CAT & GMAT takers in 2012

Hi Puys, This group is dedicated for those who take both CAT and GMAT simultaneously in 2012.:cheers: :cheers: As CAT is an element of uncertainty,:banghead: it is safer to write GMAT as a back up to apply to the B-schools in India and…

Hi Puys,

This group is dedicated for those who take both CAT and GMAT simultaneously in 2012.:cheers: :cheers:

As CAT is an element of uncertainty,:banghead: it is safer to write GMAT as a back up to apply to the B-schools in India and Abroad.

You use GMAT scores to apply for executive programmes in IIMs.
You can also apply to ISB , SP Jain and other B-schools.

This thread is created to channelize the preparations for both CAT and GMAT.

Preparation for CAT & GMAT should go hand in hand,thats why this thread is created.

Adios Amigos

Regards,
Venkat

Hi Venkart89,

I would like to join this group to discuss CAT and GMAT related stuffs.

I am working and I had given CAT previously. But, never gave GMAT and not familiar with the format as well. I would like to know that in comparision to CAT, is GMAT easier to score ? I am asking this as I would like to be on a safe side and would like to get into a B-School next season.

Wishes for the thread!

Puys! plz mention da material u r followin 4 preparation of CAT & GMAT 2012...as far as I am concerned, TIME material & test series for CAT (not yet registered)...for GMAT, I need suggestions from u ppl πŸ˜ƒ

Also mention the way u r goin abt it which includes details like no. of hrs, weaknesses & strengths etc....Dis wil encourage & motivate others of their goals...:-)

All the best puys! I wish & hope by EOY we all will make it good colleges πŸ˜ƒ

Hi rahul,

Welcome to the group. I am currently attending GMAT classes and I am familiar with the pattern. Surely,I will help you with striking similarities between CAT and GMAT.

Regards,
Venkat

Hi puys,

A new pattern for GMAT will be followed from June 2nd onwards. As most of them would be writing after June. I am mentioning about the new patterm.

The total duration of the exam is 3 and half hours.

First is Analytical Writing Assessment
1. Integrated Reasoning (From June 2nd) - 30 min
2. Analysis of an Issue(Remains the same) - 30 min

Second is the Quants Section ,37 questions - 75 mins

Third is the verbal section (toughest part of all), 41 Questions - 75 mins

If you have further queries regarding GMAT , pls post it!!

Hi puys,

A new pattern for GMAT will be followed from June 2nd onwards. As most of them would be writing after June. I am mentioning about the new patterm.

Hi puys,

Hi Gnosy,

Welcome to the thread. We shall all make it to our desired schools.

I am also following Time Materials for CAT,planning to enroll for the AIMCAT series. For GMAT, I have joined Princeton Review. It is very good.
There are many materials available online for GMAT like Manhattan, Kaplan, 800score.com, etc.

:cheers:

Wishes for the thread!

Puys! plz mention da material u r followin 4 preparation of CAT & GMAT 2012...as far as I am concerned, TIME material & test series for CAT (not yet registered)...for GMAT, I need suggestions from u ppl πŸ˜ƒ

Also mention the way u r goin abt it which includes details like no. of hrs, weaknesses & strengths etc....Dis wil encourage & motivate others of their goals...:-)

All the best puys! I wish & hope by EOY we all will make it good colleges :-)

Hi Gnosy,

For GMAT you can use the following material.

Official Guide 13 (New Release) -> Considered as bible for GMAT
Manhattan strategy guides (Set of 8 guides, a comprehensive set for GMAT preparation. 5 for Quant and 3 for Verbal)

PowerScore bible for Critical reasoning (You can drop reading it from Manhattan and pick this up for CR. This is really a bible for CR. For rest of them Manhattan material serves the purpose.)

And for the practice tests, GMAC already provides 2 sample tests. If you are looking for more practice, there are many GMATinstitutes providing for the practice tests. You can chose any of them. I found GMAC tests and to some extent Manhtattan tests close to what the actual GMAT test looks like.

Thanks,
Surya

heLLO everyOne,
I have given cat earlier without much success and now I am having 2.5 yrs of work exp..wondering giving gmat will be beneficial becoz among indian bschool only ISB accept people wid less than 5 yr experience on the basis of gmat...rest bschool want 5 yrs of exp...I want to pursue MBA next yr itself...any suggestion????

Hi Pankaj,

Are you looking only for Indian B-Schools? If yes, then yeah ISB is the only good option available. Other ask for around 5-7 years experience. But if you are trying to expand your horizon and looking for an MBA abroad then the chances are bright.

I gave my GMAT on Feb 23rd and scored a 710 with 5 years of experience and my target is only Indian B-Schools. I am still apprehensive that with my 5 years of experiences i am still just left with ISB and may be XLRI.

Thanks,
Surya

Yup ISB accepts GMAT score with less than 5 years. But you can apply for SP Jain,IIFT, Great Lakes, Executive & FPM programmes in IIM,

Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores : The B-School Application - Canada, South America, Asia, Australia and Europe

U can also apply to B-schools in Singapore, which wud cost a little more than ISB.

A gud GMAT score would be helpful in addition to CAT score.

heLLO everyOne,
I have given cat earlier without much success and now I am having 2.5 yrs of work exp..wondering giving gmat will be beneficial becoz among indian bschool only ISB accept people wid less than 5 yr experience on the basis of gmat...rest bschool want 5 yrs of exp...I want to pursue MBA next yr itself...any suggestion????

Congrats Anem Surya for getting 710.. I found your earlier post very informative. Pls do offer some advice for my GMAT preparation.

Wrote my first Mock Exam in Princeton Review , managed to get 660. Still a long way to go..

Hi Pankaj,

Are you looking only for Indian B-Schools? If yes, then yeah ISB is the only good option available. Other ask for around 5-7 years experience. But if you are trying to expand your horizon and looking for an MBA abroad then the chances are bright.

I gave my GMAT on Feb 23rd and scored a 710 with 5 years of experience and my target is only Indian B-Schools. I am still apprehensive that with my 5 years of experiences i am still just left with ISB and may be XLRI.

Thanks,
Surya

Sure Venkat. Do let me know what kind of information you are looking for. I would be able to help you as i just sailed through it.

I would suggest take a GMAT PREP test and you would know where exactly you stand. This is a very accurate indicator of your final GMAT score (Keeping other things constant like mood,concentration, tension etc.,:)) .

And how many months have you been through your preparation?

I had taken GMAT Test Prep before I had started preparing for GMAT. I got 550 at that time. I have been preparing for 2 months. I got 660 (Math - 51 & Verbal - 31) in PR Mock Exam. I am finding it very difficult to do RC. :banghead:

Sure Venkat. Do let me know what kind of information you are looking for. I would be able to help you as i just sailed through it.

I would suggest take a GMAT PREP test and you would know where exactly you stand. This is a very accurate indicator of your final GMAT score (Keeping other things constant like mood,concentration, tension etc.,:)) .

And how many months have you been through your preparation?

Q51 and V31 is a good score and you have lot of scope for improvement in Verbal

RC is a nightmare for most of them and it was for me as well πŸ˜ƒ but i personally feel practice should help you with it. There is a resource RC-99 by Aristotle. It has 99 RC passages with all difficulty levels. That will serve as a very good practice.

Also i would suggest don't go with a big bang approach i.e., do around 10-20 RCs at once.
Instead try to pick up 41 questions, 4 RCs, around 13 SC and CR and time it for 75 minutes (Just the way it goes in GMAT exam).

My suggestion would be, always time your practice as timing is the most critical factor in GMAT exam.
Even if you are solving 10-12 question, time them.

Thanks a ton Surya. I wud definitely follow ur strategy regarding Verbal. Thanks for the Aristotle RC thing. :cheerio:

Q51 and V31 is a good score and you have lot of scope for improvement in Verbal

RC is a nightmare for most of them and it was for me as well πŸ˜ƒ but i personally feel practice should help you with it. There is a resource RC-99 by Aristotle. It has 99 RC passages with all difficulty levels. That will serve as a very good practice.

Also i would suggest don't go with a big bang approach i.e., do around 10-20 RCs at once.
Instead try to pick up 41 questions, 4 RCs, around 13 SC and CR and time it for 75 minutes (Just the way it goes in GMAT exam).

My suggestion would be, always time your practice as timing is the most critical factor in GMAT exam.
Even if you are solving 10-12 question, time them.
Hi Pankaj,

Thanks,
Surya

thanx surya for your prompt reply and congrats for your score...
Can you provide some info on reputed foreign bschool where cost of pursuing mba would be within 20 lacs including living expenses as my financial condition is not pretty good...my acads were average and my job experience of 2.5 yrs is in manufacturing sector wid hardly any big achievement till date so chances of scholarship seems nil...thats why thinking whether to give gmat this year or couple of years later...

Acads do matter for some extent, but it could be offset by a high GMAT score, good work profile, good recommendations, extra-curricular activities etc. Acads contributes roughly 15% of the whole process. We cannot change our acads. So concentrate on the rest

Hi All,
I am planning to give a try(GMAT) this year.I have a very bad academic.

10th-84
12th-46 :banghead:
Btech-68
Exp-4.5 yrs in telecom

Do the good b-schools consider acad? If so wat improvements need to be taken to subdue.