Chicago Booth 2010-2012

Hi Puys, I didn’t find a thread for Booth school and that is why I thought of creating one. I am planning to apply to Booth in R1. Who all are applying. Lets get together to help each other. Also, puys already in Booth can help us on the…

Hi Puys,

I didn't find a thread for Booth school and that is why I thought of creating one.

I am planning to apply to Booth in R1. Who all are applying. Lets get together to help each other. Also, puys already in Booth can help us on the application strategy or some tips/tricks.

FAQs - http://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/faq/index.aspx

Deadlines -
Round 1 - Oct 14
Round 2 - Jan 6
Round 3 - Mar 10

Hi Puys,

I didn't find a thread for Booth school and that is why I thought of creating one.

I am planning to apply to Booth in R1. Who all are applying. Lets get together to help each other. Also, puys already in Booth can help us on the application strategy or some tips/tricks.

Deadlines -
Round 1 - Oct 14
Round 2 - Jan 6
Round 3 - Mar 10

Hey Dude,

I am applying in R1 as well....started the app day before...this one is gonna take a while :)...its one of the dream schools :)

how about you??

H

adabass,

whats ur GMAT score and what is ur profile?

i am yet to take up the GMAT test, i plan to do by Octgober 1st week, would that be enough time to apply to Booth?

Yes, this is one of the best schools in the world, isn't it

I started my app some days back, but couldn't continue because of some recent developments. I plan to put the focus back in to this application.

Hey Dude,

I am applying in R1 as well....started the app day before...this one is gonna take a while :)...its one of the dream schools :)

how about you??

H
adabass,

whats ur GMAT score and what is ur profile?

i am yet to take up the GMAT test, i plan to do by Octgober 1st week, would that be enough time to apply to Booth?

I have a 760 GMAT with a 5 year IT work ex. I read their FAQ section and they say that they do not consider late scores. Since it takes about 3 weeks for Pearson to report your score to the school, taking it in first week of Oct may make you a R2 candidate.
Yes, this is one of the best schools in the world, isn't it

I started my app some days back, but couldn't continue because of some recent developments. I plan to put the focus back in to this application.

AAhhhh I know...Job + Apps + personal commitments + and more :)....but its gud fun...i like it... :)..U have a good score on u...something good to start wid...BTW if u wanna get in touch, PM me ur id..thanks

H

Puys,

I am havng real trouble thinking about the second essay -

1. what did you wish you could have retracted
2. when were you surprised by a feedback

I am really not able to think of any instances for any one of these two..

Anyone of the puys going to be at the Chicago Live event on Sep 25 in Chicago? Or the Kellogg event on Sep 28? I am going and we can plan to meet up there...

I visited the Chicago Booth Live event yesterday on campus. It was fabulous with about 100-120 prospective students attending - and some coming from as far as Cairo, Veitnam and Australia. The event was very well organized and I was amazed at the amount of activity at the school. I have blogged about it here - Thoughts and then some more...: Chicago Booth Live - 25 sep 2009

adabass Says
I visited the Chicago Booth Live event yesterday on campus. It was fabulous with about 100-120 prospective students attending - and some coming from as far as Cairo, Veitnam and Australia. The event was very well organized and I was amazed at the amount of activity at the school. I have blogged about it here - Thoughts and then some more...: Chicago Booth Live - 25 sep 2009

Since you had your cam on you, how about sharing a few pics

Yup :). I actually was able to take a few pics but didnt take a lot as Tim told me that he didnt know whether I am allowed to or not. I dont have the data transfer cable with me right now, I left it at home. darn! So once I get back, I will upload.

hi guys,

has anyone attended the Chicago Booth info session held in bangalore, mum or delhi? please let me know, as your suggestions could be very helpful.

T

Hey Ashish,

If you have a question you can try posting it here and we can brainstorm on it or if someone can answer they can answer it here 😃

hello guys, i am appearing for the GMAT on Nov. 12 2009 and am looking at either going for a MBA or MFin course. i would like to know my prospects based on my profile thru ur expert guidance.

Acads: BTech in IT in 2007 with 77%.
Work Ex: 3.5 years (1 years in india as a consultant, started a small firm undertaking outsourcing.
2.5 years as business consultant in Denmark in the healthcare and shipping industries, worked for A. P. Mller, the largest shipping company in the world). Knowledge of various shipping activities including shipbroking, container chartering, shipbuilding etc.

Can speak Danish (degree from language school) apart from English, Hindi, Telugu and Tamil.

Extra curriculars: i am good at singing (many foreign languages)
have travelled extensively, over 30 countries including the North Pole.
Will be going to Antarctica in Nov. 2009 for 15 days as part of a climate change expedition.
Member of AIESEC, World's largest youth organization and have been part of their numerous international conferences.

I have recently been laid off from my current work due to the financial crisis and have decided to use this time to prepare for the GMAT. i would request your guidance and advise on the prospects.

Current GMAT score range in practice tests - 680-700. My career interests post MBA are in Strategy consulting and entrepreneurship. Based on these criteria, i am looking at applying to any 6 out of the univerities mentioned below:

dream - harvard, wharton.
ambitious - MIT, CGSB.
practical - LBS, INSEAD.
Probable - Oxford & Duke.

regards,
anant

P.S. @moderator: i am posting my query in multiple threads. hope its fine.

Puys,

I am havng real trouble thinking about the second essay -

1. what did you wish you could have retracted
2. when were you surprised by a feedback

I am really not able to think of any instances for any one of these two..

Anyone of the puys going to be at the Chicago Live event on Sep 25 in Chicago? Or the Kellogg event on Sep 28? I am going and we can plan to meet up there...

I ran into the same problem....but may be you are only thinking about a failure or setback per se. Its somethin you couuld have done differently.. I am sure you could have done many things differently....

consider this outline...

circumstances that led you to that task/vision
what you did
what did not go as planned or beautifully
what could have been done (your expected outcome)
what did you learn from it..
did you implemented your new plan....corrected your mistake?

hope that helps!

M

This does help. I had started thinking on the same lines that a failure or mistake is very subjective. We need to mould that so that we can show the points that you mentioned above. Also, I recently remembered a very non-professional story that showcases what I wish I could have retracted or not done. It takes a lot of digging up and thinking.

Also for the second I have come up with something - Its more of a positive feedback than a negative one and yes, I was surprised - But I dont think I can speak 750 words on just that.

So just contemplating the two. My app process is lagging behind. I had planned to submit by Oct 2, but it does not seem so now.

BTW did you know that 60% of Round 1 applications were submitted on the last day. 😃

Puys, updated the blog with pictures.

Hi Guys,
Planning to apply to Chicago Booth R2.....Also thinking of Kenan Flagler.....

Quick Profile
work-ex - 4+ yrs ( Consultant Supply Chain)
Acads - Decent(IIT Kharagpur/good 10'th n 12'th grades)
EC - Decent (No master of any particular.....plenty of all-rounder awards tho)
GMAT - 750

Puys,

Coming back to the 2nd essay question - "Do you wish you could have retracted something? when did you realize it and how did you handle the situation?"

So I am describing the situation, the mistake and what I did to handle it. Now, naturally i thought that I should write about the learnings - but its not asked in the question.

What do you think about this - should we write the learnings or just only answer what is asked?

Puys,

Coming back to the 2nd essay question - "Do you wish you could have retracted something? when did you realize it and how did you handle the situation?"

So I am describing the situation, the mistake and what I did to handle it. Now, naturally i thought that I should write about the learnings - but its not asked in the question.

What do you think about this - should we write the learnings or just only answer what is asked?

Though it's not explicitly asked, I think the learnings will form the heart of the essay, something that the AdCom wants to hear from you. The realization and corrective action plan pertains to the situation you put forth, but does not indicate your takeaway from the episode. 'Your learnings' will fill that void and ensure that you will not repeat the same in future.

My 2 p