CET Paper Writing Strategies and Techniques

Mock tests have started. So it would be apt to start a new thread with regards to strategies of writing mock tests and discussing methods of solving questions that can make us faster in the CET exam. I will guide you through ways and methods …

Mock tests have started. So it would be apt to start a new thread with regards to strategies of writing mock tests and discussing methods of solving questions that can make us faster in the CET exam.

I will guide you through ways and methods of finding out strategies that you can apply in your tests.

Just to introduce myself further:
My 1st CET attempt was in 1998 where I stood Rank 3 and got into JB.
From then on I have been regularly following CET papers. Started giving CET exam again a couple of years back. Stood Rk 2 in 2010 with 178/200 and Rk 1 in 2011 with 172/200.

I have been a DTE panelist for CET GDPI.

Currently I am a visiting faculty at S.P. Jain Institute of Management and Research.

CET11 Paper Analysis: http://www.time4education.com/Maharashtra_MBACET2011_Analysis.htm
Facebook for CET Strategies: www.facebook.com/mbacet

CET is not only about solving the paper, but it is the right balance of accuracy and speed. Right strategy can make a huge difference in your marks. It can add upto 10 or 20 marks in your scores. Let us all discuss the various strategies of solving the CET paper.

Thanks Sir for starting the thread..!!
Sir I have given last 4 year papers..Here Are my Stats..
2007:122
2008:137
2009:144
2010:128

Sir , I have noticed one thing that I am getting stuck in Visual Reasoning
Scoring 18,19,19,18 out of 30 ... (very less.. :-()

Soon, I am going to switch over papers based on current pattern,till then I wana devote some time to few past Mocks that I have.. Hope , it helps.. !!

Correct me if I am wrong anywhere...!! Assist as much and as far as possible..

Thanks..

Thanks Sir for starting the thread..!!
Sir I have given last 4 year papers..Here Are my Stats..
2007:122
2008:137
2009:144
2010:128

Sir , I have noticed one thing that I am getting stuck in Visual Reasoning
Scoring 18,19,19,18 out of 30 ... (very less.. :-()

Soon, I am going to switch over papers based on current pattern,till then I wana devote some time to few past Mocks that I have.. Hope , it helps.. !!

Correct me if I am wrong anywhere...!! Assist as much and as far as possible..

Thanks..

You are doing well. But do analyse the paper that you have solved. Share your strategies of attempting the paper that you have solved and then we can discuss the best method.

Every student has to attempt the paper based on his strength and weakness. There is no one way that fits all. Write the papers analyse if the strategy has worked for you and then try a different way of writing the test. You can learn a lot just by experimentation.

One of the strategies followed by a beginner to write a test is to write 1 to 200 questions in a sequence. The problem with this method is that if you are not able to attempt all questions, you are bound to leave the last questions in the exam. If they are sitters, you will miss out on sitters.
This strategy helps student who do not have any preference for any single section and are equally good in all the given section. It saves the time of searching for different type of questions in the exam. For students who are following this strategy, would recommend you to try out a different strategy. Usually when you try out different strategies and analyse the same then you will realise what best works for you.

I will put up more strategies. But do write the strategies that you are following in the exam.

One of the strategies followed by a beginner to write a test is to write 1 to 200 questions in a sequence. The problem with this method is that if you are not able to attempt all questions, you are bound to leave the last questions in the exam. If they are sitters, you will miss out on sitters.
This strategy helps student who do not have any preference for any single section and are equally good in all the given section. It saves the time of searching for different type of questions in the exam. For students who are following this strategy, would recommend you to try out a different strategy. Usually when you try out different strategies and analyse the same then you will realise what best works for you.

I will put up more strategies. But do write the strategies that you are following in the exam.

the missing sitters thing happened with me, dont miss out on sitters guys :nono:

Statement:
You are hereby appointed as a programmer with a probation period of one year and your performance will be reviewed at the end of the period for confirmation " - A line in appointment letter..

Assumption :
1. The performance of an individual generally is not known at the time of appointment offer.
2. Generally, an individual tries to prove his worth in the probation period.

My answer is Only A. I am not getting hypothetical about the scenario but usually the person is not known at the time of appointment. B is not thr ripe opt as it is taking a GENERAL opinion, of which we are not sure...

My answer is wrong!! Help..!!

I have solved one mock today and scored 102/185. It was tad difficult..!! How much time should I devote for analyzing the paper because I take 3/3.5 hrs( with break :biggrin:) I think I am not completely utilizing my time and rather extending without improving...leading me no where.. 😞

:-(:-(

Statement:
You are hereby appointed as a programmer with a probation period of one year and your performance will be reviewed at the end of the period for confirmation " - A line in appointment letter..

Assumption :
1. The performance of an individual generally is not known at the time of appointment offer.

My answer is Only A. I am not getting hypothetical about the scenario but usually the person is not known at the time of appointment. B is not thr ripe opt as it is taking a GENERAL opinion, of which we are not sure...

My answer is wrong!! Help..!!

I have solved one mock today and scored 102/185. It was tad difficult..!! How much time should I devote for analyzing the paper because I take 3/3.5 hrs( with break :biggrin:) I think I am not completely utilizing my time and rather extending without improving...leading me no where.. 😞

:-(:-(

If 185 is the proper attempt then a score of 102 is quite low. In that case you need to focus on accuracy. If your accuracy is more than 80% then focus on speed. If our accuracy is less than 66% then focus on accuracy. You need to balance on both counts - speed as well as accuracy.

Analysis could take a long time or short time depending on what level you are on. If you are already scoring very high scores then you may not need too much time for analysis as you already know most of the questions. Else you will have to spend considerable time for analysis which could last for upto a day.

When you analyse, look at each section separately. Both in terms of accuracy and speed. Look at both the wrong and the right questions. Most of the students do a mistake of only looking at the wrong questions. You should look at the right questions to see if you can get a better method than what you have already used. End of the day you will be solving the questions you have solved right in the exam. If you can build up your speed in these questions, you can save time and use it to solve more questions.

Hail Sir..!!
I overlooked it.. 😞
I used to see both wrong and right answers but never differentiated the speed$accuracy and sectional performance..I had messed up all the papers just because of this..!!
I have given one more mock and scored very bad..Again U will say "a low score " 😞 (110/200)
Will soon get into 140's ...
Thanks ...

Statement:

Assumption :

My first thought was A. But looking at your answer, I had to reconsider .
B seems unrelated. If you think about A, how will an individual land up a job unless he performs well?
What is the OA?
I guess I would have went with only A in the exam...Cheers!!

I used to think like that and attempt the paper according to my strengths and not sequentially. But somehow, even though my accuracy was good I just couldn't maximize my attempts. Most of the times I would get flustered as to what to do and what not.
My score in 2010 was - 154
and 2011 - 128
I would say I missed out on solving more because of my own stupidity. Got bogged down by some horrendous question selections and had to pay for it.

So this time I decided to adopt a different strategy and solve the paper sequentially and I guess this works for me. You just go on solving the paper and the moment you hit something which looks like a time trap, skip it. This ensures that you don't lose valuable time and also sitters. The moment you are done with the 200th question, you can go back to all that are left. Simple yet effective.
We had a mock today and I could attempt all the 200 questions with an expected score of 165.
I don't say it works for everyone. But maybe it's worth a shot.
Suggestions are welcome...Cheers!!

Hi, puys this is question from TIME material. I am not getting the explanation they have given. Can anyone please tell me how to solve this problem.
In a survey conducted,it was found that ,of the 100 persons surveyed, 20 persons do not read any of the three magazines-B.W,B.I and B.T. 45 people read B.W,40 people read B.I, and 45 people read B.T.What is maximum possible number of people who read exactly one magazine?

seniors please suggest some material for verbal reasoning.
Thanks

Can some body tell me diffe. between implicit , inference, conclusion and assumption for a given quetion. i get confused about these alot.

Mock tests have started. So it would be apt to start a new thread with regards to strategies of writing mock tests and discussing methods of solving questions that can make us faster in the CET exam.

I will guide you through ways and methods of finding out strategies that you can apply in your tests.

Just to introduce myself further:
My 1st CET attempt was in 1998 where I stood Rank 3 and got into JB.
From then on I have been regularly following CET papers. Started giving CET exam again a couple of years back. Stood Rk 2 in 2010 with 178/200 and Rk 1 in 2011 with 172/200.

I have been a DTE panelist for CET GDPI.

Currently I am a visiting faculty at S.P. Jain Institute of Management and Research.

Hi,

I am an OMS student & looking forward to give CET This time for JB only. Had given CET 2 years back & had a fine score...not that good, not tat bad ...but still since i was looking only for JB, it wasn't worth it.

I am pretty much aware of the course structure but still stand confused on how to begin & where to begin from because prep for CET is way lil different than the rest of the national exms.

For study material, i reckon, covering basics from all tha material i have from CAT should suffice? And for Non verbal & verbal reasonsing...R S AGGRWAL .....but apart from these two...i wanted to know some thing bout the MOCK preparations...like from when to begin & how to begin...n what should be the AIM to reach on 2 months down the lane for Jb strictly...& how to improve upon that?

If you could throw some light on this, should def help a lot. And yes i am looking for some CET specific training/mock material ....can u help with that?

Thanks a lot in advance.
I used to think like that and attempt the paper according to my strengths and not sequentially. But somehow, even though my accuracy was good I just couldn't maximize my attempts. Most of the times I would get flustered as to what to do and what not.
My score in 2010 was - 154
and 2011 - 128
I would say I missed out on solving more because of my own stupidity. Got bogged down by some horrendous question selections and had to pay for it.

So this time I decided to adopt a different strategy and solve the paper sequentially and I guess this works for me. You just go on solving the paper and the moment you hit something which looks like a time trap, skip it. This ensures that you don't lose valuable time and also sitters. The moment you are done with the 200th question, you can go back to all that are left. Simple yet effective.
We had a mock today and I could attempt all the 200 questions with an expected score of 165.
I don't say it works for everyone. But maybe it's worth a shot.
Suggestions are welcome...Cheers!!

Good way. This method does help for students who attempt a lot of questions and score well. But if your attempts are not high or scores are low then this method will not be the best. Anyways, keep experimenting with other strategies as well. You will come to know what is good only if you experiment.
Hi,

I am an OMS student & looking forward to give CET This time for JB only. Had given CET 2 years back & had a fine score...not that good, not tat bad ...but still since i was looking only for JB, it wasn't worth it.

I am pretty much aware of the course structure but still stand confused on how to begin & where to begin from because prep for CET is way lil different than the rest of the national exms.

For study material, i reckon, covering basics from all tha material i have from CAT should suffice? And for Non verbal & verbal reasonsing...R S AGGRWAL .....but apart from these two...i wanted to know some thing bout the MOCK preparations...like from when to begin & how to begin...n what should be the AIM to reach on 2 months down the lane for Jb strictly...& how to improve upon that?

If you could throw some light on this, should def help a lot. And yes i am looking for some CET specific training/mock material ....can u help with that?

Thanks a lot in advance.

CET questions are quite different from that of CAT with respect to Math, Logic, Visuals (not there in CAT), DI. You can do your basics of Math from CAT books. As you mentioned, Verbal and Non verbal reasoning book of RS Aggarwal is a good base. You can also refer to DI book of the same author. Apart from that you can solve mocks. You may need to join more than 1 mock test series to as you will require ample practice on mocks. What is more important than writing mocks is to analyse the same. As you are in Delhi, I doubt there will be any CET specific training out there. But you can order for correspondence test series from some of the classes which do provide the same.
You can start with writing a mock so that you know where you stand and then analyse your strengths and weakness in order to improve your scores. Dont keep scores as your target as the scores may differ based on difficulty level of the test. Your ranks or percentiles would be a better judge on whether you are improving or not.
CET questions are quite different from that of CAT with respect to Math, Logic, Visuals (not there in CAT), DI. You can do your basics of Math from CAT books. As you mentioned, Verbal and Non verbal reasoning book of RS Aggarwal is a good base. You can also refer to DI book of the same author. Apart from that you can solve mocks. You may need to join more than 1 mock test series to as you will require ample practice on mocks. What is more important than writing mocks is to analyse the same. As you are in Delhi, I doubt there will be any CET specific training out there. But you can order for correspondence test series from some of the classes which do provide the same.
You can start with writing a mock so that you know where you stand and then analyse your strengths and weakness in order to improve your scores. Dont keep scores as your target as the scores may differ based on difficulty level of the test. Your ranks or percentiles would be a better judge on whether you are improving or not.

Thanks heaps for your reply....Actually i am not in Delhi currently....m working out of Bangalore. So in this reg, do you suggest joining some names of good mock test series?

Hi Patrick Sir,
Few days back, I gave your 1st cet mock and found it to be very much similar to cet 2011 paper(pattern as well as difficulty level)!!!got 102/170(genuine attempts arnd 135),also came little late,so few mins lost(not an excuse though)!!but nevertheless,135 attempts is quite less I feel,could have done better,few silly mistakes also:) I went about my paper sequentially,skipping tough ones.Since,I am not that good in verbal,thought of solving it at the end,but the strategy backfired,coz when I analysed the paper later, the passages were quite doable and less time-consuming.Maybe NMAT fever is still there in me!!!:)
But,on a serious note,I would like to increase my count of attempts atleast by 20 more in 2nd test(will come well before time for the test :)).Sequential strategy helped me,but selection of questions was the concern,so verbal section will be included next time arnd in my seq. strategy.Any suggestions will be highly recommended.......