CAT practice test by PROMETRIC discussions

Well saw some interesting questions on the practice test,lets discuss them here Also pour your thoughts on the interface,and what has changed. Here i go, (1+tan 1)(1+tan2)…(1+tan45)=? 1.45 2.2^45 3.2^23 4.2^22

Well saw some interesting questions on the practice test,lets discuss them here
Also pour your thoughts on the interface,and what has changed.

Here i go,

(1+tan 1)(1+tan2)......(1+tan45)=?

2.2^45
3.2^23
4.2^22

I supposed, trigonometry is not in the CAT syllabus. Still they hv asked it in practice test. Will this year CAT contain higher maths questions?? God knows what will happen to commerce/arts students then....

trignometry is not in cat syllabus :shocked:.

Here i go,

2.2^45
3.2^23
4.2^22

nice qn..ans is 2^23..

well nybody got d logic for the 1st question(in prometric test that line graph one)?
if yes den plz share.....

Here i go,

2.2^45
3.2^23
4.2^22

The answer is 3: 2^23

This can be solved as, group all the terms whose angles sum upto 45 as
(1+tan1)(1+tan44) (1+tan2)(1+tan43)...(1+tan45)

So we will have 22 such terms and (1+tan45) at the end

Now apply the now (1+tanx)(1+tan(45-x))= 2 (Using the tan(a-b) formula)

So the answer will be 2^23

PS: Do we have a syllabus for CAT?. I don't think so. Its just 10th Std Maths and i remember having learnt this formula in Class X

Yeah...trigonometry has not been asked for last 7-8 CATs. I also faintly remember , i had learned it in 10th. But that was some 6 or 7 years ago and remember nothing as of now. Does that mean i need to learn again ? 😞 Or can i skip it?

A sphere with a diameter of 6 cm is dropped in a right circular cylindrical vessel partially filled with water. The diameter of the cylindrical vessel is 12 cm. If the sphere is completely submerged in water, how much will the level of water rise in the cylindrical vessel?

1.1 cm
2.2cm
3.3 cm
4.4 cm

I think this is an age old q,but a nice one .

Also whats the answer for the PJ?

The answer is 3: 2^23

This can be solved as, group all the terms whose angles sum upto 45 as
(1+tan1)(1+tan44) (1+tan2)(1+tan43)...(1+tan45)

So we will have 22 such terms and (1+tan45) at the end

Now apply the now (1+tanx)(1+tan(45-x))= 2 (Using the tan(a-b) formula)

So the answer will be 2^23

PS: Do we have a syllabus for CAT?. I don't think so. Its just 10th Std Maths and i remember having learnt this formula in Class X

can u tell me what the formula is?I can't remember.
theairbender Says
can u tell me what the formula is?I can't remember.

Tan (A-B) = {Tan(A)-Tan(B)}/

I think this is an age old q,but a nice one .

Also whats the answer for the PJ?

12345 is the answer of PJ..
For (1+tan1)(1+tan2)..(1+tan45)
Chalo ek educated guess
Read the Question setters mind and see 1+tan45=2
So you can eliminate the the first one
as (1+tan44)It's unlikely to be 2^22 as it's not following any pattern for 45 terms it's most likely to be
2^(44/2)*2=2^23
well nybody got d logic for the 1st question(in prometric test that line graph one)?
if yes den plz share.....

The graph should continue on its old path as in 2007 even in 2008 or it should rise up.

The economic downturn has effected every company whose graph went further down (gets a larger negative slope) compared to it's previous year.

About the multiple usage ?

Further whats the answer for the investment question;quite a jargon used there.

I could not get the answer to the punching machine question either.. any answers on that..?

Looks like am the only one who didnt get it..

The graph should continue on its old path as in 2007 even in 2008 or it should rise up.

The economic downturn has effected every company whose graph went further down (gets a larger negative slope) compared to it's previous year.

yeah according to dis logic there is no correct ans.....that only i was confused....

Can anyone explain the mensuration question?

snipped.......

i don't think there's any error in the line graph quest.

it asked which co. remained unaffected by 2008 downturn. now the graph indicates the result at the end of each year. so the position of graph at 2007 gives info about end of 2007 and the position of graph at 2008 is the result at the end of 2008. assuming that the downturn happened during 2008, ie after 2007 ended and before 2008 ended, so if a company's graph decreases from 2007 to 2008, it means it was affected by the slowdown.

we can see that all the lines go downward from 2007 to 2008 except one, which is the red one i.e. Q

has anybody solved the balance sheet question. i found it rather confusing, ie. what to add and what to subtract.