CAT 2013 (Thursday, 24th October 2013 - Day 7) Exam Experience

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :CAT Center, Date and Slot:1) How many attempts you have made?2) Your last mock score?If you are there at repository thread, ple…

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :

CAT Center, Date and Slot:

1) How many attempts you have made?

2) Your last mock score?

If you are there at repository thread, please provide the link here.

3) How was your experience of the test?

4) What was the surprise element for you?

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share.

Any post on this thread, not following the format OR any post trying to mislead will be deleted.

Important :-While discussing, please follow the Disclaimers Regarding conduct of CAT strictly. Anyone found violating will be summarily banned and in case of any enquiry pagalguy.com will cooperate with the investigating authorities.Also, if you want to ask any query to any of the users who has taken the test, please PM him/her.Let this thread be only for the experiences of the people who are taking CAT .If someone feels that something needs to be added, you can edit your original post.Also, please avoid making long quotes while posting.Request all the MadCapz, the Oldies and all Puys to help the moderators as much as possible in the coming days to maintain the sanctity of discussions. Feel free to report any case of misleading people.Please make sure that multiple threads are not created, meaningless posts are at minimum and we help out as many users as possible.

Cheers! 🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

Cat Centre: MC Saxena College, Lucknow Slot :10 AM

1. Attempts 45 (19 in section 1 and 26 in section 2)

2) Your last mock score : 99.56

3) How was your experience of the test: Smooth. No glitches.

4) What was the surprise element for you: None.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better: Sleep well the previous night πŸ˜ƒ

6) Your overall analysis of the exam: Moderate section 1. 15 questions doable. Good practice can take it to 20-22. Moderate to difficult VA. Had to read two passages twice. 1-2 nightmare questions from parajumbles and scentence correction. 2 LR sets were sitters. One was very vague. I have a hunch it was wrong. Or maybe I just could not get it!

BIN KHOD JALEE.....................NAA HOYE UJJALA.

CAT Center, Date and Slot:

Bharati Vidyapeeth, Pune

QA - 20 VA - 22

2) Your last mock score?

AIMCAT 1402 : 96.xx

SIMCAT 9 : 97.xx

It was good.

Rather tough LR's.

If you've given any of the Test Series Mocks(TIME/IMS/CL), he/she should be fine.

QA - Moderate to Difficult. Dominated by Geo, Trigo, Functions & Co-ordinate.

DI - 2 Sets were easy. Overall Moderate.

I felt an overall attempt of 20+ questions were good.

VA - Moderate.FIB, PJ, Pick out the odd sentence were fine. Para-completion was tough.

LR - Moderate to Difficult. None were sitters. 1 was tough.

RC - 1 Moderate. Another set took 5-7 mins just to understand.

Overall i felt the paper was moderate-difficult side. A raw score of 100 would be brilliant i think.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share?

None.

CAT Center, Date and Slot: JNTU Hyderabad, 24th Oct,2013; 10:00 am

1) How many attempts you have made? QA-23 VA-24 rolleyes

2) Your last mock score? Practice sessions do not count πŸ˜ƒ

3) How was your experience of the test? Good job Prometric πŸ‘

4) What was the surprise element for you? Hardly 1 or 2 questions from numbers 😐

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? You must be kidding mg

QA - Beautiful paper. 4-5 Geometry; 4-5 on functions & graphs; Barring CI/SI, log, venn diagrams, profit & loss, rest all made their presence felt. Overall QA- Moderate difficulty level. Apart from 2-3 sitters rest all require sound basics & solid thinking. DI - easy-moderate;

RC- 1 easy to comprehend & easy questions; 1 easy to comprehend but tricky questions; other on Post-modernism. Entirely out of world type 😠 left it the moment I saw the post-modernism term.

VA- 3 PJ, 2 PC, 2 out of context, 1 SC, 2 word usage, 1 FIB

LR - 2 easy & 1 moderate

Happy that I attempted all LR & DI ques, unlike last year

a) Do not panic. Not getting into an IIM is not the end of the world. CAT is just another mock.

b) Enjoy the paper

c) Rather than investing time on mocks now, brush up your basics. Best of luck to all who are yet to give πŸ˜ƒ πŸ‘

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Trinity dwarka,24th october, morning slot

1) How many attempts you have made? 21 in QA/DI, 11 in section 2

2) Your last mock score? CAT 12 - 95.37%ile

3) How was your experience of the test? felt odd as i was giving an exam after a year GAP .. uncomfortable throughout the exam.

4) What was the surprise element for you? TOUGHEST SECTION 2 I have ever faced.
I am not good at VA/RC's but always managed to do all the LR's comfortably.... this time around LR were tough man (not even 1 set was easy and i thought 1 of the set was wrong or less information is given for it).
2 pj's ,2 pc's ,2 WU ,3 sentence correction ,1 FIB ---all tough and I could attempt only 1 RC (and this RC I had to read twice to comprehend )
I was looking for RC with some direct question but mila kya :babaji ka thullu:

couple of question from the section 1 seemed familiar that's y i was able to attempt 21 questions in this section.... didn't use paper pencil for those questions .section 1 had couple of questions from numbers(easy) ,around 5 questions from geometry (1 easy rest were above moderate level ),2 di's easy not so much intensive, functions questions , algebra was tough ,1 pnc tough(didn't solve)

GAMES AND TOURNAMENT }--- in section 1 😞 (part of DI i guess)

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? No.

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.Overall exam seemed tough to me ..... talked witha few guys after the exam and they felt the same.

Sleep tight 😁 the night before the exam
what can i expect guys with 18-19 correct in section 1 for sure and 8-9 correct in section 2 ???.i know the attempt in section 2 is less 😞

Cat Center : Ahmedabad 10 AM Slot
1. No of attempts : 20 in quant and 23 in verbal
3. experience with the test was nice. the supervisor was friendly and nice.
just focus on the basics rather than the old papers. requires solid basics and a good selection as to pick which to select and which to avoid.

CAT Center, Date and Slot: IFIM, Bangalore - 24, 10AM

QA - 15 splat

VA - 21 splat

2) Your last mock score?

CAT 2012 - 96.55

Though this was not my first attempt, I fumbled like anything. splat

One vague LR set 😠 It had something missing. Wasted like 10-12 mins and still could not do it. splat

Utilize the time between the two sections properly.

QA - Difficult. Lengthy questions, dominated by algebra and geometry. No Arithmetic.

DI - 2 Sets were moderate (One set on pie chart, one heavy on calculations)

VA - Easy to Moderate. Standard questions you like you see in mocks.

LR - Difficult - Vague, Absurd πŸ˜› One set took me 5 mins. And that is all I could attempt here. Even in AIMCAT's I never attempted less than 2 sets. splat

RC - Moderate to Difficult - 2 Passages (One on Riots and other on land were easy to read but had close answer choices) 1 Passage was out of the world, could not even read it coz of that shitty incomplete LR. 😠

7) Any other query or something you would like to share?

Just stay calm and give your best. I literally hate CAT now. So damn unpredictable and with difficulty varying within the slots..I don't know how they gonna scale the scores. I am not going to waste another year. Time to focus on OMET's.

have fijs(fact, inference and judgement) appeared in any of the papers?

15 - quant 20 VA

2) Your last mock score?

aimcats - 75 %le to 95 %le range ,

The quant was moderate to difficult, with lot of questions from geometry, which were surprisingly simple to answer. 2 DI sets were completely doable, didn't get the chance to see the third one 😐😐. My quant is generally weak, therefore didn't take any risk while marking the answers. There were few questions from functions, which looked easy but took lot of time to comprehend. Few questions were similar to previous slots, so i suggest to ask your friends, about the questions , you never know, you may land up with a bonusmg. Overall 17 -18 would have been a good attempt.

VA , was tough!. One completely incomprehensible passage, difficult and close answer choices as well. Grammar was moderate. One LR was un- doable, had some vague data or i guess, the question was not framed properly. wasted 12-13 minutes on it, and just guessed one answer for it. Overall, i am not sure about the accuracy here, as i could attempt very less LR's and RC's were tough as well.

Tricky LR and difficult and close RC's passages, few on philosophy, art and other crap, which TIME usually asks.

Make sure to check all the questions in quant section, at least there were 3-4 sitters, you don't want to miss them

Moderate quant, tricky and tough verbal section.

CAT 2013 , barbaad! no hopes, with this one. 😟😠.
All the best to everyone. Just keep calm, its just an exam!.

CAT Center, Date and Slot: ISBR Bangalore, 10 AM

19+19

2) Your last mock score?

95.86 (CAT 2012)

Ditched my MBA plans after last CAT. So wrote the exam with no prep and no tension. I think the standard of questions was very good. But one could solve 3-4 questions using shortcuts. 2 questions from an LR caselet could be just solved using answer options and the solution for the previous question of the caselet. This CAT, I have focussed on accuracy. Now coming to the individual sections :

Section 1 : Quant was moderate-difficult. DI was moderate. Heavily loaded with Geo, CG, Algebra and Functions. CG was 11-12th level. DI was normal. But one question didn't have correct answer options. No. of sitters in Section 1 - 3-4

Section 2 : Insane VA with very close answer choices. 2 RCs were moderate and 1 was very difficult. 2 LR caselets were moderate - tough and lengthy. Skipped the 3rd one after a glance. No. of sitters in Section 2 - 2-3.

No surprises.

Use highlighting in RCs. Helps a lot.

Obviously, this CAT is tough. Focus on accuracy, else normalisation will make your score highly abnormal.

Technical glitches at centre is annoying. The test was loading one at a time. My test started around 10:20 AM.

1) How many attempts you have made?qa 21+va21

2) Your last mock score?qa (99.4) va (82)

3) How was your experience of the test?enjoyed giving my first cat

4) What was the surprise element for you?difficult lr and rcs

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?nopes

qa was moderately tough....anyone with good basics and has done vigorous practise can easily solve 22-23....

di-moderately easy....gt a set on games and tournaments.....😠

geometry-very easy....u jst need to analyze the figure and solve....if u r good at geometry they will be sitters for u...

coordinate-again easy bt lenthy...

tsd-difficult...

functions-difficult

so overall a difficult section.....

lr-difficult,tricky and lenthy.....

rcs-1 easy,1 moderate and 1 veiiiii difficult.....

va-easy.....

can anyone tell my approx percentile qa 19 should be definetely correct and va around 17....it will be really helpful @sid2222000 @scrabbler

1) How many attempts you have made? 27 QA/DI and 24 in VA/LR

2) Your last mock score? 99.XX although that was a while ago
3) How was your experience of the test? Quite like that in procs

4) What was the surprise element for you? This was my first attempt so.....although I was a little surprised about them taking away all stationary and providing fixed number of sheets

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? This may sound stupid but I think sometimes the next and previous button don't work if not clicked at their center. Maybe it was something else

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc. I think the exam was not as tough as some of the AIMCATs which was a relief. More questions on geometry and from algebra. Little of arithmetic. Some questions of geometry were directly from coaching material
LR was easy although 1 set was confusing

7) Any other query or something you would like to share. Again about LR, I would say that it was not very properly given. In two of the questions multiple answers were possible and it was asked which is correct although only one of the possible answers was given in the options. So I guess, we had to mark that although I think, the correct question would have been to ask which of the following can be true
For RC, there were 2 tone questions, and most of the rest were too of the form that which can or cannot be inferred from the passage, so the whole passage had to be read carefully and understood.

Best of luck to everyone giving the exam in the coming days πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

1) How many attempts you have made? 16-17 in

QA/DI (15 are correct and don't remember the rest 1-2) and 24-25 in VA/LR (9 LR are correct and have had very good accuracy in english max 3-4 wrong )

2) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.

The quant was damn tough. It had trignometry, highly calculative DI and coordinate geometry, paper had 3-4 quadratic equations. tougher than most AIMCATS. LR was easy and verbal was moderate. RC was also moderate.

Best of luck to everyone giving the exam in the coming days

Buddies!!!! I attended CAT 2K13 2dy.. 24th oct... was able to attend 11 QA n i feel min 9 correct n 15 in valr with min 10 correct... Can u guys say hw much can i expect???!!! 😞 Feel really bad to d no. f attempts..

1) How many attempts you have made? this was my first attempt

2) Your last mock score? couldnt give mocks...hectic college work 😠

3) How was your experience of the test? pretty good...expected the strictness n stuff..comfortable ambience and air conditioned πŸ˜›

4) What was the surprise element for you? easy LR's....dint require brains at all..just follow instructions in the question.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? it can be faster cause when i gave cmat it was very convenient and smooth..cat comps were slow and the moment u log in it acts like its hung or something(yes i got that momentary chill running down my spine everytime it happened)

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc. well i wasnt completely thorough with section A so got busted there..DI was solvable..i couldnt do all but it was there if i had more time...moderate..english was moderate vocabulary was understandable and wasnt hard to understand the passages....LR was suprisingly very easy full marks on that(expected more LR cause my strength is in that but got more passages)

yes...wen u are sitting in the centre or at the centre...think of good things that happened or something funny....it relaxes ur mind...convince urself that u noe wat u need to noe...keep good thoughts in ur mind..it affects the way to handle questions trust me....overall
Qunats- moderate-tough
DI-moderate
RC and Eng-moderate-tough
LR-moderate

Convince urself that u noe wat u need to noe...and keep smiling..it really helps..
Best of luck!!!

1) How many attempts you have made? 22-24 ; 24 = 46-48

2) Your last mock score? : ( Range from 85.x to 99.66 )

CAT 2012 : OA 96.XX

3) How was your experience of the test? :

I woke up at 8.00 o clock . but thought i should sleep more . so finally woke up at 10.00 . I have already planned to read MY JOURNEY : Transforming Dreams into Actions . So i started at 10.00 finished 100 pages by 11.30 ..took a power nap for 1 hour .. Had my brunch . checked the position of centre with Google map .

On the Way to CAT Centre my feelings were :

Section 1 :

Section 1
First 14 mins : 10 questions
After 14 min : i saw the timer :, i am back .. and after that next 35 min : i could solve only 6 question 😞 stupid me .. First time i left 1 DI set and feels really bad 😞 Overconfidence
Believe me guys : the CAT timer is the FAST πŸ˜ƒ . unlike mocks .:P

So i end up with 22-23 + Attempts decent i would say

SECTION 2 : I should not talk about it:
What was it : Actually i freaked out .. I think i attempted all the questions from Heart

Although I have given CAT / mocks in the past : But for the first time : i m feeling like this πŸ˜›

Final verdict :

QA = 99.83
VA = 74. X
OA = 98.45

CAT Center, Date and Slot: DCE,Tambaram,Chennai, 24OCT - Morning Slot

1) How many attempts you have made? 13 in QA/DI😠 and 15-17 in LR

2) Your last mock score? CAT 2012- 45.xx, CAT 2013 -70.xx. Didnt attempt any mock.

3) How was your experience of the test?- The best centre I have attended. Prometric staffs were good. (last year centres being very poor in noise level)

4) What was the surprise element for you?- no questions from Numbers,sdt,p&c;

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? use highlight option in LR efficiently

6) Your overall analysis of the exam.

Tough or very tough (acc to me)

More questions from co-ordinate geometry,algebra

Attended only 5 questions in quants 😠😠😠😠😠 . 2 DI set was easy and other 1 was moderate and doable but little time consuming.

- 2 LR was very easy πŸ‘ΌπŸ‘Ό. I finished in less than 10 mins. But wasted time in 3 rd LR and could not solve all the questions. 1 RC -easy. other 2 RCs had questions which will make you to read the paragraphs twice or thrice to answer.

- Parajumbles which I usually attend with confidence was very tough today.1 FIB -tough.

Suggestions:

Dont panic if you were not able to attend first few questions. If you feel 1st Quants questions very tough, start doing DI and come back to quants.

Queries:

My work experience will be 4 years by July. But I am planning to prepare hard next year too. (planned this year also but dint execute) . So if I join in 2015, my work exp will be 5 years but I have more ambition to do MBA in India's top university. Will that 5 years exp affect my career?

Your advice for me to excel next year... Its almost impossible for me to write mocks with my work. So can I quit my work and concentrate fully on this ? Will that be helpful?

Waiting for your suggestions.

Puys suggestions plz... Wat should I revise in these final days in verbal.... Wats the trend in cat 13 in prev days... Which topics of the foll are occuring: 1. grammar qns (find the incorrect or correct sentences wrt grammar punctuation bla bla qns) 2. PC 3.confusible words 4.word usage (will concentrating on phrasal verbs lists suffice here) 5.FIJ 6. FIB 7. sentence deletion (this is same as out of context qn nah ???)