CAT 2013 (Wednesday, 6th November 2013 - Day 16) Exam Experiences

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :CAT Center, Date and Slot:1) How many attempts you have made?2) Your last mock score?If you are there at repository thread, pleโ€ฆ

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :

CAT Center, Date and Slot:

1) How many attempts you have made?

2) Your last mock score?

If you are there at repository thread, please provide the link here.

3) How was your experience of the test?

4) What was the surprise element for you?

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share.

Any post on this thread, not following the format OR any post trying to mislead will be deleted.

CAT Center, Date and Slot: GD POL kharghar navi mumbai, 6 nov, 10am

1) How many attempts you have made? qa/di-19, va/lr-26

2) Your last mock score?85-95 in simcats

Ambience was good....had to wait outside centre till 9.15 am....test started by 10.20.....centre staff very helpful......test was smooth except that the guy besides me was logged out in beween and there was some disturbance(i had to request them to shut up๐Ÿ˜‰)

4) What was the surprise element for you? QA was extra tough๐Ÿ˜ ....only 1 number syste question...no permutation comb. n probability......stress on modulas and functions.....heavy geometry....DI.....one easy set(can look calc. intensive...but only one question reqd calcn...i left itmg)

The other DI set....i wasted a lot of time with no result....seems that the data was inconsistent wit the question๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ...(Anyone who can give a clarification about this question....please pm me...its about the students*** abide by the NDA)

LR was easy....could do all the sets...fust keep your cool n read the question first๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

VA passages had close answers.....rest of VA was also on the tougher sde

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? Dont be impatient....

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.....Exam was On the Tougher side ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ Apni taraf se poora tan-man laga do....... Baki sab NORMALISATION DEVTA pe chod do....

7) Any other query or something you would like to share.....Someone please clarify about the SECOND DI SET.....lookroundlookroundlookroundlookround

Any post on this thread, not following the format OR any post trying to mislead will be deleted.mgmg

Center : Delhi School of Business, Pitampura, New Delhi

Attempts :
QA : 16

VA : 21

Last mock score

: No mock taken. Even if I had, their scores would have mocked me.

Had taken GMAT 2 years ago.

Experience of the test :

A very, very beautiful & sweet girl was sitting near me. Thought about her till the test began. No 'bad' thoughts, just kept wondering whether she'd be just another shallow, rich girl. For the first hour of the test, my concentration was great, even though I just gaped at the questions without answering many. Then my mind began to wander & thoughts of despair pervaded my mind. The Great American Dream is gone forever, my mind said.

Surprise Element :

Easiness of the test. My slot had very easy questions. If I had prepared, I definitely would've have nailed them. Also, I didn't know that pencils are provided. & you don't even get a sharpener. I didn't use the pencil much, so can't complain.

Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? : If you are a guy, don't look at girls before the exams. Vice versa for girls.

Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc. - all DI & LR sets were easy!!! I'm stupid enough to attempt all RCs without looking at one LR set, in order to save time.

Any other query or something you would like to share. - Most Indian b-schools that also accept GMAT scores require you to submit scores only if you took GMAT in this or the previous year. Is there any Indian b-school that doesn't do that.Also, I got to know that in-depth preparation is required for CAT. A 780 in GMAT & an apparent 80ish p in CAT!!! I guess it's more difficult to get into IIM A than to get into HBS. 4 years of work ex and 80 p in CAT; what a shame!

Hi Puys,

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Bangalore : Nov6, 10 AM

2) Your last mock score?

: 97+ile (AIMCAT-1402).

Terrible ! Believe Me! It was my 6th attempt to CAT and I found it as most easiest paper of all years but still couldn't transmute ๐Ÿ˜ž reason: Stress, Less sleep and low confidence, no presence of mind.

-1 question form TG number system booklet exactly same.

-1 RC set from this year AIMCAT's almost same.

-And difficulty level which is comparatively less.

- If you are well prepared candidate please scan paper and attempt, No EGO (that comes in picture If you can't do question from your fav area quickly, best way to leave it), Confidence and presence of mind (must required irrespective of your prep level)!

- Section-1

Easy-Moderate (well prepared can do 20-23 with 85-90% accuracy)

:Number system+ progression(TG material will help) : 3-4 Q : Inequality : 2-3: Log : 2 : DI : games (3) + % (3) + Table(3-observation based) : Trigno: 2: Geometry : 3-4: RNP : 2 : Misce: 3-4

-Section-2

Moderate-Tough (though I haven't seen more than 22-25 questions in brief)

LR (It was my fav which proved disastrous for me)-Difficult

- LR ( Set-1 If/and not condition based jumble question-horrible :(, Set-2 : % application, Set-3 : Direction based)---overall tough

-Verbal

RC-1 : AIMCAT(this year) idea was almost same (easy!-4Q )

RC-2: EASY simple with no complexity involve (3 Q)

RC-3: Tough (3 Q)

PJ :2-3 (1 is easy rest no idea didnt saw)

FIB: 2 (Dicey)

Words: 2( familiar words : Dicey)

LCP: 2 (no idea)

Remove the incoherent and illogical option : 1

Overall it was a section where you need to select the questions and attempt.

- Puys: Just keep yourself boosted!, Positive Attitude with PHOD DUNGA feeling is must required, Else bhauth messy ho jata hai yaar!!

PS: As per me

section1: anything above 45 + marks (+3,-1) : 93+ile

section2: anything above 45+ marks (+3,-1) : 95+ile

For any queries : just shoot!! ( It should be in a limit of not asking questions! can be answerable).

Thanks!

Puys did anyone got brazil germany argentina ... DI... If yes plz pm me the ans anyone?/////

JNTU Hyderabad Nov 6th 10 AM

Sec 1: 23 [No guess]

Sec 2: 28 [6 questions in VA left with 2 choices after eliminations. So attempted all of them]

2) Your last mock score?

AIMCATs: 83-95 %tile

Good

Tougher QA and VA. Easy DI & LR

After all 6 yrs kids now-a-days handles computers & IPads better ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

QA is on tougher side. I couldn't remember how many times I took a note on time left but was busy moving to next questions.

QA:

Tough: 9 [takes > 6 mins]

Moderate: 7 [takes 2-6 mins]

Easy : 5 [takes

DI: 9 all easy even tough some takes time as set was easy
LR: 2 easy sets and 1 moderate set [took 10mins but solved it]
RC : 2 sets easy, 1 set tough
VA: All, good mix of easy - tough questions.

DOn't let ur EGO dominate u when u are solving some Questions in QA. Even primary school students can solve entire paper when provided sufficient time . But what matters during Exam is (unanswered questions)/ (remaining time) ratio than ur Ego satisfaction mg

Hope I didn't violate NDA

Any post on this thread, not following the format OR any post trying to mislead will be deleted.

if any one get 0 marks in cat in todays paper what percentile he will get๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜ด

Hi Puys, Had a very bad CAT Exam (6-NOv)
Could manage to do only 9 in QADI and 14 In VALR.

Can anybody suggest predict the percentile

QA-15 with 12+ correct and VA-26 with 21+ correct

2) Your last mock score?

Generally got 90-95%le in ProcMocks

Easier than expected

Quant had some questions that were very easy, but i just couldn't solve. Level of CAT questions has definitely dropped. Even if you learn methods for particular questions taught at every coaching institute you can crack it. One question on trigo was definitely wrong

Exactly like giving mocks

QA- Moderate.
DI- 2 sets easy, one moderate

VA- Easy to Moderate.
RC's- 2 easy, one moderate. LR- 2 very easy, 1 moderate

Done with CAT for this year, will start preparing for next time around in January.
Couple of questions for you guys:

1) What happens if a question is definitely wrong and hence you purposely leave it. Does everyone get marks?

2)I know it really wouldn't make a difference, but what sectional percentiles could i expect?

@arpan.m

Hi Puys,

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Bangalore : Nov6, 10 AM

2) Your last mock score?

: 97+ile (AIMCAT-1402).

Terrible ! Believe Me! It was my 6th attempt to CAT and I found it as most easiest paper of all years but still couldn't transmute reason: Stress, Less sleep and low confidence, no presence of mind.

-1 question form TG number system booklet exactly same.

-1 RC set from this year AIMCAT's almost same.

-And difficulty level which is comparatively less.

- If you are well prepared candidate please scan paper and attempt, No EGO (that comes in picture If you can't do question from your fav area quickly, best way to leave it), Confidence and presence of mind (must required irrespective of your prep level)!

- Section-1

Easy-Moderate (well prepared can do 20-23 with 85-90% accuracy)

:Number system+ progression(TG material will help) : 3-4 Q : Inequality : 2-3: Log : 2 : DI : games (3) + % (3) + Table(3-observation based) : Trigno: 2: Geometry : 3-4: RNP : 2 : Misce: 3-4

-Section-2

Moderate-Tough (though I haven't seen more than 22-25 questions in brief)

LR (It was my fav which proved disastrous for me)-Difficult

- LR ( Set-1 If/and not condition based jumble question-horrible :(, Set-2 : % application, Set-3 : Direction based)---overall tough

-Verbal

RC-1 : AIMCAT(this year) idea was almost same (easy!-4Q )

RC-2: EASY simple with no complexity involve (3 Q)

RC-3: Tough (3 Q)

PJ :2-3 (1 is easy rest no idea didnt saw)

FIB: 2 (Dicey)

Words: 2( familiar words : Dicey)

LCP: 2 (no idea)

Remove the incoherent and illogical option : 1

Overall it was a section where you need to select the questions and attempt.

- Puys: Just keep yourself boosted!, Positive Attitude with PHOD DUNGA feeling is must required, Else bhauth messy ho jata hai yaar!!

PS: As per me

section1: anything above 45 + marks (+3,-1) : 93+ile

section2: anything above 45+ marks (+3,-1) : 95+ile

For any queries : just shoot!! ( It should be in a limit of not asking questions! can be answerable).

Thanks!

I could attempt only 9 in QA and 14 in VALR. Atleast 7 and 10 are correct, can you pls advice expected percentile

CAT Center SMG Group Rajajinagar Bangalore

Date - 6th Nov 2013

Attempts - Quant-15 VA -23

Easy Paper....Messed up quants big time....Could have easily got past 20.... ๐Ÿ˜ž ๐Ÿ˜ž

L J Institute of Management Studies, Ahmedabad, 6th Nov, 10:00 AM

QA: 22 & VA: 24

2) Your last mock score? 97+

Nice

Well, after reading few of the reviews i was well prepared for a tough paper but it was easy actually too easy.

No specific tips.

LR were complete sitters, i was able to solve 1 LR within 2 minutes( believe me). DI was easy. 1 DI required some calculation. 2nd DI easy, solved it in mind. 3rd was a mixed one. QA was easy to moderate. Around 4-5 sitters. No PnC and No Probability. Lots of Geometry. Left 2 Geometry questions . RC's were tough, all those philosophical s**t. PJ's and PC's were doable. 1 PJ and PC was tough. 3 FIB's and 2 Word usage. No Grammar.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share. Well, don't think too much about the exam. Be calm and cool. Sleep well the night before exam.

guys just one question .....if we dont remeber the question number which had error then in that case what shud be done?? how to go aboutit???

Sinhgad Business School , Pune, 6th Nov, 03;15 PM

QA: 22 & VA: 18+-1

2) Your last mock score? Not taken

Nice

Well the lengthy LR with Tough Long RCs in Section II

if you are able to read this post , then no tips required

LR were hell tough, i was able to solve 2 LR in 20 minutes. DI was easy. 1 DI required some calculation. QA was easy to moderate. Around 4-5 sitters. No PnC and Probability. Lots of Geometry. RC's were tough, all those philosophical,argumentative . PJ's and PC's were doable but on tricky side. 1 PJ and PC was tough. i dont touch Grammar.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share. Well, don't think too much about the exam. Be calm and cool. Sleep well the night before exam.

Did anyone get a DI set where GDP and Life Expectancy was given along with population ? Data was given in Weird Circles on X-Y plane. I have never seen such kind of graphs in my life ๐Ÿ˜ž . Could somebody tell me what are they called so that I could google it ?

is it only me or others also found today's quant paper of second slot very tough? Could attempt 13 only. 2 DIs left. VA/LR was better in comparison. 25 attempts. Looks really tough this year. One more year for me it seems

I hope they do Normalization as promised by them !! ๐Ÿ˜ž At least November 6 Afternoon people at most of the centers will be wishing for the same ! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I MAY MISS THE TRAIN TO IIM...BUT I WILL MAKE SURE NOT TO MBA.............

CAT Center, Date and Slot:allzeem,bangalore 6th nov, 3.15pm

QA 18 95% accuracy...VA 17 90%accuracy...

2) Your last mock score?Doesn't Matter now....

what can i say...very bad...one simple logic in DI I missed๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ ....very disappointing performance in QA section....managed to get 18 with almost 100% accuracy..
21 should be good in QA....
Coming to reading Comprehension I don't know where on earth they bought this paragraph๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ....one is ok...but other two very tough....For the first time reading some paragraph is like reading some alien language...no mock can come to close range....i gave TIME,TF,HITBULLSEYE,IMS none of them is 50% of what i faced in cat.....
LR very easy....did in 20 mins....

3 questions from geometry....๐Ÿ˜Ÿ....no TSD...no Trigonometry...no Time work....No Probability or P&C....1; Numbers....
Fully loaded with functions๐Ÿ˜ ....set theory....

toughness of reading Comprehension is a big surprise....

be cool....

in QA 21 is good....VA i cant say much about it...i got screwed.....
i should start preparing for ITT JEE ...Functions are on similar lines....not even a single mock have that type of questions....

May be i may miss my train to IIM.....but started preparing for XAT and TISS.....may be i should have prepared a little more.....but 2 months for XAT....i will make sure that i will get it at any cost...

All The Best Puys.....for your xams...๐Ÿ‘

Has anyone ny idea if the normalization is done on per day basis or on per slot basis??

Very tough quant section today 6th Nov 3:15 slot..

Maar li bhai billi ne..