Chances at top-15

Hi folks, I had this weird feeling about posting this message a little too early. I’m targetting fall 07 and would be applying next year. I had been reading lots of posts and had a dilemma regarding various issues. Cutting short, …

Hi folks,

I had this weird feeling about posting this message a little too early.

I'm targetting fall 07 and would be applying next year.
I had been reading lots of posts and had a dilemma regarding various issues.

Cutting short, let me put my profile:
Indian IT Male - I know that's too common... but that's what I am
Age - 23
Work experience - 2 years when I will apply. (too little) but can show significant qualities.
GMAT - 680 (dicey range)
TOEFL - yet to take.
Acads - I converted and roughly GPA is 3.6 to 3.7
ECA - Tech quiz and similar contests during college. Good public speaker.

The problem that I'm facing is that I find too many 720+ GMAT getting admits (Indians) at top-15 and many of them getting rejects at top-10. I'm aiming at top-15. Would my 680 be SERIOUS trouble?

I have too low work experience in number as against 4 or 6 years that many SEEM to have. Would this be a tough challenge for me?

Would a career change at this point of time help or would it create more issues? I'm considering a jump.

What more can I do to improve my profile?

Hi folks,

I had this weird feeling about posting this message a little too early.

I'm targetting fall 07 and would be applying next year.
I had been reading lots of posts and had a dilemma regarding various issues.

Cutting short, let me put my profile:
Indian IT Male - I know that's too common... but that's what I am
Age - 23
Work experience - 2 years when I will apply. (too little) but can show significant qualities.
GMAT - 680 (dicey range)
TOEFL - yet to take.
Acads - I converted and roughly GPA is 3.6 to 3.7
ECA - Tech quiz and similar contests during college. Good public speaker.

The problem that I'm facing is that I find too many 720+ GMAT getting admits (Indians) at top-15 and many of them getting rejects at top-10. I'm aiming at top-15. Would my 680 be SERIOUS trouble?

I have too low work experience in number as against 4 or 6 years that many SEEM to have. Would this be a tough challenge for me?

Would a career change at this point of time help or would it create more issues? I'm considering a jump.

What more can I do to improve my profile?

Dude...
I have a similar profile like you and infact was thinking of applying this year itself.. i hope youll can give me some serious advice based on my profile.
My profile:
B.E.(Computers)'04, Mumbai
Acads:65% aggregate..i dunno wat GPA that works out to...but by Mumbai standards tis above 3.5.
Work-ex:- 1 year in ICICI Bank..and yeah it was not IT related...it was hard core banking with managerial...have learnt a lot from this experience....
Since then(4 months) working in a private investment firm(a lucky brk and my interest in finance) and now will be starting my own commodities trading firm...
GMAT:680/4.5
TOEFL:280/5.5
Extra Curricular:Something to write bout here...was the Finance Head in College...organised various tech fests and industrial trip too....

Well my dilemma is whether to send my apps in round 2 of some schools in top 30 range this year or wait and apply next year in top 15....
what are my chances of getting in the top 15 next year???..i know that it'll depend a lot on my applications but what do you guys think realistically based on my current profile.
ive heard mixed responses frm ppl....some say i shud wait 1 year and still others say that 1 more year doesnt make any difference....(though i personally feel that 1 year in icici has made a lot of difference to me )
Should i take a shot this year or wait for 1 more year.

Regards,
sumit.
I find too many 720+ GMAT getting admits (Indians) at top-15

Thats interesting. I thought this profile never gets admit easily in Top 15. Me too has similar profile. IT 2 yrs, good acads