CFA Level 1 December 2013

This thread is created to give platform to all CFA Level 1 candidates who are going to give exam in December 2013 to share their experience, study materials, problems and others with each other.

This thread is created to give platform to all CFA Level 1 candidates who are going to give exam in December 2013 to share their experience, study materials, problems and others with each other.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/452941491442420/members/

i already bought schweser notes...let the prep begins.......anyone who had already cleared cfa l1 or started prep.....please provide the strategies or methods to study in a much more detailed manner

Lets start out with some healthy discussion regarding exam pattern and preparation to be done.

Hello there,

I cleared my l1 in Dec 12. it was a great experience.

@TONYMBA - so you have 3 months buddy. 3M= 90 D. Prepare a calendar.

are you from finance background? please let me know your background.

Don't worry, with enough preparation and practice you are going to nail the exam!

Let me know. What would you like to know? I will try my best to help you.

Cheers

@mey4747 : i have btech background....m going to join a job at the month of june or july.....CAT prep is going on side by side(3rd attempt)
Reason to do cfa:
1.i always had interest in finance(wrong decision by me to take up btech)
2.i just dont want to clear cfa exams....i want to learn as more as possible
3.i will be giving cfa l1 exam on dec 13
4.already started ethics and fra simultaneously from last week(a lot of spare time now in my hands)

so, give me tips how to cover all topics in a much more detailed manner rather than reading according to exam perspective :)
@TONYMBA

Hi there,

so you are taking it in Dec. Why not in June?
@mey4747 said:
@TONYMBAHi there,so you are taking it in Dec. Why not in June?
CAT prep will be hampered...now is the time for me to strengthen my CAT prep and rectify my past mistakes 😃 as well as make my basics strong in cfa topics

@TONYMBA

I understand. Well then a wise thing would be to start with quantitative techniques! Since you are preparing for CAT you are well poised to digest Quant content.

You have solid time in your hands. Next 4 months and 18 days before your job will be the most productive. Consider splitting your time evenly between CAT and CFA.

I will tell you the approach that was followed in my class. 70% students passed in exam. half of them were working.

my tutor, a charterholder, started with fra+ quant, then taught fixed income, corporate finance, equity, economics, derivatives, AI, PM, ethics. Keep ethics in the end.

Study for CFA 2-3 hours a day. Do CAT rest of the time. Do CFA in morning. That's when your mind is fresh.

Stick to curriculum, since you have time. After every chapter, revise the LOS, and then do examples. As you study, do the solved examples. This will enable you to be confident before attempting un-solved questions.

if you do so, then no need to read Schweser notes. Read them as revision. However, don't just read and learn, solve questions at the end of every topic in schweser.

curriculum will be main actor, and schweser will be the supporting role in your case.

Aim to finish curriculum+ questions in curriculum by August. Sep- Oct- Nov- Keep these months for revision of curriculum, qbank, mock exams. Do Q bank as you revise each topic. this way you master every LOS. And moreover you will go wrong in some questions that will enable you to go back and read that topic one more time. After that, do mock exams during last 2 weeks. Keep the habit of solving questions in 1.5 min. Practice this when you do the Q-bank. Q-bank is awesome. So do try to do as many questions from Q-bank. If you are hungry then do the entire thing!

Oh, about ethics, read the curriculum book 2 times in the last one month. Read once in advance to get a hang of it. It's pretty interesting. I am asking you to follow this approach for ethics because the answer choices are confusing. With mastery of the content (3 complete readings) you will be able to solve questions in ethics with accuracy.

Learn the calculator in advance. It's simple to use. Use youtube for help. use financial calculators while solving problems. This way you develop practice. Don't use any other calculator.

Remember, along with problems, theory questions can be asked from any line in the book. They will ask you minute things like Which of the following is least likely to be blah blah.. So, revise on time.

Any more doubts, let me know. happy to help.

happy studying!

cheers

any1 from ..............."CHANDIGARH"

GIVE ME CALL AND WELL STUDY TOGETHER
JAS(nine zero four one six two six seven double five)

Hi All,

Hope you're all doing good.

I am planning for Dec 13 attempt. I have not registered for the exam , will do that next month. Is there a way I can get my hands on the latest study material and start studying?

@mey4747 Hi Amey, your inputs will be valuable.

Also, is anyone based out of Mumbai?

Look forward to having healthy discussions.

Cheers

i wl be giving cfa l1 this december , plzz help me hw many hrs i need to study evryday , i get only 2-3 rs free time evryday

Hey Just wanted to ask whether Questions given in Schweser notes are Actually of the difficulty level of the Questions that come in CFA Level 1 exam?They seem a bit easy so was confused..Pls reply and if it isnt so then pls also give name of the Publications that i should refer..

Hello Everybody,

I am planning to take CFA level 1 in Dec'13. Could you please suggest me how to start preparing for it. What all material do I need to get my hands on, and how much time should I be devoting everyday.
Background: B.E in Electronics & Telecomm.
Thanks a lot.

Hi Everyone,

I am taking up level 1 in Dec'13 . Can anyone suggest the exact place in Mumbai from where i can purchase Schweser notes copies.

Can anyone please tell me what is all that is included in the Schweser notes that OM xerox center sends you? They said 7 books + cd.I have ebooks of Schweser notes which are total 5 in no.

@mey4747 Hi there ... jst gt a ques... m current working in a PSB as an Asst. Manager & will like to go for CFA level 1 in dec-13 ... m really confused abt the wrk ex they r asking for ... will my experiance of branch banking be hlpful ?
@Rising666 said:
Can anyone please tell me what is all that is included in the Schweser notes that OM xerox center sends you? They said 7 books + cd.I have ebooks of Schweser notes which are total 5 in no.
The seven buks include the 5 buks that u are taking abt(covering the concepts and exercises) while the last two buks are question banks consisting of question banks..6 tests..one morning session and one afternun session i.e 12 papers in ol....
the cd contains the LOS theories in short synopsis..u can also give sectional tests..and chapter based/module based tests for self evaluation..the standard of questions are quite gud!!!
@frozenthoughts said:
The seven buks include the 5 buks that u are taking abt(covering the concepts and exercises) while the last two buks are question banks consisting of question banks..6 tests..one morning session and one afternun session i.e 12 papers in ol....the cd contains the LOS theories in short synopsis..u can also give sectional tests..and chapter based/module based tests for self evaluation..the standard of questions are quite gud!!!
Thats the reply I wanted..cleared all my doubts....can you tell me hows the quality of print of OM xerox notes? They asking for money beforehand...can we trust the quality?