CFA vs MBA

hi , I just read the quality adjectives associated with CFA and with MBA we all know… anybody having an idea what is better and how to go about CFA…Its not the CFA from ICFAI but the International CFA

hi ,

I just read the quality adjectives associated with CFA and with MBA we all know...
anybody having an idea what is better and how to go about CFA....Its not the CFA from ICFAI but the International CFA

mate check out this thread
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/anyone-for-cfa-of-aimrus-25005391

cheers,
sumit

hi ,

I just read the quality adjectives associated with CFA and with MBA we all know...
anybody having an idea what is better and how to go about CFA....Its not the CFA from ICFAI but the International CFA

refer to www.aimr.org

and i believe its CFA and MBA and not CFA or MBA.

Hello!

You do not have to choose between an MBA and CFA. There are MBA programs where you can do both at the same time. For example, University of Wisconsin's Applied Security Analysis Program (ASAP) MBA program (Earn your MBA and CFA designation while managing portfolios at the Stephen L. Hawk Center for Applied Security Analysis) is a CFA Program Partner.

There are 30-40 CFA partners in the world and the ASAP is a partner CFA Program Partners) where students actually manage real money (the ASAP was founded in 1970 and students now manage > $43 million).

A partnership indicates that the university is of world standing and that its program covers 70% or more of the CFA Curriculum (all three levels) plus the ethics sections. Job placement from programs, such as these, is good (see Job Placement in the Investment Industry - Stephen L. Hawk Center for Applied Security Analysis - Job Placement).

Best wishes,

Kevin Spellman, CFA
Director, Hawk Center for Applied Security Analysis
608-262-9039

Now that the CFAI has been directed by Gauhati High Court to stop taking in new applications(basically curbing its operations) whats the way out for Indian students wanting to pursue a globally recognised CFA ??
Any idea if CFAI is fighting the case aggressively ??

Hi!

My understanding is the the CFAI infringed upon trademark of the CFA Institute. I do not believe the CFAI is in ANY WAY associated with the CFA Institute, which is the gold standard.

The CFA Institute offers exams throughout the world. Check out the website, CFA Institute Home. I am sure that there is a test-taking center in India.

The CFA Curriculum is quite rigorous, but it is very good. Well, the entire investment research industry is highly competitive (and highly paid) (at least in the US).

Good luck!

Kevin

Hi KEVIN,

When I mentioned CFAI I had the CFA Institute in mind n not ICFAI , hyderabad.
I do know about the rigour n acceptability of the course, hence the anxiety over the future of the course it offered in India.

Regards
-Arijit.

Hello!

You do not have to choose between an MBA and CFA. There are MBA programs where you can do both at the same time. For example, University of Wisconsin's Applied Security Analysis Program (ASAP)
Best wishes,

Kevin Spellman, CFA
Director, Hawk Center for Applied Security Analysis

Here are a few thing which illustrates violation of PG rules:

First of all you have replied to to a two year old query.

Secondly, Your post contains you contact details.

Thirdly, in a way you are trying to promote your college i.e. surrogate advertising.

Actually, I was trying to be unbiased by providing a link to all of the CFA Partners. I believe my response was also responsive to the question on CFA vs MBA. There is no reason someone has to choose - there are programs that offer both - and I think people would really like to know this information (I know I would).

Is there a way I can take off my contact info? I want to follow the rules.

To Femions:

I am not aware of the CFA exams not being offered in India. This would surprise me. You could always contact the CFA Institute to find out. The CFA Institute is very responsive to requests for information.

With proper studying, obtaining the CFA designation is doable despite its rigor. I also found it worthwhile for my personal investing as well. Most important, even if you have proper schooling and the exam is easy, it is great to study the ethics sections (not normally taught in school). Ethics is such a big problem in this field that is based on trust that it is very good to know what is ethical and what is not.

Good luck!

refer to CFA Institute Home

and i believe its CFA and MBA and not CFA or MBA.

very well said , infact many students take up the cfa exam (AIMR CFA) in their first year at the b-school especially those who want to pursue their mba in finance.Definately cfa can be a good value addition to them.
I am a software engineer in Bangalore with 2 years
work-ex. I was planning to take the GMAT by August
this year, but some days before, i came across this
CFA stuff and found it interesting. I would like to
know more about it. Is it really useful and how is it
better than an MBA? secondly, i also want to know if
i should join any institute which is a cfa partner,
and which would cover up 70% of the cfa CBOK and how
useful will that be? Should i take up both the
degrees? I also found that University of North
Carolina--Chapel Hill (Kenan-Flagler) which is one of
the top20 in US provides the MBA degree and is also a
CFA partner? Other institutes which are CFA partners,
gives the MS or MSc degree.
Please help me.

Thnx all.....

I am a software engineer in Bangalore with 2 years
work-ex. I was planning to take the GMAT by August
this year, but some days before, i came across this
CFA stuff and found it interesting. I would like to
know more about it. Is it really useful and how is it
better than an MBA? secondly, i also want to know if
i should join any institute which is a cfa partner,
and which would cover up 70% of the cfa CBOK and how
useful will that be? Should i take up both the
degrees? I also found that University of North
Carolina--Chapel Hill (Kenan-Flagler) which is one of
the top20 in US provides the MBA degree and is also a
CFA partner? Other institutes which are CFA partners,
gives the MS or MSc degree.
Please help me.

Hi Rajesh,
There are many uni's having partnership programmes with the CFA institute.
Click on the link below to get more info about them;

CFA Program Partners

The CFA course is still offered in India, One can always register it from India and get the course materials at their place.Iits just that the CFA now doesn't have any test-center in India, so one would have to travel abroad for taking the test. For me location like Kathmandu is fine... :angel:

hi..
im doing mba from icfai chennai....

im bit confused bout two career options... i shud go for derivatives market of stocks or should go for amfi test(mutual funds.)..

plz...... give some suggestion

Hi,
I am working in an IT bellwether :w00t: for the past 1 yr. Graduated in 2007 with a B.E. I would like to pursue a career in finance. Right now, I am pretty confused if I should consider CAT 2k8 or register for the CFA. Will CFA help me in my long term career goals??
Also will it be wiser to finish the MBA from an Indian B-school and thn think abt CFA.

Can sumone please help me here?!

Hi,
I am working in an IT bellwether :w00t: for the past 1 yr. Graduated in 2007 with a B.E. I would like to pursue a career in finance. Right now, I am pretty confused if I should consider CAT 2k8 or register for the CFA. Will CFA help me in my long term career goals??
Also will it be wiser to finish the MBA from an Indian B-school and thn think abt CFA.

Can sumone please help me here?!

hiii..
since you want a career in finance . cfa is the best option. but as you hav a work exp from it industry.. going for mba finace s not a bad option either. i tink you should take a decision depending on where you want to end up say by 3-4 years time.

if you are looking for cfa from icfai do contact me.

regards
jovin

Hello Puys,

I cleared my BBA in finance in the year 2007. After that I tried for CAT but i couldn't succeed. Now i want to pursue CFA (International).

So in this regard I just wanted to know certain things about CFA:

1) If its possible to manage L1 in December '08 along with a job.
2) Job prospects after Clearing L1
3) Job prospects after Clearing L2

Seniors plz help

Thanks in advance

Regards
Pankaj Goel