CAT 2013 (Saturday, 19th October 2013 - Day 3) -- Exam Experience

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :*CAT Center, Date and Slot:*1) How many attempts you have made?2) Your last mock score?_If you are there at repository thre…

To assure that the thread is put to the best use, please post your CAT 2013 experience in the following format :

CAT Center, Date and Slot:

1) How many attempts you have made?

2) Your last mock score?

If you are there at repository thread, please provide the link here.

3) How was your experience of the test?

4) What was the surprise element for you?

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.

7) Any other query or something you would like to share.

Any post on this thread, not following the format OR any post trying to mislead will be deleted.

Important :-While discussing, please follow the Disclaimers Regarding conduct of CAT strictly. Anyone found violating will be summarily banned and in case of any enquiry pagalguy.com will cooperate with the investigating authorities.Also, if you want to ask any query to any of the users who has taken the test, please PM him/her.Let this thread be only for the experiences of the people who are taking CAT .If someone feels that something needs to be added, you can edit your original post.Also, please avoid making long quotes while posting.Request all the MadCapz, the Oldies and all Puys to help the moderators as much as possible in the coming days to maintain the sanctity of discussions. Feel free to report any case of misleading people.Please make sure that multiple threads are not created, meaningless posts are at minimum and we help out as many users as possible.

Cheers!🍻

1) How many attempts you have made?:44

2) Your last mock score?:93%ile

3) How was your experience of the test?: glitch free, nice center,only 4 students at center.

4) What was the surprise element for you?: difficulty level of quant

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better?nopes

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.: just keep calm,overall paper is easier than mocks

7) Any other query or something you would like to share.: one LR question had 2 correct answers....

Hello everyone
My attempts :
QA :18-19 (expecting 1-2 wrong )😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠😠
VA:23-24 (No clue about this section) 😠😠😠

Last mock score : CL Proc 10 :(91.32 percentile)
All PG mocks (80 to 90 %ile)

Experience : First of all it was not an easy paper at all .. In QA (upto 15 attempts is fine ...but moving beyond 19+ was a tough task )

VA : Options in passages were really very dicey ...I stuck in very easy LR ... Only one correct sentence and fill the blank ......Have no clue where it would lead me.

No surprises ...Paper was mixed balance of all ..however saw some very difficult questions in QA (around 2-3)

Please have a proper sleep one night before ..I slept only for 4-5 hours due to anxiety ..Don't eat anything in morning ,if you do not usually eat .. I ate two bananas and had spasms of vomit twice ..But during exam I was ok)

Toughness : It was moderate to tough.Please don't go with any mindset that XX number of attempts with YY number of accuracy will bring ZZ percentile (and how can be one can be very sure with one's accuracy here I really donno πŸ˜› ) ..It will only lead to disaster .

I am not expecting calls from anywhere with such attempts ..And really I don't care about CAT and IIM's ,I was just serious for it because IRMA now accepts CAT score .... Hey bhagwan 90 cross ho jaaye bas ..atleast IRMA ya MICA se call aa jaaye .................................Now i am dependent only on XAT for my MICA call .

Good bye CAT ...... May your soul rest in peace .. mgmgmgmgmgmgmgmgmgmgmgmgmgmgmgmgmgmg

I have a Pagalguy T shirt which I have printed for myself ... The one good experience of CAT and ONLY
good part was of having very good friends @ankita14 @BlackMamba11 @RoadKill @Ibanez @arpit595546 and Pagalguy ..... I really donn care what would going to be result .. But still I am happy .. and
Even one my suggestion to you that please refrain from all padhai likhai before one - two days of exam ... And how your exam went please do not bother yourself....because CAT is not LAST option in life .... Good luck to all PUYS for your endeavours

53 (23 QA + 30 VA)

2) Your last mock score?

(99.77 percentile in TIME. It could be a fluke as generally I was getting in the range 95-97%)

The test was of the same pattern as of last year. Difficulty of Quant was a few notches high while Verbal was a bit easier. LR was also easier than last year.

Did read the reviews of earlier slots here, hence I was not surprised by the higher difficulty in Quant. But boy it was tough.. 😞

Stating an obvious fact - Not to spend too much time on any particular ques. And accuracy will be a key in CAT this year specially in the Quant section.

Same pattern as last year. 2 RC were of moderate difficulty and one was tough. LR was doable.

All the best !! πŸ˜ƒ

48 (24 QA + 24 VA)

2) Your last mock score?

97.4 ( CL ) and 98.13 ( CAT 2012 )

Now, this answer will be completely different to what you have read in earlier posts.

QA + DI was easy. All questions doable. Wish I had done 2 more. 😞

VA was okay. LR f*cked me. Did not attempt 1 LR and I am not really sure about the other LR.

LR f*cked me.

Got a gut feeling, this won't be my year 😞

I am a warrior and will step in the battlefield next year, in my 3rd attempt.
ATB everyone πŸ˜ƒ

how many attempts you have made ?36 ( 12QA + 24 VA ) For me quant was very difficult :'( ...hard luck with CAT

My results(19 th Oct 2nd slot):-
Quant and DI- Score 137 Percentile 97.43 (Attempts - approx 20)
Verbal and Logical- Score 144 Percentile 98.88 (Attempts - approx 24)
Overall:- 99.28
Paper :- I found my slot tough. Both quants and verbal. The number of sitters were the least in any online CAT that I have taken so far.Although I am out of preparation for 2.5 years. Still I felt the paper was the toughest online CAT I had taken.
I have removed my earlier detailed analysis as i thought an analysis along with the result would be helpful.
I do feel that accuracy and the question selection plays a good role in 2 section format CAT.
However, with the online format I do feel factors such as your slot, the type of ppl taking the exam in your slot significantly decide ur fate also. With the online format, there are many factors which we have no control upon contrary to the days of paper pencil. Anyways, all the best. Will take the exam again next year. :)

Past:- Already IIFT Delhi 2013 passout and happily employed. Take CAT every year just to check where I stand.
CAT 2012:- 98.40

CAT Center, Date and Slot:1st slot

1) How many attempts you have made?(16-17 in qa & 23-24 in va) mar gaya main qa mein, 6-7 really gud questions in qa but 12-13 were really sitters. 16-17 is a real lowly no. of attempts. agar -34 galat ho gaye to kahani khatam. But i had a gud tym wid sec2. i was very comfortable wid ths sec. 3 LR sets very easy, grammar too was easy n RC too was easy to moderate although left 1 rc. I am expecting gud one in sec2 n am praying ki sec1 mera achha aaye. pls pls pls pls pls...............

2) Your last mock score?

3) How was your experience of the test? people should hold there nerves n keep themselves cool like dhoni. i was very comfortable during mocks but aaj test shuru hote hi i started feeling headache, itz jus weird.

4) What was the surprise element for you?i've been doing gud in qa but today i m jus not confident enf

5) Any tips to handle the computer based exam better? hold your nerves

6) Your overall analysis of the exam. Toughness, new topics, sections etc.tips for future aspirants: stop following TIME. CL is more relevant and practical. CL is the best i would say

Hello guys...

Is the percentile calculator introduced by CL a genuine one ??

19th Oct 2nd Slot
** I am studying at a B-school so went for CAT without any prep
Arguably the toughest CAT, as I have been writing CAT for the past 3 years I can tell from my experience
In this slot 42-45 should be considered a good amount

Questions were not same for everyone as my cousin also took the test and she had many different questions, so I dont know how will the normalization work
Attempts around 22-23 in QA and 27 in VA
Last Year CAT 89.55
2011 CAT 97.xx

My strength always has been VA, but for a strange reason I have always managed to score more in QA πŸ˜› , jokes apart, I found RCs to be easy, but then they surely demanded your time and thorough analysis, LR was a bit calculative
QA was moderate to high and DI was also calculative

All in all it was a bit on the difficult side, I believe 40+ is a good enough number of attempts, if accuracy is maintained

Auratech Vikhroli, 19th Oct, 3:15 pm.

Another year, another CAT. I usually take the afternoon slot as I function best post noon. Consequently I usually get up late. Surprisingly today I was up by 8 (no it wasn't nerves...!!) and by 8:45 I was bathed and ready. Only one snag - I planned to leave at 11:30! Checked Gmail, Cricinfo and PG, still too much time to spare...

Fortunately, a solution was at hand. I sat myself down and watched two episodes of Dr Who, wrapping up season 5. After almost 2 hours of heart-stopping sci-fi action, I looked at my watch and realised that the end of the universe would have to await my return. I set out for Powai, and reached the centre reasonably uneventfully on the dot of 1:45 (skipped lunch as it would have made me sleepy). There was a fair line (more than I expected, the lab was nearly full despite the early date), and it was hot, but with much foresight I had lugged along some (n)ice cold pepsi and so was not unduly bothered.

The entry processes were fairly smooth, and half an hour later I was ensconced in a chair, staring at a prometric logo and prepared to be bored out of my skull for the next hour or so. I was not disappointed. Finally we started the test.

30 + 30 = 60
Don't read too much into that though - those who know me would be aware that speed and not accuracy is my forte. I invariably finish the paper within time (and invariably make several errors) and almost always attempt all. In this case I had about 4 min left in QA and about 15 in VA, which I spent rechecking what I could.

2) Your last mock score?

153/180 = 99.85%ile (PG Mock 8) highest mock score of my season.

Smooth, those who have written CAT before should find it familiar to the point of boredom πŸ˜›

No surprise as such (maybe the lack of phrasal verbs - my strength 😞 ). A fairly tough paper overall, a few sitters scattered in each section for those with the fortitude to seek them. A few time-bombs too, which looked reasonable but took 4-5 minutes of sweating eventually to get close to an answer.

If you have written Sims/Mocks or a past CAT, you should be fine.

Toughness was pretty good - I would expect a pretty solid attempt in QA to be 18-20 for someone with good accuracy. Even 16 might suffice. In VA maybe a bit more, since there were a lot of questions with close options (dare I say ambiguous) even one Parajumble where all 4 options tempted me x-( So accuracy was hard to guarantee...

QA was loaded with Geo as others in earlier slots had reported, 6-7 questions in Geo + Co Geo. Rest was evenly distributed across a wide variety of topics - Alg, Arith, Logs, Trigo, Functions, Progressions, Counting, Misc Maths....you name it, it was there.

DI - 3 sets, 9 qns, not too tough, but 1 quite calculative. Answer choices well-spaced so could approximate to an extent in most qns.

RC - 3 passages 10 qns (3 + 4 + 3) not long but informationally dense with inferential questions and stuff

LR 3 sets 9 qns all medium level, but with some effort most people should've been able to do 2 sets at least.

VA 11 qns - PJ, PC, Grammar, FIB, Sentence Elimination. Only the FIBs and 1 PJ were certs for me. I took my chances with the rest - am rather risk-friendly πŸ˜ƒ

Nothing as such! ATB all...

regards
scrabbler

For all the solutions pagalguy has given me, here's my way of saying thank you:

1) 25 in maths - 1 wrong for sure; 1 doubtful; others, meticulously triple checked. DI still can go wrong in terms of calculations

Advice: Time management is highly recommended. DI's were lengthy and calculation intensive.

28 in English - Complicated RCs; Easy LRs; Did not attempt extremely ambiguous SCs Finished paper in 40 min because i had to pee.

Advice: Wear warm clothes. Go to the bathroom before you take your test.

2) No clue. Rank 2, i think

3) Boring! Too long a wait. GMAT is way better that way

4) No T&W;/TSD. And I loved those questions

5) Dont ever take pencil paper tests. You'll appreciate the loss of time when your head swivels from the screen to your paper.

6) Tougher than most Aimcats i have ever taken. LEARN TIME MANAGEMENT

7)

CAT Center, Date and Slot: East Point College, Bangalore

Quant: 21,Verbal: 30

2) Your last mock score?

99.08 (CAT 2012)

Very good. It was my 2nd CAT. I gave 9-10 mocks last yr as I was in college. No mocks this yr. Could have done 2-3 questions more had I been in practice. Also, it was tougher, a lot tougher than last year's CAT exam I gave.

Longer and tougher RC's. Tougher quant questions

Don't look at the q no u r solving in quant. just mark what you get and move fwd. if u r stuck, leave the question and move fwd. make sure u do all the sitters in quant. The

The exam was tougher. Excessive practice in quant and DI will be helpful, serious candidates give atleast 15-20 mocks before the exam, if it is late, make sure u give as many as you can and improve. this cat is tough and will reward the hard worker.

I saw a girl from school almost after six years. She was in Bangalore, I did not know and was surprised. But, didn't go and talk to her 😞

All The Best guys πŸ‘

CENTER - SMG GROUP

Dr.Rajkumar Road, Rajaji Nagar, Bengaluru Karnataka 560010

DATE-20/10/2013

MORNING SHIFT-10:00 AM

SUB--NOT ALLOWED TO APPEAR EXAM I REACHED AT 9:20AM

DEAR FRENDS:

ABOVE TEST CENTER IS VERY CONFUSING NO PROPER BOARD OR NO ONE KNOW EVEN I WAS NEAR THIS CENTRE.. VERY ARROGANT PPL IN THIS TESTING CENTRE WITOUT LISTENING ANYTHING DIRECTLY THEY SAID WE WILL NOT ALLOW YOU FOR TEST, ME WITH AROUND 10-12 STUDENT RETURN BACK . SO PLS HELP ME WHERE AND TO WHOM I COMPLAIN IF POSSIBLE FOR rescheduleing MY DATES ....or CAT 2013 IS OVER FOR ME PLSSSSSSSSSSSSS

ALL FEEDBACK ARE MOST WELCOME IS DRE ANY STUDENT HELPLINE NO PROMETRIC OR IIM

QA = 19-20 and VA = 17-18 (19 Oct, 2013 2nd slot)

2) Your last mock score?

My percentile dropped considerably in last mocks to around 92.

I scored 99 and then 98 in QA (number of attempts = 24-25 and 22-23 resp) in 2011 and 2012. This year with those number of attempts not sure of what will happen to my decile.I don't know about my overall accuracy but it won't be 100 % for sure. :'(

QA has been my strength but this year even after being better prepared, I felt paper more difficult than previous years .One LR was difficult and took 15 min or more.

Level of difficulty was higher than previous years.

I gave plethora of mocks (both CL and Time). My paper was close to CL standard but since paper level has varied over different slots so not much to say on that.

You can't afford to leave sitters . Number of sitters have reduced than previous years and hence a drop in number of attempts.

Keep yourself cool and believe in yourself than any other superpower. You puys have studied whole year, your hard work will pay back.

ATB πŸ˜ƒ

Guys! It says that it calculates %ile, but wants the raw score from us...itna pata hota toh results ke liye kyun marte!πŸ˜