Christ Micro Presentation Discussion 2010 - 2012

Hello Puys… By now all those students who took Dec 09 MAT mustve started applying to the colleges of their choice…some of you might have even received calls for GD / PI / MP … Christ University, which is one of the top universities …

Hello Puys..

By now all those students who took Dec 09 MAT mustve started applying to the colleges of their choice...some of you might have even received calls for GD / PI / MP ..

Christ University, which is one of the top universities accepting MAT scores would be conducting its GD / PI from 31st Jan to 3rd Feb.

Christ conducts GD / PI in two stages.. In the first stage there is a Micro Presentation for 90 seconds.. and then GD is conducted ..and if u clear them.. u get called for the PI..

Anyways..since there are 50 topics to prepare..I thought it'll be good to start a thread to discuss these topics.. and plus itll be a practice for GDs as well...

Here are the topics.. so let the discussions begin..

Topics for presentation (MBA)

1. Academic dishonesty the first step in corruption
2. Should Academic freedom be permitted in our higher education
3. Indian Education reforms: One leap forward or two steps backward
4. Endangered species: Who is responsible to protect them
5. Should the Media be censored
6. Is History a valid tool to plan the future
7. Do we lack foresight in planning our cities
8. Academic pressure: Too much to handle
9. Was climate change the cause of the irregular monsoon in India
10. Is our nation prepared to handle national disasters
11.Why do we use cell phones while driving even though it is banned
12.Should newspapers be expected to reveal their sources
13.Should public servants have the right to strike
14.Should tobacco companies be held responsible for smoking related diseases
15. The negative impact of television on children
16. Is reform necessary in judicial nominations
17. Is censorship needed in the entertainment industry
18.Should copyright violations by students be penalized
19.Do Trade Unions have a relevance in the current corporate world
20.Global warming: A need for change
21.Should politics have a minimum qualification
22. Is the Media sensationalism of the 26/11 attacks justified
23. Is the government austerity drive a charade
24.Should individuals with criminal cases be allowed to stand for elections
25. Is a national infrastructure budget key in promoting industrial growth
26. Is our population an asset for growth
27.Should our policies be aimed at improving the quality of life
28. Should the private sector be allowed to participate in Urban development
29. The key to a successful enterprise: Embrace change with Ease?
30. Is telecom connectivity the symbol of an emerging modern, global power?
31. The key to success is promoting indigenous technology: Agree or Disagree
32.Are big dams an equitable venture
33.Communities should be empowered to manage their water resources
34. Do our planners lack foresight
35. Developing renewable energy sources is the means to secure a safe future
36.Encouraging public-private partnership will enable efficient infrastructure
solutions
37. The Maldivian underwater Ministerial summit: A gimmick or wake up call
38. Is it time for reforms to be implemented in the Indian judiciary
39.Will Obama's anti-outsourcing law help US employment
40. Is agricultural output dependent on the vagaries of the monsoon?
41.Zero inflation and the consistent rise in food prices
42.What is the key to improve productivity of farmers?
43.Should films be pure entertainment or be a window to various topical issues
44.Are film festivals the only means to enjoy good cinema?
45.Will peace ever prevail in Pakistan?
46.Are Naxals and Maoists a serious threat to national security?
47.Why do youth avoid the study of pure sciences
48. The study of Social science must be promoted in undergraduate education
49.Can Airlines hold passengers to ransom?
50.Does marketing with a social cause give brands a human face

PS - and after the discussion is complete..we can start posting our GD / MP / PI experiences..which will help oher puys this year and next year alike..

Cheers, this was much needed. Also, if anyone has attended GDs elsewhere it should be brilliant to share their experiences here, and also suggestions for possible topics. That way we can all warm up to what might be in store for us.

so lets start with the first topic.. Academic dishonesty the first step in corruption

i think academic dishonesty can be anything from a thing as small as a child copying a couple of answers off his friend.. to bigger problems like collegs taking bribes and donations to give admissions.. all in all..these small things can lead to bigger problem as children may feel that money and bribery can help u out with anything.. thus paving the way for corruption..

gr8 work adernalinerush...
k i agree with u on ur point..
but den sometimes u need to be dishonest.......
1 -u cant get into big insti like dps or shrekwoods,without DONATING a few lacs,for 100 seats 1000 apply of which 500 r ready to gve donation.....may be 20 seats r fairly booked.so at sme point u hv to dishonest
2- sometimes u r forced to take tution fm a paticular teacher,if u dont u fail....so now u r bond to go to him,probably a case of indirect bribeing in order 2 succed..
all i want to point out is d corruption in society leads to dishonesty which in turn grasps education.......

yes..i agree that corruption in society leads to dishonesty..which affects the education standards..which again goes back n harms the society... like a vicious cycle..

but isnt the fact that people who have money and are ready to shell out big bucks will get the admission, a bit unfair for the people who are poor.. and moreover..some of the students taking admissions thru donation may not be that good in studies..and someone else might be a more deserving candidate for the seat..

i knw that these things happen.. and are pretty common..but the society as a whole can progress a lot more if these things come to a halt..

well i cmplty agree with u ,but den by d time u tak a initiative dey find othr ways of misleading d people thru other means ,time span 4 a genral guy to succed is very small,u cant get into litigation with dos top level insti ..if u dare to do so ,probably u would hv graduated ,thinking of geting into class 1 of a premier school ,thts judicial system 4 u in india...
coming to ur point of society as a whole..........well me n u too r part of dis society along with dos insti who hv political as well as social backing.....well to bring tht change it will take may be 50 more yrs(humare grand sons bh graduade ho chuke honge-just kidding yarrrr)or may be much more dan tht......
so if i m concerned abt my future i hv nthng left other den to be a part of d corrupt society...

no..im not saying that we have to fight the system and defeat it. I know how these things work, theres no point in goin up against these big institutions as well end up wasting our money and time. All im saying is, even if we, a small group of people start refusing to take or give bribes, it will still make an impact. After all change starts from within.. 😉 (too clichd i knw.. :P)

well thts d point i want to make ,a small portion of society cant bring abt a change in todays world,if i n u try to bring abt a change, more dan a chnc we gonaa fail...so untill n unless d whole system unites against dis we cant....well on our part we can only refuse taking bribe,but bribing others is not in our hand,dey ask 4 it u hv to pay ,u dont someone else does...so in order to survive ..u hv to go by d rules n regulation of corrupted society
(unless u have drank a cup of tata tea---chai pio kam karo..hahaaa )

haha..yea..well.. but i still think that if we start refusing to cope up with major issues in academic dishonesty..the awareness will spread and corruption can decrease..

and its not like there are only 2 or 3 people who feel these things shud be stopped.. there are quite a few people who agree on the fact that something needs to be done.. we can only do our part and hope things will fall in place..

gr8 well said...n i believe a gud discussion,well time 2 sleep ,catch with u tommorow on next topic,in fact today...bye gudnight hope to meet u at christ n ya plzz try to call ur fren 4 tht refund stufff..\
gudn8,tk cr.

haha..yea..well.. but i still think that if we start refusing to cope up with major issues in academic dishonesty..the awareness will spread and corruption can decrease..

and its not like there are only 2 or 3 people who feel these things shud be stopped.. there are quite a few people who agree on the fact that something needs to be done.. we can only do our part and hope things will fall in place..

I agree, tho it's cliched, a change from within is the first step to make a bigger change. It's not gonna happen over night, but if say, a few of us go out and voice our opinion in a public place, we'd get some media coverage, and with the media sensationalizing every little detail of every other event, am sure we'd be able to stir up a little brouhaha. With that, more students would come out and support the cause to fight corruption and am sure there are plenty who feel the same way. In a small way thus, we'd get to the larger good, I reckon!

So I guess it's time to start with the next topic then. 😃

Should Academic freedom be permitted in our higher education

I strongly feel there is a need to promote academic freedom, the freedom to learn and to teach and to question what's taught without being penalized for the same. Everyone has the right to education, and academic freedom can't be independent of that right. However, it is rather important to not go overboard and hurt religious sentiments, or stir up other sensitive issues, only to exercise the right and for no real academic value.

hey jincy.. i have a different point of view of wat academic freedom means..it means improving the higher education such that students are given more freedom of selection.. so that the colleges offer a wide variety of degrees ..etc.. n this will help in curbing the brain drain..

adrenalinerush Says
hey jincy.. i have a different point of view of wat academic freedom means..it means improving the higher education such that students are given more freedom of selection.. so that the colleges offer a wide variety of degrees ..etc.. n this will help in curbing the brain drain..

That would essentially mean improving faculty, and putting resources to the right use. But when we say freedom, shouldn't it be freedom of thought and freedom to refute popular belief? It's just a thought. Debatable, of course.
Let's wait for more takes on the topic.

:
academic freedom can't be brought in completely because there are some controversial matters which are avoided.

dude..can u define academic freedom..?

:
academic freedom can't be brought in completely because there are some controversial matters which are avoided.

Hey we need to come to a consensus on what academic freedom is really...so lets decide on that first.
That would essentially mean improving faculty, and putting resources to the right use. But when we say freedom, shouldn't it be freedom of thought and freedom to refute popular belief? It's just a thought. Debatable, of course.
Let's wait for more takes on the topic.

you are interpreting it in a wrong way. Acad. freedom basically means better interaction between the faculty member and the students by making discussions without any fear of loosing the grades etc. Which is indeed so common! If you try to question the faculty and if he/she is not confident about the thing you asked him/her then it might result in some loss to you on two basis:
1. firstly, you wont be able to solve your query
2. secondly, if the teacher feels embarrassed then there is a big chance that you might loose grades in the internal assessment in the exams.

so, in order having freedom of such kind you gotta have experienced and learned members to interact with
jincymat Says
Hey we need to come to a consensus on what academic freedom is really...so lets decide on that first.

i made a point about it in the recent post . check that :cheerio: