa?
P.S. Source Quizmantra.com
Someone please guide me which book or source to use for LC+LR part for CMAT,feb?
English section in CMAT thought to be easy pie to digest really gave a hard churn at the end .
@a2k said:Someone please guide me which book or source to use for LC+LR part for CMAT,feb?
@michael.westen said:English section in CMAT thought to be easy pie to digest really gave a hard churn at the end .Need good practise otherwise scoring big in Quant and LC seems no fruitful.
@PatrickDsouza said:Can look at RS agrawal verbal and non verbal reasoning for Logic. There are other logic books in the market which you can refer to.
@a2k said:I have Arihant reasoning book that includes both,will it be a good choice?
1. A massive, late-season tropical cyclone has affected Jamaica, Cuba, the Bahamas, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, and the United States, and is currently affecting the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast coasts of the United States, and Eastern Canada and so far killed at least 67 people and caused widespread damage in the Caribbean. State of emergency has been declared in Eastern coast of US on 29th Oct 2012. Can you name the hurricane?
2. On 29th October 2012, World's one of the biggest publishing houses Bertelsmann entered into an agreement with rival conglomerate Pearson plc, of combining their respective publishing companies. What is the name of the new publishing company?
[A]Penguin Random House
[B]Penguin Putnam Inc
[D]Bertelsmann Pearson Publishing
3. Which Indian IT major on Monday, 29th October 2012, announced that that it would build an integrated campus in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, for IT and BPO with an initial investment of Rs. 550 crore?
4. Dismissing all speculations of veteran Congress leader S Jaipal Reddy being upset over the change in his portfolio, the Union Minister said on Monday 29th October 2012, that he was "excited to be a part of the new ministry" and called it an important one. However Jaipal Reddy's removal from the Petroleum and Natural Gas Ministry has created a political storm, with rivals of the ruling party alleging that corporate pressures orchestrated his departure while market analysts said the change may augur well for private firms. Which new portfolio has been given to Jaipal Reddy?
[B]Information & Broadcasting
[C]Science and Technology and Earth Sciences of India
5. Announced on Monday, 29th October 2012, BIG RTL, the joint venture between Reliance Broadcast Network Ltd (RBNL) and European entertainment network RTL Group, is planning to launch its first channel on November 5, 2012. According to RBNL, the channel will have an entertainment mix developed by detailed sampling of content, focus group research and comprehensive market analysis. Initially, the channel - an action entertainment channel targeted at male audiences - will go on air in Uttar Pradesh, with international content dubbed in Hindi. What is the name of the new channel?
1. In the cabinet reshuffle on 28th October 2012, newly inducted Railway Minister said that his priority will be to improve the financial health of the national transporter and make it a preferred mode of journey in the country. Who has been named as the new Railway Minister?
[A]Pawan Kumar Bansal
[B]Adhir Ranjan Choudhary
[C]Kotla Jaya Suryaprakash Reddy
[D]C. P. Joshi
2. A Japanese player shocked World No. 3 Saina Nehwal of India to record a sensational 21-19, 21-11 win in the 39-minute final of the French Open Super Series women's singles in Paris on Sunday, 28th October 2012. What is the name of the Japanese badminton player who defeted Saina Nehwal in the final?
[A]Maria Kristin Yulianti
[B]Lydia Cheah Li Ya
3. The Indian Grand Prix is a motor race in the calendar of the FIA Formula One World Championship held at the Buddh International Circuit in Greater Noida near New Delhi. Who won the Indian Grand Prix on Sunday 28th October 2012?
4. Asia's biggest radio telescope, the size of eight basketball courts, to be used in collecting accurate data from satellites and space probes was unveiled at the foot of Sheshan Mountain in Shanghai Astronomical Observatory on Sunday, 28th October 2012. With a diameter of 65 meters and height of 70 meters this Radio Telescope is able to "hear" faint signals from 10 billion light years away. What is the official name of this telescope?
[A]Primeval Structure Telescope (PaST)
[B]Chinese Spectral Radio Heliograph (CSRH)
[C]Miyun Synthesis Radio Telescope (MSRT)
[D]Shanghai 65-meter Radio Telescope
5. Which Indian billiards player notched up his seventh World Billiards Championship title in the time format after comprehensively beating defending champion and seasoned Englishman Mike Russell in the final in Leeds?
For GK : Manorama , Gk by Manohar Pandey, Also you can visit GKtoday.com, Quizmantra.com
and yes they give detail analysis for each test and right now they are offering discount too
Persons in News
Rajkeshwar Purryag, also known as Kailash Purryag, is the new President of Mauritius. He succeeds Anerood Jugnauth who resigned in March 2012 following an open conflict with Prime Minister Navin Chandra Ramgoolam.
Senior Congress leader P. J. Kurien is set to become the Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha. He was the unanimous choice for the job with Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh and Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley filing nomination in his favour.
Mr Kurien's election will be the first occasion where the ruling alliance and the Opposition will be jointly deciding a candidate after contest in both Presidential and Vice Presidential elections. Mr Kurien succeeds K. Rahman Khan, whose term expired recently.
The Left and other parties were reportedly not interested in fighting the election as the numbers do not add up and putting up a contest for the sake of doing so is not favoured by many. The ruling Congress has a comfortable majority with support from the SP and the BSP.
Yahoo! has appointed Marissa Mayer as President and Chief Executive Officer and Member of the Board of Directors. Most recently, Ms Mayer was responsible for Local, Maps, and Location Services for Google, the company's suite of local and geographical products including Google Maps, Google Earth, Zagat, Street View, and local search, for desktop and mobile. She joined Google in 1999 as its 20th employee and led efforts for many of Google's most recognizable products, including the development of its flagship search product and iconic homepage for over 10 years. Ms Mayer managed some of Google's most successful innovations, launching more than 100 features and products including image, book and product search, toolbar, iGoogle, Google News, and Gmail — creating much of the “look and feel” of the Google user experience.
Ivica Dacic is the new Prime Minister of Serbia.
Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi has appointed the Minister of Water Resources and Irrigation, Hisham Qandil, to the position of Prime Minister.
Gore Vidal, the iconoclastic writer and savvy analyst has died. He was 86.
Mr Vidal was a literary juggernaut who wrote 25 novels, including historical works such as 'Lincoln' and 'Burr' and satires such as 'Myra Breckinridge' and 'Duluth'. He was also a prolific essayist whose pieces on politics, sexuality, religion and literature both delighted and inflamed and in 1993 earned him a National Book Award for his massive 'United States Essays, 1952-1992'.
P. Chidambaram is the new Finance Minister of India. He replaces Pranab Mukherjee, who has been elected the President of India. Sushil Kumar Shinde, the Minister for Power and a former Chief Minister of Maharashtra, is the new Home Minister. The Corporate Affairs Minister Veerappa Moily is given the additional charge of Power.
Dlamini Zuma, South Africa's Home Affairs Minister, has defeated the incumbent Jean Ping of Gabon to become the first woman to head the African Union (AU) Commission.
Freedom fighter and leader of the All Women Rani Jhansi Regiment of the Indian National Army (INA) of Subhash Chandra Bose, Lakshmi Sehgal, has died, aged 92. In the post-Independence era, she become a member of the Communist Party of India (Marxist). Captain Lakshmi was arrested by the British Army in May 1945. She remained under house arrest until March 1946, when she was sent to India to be tried under what were known as the “INA Trials”. She was one of the founders of the All India Democratic Women's Association (AIDWA) formed in 1981. She was the presidential candidate of the Left Front in 2002 against A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.
Renowed Kuchipudi exponent Vempati Chinna Satyam, has died, aged 83. He not only popularized the dance but also refined it. He established the Kuchipudi Art Academy in Chennai in 1963 where he composed and choreographed more than 180 solo items and 15 dance dramas. He was awarded Padma Bhushan in 1956 and made a fellow of the Sangeet Natak Akademy.
Rajesh Khanna, one of Bollywood's biggest stars, has died, aged 69. Kaka, as he was popularly known, was one of the highest paid actors of his time, with his record of 15 consecutive solo super hits still unbroken. Between 1969-1979, he starred in mega hits like 'Aradhana,' 'Do Raaste,' 'Safar', 'Kati Patang,' 'Sachaa Jhutha', 'Aan Milo Sajna,' 'Anand,' 'Amar Prem' and 'Mere Jeevan Saathi.'
The mega star had a small beginning in Amritsar. Born Jatin Arora on December 29, 1942, he was adopted and raised by foster parents. He went from being Jatin to Rajesh, thanks to his uncle who changed his name, when he decided to join films. In 1965, the journey to filmdom started after he won the All India Talent Contest organised by United Producers and Filmfare. He made his debut with 'Aakhri Khat' in 1966. He later entered politics and was elected as a Member of Parliament on a Congress party ticket between 1992 and 1996.
Awards & Honours
Magsaysay Awards 2012
*Chen Shu-Jiu (Taiwan), for transforming young lives through a life of giving;
*Romulo Davide (Philippines), for turning farmers into scientist-producers;
*Kulandei Francis (India), for breaking the bonds of poverty and justice;
*Syeda Rizwana Hasan (Bangladesh), for advocating for social and ecological justice;
*Yang Saing Koma (Cambodia), for putting science at the service of the farmers, and
*Ambrosius Ruwindrijarto (Indonesia), for creating entrepreneurial ways for community-based natural resource management.
Economy & Business
India's top carmaker Maruti Suzuki suspended production at its Gurgaon plant after workers attacked managers, leaving one person dead and scores injured. The Manesar plant, employs 2,000 people, and normally produces up to 1,200 of Maruti's top-selling Swift and A-Star hatchbacks and SX4 sedans daily.
The deceased was the General Manager, Human Resources, of the company. The company said the dispute began when a shop floor employee beat up a supervisor. The workers' union then prevented management from taking disciplinary action and blocked managers from leaving the factory after work.
HSBC CEO Stuart Gulliver apologises for “shameful and embarrassing mistakes” made in anti-money laundering controls as the bank set aside U.S.$2 billion to cover the cost of the U.S. investigation and compensate UK customers for misselling.Europe's biggest bank HSBC reported a 3% dip in underlying profit. It made a provision of U.S.$700 million to cover certain law enforcement and regulatory matters after a damaging U.S. Senate report. The report censured HSBC for letting clients deal in funds from dangerous and secretive countries, like Mexico and Iran. The report talked of the “pervasively polluted culture” at the bank. The U.S. investigation could result in a fine of U.S.$1 billion for HSBC. HSBC has set aside U.S.$1.3 billion to compensate UK customers for misselling loan insurance to individuals and interest rate hedging products to small businesses.
Barclays Bank has appointed Sir David Walker as its new chairman in the wake of the Libor scandal. Sir David is a senior banker who led the 2009 British government inquiry into the rules governing how banks are run.
Chairman Marcus Agius said he would resign after Barclays was fined for attempting to manipulate the Libor inter-bank lending rate. Barclays is currently without a chief executive after Bob Diamond quit in July.
Barclays was fined £290m by UK and the U.S. financial regulators in June after some of its derivatives traders were found to have attempted to rig the rate.