CAT 2013 (Sunday, 20th October 2013 - Day 4) -- Exam Experience

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :*CAT Center, Date and Slot:*1) How many attempts you have made?2) Your last mock score?_If you are there at repository thre…

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :

CAT Center, Date and Slot:

1) How many attempts you have made?

2) Your last mock score?

If you are there at repository thread, please provide the link here.

3) How was your experience of the test?

4) What was the surprise element for you?

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share.

Any post on this thread, not following the format OR any post trying to mislead will be deleted.

Important :-While discussing, please follow the Disclaimers Regarding conduct of CAT strictly. Anyone found violating will be summarily banned and in case of any enquiry pagalguy.com will cooperate with the investigating authorities.Also, if you want to ask any query to any of the users who has taken the test, please PM him/her.Let this thread be only for the experiences of the people who are taking CAT .If someone feels that something needs to be added, you can edit your original post.Also, please avoid making long quotes while posting.Request all the MadCapz, the Oldies and all Puys to help the moderators as much as possible in the coming days to maintain the sanctity of discussions. Feel free to report any case of misleading people.Please make sure that multiple threads are not created, meaningless posts are at minimum and we help out as many users as possible.

Cheers!🍻

1) How many attempts you have made? - 15-16+30 = 45-46

2) Your last mock score? = 99. soemthing percentile in the last couple of mocks.

3) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc. -

Found quant surprisingly quite tough! Hope this was a 'tough' slot. Verbal was easy.

CENTER - SMG GROUP

Dr.Rajkumar Road, Rajaji Nagar, Bengaluru Karnataka 560010

DATE-20/10/2013

MORNING SHIFT-10:00 AM

SUB--NOT ALLOWED TO APPEAR EXAM I REACHED AT 9:20AM

DEAR FRENDS:

ABOVE TEST CENTER IS VERY CONFUSING NO PROPER BOARD OR NO ONE KNOW EVEN I WAS NEAR THIS CENTRE AT 8:30AM.. VERY ARROGANT PPL IN THIS TESTING CENTRE WITOUT LISTENING ANYTHING DIRECTLY THEY SAID WE WILL NOT ALLOW YOU FOR TEST, ME WITH AROUND 10-12 STUDENT RETURN BACK . SO PLS HELP ME WHERE AND TO WHOM I COMPLAIN IF POSSIBLE FOR rescheduleing MY DATES ....or CAT 2013 IS OVER FOR ME PLSSSSSSSSSSSSS

ALL FEEDBACK ARE MOST WELCOME IS DRE ANY STUDENT HELPLINE NO PROMETRIC OR IIM

Cat Center: Bhopal,20 Oct 2013,Morning Slot

Attempts: Section 1:23 Section2:27
Cat percentile last year:96.3
Experience: Quant was lengthy but very much doable. Skipped 1 DI set completely. Geometry,functions and algebra were key topics. Found Verbal to be tricky(especially RC)! Got confused between 2 options in 3-4 questions..LR was a cakewalk.
Surprise element: Parajumbles were lengthy.Para completion and RC was confusing.
Tips: Keep moving in the quant section. DO NOT get stuck at any question or DI set. Try to keep composure in the dying minutes of each section.(That's where many people lose out.)
Overall: Tricky verbal, cakewalk LR, lengthy but doable quant.
All the best!πŸ‘

Took the test at iDreamz, Kormangala, Bangalore- 10 AM

QA/DI- not sure- 8 DI+ 10-12 QA, VA-28 (left a couple in RC that were too close to call)

2) Your last mock score?

4th timer so going with actuals- 2010-82%ile, 2011-97.51(sec1-89, sec2-99), 2012-95.26(sec1-84, sec2-97)

Smooooooth

From reviews by puys over the last week, was expecting a tougher LR. But out of 3 sets one was a sitter. other 2 had 4 variables but very much doable

If u are willing to take the chance that the trend of tough quant and easier DI will continue, then it may be useful having a crack at all the DI sets first.. and then make sure, i repeat, make absolutely sure u see all the QA questions at least once, as sitters are few and far between, and u dont wanna miss those

6) Your overall analysis of the exam.

Quant a little on the tougher side, DI, LR fairly easy, VA simple except for some close options in RC Qs

Can someone pls elaborate on the highlighting tool (for RC) in this years CAT interface. Can one highlight text from different parts of the passage. Thanks rolleyes

do they let u , use the restroom! concepts, composure, nerves all aside, i screw up tests if i need to pee and they dont let me 😁

What role soes accuracy play in percentile. Suppose I get 24 right and 5 wrong for score of 67 and another person gets 22 right and 1 wrong, qhat would be ou respective percentiles

Sinhgad Insti of Mgmt, Pune, 20 Oct & 3:15pm

QA/DI--24 (incl 1-2 wrong guesses out of panic and I expect maybe a couple more)

VA/LR--24-25 (relatively Sure in maybe 15)

2) Your last mock score?

SIMCAT 09(proc in unproc mode):73+64

http://pagalguy.com/forums/cat-and-related-bschools/2013-mock-score-repository-t-100435/p-17027227/

I was the 1st one to enter the exam hall.. Had to reach early considering the ambiguity of the centre..

Bad Luck continues... The Lady near me, her system didnot start for 1hour when ours started..[I can pretty much imagine her condition.. Sorry for her.]..

But in the process of every1 talking to prometric guys and other server guys near me inbetween, consoling her etc, distracted me a lot...... After 50min-1 hr she was shifted to another computer,, Till then my concentration was breaking periodically, however hard I tried.... Cost me 2 qns which could have been attempted and also responsible for my mistaking of additional geometry qns....

1 thing I feel, it could have been me instead of her,, In that way,I am much better off...

Nothing much,, Prev Reviews made me aware of QA toughness..

Come On.. No1 needs tips here

QA--Toughest QA since 2011.... Geometry--They looked very difficult but require common sense,, Guessed in panic plus desperation over the prev disturbance,, and made them wrong,, just realised after the exam how easy they were in reality.. :banghead: In my opinion 2-3 qns were unattemptable unless some1 had come across those earlier.. Those who are strong in QA can go for 23-26 attempts.... I screwed on my chance..

[I panicked like hell in last 10-12mins of QA/DI and couldnot add any correct answer to my tally... That includes not solving 2 doable number system qns,, Instead of 4 correct, I got 2 UA & 2 wrong,,, :banghead: In mocks, the last 10-12min,after DI, is the time when I do 4-5 QA qns]

DI-- Doable.. Just dont lose focus

VA/RC~Maybe slightly easier than prev yrs but still I was confused in a few.. Got confused in 2 options of 3-4 RC qns(and still went for those), left 1-2 RC qns,, Rem 4 qns were easy if pondered over, I think..

LR- Read carefully and they are straightforward even if 1 may appear lengthy..Time taken for 3 LRs-(5min,10min,15-20min--And still not sure here in the last one bcoz it was very lengthy and was max-min possible type... Might be correct or wrong)

DONT PANIC>>>.. The paper is tough overall in QA and atleast 1 of LRs,, I panicked big time and it may have cost me a lot and most probably a call from A/B/C/L.....

NO DISCUSSIONS and NO PMing plz,, Signing Off,,,
Considering the fact that I was so confident in 2011 and still didnot clear CAT.. This time I feel hopeless.... I missed my chance of a 100%ile or a top 50 (and actually may end around/below 99 considering those wrong guesses I made aiming for that plus ego issues over less attempts) in QA/DI.. and VA/LR , pata nahin... I don't have hopes here.... Was confused and panicked big time..

Maybe CAT is not in my Luck.. If i panic in an aptitude exam, How can I think freely in a real life tough business situation.. Not my cup of tea, I guess.. Most probably My journey to IIMs ends here.... ATB to fellow aspirants...

[I was thinking my self to be Rohit Sharma of prev yr[doing well in mocks and screwing the main exam],, Maybe I am Ishant Sharma, a repetitive failure] ..

ITS ghaziabad

Ghaziabad

20 October 2013

3:15 pm

Section1(QADI) 17

Section2(VALR) 15

2) Your last mock score?

Process was smooth test was delivered on time.Satisfied with the arrangement done by Prometric.

Tough LR

NA

It was good mix of easy & tough questions but mostly tough ones in LR. Quant was easy but couldnot attempt more questions due to my poor speed.

Stay cool & calm Donot PANIC as it will lead to creating more problems rather than solving.

@snayak89 i am in the same soup.
1) 19+22
2) 99+ in CL PMs,SIMs
3) Unexpectedly difficult. Red hot difficulty level in QA/LR. High standard of questions across areas. Never did 4) Some QA questions brought tears to my eyes. Initially because they were beautiful. Later on because i failed to solve them.
5) None
6) QA - Tough. Lots of Eureka questions. You will do well if you are somehow related to Archimedes. Otherwise, ...
DI - Mod. Standard questions. One difficult set which i left alone but others might have solved with some effort.
LR - Tough. Could solve only 1 set. If you are good with conditional logic, you could solve one more. If you make puzzles for a living you could do all three.
VA/RC - Mod. Lone solace in what was otherwise an unrelenting massacre.

Think the online CAT is easy? Think again.

Attempted 29 and 30 respectively 😞

CAT Center, Date and Slot: Aruna Shah Inst of Mgmnt,Mumbai,20th oct,3.15 pm

QA/DI-22 (2 silly mistakes 😠 )

VA/LR-30 rolleyes

2) Your last mock score?

1401-93.92

Smooth,glitch-free

VA(Difficult to Very Difficult),RC/PJ/PC were easy to read,but questions were tricky,options were too close for comfort. AIMCAT VA s***s.

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? NA

Very few sitters in QA,1 DI set was difficult,wasted precious time here.2 sets were easy-moderate.LR-2 sets were easy-moderate,1 set was lengthy and difficult.VA/RC-πŸŽ‚

CAT Center, Date and Slot: 3:15 PM , Eiilm Kolkata

Quant - 21 & VA-LR - 20

2) Your last mock score?

CAT 2011 : 84.26

CAT 2012 : 94.99

2013 AIMCAT Season: 89 - 97

As usual , Prometric has done a great job in terms of arrangement . No technical glitches .

Weird LR and Functions (No comments on VA 😁😁)

If you have given few mocks then nothing to say (I am sure everyone over here given the exams before 🍻)

This is my 3rd time CAT and got the toughest ever QA paper .. OMG 😁

The quant track mostly on higher maths .. Geometry , function , quadratic , 1 probability .. few from number,time nd work .. DI sets are pretty good .. please try to utilize your main effort in this part as you never know what is waiting for you in quant area ..

LR & VA : LR is just out of the box .. 1 sitter , 1 moderate and 1 emotional atyachar πŸŽ‚.. wasted more than 30 mins over here as these are the only where you are sure about the answers ..

VA part : On 2011 CAT , I was Ishant Sharma in VA and now I am Ashwin .. so no comments from my side ,, but still its doable and with respect to lr and quant , its on a moderate side ..

This is my 3rd attempt and this yr my target is to increase 5 percentile marks 🍻.. but now I am feeling wooo..1 more year I have to wait for my dream 😴..

Just 1 suggestion from my end .. your basics will be your key .. dont try something new at this moment of prep time , just cover your basics .. that will be enough because this paper do not ask for a huge no of attempt .. ATB to all .. Thanks in Advance πŸ‘πŸ‘

My detailed experience -->

Puys, this tool looks interesting..it givs statistics on d difficilty levels and questions attempted (max,min and avg).. though ther r few responses as of now..guess it acts as a nice tool for analysing difficulty for ppl who alredy taken ppl yet to take..thoughts?

U can also chek individual responses here

n see d real experiences here (go thr n click on replies link)

Cheers!

i didnt realize dis is also an MBA community...hope PG doesnt get offended by my posts.. 🍻

Are FIBs too being asked in xams???

CAT Center, Date and Slot:20th Oct,Auratech,Mumbai

1) How many attempts you have made? 38-41

2) Your last mock score?97.xx(Endeavor)

The level of difficulty has increased by leaps and bounds as compared to last year. Quant had very few sitters...1-2 here and there...there were around 4 geometry,a couple of TSD questions..3 from numbers..the rest of it was peppered with function..graphs and logs..

DI was a life saver though..was a lil calculative and a lil time consuming...but considering the fact the the rest of it is a minefield...i would gladly marry DI..

Coming to VA...Verbal has always been my strength(99.04 in CAT 11 :P) but this one blew me away!!

Got a couple of passages from the same topic and the content was super-dense...questions of one were workable though...the second passage had difficult questions too :(...

"Fast Food" verbal questions were also on the tougher side with the options being touch and go..

The difficulty level which was relentless across sections.

Keep a cool head..and never resort to guess work when the chips are down

AS they say...when it's tough for you it's tough for others too...oh wait...that doesn't quite extend to online exams...does it :D

Just go through your basics....and keep your calm on C-day and things will be good.!!