CAT aspirants who did not crack the CAT exam after writing many times!

Hi, I would like to share my thoughts about the cat exam for which I have tried more than 3 years and still hopeless. What is the key ingredient that is required to bell the cat? I’m fed with the cliche answers given by the institute on crack…

Hi,

I would like to share my thoughts about the cat exam for which I have tried more than 3 years and still hopeless. What is the key ingredient that is required to bell the cat? I'm fed with the cliche answers given by the institute on cracking the exam. All cat crackers please discuss the nuances required for prep to crack it. Thank you all!

Hi,

I would like to share my thoughts about the cat exam for which I have tried more than 3 years and still hopeless. What is the key ingredient that is required to bell the cat? I'm fed with the cliche answers given by the institute on cracking the exam. All cat crackers please discuss the nuances required for prep to crack it. Thank you all!

You need to download the ebook "All I wanted to speak about the CAT" from Pagalguys home page. That said, practice makes a man perfect. There is no shortcut way to crack the CAT. You might hear about people who just woke up, gave the CAT and cracked it without much preparation. Mostly these stories are highly exagerated, and even if to some extent true, what you wont hear is the years of generic efforts that the person has taken to reach such a position.
Hi,

Totally subjective question. Cracking the CAT means different to different people. Some people want to study in IIMs, that too only the best, while many others are happy with any of the top 15-20 colleges. First category is not so common, like DT/ UDT members, while the majority form the second category.

From my experience (3 attempts- 81, 93 and 99 in order), around 98%ile can be achieved by simply solving more problems (the way many of us get good ranks in entrance tests after 12th) and also by getting a better understanding of the different kind of problems. Breaking into the top 2 percent requires skill which does not simply come with practice. It's other factors like being not too frantic about CAT, calmness and complacency while appearing for an exam, positive thinking etc.

I have a couple friends at different IIMs. The experiences are very different if you ask for them. One guy says he caught a lucky break. He was consistently getting mid 80s in his mocks. He thought he wouldn't get through CAT for sure, and hence he says was fearless in his actual CAT attempt. Got 99.62 in CAT.

Another friend who started out his CAT journey with a 69 percentile in the first and easiest mock. He took his attempt apart and worked through problem sets after problem sets till his weaknesses became his strengths.

I'd suggest a mix and match of these guys from opposite parts of the spectrum. Do Not lose your calm in the CAT, ever. If you think you're getting difficult questions, rest of the people writing the exam will also find them difficult. Also, start with taking a diagnostic test, and pummel through your weak sections like crazy till they become strengths. It's high school level stuff.

It's a pity I realised this later, after erring through both these problems. I am weak in geometry and LRDI, didn't work on them much, and thus had to leave geometry questions in the CAT. This screwed with my head which lead me to screw up on LRDI much worse. Ended up getting a mid 97 percentile (with a 66 percentile in LRDI)

Mental blocks for specific topics are the worst things you can give yourself for CAT, especially for the online CAT where 55+ attempts seems to be the trend for getting calls.

I have a couple friends at different IIMs. The experiences are very different if you ask for them. One guy says he caught a lucky break. He was consistently getting mid 80s in his mocks. He thought he wouldn't get through CAT for sure, and hence he says was fearless in his actual CAT attempt. Got 99.62 in CAT.

Another friend who started out his CAT journey with a 69 percentile in the first and easiest mock. He took his attempt apart and worked through problem sets after problem sets till his weaknesses became his strengths.

I'd suggest a mix and match of these guys from opposite parts of the spectrum. Do Not lose your calm in the CAT, ever. If you think you're getting difficult questions, rest of the people writing the exam will also find them difficult. Also, start with taking a diagnostic test, and pummel through your weak sections like crazy till they become strengths. It's high school level stuff.

It's a pity I realised this later, after erring through both these problems. I am weak in geometry and LRDI, didn't work on them much, and thus had to leave geometry questions in the CAT. This screwed with my head which lead me to screw up on LRDI much worse. Ended up getting a mid 97 percentile (with a 66 percentile in LRDI)

Mental blocks for specific topics are the worst things you can give yourself for CAT, especially for the online CAT where 55+ attempts seems to be the trend for getting calls.

I think aalmighty has said exactly what I would have said. Persevere but also analyze your performance. There is a component of luck too but lets not give it too much of importance. We need to be lucky to survive and we all are.

Also look at your performance as such. Did you score well in other exams. Even if CAT did not go well, you should have done well in XAT or IIFT. If not analyze, why not

look at the guy called the_hate....... he is one of the pg gods here...... a source of inspiration to many........ after some 3 -4yrs he has got thro fms....... so there are always other institutes wer u can do ur pgdm/mba....... the thing is ppl take cat too seriously... some make it their lives ambition to crack cat..... all crap..... nothing in life is worth tht much of tension n pressure.... u prepare hard for 2 yrs take countless mocks n still u can screw up ur cat due to infinite factors..... now tht cat is online add normalisation as one of the factors......

all i want to say is "i am fed up trying to bell the cat", is of no use my friend.....
there are plenty of options around u........
just calm urself n look around..... am sure u ll be able to find ur calling.....

Wud lyk to tel my lil story...had thought of taking up job after my b.com but then the opportunities that came wernt gud...started preparing for CAT in around feb(out of touch 4m maths since 12th but ws confident of my english nd logical abilities)...solved CAT 2008 exam in may nd got around 70%ile.....gav sum confidence that dere r still 5months left..but then started the dreadful AIMCATS....1st mock %ile ws 59 nd surprsingly got lowest in VA...ws able to improve quant nd LRDI scores nd started getting 85+ consistently by august but VA always remained below 70's..ws dejected since I had 90% in 10,12 in eng...but then i realized it's nt eng..it's sumthing else..den on pg i talked to VA gods nd realized that even VA cud be improved with practice nd logic..learnt the tactics,gauged the paper-setters tricks nd practised more cuase i wsnt a reader nd cn neva be(just HT nd India today 4 me)...so despite nt reading a single novel or doing any vocab I improved my VA also....scored 99%ile dis year in almost all exams I tuk...94 in VA in CAT wid 97 each in QA,DI..nd I took d exam in d dreadful 14nov.10 slot in which many members of DT suffred including Doc..sumhw luck ws on ym side that I attempted the anchor ques correctly..but even if you dnt crack CAT u'd knw ur prep level by oder exams..even though I cudnt get FMS,XLRI,IIM calls dis yr..but alteast knw dat I did well...but one thing I've realized is that once u enter the 95+ range for CAT(85+ as per AIMCATS)..it boils down to more f ur frame of mind nd d faith u hav in ur own abilties...just 5 days before the CAT my %ile in AIMCAT dropped from upper 90's to 79 but I didnt let it get over me nd d nyt before chekd d results of only those mocks in which I scored gud with balance sectionals..just to show it to my heart nd mind that this is what u r capable of nd dis is what u ought to achieve tomorrow..I wud probably be doing my MBA 4m NMIMS/MDI dis yr but then as they say-it matters more what u do at ur MBA,then where u do ur MBA from

P.S:Sry 4 dis long post..but just got a lil emotional

As someone rightly mentioned CAT is not the only option..But if you have the dream to do your MBA from the topmost B Schools you need to have the patience.Need to keep plugging the loopholes.It's possible,I believe.It might require a lot of hard work.People would be there who prepared less and got more,but most of them who cracked it,worked hard.
And there are other factors involved in CAT these days..So don't put all your eggs in a single bucket(This mistake I did.After CAT I lost my interest)
Keep working.Don't get demotivated.You neva knew how much you were close to your destiny.
If you know this guy named Dilsere.How he improved himself.And if you know the_hate closely you would come to know this guy is always a genius,but somehow life wanted more from him.He kept on trying,was reluctant to accept his ephemeral set backs.That is how winning is done my friend.Doc sacrificed JBIMS for another season.Prem kept on trying.Rik_12 sacrificed IIM S for IIM Calcutta.These are just a few examples.If you have the faith on yourself,don't let it die.Rather strike it hard.
All these I learnt from my fellow puys,who always inspire me.
Neva give up!!

all the best.....

well my cat story is also very different.i wrote cat for d first time in 2008 and secured minimal 78%tile.at dat time i was in my final year of graduation.i always dreamt of pursuing mba from IIMs and obviously i was nt getting IIMs at dis horrible %tile. i enrolled myself in a post graduation course in economics and started re-preparing for cat-2010 during second year of M.A. economics.this time i secured 90%tile and again dis %tile is nt enuf 2 get me into IIMs. i wud hav tried once more coz still i hav nt lost hope n courage but my family conditions do nt allow.i m d only child and my parents hav separated .i liv wid my mom.she is a retired principal.she gets meagre pension and preparing again means lots of expenses in filling forms,coaching ,travelling expenses and most importantly one more year.
i hav converted fore school of management call n luking forward to tapmi result.n i will definatly be joining one of dem.my IIM journey has halted and taken a different course.

Hi,

HI Gibson,

This is going to be a long post... and a longer journey post the post (if you get what i mean)

Please dont time or limit your time for an MBA.... it doenst matter how you fare in the CAT.... what matters is how you spend the next 12 months after the cat preparing yourself for the next one and also the value you add to your profile in those 12 months....

I have know people get into IIMs after more than 5 - 6 attempts... and others who took up mediocre institutes after 1 -2 attempts. It depends on what you want from the MBA... if its a job you can get it from any of the top 50 Bschools in India and if its a brand then probably you would want one of the top 25...

Take your time to think about what you want over the next 10 years... i know it soundslike gyaan but you would probably need to have that clarity to be clear how long you want to puruse getting into Bschool and deciding which are the Bschools you will accept admits into

all the best and write back anytime

HI

I had a query n i hope u will answer that.

I had done B.com(h) in 2009 .n after that i was trying for mba but not able to get through into a good b school.write now I hav no work ex now my quesn is
next year will i face any difficulty in b school interview n in the final placment interview .

can i show fake work ex.??????????
plz reply

My CAT sojourn started with CAT,07 and after 3 attempts at CAT, I haven't been able to crack it (read:99+).
Had it been the paper-based CAT it used to be, I would have still tried for another year. I still think that there's a lot of scope for improvement but I can't risk another year on this Computer-based random shit which stands noooowhere to the kind of fair and logic-intensive exam it used to be.

Even this year, I was primarily aiming for XLRI and FMS which I could'nt crack but I have a lot of respect for these 2 colleges and I think and hope that their brand will soon surpass that of IIMs.
I will be taking up NM this year and hope to do something good with it :-P

My CAt journey started with yr 2008(Final yr in college)
I joined TIME full time coaching. I did my level bes. Well it was quite not enough actually. I had just attended the weekend classes. Whatever was done in class seemed quite easy. But when it came to AIMCAT's I started faring badly. Ya it was my college days. So I was to some extent playful. Plus I din't come to know about pagalguy way back in 2008(I consider it as my bad luck)

Now for the scores.
CAT 2008
Verbal-18%ile
DI-77%ile
Quants-93%ile

OA-73%ile

Well I was somewhat depressed.

But again with all my frens around I was like let me take up my job @infosys.
This was the biggest mistake of my life
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

June 2009-

I was exported to mysore. In the name of training I was tortured with so many repeated tests. Some how managed to complete the training by Nov 2009. Then i totally forgot about CAT, bcos I was more worried about clearing the training and surviving in that stupid place.So unfortunately I din't book for CAT 2009. I din't even give it a trial.

Jan 2010
Well I was posted straight away into bench. So afer few months of bench out of frustration I started preparing for GRE(well there was a track change here cos many of my frens wrote GRE I continued with them). I scored 1280 in GRE. But still I was wondering Y the hell did I write GRE just after it got over

Then I took CAT on the last day(last slot) without touching even a single formula.
Then the scores came out to be 76 %ile

verbal-86%ile
Quants-72 %ile
DI-77 %ile.

Jan 2011

Well the main story starts over here
Then I got fed-up with and bored with my damn job(i was in bench most of the time..Damn f**king Infy). I shortlisted all the CAT coaching centers. Firstly I joined the mock test series of TIME. Then I enrolled myself for BYJU's classes.

I was slogging like anything. All the formulas and shortcut's told by him was always running in my mind. his classes were so very interesting. I was so engrossed in them. Then I almost decided to quite my job also for preparation. But since there was not much work I took a leave of 3 months from office to prepare for CAT.

I was like all books, pagalguy quants thread, verbal thread, AIMCATs, shortcut, brushing up vocabulary all the time in these 3 months. I cut off most of the phone calls. I treated it more like 12th std board exam. But my AIMCAT score were lingering from 60- 78 %ile.

Once or twice i was able to clear the quant cut off and verbal cut off too in AIMCAT's

Then once I wrote mock CAT by IMS. I could score 94 %ile in it. I was overjoyed.

Then as CAT was nearing pressure was building up. I was not in contact with the few friends I had also, so there was even more pressure.

THE D-DAY
Then I went in the exam hall all ready to attack. I was praying that I should not break down anywhere in the middle.

The quant section opened. The very first question was some complex one in AP. I guessed it and moved on to the second. From second onwards all the questions were quite easy when compare to the mocks. I was quite happy. but time was running. I could complete 20-22 question of 30. I was somewhat satisfied becos even a guy from IIT was attending at the max 26 questions in section 1

Then came section 2 which has made me who i am now(almost psycho- path)

There were 10 LR questions and 20 verbal questions. I attended first 4 LR questions(same set). I was able to finish t in no time(an easy set). Then came the second set(4 questions) I was not able to solve it even when 10 mins went by. I was nervous to the core(cos 10 mins is huge time to be wasted). Then went to the next set(3 more questions) In this I cud solve only 1 question. I was like WTF

Finally with un satisfaction I moved on to verbal part as I had no other go. I jus browsed thru n attended 2 RC's. Then few vocab questions here n there. The timer was nearing 0 minutes. THEN IT WAS OVER(the exam and my life as well).

I went home and then went to booze. Never before in my life I hav ever drunk when I was sad. I was a light drinker. I used to go out n drink with friends only very very occasionally(once in 4-6 months). My friends are also of the same level.

Then I was so depressed. I have never been so much depressed in my lifetime.I was thinking of the same thing again and again.

CAT is a tough and competitive exam. So many around me said even when things go wrongly you should try to correct them and continue. But I was not able to digest what I had done in the exam. With so much pain, effort and hard work for 3 months and finally doing section 2 like this..I was so frustrated.It blew away my self confidence.

Then I came back to pagalguy and checked how other people had done the exam on my day. It was the second week I guess. Then I got a bit of relief when many ppl had posted that the LR part was tough. I had my final hopes on so called "NORMALIZATION". But it worked worn for me.

The scores released.

Section1-Quants-72%ile
Section2-Verbal-39%ile

OA=>57%ile.

I was planning to jump from floor 3 of my house.It shattered me like anything. It literally killed me.Even if I had got some 80 %ile it would have been waste only. But I would have had the satisfaction of my 3 months effort.

I stil want to try again(BUT MY EXPERIENCE OF 3 YEARS) has put a full stop to my dream.
If I write CAT 2012, by the time I join MBA I will have 4 yrs IT experience.None of the colleges prefer a guy with more than 3 yrs experience(in IT industry)

On the technical side also I do not know much as I was in bench most of the time.

NOW I'm nowhere.If anyone reads this post please do give me yur valueble suggestions. I'm writing it out of sheer frustration with a heavy heart.
My CAt journey started with yr 2008(Final yr in college)
I joined TIME full time coaching. I did my level bes. Well it was quite not enough actually. I had just attended the weekend classes. Whatever was done in class seemed quite easy. But when it came to AIMCAT's I started faring badly. Ya it was my college days. So I was to some extent playful. Plus I din't come to know about pagalguy way back in 2008(I consider it as my bad luck)

Now for the scores.
CAT 2008
Verbal-18%ile
DI-77%ile
Quants-93%ile

OA-73%ile

Well I was somewhat depressed.

But again with all my frens around I was like let me take up my job @infosys.
This was the biggest mistake of my life
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

June 2009-

I was exported to mysore. In the name of training I was tortured with so many repeated tests. Some how managed to complete the training by Nov 2009. Then i totally forgot about CAT, bcos I was more worried about clearing the training and surviving in that stupid place.So unfortunately I din't book for CAT 2009. I din't even give it a trial.

Jan 2010
Well I was posted straight away into bench. So afer few months of bench out of frustration I started preparing for GRE(well there was a track change here cos many of my frens wrote GRE I continued with them). I scored 1280 in GRE. But still I was wondering Y the hell did I write GRE just after it got over

Then I took CAT on the last day(last slot) without touching even a single formula.
Then the scores came out to be 76 %ile

verbal-86%ile
Quants-72 %ile
DI-77 %ile.

Jan 2011

Well the main story starts over here
Then I got fed-up with and bored with my damn job(i was in bench most of the time..Damn f**king Infy). I shortlisted all the CAT coaching centers. Firstly I joined the mock test series of TIME. Then I enrolled myself for BYJU's classes.

I was slogging like anything. All the formulas and shortcut's told by him was always running in my mind. his classes were so very interesting. I was so engrossed in them. Then I almost decided to quite my job also for preparation. But since there was not much work I took a leave of 3 months from office to prepare for CAT.

I was like all books, pagalguy quants thread, verbal thread, AIMCATs, shortcut, brushing up vocabulary all the time in these 3 months. I cut off most of the phone calls. I treated it more like 12th std board exam. But my AIMCAT score were lingering from 60- 78 %ile.

Once or twice i was able to clear the quant cut off and verbal cut off too in AIMCAT's

Then once I wrote mock CAT by IMS. I could score 94 %ile in it. I was overjoyed.

Then as CAT was nearing pressure was building up. I was not in contact with the few friends I had also, so there was even more pressure.

THE D-DAY
Then I went in the exam hall all ready to attack. I was praying that I should not break down anywhere in the middle.

The quant section opened. The very first question was some complex one in AP. I guessed it and moved on to the second. From second onwards all the questions were quite easy when compare to the mocks. I was quite happy. but time was running. I could complete 20-22 question of 30. I was somewhat satisfied becos even a guy from IIT was attending at the max 26 questions in section 1

Then came section 2 which has made me who i am now(almost psycho- path)

There were 10 LR questions and 20 verbal questions. I attended first 4 LR questions(same set). I was able to finish t in no time(an easy set). Then came the second set(4 questions) I was not able to solve it even when 10 mins went by. I was nervous to the core(cos 10 mins is huge time to be wasted). Then went to the next set(3 more questions) In this I cud solve only 1 question. I was like WTF

Finally with un satisfaction I moved on to verbal part as I had no other go. I jus browsed thru n attended 2 RC's. Then few vocab questions here n there. The timer was nearing 0 minutes. THEN IT WAS OVER(the exam and my life as well).

I went home and then went to booze. Never before in my life I hav ever drunk when I was sad. I was a light drinker. I used to go out n drink with friends only very very occasionally(once in 4-6 months). My friends are also of the same level.

Then I was so depressed. I have never been so much depressed in my lifetime.I was thinking of the same thing again and again.

CAT is a tough and competitive exam. So many around me said even when things go wrongly you should try to correct them and continue. But I was not able to digest what I had done in the exam. With so much pain, effort and hard work for 3 months and finally doing section 2 like this..I was so frustrated.It blew away my self confidence.

Then I came back to pagalguy and checked how other people had done the exam on my day. It was the second week I guess. Then I got a bit of relief when many ppl had posted that the LR part was tough. I had my final hopes on so called "NORMALIZATION". But it worked worn for me.

The scores released.

Section1-Quants-72%ile
Section2-Verbal-39%ile

OA=>57%ile.

I was planning to jump from floor 3 of my house.It shattered me like anything. It literally killed me.Even if I had got some 80 %ile it would have been waste only. But I would have had the satisfaction of my 3 months effort.

I stil want to try again(BUT MY EXPERIENCE OF 3 YEARS) has put a full stop to my dream.
If I write CAT 2012, by the time I join MBA I will have 4 yrs IT experience.None of the colleges prefer a guy with more than 3 yrs experience(in IT industry)

On the technical side also I do not know much as I was in bench most of the time.

NOW I'm nowhere.If anyone reads this post please do give me yur valueble suggestions. I'm writing it out of sheer frustration with a heavy heart.

Ahh dude don't get worked up.. It is just an exam.. CAT doesn't define who you are.. Our job is to study religiously and write the exam. Thats all we can hope for. Believe in you!
"Hardwork never goes unrewarded forever".

http://tiny.cc/j1rqpy

Join this whatsapp grp to stay updated